Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 Thread - Director's Cut

Black

Arcane
Doesn't the perma haste only work outside of combat? I imagine the dude did that because Inxile didn't bother dividing huge areas into smaller maps.
Fucking rail nomads and titan canyon jesus christ

Greatness

Cipher
Yup, it's only out of combat. I understand why people would want it, but it just felt wrong to me. Might be better just to make the walk speed super fast so you can cross maps when needed without always feeling like your characters stole some boots of speed from baldur's gate.

Bradylama

Arcane
The loading times in this game, Jesus Christ. Best way to prevent scumming, I guess.

People who load quickly, do you have this installed on an SSD? I am guessing that's where the hiccup is since the install size is fucking enormous.

Yes. My load times are about 10 seconds, which is just enough time to keep savescumming a chore. As it should be.

Greatness

Cipher
If anyone wants the mod, I've uploaded it here.

What it does:
Sets Critical Fail chance to 0%.
Reduces skill usage animations to 1 second.

How to install:
Backup the "Assembly-CSharp.dll" file in your WL2_Data\Managed folder.
Copy/Replace the new "Assembly-CSharp.dll" over the original one.

If for some reason it breaks your shit just overwrite it with your backup.

All credit should go to Kulin over at the inXile forums. He didn't have a version that included only those two features so I imitated his work to make one for myself.

cutterjohn

Cipher
no really what's happening with our codex keys

i might wake up in the morning to my country saying it's too gay faggot wimp coward pussy faggot to rule itself, u better have a fuckin game ready for me
Sadly the faggotty english bought off enough of your countrymen with lies and other false promises... ya'll need to hook up with sinn fein.

[EDIT]
I'm still waiting for my fucking superuber shitty boxed fucking set to show up, but in the meantime I have teh steam release...

Frankly, I'm kinda underwhelmed from oh about an hour of play so far...
[/EDIT]

Tigranes

Arcane
Ugh. Damonta is a fucking slog. Someone tell me:

Where is the plane Red is looking for? I have almost the whole map explored and I really just want to go straight there because some genius decided to give him 35 health and I am not shepherding him through more battles.

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter

Where is the plane Red is looking for? I have almost the whole map explored and I really just want to go straight there because some genius decided to give him 35 health and I am not shepherding him through more battles.

It's not in Damonta, it's at the same place as the Silo. You're supposed to exit the Damonta map up top.

Tigranes

Arcane

It's not in Damonta, it's at the same place as the Silo. You're supposed to exit the Damonta map up top.

Thanks. Oh, for fuck's sake. But I can't leave the map without all the quests failing and the locals whining the Rangers abandoned them...

...updated savefile to give Red 999 hp.

Shadenuat

Arcane
And I, haha, finished whole map with that 35 hp idiot. Killed everything, but forgot 1 turret, which made one quest fail anyway.

Tigranes

Arcane
It's just a huge pain in the ass to protect a 35hp dude who keeps moving around against enemies who move 25 tiles a turn AND can diagonally run past your dudes.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I used the same method as here, just left out the speed boost since having a permanent haste spell on seemed pretty stupid.
At first I thought as much, and 40% probably would be a better speed increase; but then, after sewers, and Hollywood and other locations, I actually got over it and enjoyed "Haste spell" greatly. And if I would to replay the game, it would improve the experience by lot for me too.

How do you feel about deterministic skill checks?
I don't think dud randomness that doesn't lead to anything new or not important in some mechanic for event creation (combat) ever belonged in CRPGs (at least those that do not permanently run in Iron Man mode). I very much like design like in Underrail. If you're adding probabilities of success you'd better think how it will add to the gameplay. For example, a minefield in the open that can be savescummed through or shot with pistol isn't a very interesting problem to solve. But a minefield with random chance to disarm and enemies shooting at you behind it not allowing to disarm it without engaging into combat is something different. Although, it would be different even if disarming mines would take time and place you in the open. Do you try and win a sniper duel against enemy in superior position? Do you send heavely armored character mine-thrall? Maybe shoot some crazy animal first so it would clean minefield?

Deterministic skill checks, I think they're about finding right way to navigate game's environment and face challenges in most efficient way. That may lead to skill points hoarding and savescumming, but at least every character plays game differently and designer is put into a position where he must think of how player is going to use every skill and when.

Last edited:

Norfleet

It's just a huge pain in the ass to protect a 35hp dude who keeps moving around against enemies who move 25 tiles a turn AND can diagonally run past your dudes.
Protip: It helps to clear zones of hostiles before picking up anyone following you around. It also helps if you carefully box in your herd prior to initiating combat: They can't run at the enemy if you trap them behind your guys in a corner.

Doesn't the perma haste only work outside of combat? I imagine the dude did that because Inxile didn't bother dividing huge areas into smaller maps.
Fucking rail nomads and titan canyon jesus christ
How would that make it better? Dividing the area into smaller maps just adds MORE LOAD SCREENS to every move!

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Man this game is a cakewalk even on Supreme Jerk (once you fail for a bit and remake your party accordingly). Just blew Jackhammer into oblivion with burst headshots.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Some sort of an awesome button that allows you to see enemy's LOS."

Fukkin' cheese.

"Another thing that could be useful is if when you hover mouse over enemy to shoot him, you get either what damage you will make or maybe some sort of shield/nekked icon if he is armored/not armored (I believe new X-COM had that). Would help greatly when you want to know if you want to use energy weapon or a sidearm. There probably is some way of knowing it but all enemies in endgame have about the same armor (6-7), and enemy types do not help at all. Like badgers. They're animals so not armored right. WRONG. Burn like fries with appropriate amount of plasma."

FFS The game already tells you want the enemies' armour is. HOLY FUCK!

"Every type of weapon skill should be viable through whole game"

DIAGNOSIS: Sawyer Detected. It's bad enough that unarmed can do lots of friggin' damage . Dumbed down shit.

"In Wasteland 2 you can really only max 1 weapon skill, since there are many skills to cover."

Bullshit.

"Fucking rail nomads"

WTF? Large areas are mega fun! I love the Rail nomads. Exploring that place is beautiful.

Norfleet

Fukkin' cheese.
Wait, isn't this already in the game, under perception or something? I can't say I've looked too hard for it, but I heard something like this. This isn't really a stealth game in any form, though.

Tigranes

Arcane
So, after an interesting quest outcome where the 'peaceful' option precipitated a whole lot of violence, the questgiver that I spurned is lying splattered in blood, cursing me with his last breath..

You suck!

Congrats inXile, that's officially Worse Than Bioware.

It's Father Enola once you disarm the Titan in Silo 7. Seriously?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So, after an interesting quest outcome where the 'peaceful' option precipitated a whole lot of violence, the questgiver that I spurned is lying splattered in blood, cursing me with his last breath..

Congrats inXile, that's officially Worse Than Bioware.

So basically what you are saying is... every single encounter where you, as a player, decide to try a peaceful solution to a situation MUST always end in a complete peaceful resolution?

Seriously?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
It would've been a good opportunity to wake the player up a bit, since RPG protagonists always tend to meddle with shit that isn't any of their business. You know, underlining the fact that things would've been so much better if you just didn't do anything.

But right now it is more than a bit artificial.

Shadenuat

Arcane

Fukkin' cheese.
In wargames with LOS you are allowed to check LOS&distances any time with a tape to know if decision you are making is the one you actually want.

So basically what you are saying is... every single encounter where you, as a player, decide to try a peaceful solution to a situation MUST always end in a complete peaceful resolution?
Uh, I don't think that was exactly what pissed Tigranes off.

Last edited:

Norfleet

Well, considering you didn't do his quest the way he wanted it done, I can't imagine why you'd expect him to be happy with your actions. But frankly, that guy was a slimewad and had it coming.

And you'd think it would be pretty obvious that violence would almost certainly erupt as a result of anything you did. The place was a powderkeg just waiting to explode, more so than it was already exploding. You have an army there waiting to attack a bunch of guys armed with nuclear suicide bombs being held back only by the fact that those guys allegedly had a really big nuke. You had an army of bandits, and I sort of say "had", because as far as I can tell, they were all DEAD by the time I left the canyon due to their desire to try to kill me...

Well, it was inevitable that SOMETHING would explode. Although I'd have thought that DBM would be at least happier about my actions, given that had already removed one of the three factions there and disarmed the ones they wanted me to disarm. There was no peaceful option. Violence was going to happen, it was just a matter of to whom and how much.

But a minefield with random chance to disarm and enemies shooting at you behind it not allowing to disarm it without engaging into combat is something different. Although, it would be different even if disarming mines would take time and place you in the open. Do you try and win a sniper duel against enemy in superior position? Do you send heavely armored character mine-thrall? Maybe shoot some crazy animal first so it would clean minefield?
It wouldn't even need to be a random chance to disarm. It's perfectly possible for the same situation to exist even when there is an absolutely definite chance of successfully disarming them, except that trying to do so in the middle of people SHOOTING AT YOU is kind of...unsafe...for reasons totally unrelated to chances of disarming things. And yeah, the random skill check thing really does sort of demand save-scumming, because you're not really offered a choice: Do you want to complete the game, or do you want to be randomly locked out of finishing things for reasons completely unrelated to anything you did?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I would suppose Tigranes is referring to the 'you suck!' line and not the outcome itself, in which case he is absolutely right.

Redding really is teh hard it seems.

Norfleet

It would've been a good opportunity to wake the player up a bit, since RPG protagonists always tend to meddle with shit that isn't any of their business. You know, underlining the fact that things would've been so much better if you just didn't do anything.
Naw, the option of disarming the nuke is pretty much the status quo. Keep in mind, as you set out, you know the nuke that the Monks have is fake already. So as it stands, nobody has the nuke, the monks are losing men faster than they can get new ones, and the situation is slowly, or maybe not so slowly, deteriorating anyway. Personally, I figured that in such a situation, the DBM would come out on top anyway, since none of the actions you would have taken there would have worked against their plan.

I would suppose Tigranes is referring to the 'you suck!' line and not the outcome itself, in which case he is absolutely right.
Seems right to me. A silver-tongued snake left at a loss for words as he lays dying in the dirt and his cult crumbles around him.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Well for one thing the description of Charisma is completely misleading at the character screen, because its impact on dialogue is negligible.
Not sure that's quite true, there are situations where different opportunities will open depending on your Charisma - but it's not tied to specific speech checks and isn't telegraphed by the game directly.

For example, the little group of raiders/potential ranger recruits at the Radio Tower gives you a 'Mysterious Shrine' location if you have high enough Charisma.

Endemic

Arcane
Didn't get far (two lines of Vargas' speech) before a bug related to player-made parties crashed the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom