Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
newtmonkey
Reactions
1,312 5,234 1 65 1 15

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• [Playing] Nethergate (PC), Shin Megami Tensei (SFC) | [Finished] Phantasy Star III (MD)
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    Phantasy Star III was a major disappointment! Short, ugly, braindead easy, and completely joyless to play. It was apparently rushed through development by some team that had never made an RPG before, and it shows. Good music, though.
    Zlaja
    Zlaja
    Now play Phantasy Star IV.
    [Playing] System Shock CD (PC), Phantasy Star III (MD), Ryu ga Gotoku 7 (PS4) | [Finished] Labyrinth of Zangetsu (Switch)
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    LoZ was okay. It's Wizardry III with a Japanese coat of paint and doesn't much go beyond that. The penultimate dungeon was a high point. No need to grind levels at all to complete the game.
    Strange Fellow
    Strange Fellow
    West of Loathing is a great little game, hope you enjoy it.
    [Playing] West of Loathing (PC), Labyrinth of Zangetsu (Switch) | [Finished] Star Wars: KOTOR (PC)
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    I finished KOTOR tonight, my first time through the game. The combat and interface were awful (clearly developed with XBOX in mind), but it was overall a pretty cool game. I'd like to replay it sometime as a dark Jedi.
    Maxie
    Maxie
    Very nice game shame you habe to beat it seven times to have an opinion
    [Playing] DDS: Megami Tensei (FC), Star Wars: KOTOR (PC) [Finished] Final Fantasy USA Mystic Quest (SFC)
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    I completed FF USA, which is the Japanese version of FF Mystic Quest, because I wanted to see if there were any differences. Nothing except for the language, of course. It's a pretty lousy game, even (especially) as a beginner-friendly RPG. Final Fantasy II/IV is a much better "beginner" RPG imo.
    Lord of Riva
    Lord of Riva
    You just played Mystic quest and then start Septerra Core? It's also a really poor game, I wish you a lot of endurance for that one :salute:
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    Lord of Riva
    So far Septerra Core is not bad (certainly better than MQ!), but we'll see how it goes. I think combat is going to get pretty annoying quickly.
    [Playing] Septerra Core (PC), Star Wars: KOTOR (PC) [Finished] Lunar: The Silver Star (MCD)
    NecroLord
    NecroLord
    Ah, the smash and bash way, eh?
    I like Scout/Guardian better.
    Mostly for the implants.
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    NecroLord
    I haven't even touched any implants yet... maybe scout/guardian would make for a good second playthrough :)
    NecroLord
    NecroLord
    You need feats to equip implants.
    There's three feats in total. You should be able to pick those feats with your build, as a Soldier/Guardian you will have plenty of those.
    [Playing] Lunar: The Silver Star (MCD), Star Wars: KOTOR (PC) [Finished] Phantasy Star II (MD)
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    PSII was quite good with some very challenging dungeons to explore full of great equipment to find. Combat is pretty mindless, and half of the characters are too situational, so I ended up using Rudger, Amia, and Anne. Through normal exploration I ended up reaching level 31/32, which was high enough to defeat the last bosses without much trouble at all; no grinding required!
    [Playing] Phantasy Star II (MD) Star Wars: KOTOR (PC) [Finished] Live A Live (SFC)
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    Just finished Live A Live. I was very surprised with this excellent RPG! Nice stories, light tactical combat, and tons of variety.
    [Playing] Live A Live (SFC) | [Finished] Diablo II: LoD (PC)
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    I completed D2 earlier this year, but left the expansion for now. It was alright, but there were a lot of annoying little enemies to chase down.
    [Playing] Diablo II: LoD (PC), Live A Live (SFC) | [Finished] Pillars of Eternity (PC)
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    White March (especially Part II) was a highlight for sure.
    I didn't use any companions, rushed to the first inn and just created a full custom party, so that might have played a part in why I enjoyed it so much lol.
    Maxie
    Maxie
    heh probably why i enjoyed poe2 more. ditched the squad super fast and just ran in 4-size
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    I'll be doing the same for PoE2!
    [Playing] Pillars of Eternity (PC), Live A Live (SFC) | [Finished] Neverwinter Nights: DE (PC)
    Agesilaus
    Agesilaus
    I just finished PoE 1 this evening. :positive:
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    Agesilaus
    Congratulations! What did you think? I had given it a few tries over the years, but it finally clicked this last time and I'm enjoying it. I still have a long ways to go to complete it, though.
    Agesilaus
    Agesilaus
    I very much enjoyed it, but I think my enjoyment was only possible because of the hours I put into PoE2 over the years. I have a pretty strong grasp of the setting and could overlook the weaknesses in PoE. I would say that WM P2 was the best content in terms of writing a cohesive, interesting story. Ondra & Abyddon are now meaningful figures to me. The main story/setting really is quite dark, mature, and tragic.
    [Playing] Neverwinter Nights: DE (PC) | [Finished] Diablo III (Switch)
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    I completed Diablo III (necromancer). I like that they tried some new things with character building, but none of it was really satisfying. Too long, too easy, some of worst writing in a game ever, and no atmosphere whatsoever.
    [Playing] Diablo III (Switch), Caves of Lore (PC), Eye of the Beholder (PC) | [Finished] Cosmic Fantasy 2 (PCE)
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    I decided to give CF2 a shot after the disappointing CF1, and ended up liking it enough to blast through it (it's a pretty short game). It's only a mediocre JRPG, but a vast improvement over the dull CF1. Fun characters and situations, nice dungeons, awful combat.
    [Playing] Cosmic Fantasy 2 (PCE), Eye of the Beholder (PC), Devil Whiskey (PC) | [Finished] Cosmic Fantasy (PCE)
    PapaPetro
    You have a great list of incline throughout time. Ever think about streaming and/or maybe reviewing the games you're working on?
    I saw you had some prior content: newtmonkey.blogspot.com on gothic/horror movies.
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    PapaPetro
    Thanks! I thought about doing a blog, but figured I would come off as a CRPG Addict copycat (like a lot of the similar blogs that popped up after his got popular). I guess I'd rather just post my thoughts here on the Codex. The movie review blog was a lot of fun, but I just ran out of stuff to say about 70s/80s gore movies (though I still watch horror movies every week).
    PapaPetro
    Gore! That's the word I was looking for!
    Well
    rating_thanks.png
    for post up your experiences here in the Codex. Maybe you can start a gore movie thread; I'm sure there's a lot of other Dexers that have a lot to say about the topic. I mean this place has been great place to discover other good stuff you guys find out.
    [Playing] Cosmic Fantasy (PCE), Eye of the Beholder (PC), Devil Whiskey (PC) | [Finished] Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes (PCE)
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    I just completed Dragon Slayer: TLoH. Horrible first impression; probably the worst console RPG I've ever played, for the first hour or two. The game requires the main character to be a certain level just to progress the plot early on; utter nonsense. It opens up a bit after that, and then is quite good during the last 75%. Great dungeons!
    [Playing] Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes (PCE), Eye of the Beholder (PC), Devil Whiskey (PC) | [Finished] Tengai Makyo ZIRIA (PC Engine)
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    I finally completed the extremely tedious and boring Tengai Makyo ZIRIA. It's hard to believe this was sort of seen as the first "killer app" for the PC Engine CD-ROM hardware in Japan. It absolutely pales in comparison to contempory JRPGs like Phantasy Star II and Dragon Quest III. It feels good, though, to finally complete this one. The sequel is supposed to be excellent.
    [Playing] Eye of the Beholder (PC), Devil Whiskey (PC) | [Finished] Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos (PC)
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    I finally completed Lands of Lore. I've tried playing through this many times over the years, but would get annoyed/bored at either the White Tower or the Urbish Mines each time, and give up. It looks and sound fantastic, but it's just an okay game. The high point is definitely the Urbish Mines.
    [Playing] Devil Whiskey (PC), Lands of Lore: TToC (PC) | [Finished] Dragon Quest III (FC)
    CryptRat
    CryptRat
    Thanks, I know you liked DQII for the same various reasons I did so I know I'm going enjoy the third entry now.
    Tweed
    Tweed
    Geneforge 1 and 2 are both masterpieces, it all goes downhill from there.
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    CryptRat
    I think you'll love it! DQII was a top 10, maybe top 5 game for me, and DQIII has exceeded it. It does everything DQII does, but better imo.
    Tweed
    I'm still only a few hours into Geneforge 2, but it's great so far. Geneforge 1 is indeed a masterpiece imo.
    [Playing] Dragon Quest III (FC)| [Finished] Shining and the Darkness (MD)
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    I completed Shining and the Darkness (aka Shining in the Darkness) just now. A decent light blobber that gets a bit tedious and very easy toward the end, but has a cool dungeon to explore.
    [Playing] Shining and the Darkness (MD) | [Finished] Final Fantasy IV: Easy Type (SFC)
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    Just completed FFIV: Easy Type. I completed FF2US and FF4J years ago, so it was interesting to compare. It's basically FF2US, but the last boss is MUCH easier.
    [Playing] ED: Sora no Kiseki (PC), SaGa 2 (GB) | [Finished] Lennus (SFC)
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    Just completed Lennus, released as Paladin's Quest outside Japan. I was pleasantly suprised with this! Cool magic and combat system, and although there are a lot of random encounters, there's actually very little trash; even regular enemies can take you out quickly if you don't pay attention. No grinding required, and ended up finishing it at level 52.
    Zlaja
    Zlaja
    Weeb!
    [Playing] ED: Sora no Kiseki (PC), Lennus (SFC), SaGa 2 (GB) | [Finished] Diablo II (PC)
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    I completed Diablo II (w/o expansion) for the first time earlier today, as a Paladin. It was alright, but there were too many boring field areas. Still a great looking and sounding game!
    Maxie
    Maxie
    personally I find it quickly losing its appeal in Kurast, though the expansion set really is worth a try
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    I did install Lord of Destruction after beating the game, but will take a break and play something else first. I felt the same about the game losing appeal in Kurast... really tedious area imo.
    [Playing] Diablo II (PC), ED: Sora no Kiseki (PC), SaGa 2 (GB) | [Finished] Planescape: Torment (PC)
    newtmonkey
    newtmonkey
    Finally completed Planescape: Torment for the first time. The last few areas felt rushed, but overall a great game!
    Bigg Boss
    Bigg Boss
    Agreed I noticed the end was like a mad dash.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom