Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's solo Baldur's Gate 2 on Insane (feat. The Codex)

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
19. Watcher's Keep, level 1 [Watcher's Keep]

Supposed to be Mrowak

Interesting fact(for me at least). There is actually no such spell as teleport in BG2. Even if you cheat it for yourself, it just casts that ring effect and you don't move anywhere. NPC's just get removed from map by a script or something along those lines. I was pretty disappointed when I found that out. You'd think, that with everyone and their moms teleporting around like crazy in that game, the damn protagonist would get some of that action, but no, you're the dumbfuck that huffs it everywhere, even at godly levels. IWD iirc had an actual working tp spell, although very short range, which was a little pleasant surprise after BG2 derp.

The travesty is all the greater since BG1 had a working teleport spell.

Which was useless. :/

Erebus

Arcane
I don't think I ever had a thief with a good score in Detect Illusions. If it nullifies Mirror Image, Improved Invisibility, Shadow Door, etc., I guess it could be fairly useful to a soloing PC.

Bilgefar

Savant
There definitely are a lot of reused locations in BG2. I guess it's acceptable since there's so much content, though.

Hopefully I have not missed any votes so far (never expected so many). If someone notices that I have, let me know please.

I think I voted for Watcher's Keep at some point. Or at least, I'm voting for it now.

Unwanted

Likvidator

Unwanted
Queued
considering how many lives 'lightning' has taken
you d think they d teach em not to use it

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think I voted for Watcher's Keep at some point. Or at least, I'm voting for it now.
There's a new vote after the previously chosen quest is finished. I'll make sure to add Yours to the count.

I'm not really missing the Dimension Door spell from BG1, because it wasn't very useful in the first place and I never bothered to try to bug-cheat with it.

Last edited:

ALchymist

Educated
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
The travesty is all the greater since BG1 had a working teleport spell.

Which was useless. :/

Unless you changed map during casting. Then it could be (buggily) godly :dance:. Probably why it was removed.

What did it do?
You would teleport to the same location on the new map that you set on the old map. You could use it to bypass all sorts of obstacles. As a minimum, you could cross any map instantly. But you could break sequence spectacularly as well. Baldur's Gate city at level 1? Straight back into Candlekeep?

I'll vote for the first level of Watcher's Keep.

Detect Illusions is pretty handy. Like a free True Sight whenever you want it, which is neat considering how common those sorts of illusion spells really are in the game. Also, the Rod of Resurrection is really good even soloing, as it fully heals the target as well, making it an (almost) instant Heal spell, and it comes with (I think) 10 charges.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
the Rod of Resurrection is really good even soloing, as it fully heals the target as well, making it an (almost) instant Heal spell, and it comes with (I think) 10 charges.
That is useful, but inventory slots are our most scarce resource and while we can have a buttload of healing potions thanks to the potion container, the rod would take up one of them so I've decided to skip it.

As you will. Doesn't matter too much, as there are others you can get if you do change your mind. I usually use my bag of holding for various wands that might come in handy (and that I tend to never use, except in the final battle, where I use like three of them).

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Yeah, usually I carry all sorts of wands and rods around, but inventory space is precious in a solo game (bag of holding is still rather far away), so I am limiting myself to one at a time. We have more stashed, though.

We will need the Rod of Resurrection for a 'quest' in ToB, so I need to make sure I get one by that time.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Last time on Let's Insane Solo Baldur's Gate 2:

bg2_up34_097.jpg

As our hero failed to stop bounty hunters from capturing the friendly actor troupe, he makes a strong resolve to free them asap.

codex_10.jpg
Also, I have nothing better to do at the moment.

------

Update #35: Almost Like Torment

bg2_up35_000.jpg

codex_15.jpg
I feel stronger.

We start with levelling up. The HP we get is an even one (only odd ones improve are survivability due to Insane difficulty's 2x damage modifier), but a +1 to THAC0 never hurts.

bg2_up35_001.jpg

We enter the portal invisible, so there is no immediate on-sight script trigger. This allows us to notice that there are a total of nine charmed thralls here. Usually I just slaughter them along with the rest of the enemies, because that is the easiest way. Keeping them all alive doesn't make much sense anyway and is probably too dificulut even for our hero to achieve.

codex_10.jpg
Bullshit. I bet I can do it.

You sure?

codex_10.jpg
Just watch me.

Fine, suit yourself.

bg2_up35_002.jpg

We make ourselves visible, which causes the bounty hunter to start talking to some slave and get interrupted by The Codex' entrance. Ah, the joys of scripted events.

bg2_up35_003.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Why do they call me 'prime'? I can't exactly turn into a truck. Although there should be spell for that.

Prime as in prime material plane.

codex_10.jpg
What's that?

Nevermind. Just kill them, ok?

bg2_up35_004.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Bring it on, puppies!

bg2_up35_005.jpg

codex_10.jpg
My lung! Can't... breathe...

Stoneskin, quick!

bg2_up35_006.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Whew! For a moment there, I though I was going to die!

bg2_up35_007.jpg

Darn.

Death count: 181

Load.

codex_10.jpg
I think this quest's difficulty level has just spiked.

bg2_up35_008.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I have a feeling I am going to need stoneskin in a moment.

Metagaming engaged.

bg2_up35_009.jpg

Stoneskin protects our hero from unneeded daggers in the back.

bg2_up35_010.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Fuck, just when my eyebrows have grown back!

Aawil dies first.

bg2_up35_011.jpg

One of the spell-flinging yuan-tis is our second victim.

bg2_up35_012.jpg

The other one has cast Protection From Magical Weapons.

codex_10.jpg
Fucker!

bg2_up35_013.jpg

So we turn our attention to the others, along with engaging potion-quaffing emergency protocol.

bg2_up35_014.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Ow. And once again ow.

Stoneskin has worn off. Well, it was fun while it lasted.

bg2_up35_015.jpg

We have more than one prepared, of course, but casting it means we can't quaff another healing potion for the moment. Hopefully it won't mean dying.

bg2_up35_016.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Mwahahahaha! Slaughter!

bg2_up35_017.jpg

The snake mage's protection has worn off in the meantime.

bg2_up35_018.jpg

codex_10.jpg
It's been a while since I've fought one of these.

bg2_up35_019.jpg

codex_10.jpg
What do we have here?

bg2_up35_020.jpg

bg2_up35_021.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Both of these are dime a dozen.

And we don't really have spare backpack space to carry them around.

bg2_up35_022.jpg

I've always liked this spell. It's about time we had some fun with it.

bg2_up35_023.jpg

codex_10.jpg
And this is like an improved Cloud Kill. I already like it.

bg2_up35_024.jpg

I only wish we had more level 6 spell slots.

bg2_up35_025.jpg

Tagget here will explain what we have to do in this place, in many words.

bg2_up35_026.jpg

bg2_up35_027.jpg

bg2_up35_028.jpg

bg2_up35_029.jpg

bg2_up35_030.jpg

bg2_up35_031.jpg

bg2_up35_032.jpg

bg2_up35_033.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Updated my journal.

tl;dr: We need to kill the Warden, but Tagget wants us to kill the Master of Thralls first, so we can free the thralls. This is a pretty cool quest design, because if someone wants to breeze through this place, You can kill the warden pretty fast (he is very close to the starting point) and be done with this place.

Of course that is not the right approach to play a good RPG, which is like eating at a fancy restaurant. You are supposed to enjoy it in Your own pace, not try to finish as fast as You can.

bg2_up35_034.jpg

Before we go on, there is some more looting to do.

bg2_up35_035.jpg

codex_10.jpg
A non-generic armor design is always exciting!

bg2_up35_036.jpg

For a moment there I though we have found Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting, but it's just a similar spell icon.

codex_10.jpg
Biggest disappointment since opening last Christmas gifts.

bg2_up35_037.jpg

codex_10.jpg
A spell that protects you from spells that remove protection from spells that protect you from everything else. Check.

bg2_up35_038.jpg

We learn both, of course. The Codex having 19 intelligence means we don't have to worry about spell book capacity limits.

bg2_up35_039.jpg

We have found a contender to challenge Robe of Vecna, but we won't be able to try it out before getting Use Any Item Ability.

codex_10.jpg
You want me to wear a magical chain mail after I've made so much fun of them?

We were never big on consistency here, so I don't see why not.

bg2_up35_040.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Some boots and another Neb's nasty cutter?

bg2_up35_041.jpg

Ah, the famous boots of speed. Great for hit and run tactics and for cheesing encounters, especially when used together with Staff of the Magi's instant invisibility. We will keep them, of course, but for the moment The Codex will still be wearing Boots of Evasion for their +4 AC bonus vs. missiles.

bg2_up35_042.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Prick, hehehehe.

Not quite Celestial Fury level, but still one of the better daggers in the game IMO.

bg2_up35_043.jpg

And we're out of inventory space again with no way of selling excess loot. Just great.

bg2_up35_044.jpg

Sadly, we won't even bother to pick this up. J.E. Sawyer's unlimited stash can't arrive soon enough as far as I'm concerned.

bg2_up35_045.jpg

As I don't really remember the layout of the prison, let's head in a random direction.

codex_10.jpg
Isn't it what we usually do?

bg2_up35_046.jpg

codex_10.jpg
WTF just happened?

You got sucked in by that strange breathing thing on the floor.

codex_10.jpg
So.... this place sucks!

...Yes... Thankfully, You're invisible.

codex_10.jpg
I was invisible. Now I'm invisible AND protected from normal weapons.

bg2_up35_047.jpg

bg2_up35_048.jpg

Since minotaurs can't hurt us, we dispose of both prison captains first.

bg2_up35_049.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Just in case the protection wears off before I finish them off: Carrie!

bg2_up35_051.jpg

The rest is history.

bg2_up35_052.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Now I'm curious where the other suckdoor leads to.

Why don't we find out?

bg2_up35_053.jpg

codex_10.jpg
This might have been a mistake.

bg2_up35_054.jpg

We probably should have tried a backstab here.

bg2_up35_055.jpg

TBH this doesn't look very good.

bg2_up35_056.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Uhrk.

bg2_up35_057.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Not that I expect this stoneskin to help. An undead chicken could kill me right now.

bg2_up35_058.jpg

Yeah, it didn't help.

Death Count: 182

codex_10.jpg
Time for some buffs?

Not just yet.

bg2_up35_059.jpg

Standing at this spot, we are outside golems' sight range. Hopefully they won't join the combat.

bg2_up35_060.jpg

Unfortunately, they do.

bg2_up35_061.jpg

Using the distraction provided by our Web spell, we try to destroy the golems while Stoneskin still holds.

bg2_up35_062.jpg

At some point we cast Dispel Magic to unbuff other enemies.

bg2_up35_063.jpg

Eventually we are forced to renew the Stoneskin.

bg2_up35_064.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Golems are DOWN! Fuck yeah!

The rest should be manageable, but let's not lose focus just yet.

bg2_up35_065.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Fuck, it's cold!

bg2_up35_066.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Hasta la vista, baby!

bg2_up35_067.jpg

The Codex moves away and bombs the shit out of webbed enemies.

bg2_up35_068.jpg

codex_10.jpg
BOOM, fuckers!

And again.

bg2_up35_069.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I think I broke him.

Only the cleric prison captain is left.

bg2_up35_070.jpg

codex_10.jpg
And done.

Not quite. Those ogres are still alive.

codex_10.jpg
What ogres?

bg2_up35_072.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Oh, these. I haven't noticed them.

bg2_up35_073.jpg

More generic magical loot which we can't carry.

bg2_up35_074.jpg

And more.

bg2_up35_075.jpg

We might actually make some space for this.

I should probably mention that we killed the cambion/warden at this point, because I mistook him for Master of Thralls. When I realized my mistake, I reloaded and we went in the opposite direction, leaving the final boss for, well, the final. In the end it made for a slightly more interesting cambion fight, because we used up some spells while exploring other parts of the prison.
bg2_up35_076.jpg

These guys are all thralls, so we shall ignore them.

bg2_up35_077.jpg

codex_10.jpg
No game, I'm freshly out of companion cubes.

bg2_up35_078.jpg

Another floorsucker ahead.

codex_10.jpg
Dibs.

bg2_up35_079.jpg

codex_10.jpg
They must have been arrested on their way to NWN2, for interplanar speeding or something.

bg2_up35_080.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I don't really feel like fighting you, uglies, so...

bg2_up35_081.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Using this spell always make me feel better inside.

bg2_up35_082.jpg

We got a nice supply of potion from this 'encounter'.

bg2_up35_083.jpg

The yuan-tis here are accompanied by a couple of thralls, so we leave them alone for now.

bg2_up35_084.jpg

codex_10.jpg
After fighting dragons, facing a wyvern will never feel the same.

bg2_up35_085.jpg

codex_10.jpg
It talks! Let's see if I can fix that...

bg2_up35_086.jpg

codex_10.jpg
There, done!

bg2_up35_087.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I think we've found our guy.

---

Next time: The Codex will try to keep all the thralls alive with the use of surgical strikes, crowd control techniques and misclicks.
Next quest selection details:

Luckily I was able to post this update before the weekend, so I actually might have time to play through the next quest before another working week pulls me away from my PC. It is time for the roll!

1. Korgan's Quest [Sodafish]
2. Illithids in Athkatla [Erebus]
3. Illithids in Athkatla [MotherMachinae]
4. Watcher's Keep, level 1 [Desmodus Rotundus]
5. Watcher's Keep, level 1 [Azira]
6. Illithids in Athkatla [Storyfag]
7. Illithids in Athkatla [Aeschylus]
8. Watcher's Keep, level 1 [grosstraktor]
9. Korgan's Quest [Insane Psychic]
10. Korgan's Quest [Rake]
11. Watcher's Keep, level 1 [JoKa]
12. Korgan's Quest [Rivmusique]
13. Watcher's Keep, level 1 [T(D?)-Bag]
14. Korgan's Quest [Stygian Lurker]
15. Illithids in Athkatla [Shadenuat]
16. Illithids in Athkatla [Krivol]
17. Illithids in Athkatla [Darth Roxor]
18. Illithids in Athkatla [ALchymist]
19. Watcher's Keep, level 1 [Watcher's Keep]
20. Illithids in Athkatla [Abelian]
21. Watcher's Keep, level 1 [Thor Kaufman]
22. Watcher's Keep, level 1 [Bilgefar]
23. Korgan's Quest [t]
24. Watcher's Keep, level 1 [Rod Rodderson]

EDIT: And it is Watcher's Keep level 1, for better or worse.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
I'm a bit wary of Codex becoming too stronk for rest of the game if he ventures too deep into WK.

Last edited:

Erebus

Arcane
Keeping all the thralls alive ? Quite a challenge. The three who're by themselves should be fine (though it can happen that one of them isn't freed from the spell instantly and is thus attacked by the other two). Rescuing the others, however, will require slaughtering most of the monsters surrounding them before destroying the orb. I guess the Boots of Speed + Staff of the Magi combo should help a lot.

On the plus side, it seems that the enemies south of the wyvern are only yuan-tis. Things can get much more annoying when they're Umber Hulks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom