Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's solo Baldur's Gate 2 on Insane (feat. The Codex)

Yeah, but Thieves have the UAI HLA, which you should be able to get eventually. The only real tradeoff (apart from a crappy crossbow) is some experience, which is less of an issue when soloing.

Of course, as a mage, the Robe of Vecna would likely be more useful in most circumstances.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I somehow forgot the UAI ability while writing the post above. :retarded:
Still, I planned to leave the decision wheteher to kill Silver Dragon in the hands of the readers anyway. Assuming she dies, and the human skin armor allows casting spells with 5% failure rate we might even end up using it.

Armor in vanilla BG2 (where that screenshot is from) doesn't allow arcane spellcasting at all. One of the options in the Tweak Pack lets you still use it with a chance to fail.

Human Flesh is one of the best armors in the game, though.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
That screenshot is unfortunately irrelevant. I am using a mod that sets spellcasting failure % chance for each type of armor, instead of simply listing them as unusable for mages.

But assuming human flesh is a leather armor +5, it should have 5% spellcasting failure.

EDIT:
Looking forward to the druid-slaughter.
Hopefully, Cernd will be among the victims.
Nah, I actually like the guy. Had him on my party during my evil playthrough, along with Korgan, Viconia, Jan and Edwin.

Last edited:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Photobucket is fucking up your old updates. "Hostile Takeover" is currently unreadable.
Why would anyone want to read the old updates?

Alright, fixed for the moment.

I have found a permanent solution to the 'you have reached bandwidth limit' issue, as well as 'image quality deterioarating with time because the host provider is recompressing them to save space, and yes I am talking about you photobucket' issue.

But since it takes some time to move the images, I will prioritize the updates which people want to read and are unable to. Please let me know (here or via PM) if you encounter such a problem.

But-but-but! Playing both the "goody" silver dragon and "evul" drow removes two scheming extremist powers for the price of one (super neutral!), and also provides the means to create the prestigious human flesh armour!

The Codex actually *can't* do the most fun resolution to the Underdark questline.

Following the good path giving both Ardulace and Phaere fake eggs then sacrificing the eggs to the demon lord yourself for fun and profit. And to top it all off, turning down Demonbro's offer of a teleport out of the Underdark and going to rub it in the face of the silver dragon. The dialogue option doesn't exist for non-evil PCs.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
The Codex actually *can't* do the most fun resolution to the Underdark questline.

Following the good path giving both Ardulace and Phaere fake eggs then sacrificing the eggs to the demon lord yourself for fun and profit. And to top it all off, turning down Demonbro's offer of a teleport out of the Underdark and going to rub it in the face of the silver dragon. The dialogue option doesn't exist for non-evil PCs.

:rage:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Reading this LP made me start my own solo playthrough of the BG series. Halfway through SoA I must say it's a relief to only have to manage one character. I don't mind having the party, makes for many more viable strategies, but only having a single character means you have to rethink many of the interesting encounters.

Of course, Set Spring Trap is horribly overpowered, so some of the special encounters suddenly seem trivial, if you get that skill. But still, great fun overall! Thank you MicoSelva. :salute:

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
In case you didn't notice, dice-rolling is available again, so you can do a proper random quest selection.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Yeah, I know. Blame my job.
I'm hoping to be able to post an update today/tomorrow and another one this week.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
codex_10.jpg
I'm baaaack!

Let's never do that again, shall we? I have now scheduled daily save game backup. No more replaying the same shit, or I will go crazy.

codex_10.jpg
'Will' go crazy? As if you were sane right now.

Look who's talking.

-----

Update #26: I'm Going On An Adventure!

bg2_up26_000.jpg

There have been a few minor changes to The Codex as a character after the save game crash.

bg2_up26_001.jpg

First, I have distributed thieving skills a bit differently, which means our set traps is at 54 at the moment. Probably still too low to be useful in That One Incoming Encounter, but it's a start.

bg2_up26_002.jpg

Second, I took the opportunity to improve staff proficiency instead of putting a point in short swords. This makes The Codex a capable fighter with Staff of the Magi in hands, although it did make fight with Kangaxx (using Sword of the Mask) a real pain in the arse. Backstab efficiency should not be affected by this change.

bg2_up26_003.jpg

No changes here.

bg2_up26_004.jpg

We have exactly 666 kills at the moment. Couldn't be better even if I planned it.

bg2_up26_005.jpg

But enough of this, it's time for some adventuring!

codex_10.jpg
I'd say.

bg2_up26_006.jpg

And straight into action.

codex_10.jpg
Exactly how I like it!

bg2_up26_007.jpg

Do You remember Your first encounter with dire wolves, right outside Candlekeep?

codex_10.jpg
No. And I strongly advise you to forget about it too.

Time for some plot.

codex_10.jpg
What, already? And this quest started so well.

bg2_up26_008.jpg

bg2_up26_009.jpg

bg2_up26_010.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Quite talkative for an NPC that doesn't even have a name.

bg2_up26_011.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Khan?

No, I am not linking to "Khaaaan!". It sort of lost its charm after Into Darkness.

bg2_up26_012.jpg

codex_10.jpg
My seventh sense tells me to try pickpocketing on this gin.

Djinn.

codex_10.jpg
That's what I said.

bg2_up26_013.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I guess this makes the summon efreeti spell obsolete. Have I even used it at all?

Nope.

Plot ahoy.

codex_10.jpg
*sigh*

bg2_up26_014.jpg

bg2_up26_015.jpg

bg2_up26_016.jpg

bg2_up26_017.jpg

bg2_up26_018.jpg

bg2_up26_019.jpg

tl;dr: The djinns are too lazy to pursue the rakshasa on their own and would like you to do it instead.

codex_10.jpg
What else is new?

bg2_up26_020.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Tell me more.

bg2_up26_021.jpg

codex_10.jpg
If I'm too hardcore for fortune-telling, shouldn't I also be immune to divination spells?

That's just your inner munchkin talking.

codex_10.jpg
I *am* my inner munchkin.

bg2_up26_022.jpg

I've just remembered it was dread wolves back then, not dire wolves.

codex_10.jpg
What's the difference?

125 XP for a Dire Wolf, 650 for Dread Wolf.

codex_10.jpg
Now I feel scammed.

bg2_up26_023.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I highly doubt that wolves burned your house down, kid.

bg2_up26_024.jpg

bg2_up26_025.jpg

codex_10.jpg
It seems that my awesome level is over 9000 now. People explode at the mere sight of me. As it should be.

bg2_up26_026.jpg

bg2_up26_027.jpg

codex_10.jpg
What? There is only one whore in town and she's too tired to work?

Well, that kind of makes sense...

codex_10.jpg
If I wasn't convinced to help the city before, then I am now!

A *lot* more plot ahead.

codex_10.jpg
Some adventure we're having so far today.

bg2_up26_029.jpg

bg2_up26_030.jpg

bg2_up26_031.jpg

bg2_up26_032.jpg

bg2_up26_033.jpg

bg2_up26_034.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I only stayed here and listened to all this because I was hoping you would go snikt on me, Logan. Are you going to go snikt on me?

I don't think you should be expecting that anytime soon.

codex_10.jpg
Disappointing.

bg2_up26_035.jpg

bg2_up26_036.jpg

bg2_up26_037.jpg

bg2_up26_038.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Will I also be disappointed if I expect this guy to have something in common with the hadron collider?

Yes.

bg2_up26_039.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Maybe you people should consider, I don't know, CLOSING THE GATES?

bg2_up26_040.jpg

I like how when you deal the killing blow with Staff of the Magi, it is always 'Death' first and 'Dispell Effects' second. I don't think the corpses care that you dispel their magic, staff.

codex_10.jpg
Stop talking to my staff, it's weird.

Some more dialogues ahead.

codex_10.jpg
ADVENTURE!

bg2_up26_041.jpg

bg2_up26_042.jpg

bg2_up26_043.jpg

bg2_up26_044.jpg

bg2_up26_045.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Good thing I met this lass, or I wouldn't be able to solve the jins' quest later on!

Right.

bg2_up26_046.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I guess the plot does not want us to enter this place just yet. Is there anything else to do here?

I don't think so.

bg2_up26_047.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Time to pay a visit to the druids then.

bg2_up26_048.jpg

After a short journey, we are greeted by a local.

bg2_up26_049.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Should I be insulted by 'interloper'? I'm not sure.

bg2_up26_051.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Trolls! It's been quite a while since I've last fought them. NOT.

And so begins The Codex' road to Druid Grove, riddled with dangers.

bg2_up26_052.jpg

Trolls.

codex_10.jpg
[*smack*]

bg2_up26_054.jpg

Spiders.

codex_10.jpg
[*smack*]

bg2_up26_055.jpg

More trolls!

codex_10.jpg
[*smack*]

bg2_up26_057.jpg

More spiders!

codex_10.jpg
[*smack*]

bg2_up26_059.jpg

Even more trolls!

codex_10.jpg
This is stupid.

bg2_up26_060.jpg

Finally, we encounter something that actually is a threat.

codex_10.jpg
More than one something.

bg2_up26_061.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Ouch! Look what you've done! Now I'll have to waste a healing potion on this encounter.

bg2_up26_062.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Bad troll!

bg2_up26_063.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I fucking hate when they do that.

bg2_up26_064.jpg

codex_10.jpg
This is one badass looking lair.

I wonder what's inside.

bg2_up26_065.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Three guesses.

I'll pass.

bg2_up26_066.jpg

Ring of Gaxx is so good that our hero was able to regenerate to full health during this fight.

bg2_up26_067.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Ooh, 47! I really like this sword.

bg2_up26_068.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Where did you come from?

bg2_up26_069.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Uh, getting a bit crowded in here.

bg2_up26_070.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Three more to go...

bg2_up26_071.jpg

codex_10.jpg
My face! My beautiful face!

bg2_up26_072.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Stop hitting me!

bg2_up26_073.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Khrr...

Look at the bright side. Maybe a hole in Your lung will allow You to breathe more efficiently?

bg2_up26_074.jpg

Maybe we will need to test this theory some other time.

Death Count: 147

codex_10.jpg
Have you ever been hit in the face by a giant troll?

No, I don't believe I have. But I'm guessing it hurts.

codex_10.jpg
Yes. And their fists stink.

bg2_up26_075.jpg

As per usual custom, we try the same thing again.

bg2_up26_076.jpg

codex_10.jpg
But with some spellcasting this time.

bg2_up26_077.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I wonder if this will make me immune to their punches...

bg2_up26_078.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Note to self: trolls have magical fists. Also: aaaaarrrrrgghhh!

bg2_up26_079.jpg

Magical fists. I mean, really?

Death Count: 148

Load game.

codex_10.jpg
Repeating the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is madness.

bg2_up26_080.jpg

That is why we will go left this time, instead of right.

bg2_up26_081.jpg

codex_10.jpg
One troll = no problem.

bg2_up26_083.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Like I said.

bg2_up26_084.jpg

I think we've found our culprits.

bg2_up26_086.jpg

Troll rape squad incoming!

codex_10.jpg
Mirror image!

bg2_up26_087.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Please stop doing that, this is demigod blood you're spilling. Not easy to come by, you know.

bg2_up26_088.jpg

Can't go right, can't go left.

Death Count: 149

Reload.

codex_10.jpg
Two giant trolls and one spirit troll = big problem.

Let's try to separate them.

bg2_up26_089.jpg

We lure the spirit troll out...

bg2_up26_090.jpg

..and manage to kill it before the two giant trolls respond to its distress calls.

codex_10.jpg
Yes!

bg2_up26_091.jpg

The rest is obvious.

bg2_up26_092.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Lookey-lookey.

bg2_up26_093.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I don't even remember what bracers I am wearing right now.

Gloves of Pick Pocketing, I think. These are an upgrade combat-wise.

bg2_up26_095.jpg

Finally, we deal with the remaining spectral troll.

bg2_up26_096.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Loot!

bg2_up26_097.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Decent, for a spear. Except all spears suck anyway.

There is one exception, or maybe two?

bg2_up26_098.jpg

Area completed!

And this is a good place for a break, I think.
Let me know what you think about the screenshot resolution change (it was 800x600, and is 640x480 now) or if image hosting change affects you in any way.

---

Next time: The second (and fortunately last) part of Trademeet and Druid Grove, uhm, adventures.

Next quest selection details:
Time to decide where we're going next. Hopefully I have not missed any votes.

1. Firkraag [Azira]
2. Firkraag [MotherMachinae]
3. Korgan's quest [Aeschylus]
4. Rescuing Haer'dalis [Erebus] Astral Prison <- not available yet
5. Firkraag [Thor Kaufman]
6. Firkraag [Storyfag]
7. Firkraag [Shadenaut]

EDIT: The roll result is a 5, so Thor Kaufman's (and a few othe people's) suggestion wins. Firkraag. This should be good.

Last edited:
If you need to use spike traps to deal with Firkraag (once or twice just for fun is okay, though), you don't deserve the very carbon that you're made of.

Oh yeah. Tough guy right here. Come at me.

(I'm not actually all that good at the game, at least judging by some people's accounts of finding it really easy.)

Erebus

Arcane
Didn't know about that efreeti bottle. Nice item !

The last few times I played the game, I just killed the Daos immediately in order to gain quick access to the cool stuff some of the merchants of Trademeet have to sell. You probably gain less XP that way, but slaughtering an arrogant quest-giver is a reward in itself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom