Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Oh don't worry I would never talk like that in a post aimed at the devs. I think some of OE read this forum although we may have scared them off with all the negative beta comments. Haven't seen badler online on here since August. So sure there's a chance they'll see it but we're among friends here right? Fuck da political correctness then

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
ElvenRogue said:
I personally find Sensuki irritating, guilty of overstating the qualities of I.E combat, a serial powergamer (see the IWD LP) and too eager to pour his antipodean scorn over every major (or minor) feature / suggestion he takes issue with.

That thread is a goldmine. "Serial powergamer" has a ring to it.

Athelas

Arcane
'Antipodean scorn'? :lol: Maybe you could get him banned for racism.

EDIT: Oh wait, he's actually defending you.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
To an extent, he is defending Sensuki, but that first sentence just cracked me up.

I need to fire up the beta again. I am not sure what to do with melee engagement, but I am not a fan if is restricts movement. I would rather have a soft penalty of extra damage if you hit something in the back, but that has its own issues.

Is Josh against pre-buffing for priests? I am not sure why so many buffs require combat.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
If you would like to try the game without it I made a mod, want me to send it to you?

The downside is that the enemy AI does not have any re-targeting clauses. So once they pick a target at the start of combat, they will not change unless they lose the target.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Oh don't worry I would never talk like that in a post aimed at the devs. I think some of OE read this forum although we may have scared them off with all the negative beta comments. Haven't seen badler online on here since August. So sure there's a chance they'll see it but we're among friends here right? Fuck da political correctness then

Yeah. But even here people will get on your or anyones case if soeone thinks they are all that.

Not much to do with political correctiness

Sensuki

Arcane
People don't like it when other people get too big for their boots. I don't either but I get too big for my boots sometimes, too. Usually you don't realize until after you've done it and the momentary pride/satisfaction of whatever you have done has washed off.

Duraframe300

Arcane
People don't like it when other people get too big for their boots. I don't either but I get too big for my boots sometimes, too. Usually you don't realize until after you've done it and the momentary pride/satisfaction of whatever you have done has washed off.

Exactly

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Is Josh against pre-buffing for priests? I am not sure why so many buffs require combat.
I recall him saying he doesn't like any sort of pre-buffing.

Well, switching on a modal could be considered a form of "pre-buffing" too, and that's a-okay
Aren't modals strictly for personal use tho? Not quite the same as one character casting Bless or Protection From X on another character.

Sensuki

Arcane
Depends what it is. Paladin and Chanter auras affect the whole party. They have to be activated. Paladin auras persist outside of combat but (annoyingly) chants have to be manually started in combat. They should just be automatic. As if a Chanter is not going to chant in combat ?

Lord Andre

Arcane
HA, the character system seems more and more like a castle of cards, ready to collapse at any moment.

I said it since the beginning, the character system has to be derived from the lore of the world and the chosen rules of physics and magic for the setting. But NO, Sawyer wanted to meta-game and devise a character system in a vacuum based on no theme and no consistency and now his shit is broken. And I know that he knows that his shit is broken. I wish I could've been there when that first panic attack kicked in.
Too bad for the game though...

Anyway, why isn't Roguey posting in this thread anymore ? I want to tell it to "suck it", again.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Did Josh actually explained the reasons behind the recent changes?

The only major change has been the skill system. The people ITT saying "OMG HIS PHILOSOPHY IS COLLAPSING EVERYTHING IS CHANGING HE HAS FAILED" don't know what they're talking about, and the problems players are having with the game have nothing to do with his design philosophy anyway.

Anyway, yes, he has: http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...=17931&perpage=40&pagenumber=11#post436778011

It's not really that major a change in terms of the time to implement.

In watching how people play PoE, skill advancement was bordering on mindless. Every player I watched simply mashed one skill for their chosen character, effectively making it a non-choice. In practical terms, there were still problems with redundancy because, as in many RPGs, skills often act as keys to locks (literal and figurative). Only one person needs to be able to open the lock, meaning anyone with redundant skills simply has wasted points.

Linking skill advancement to Talents is an attempt to make the choice more meaningful and making redundancy less relevant since the primary investment for the players is the Talent, not the skill.

The normal skill progression system is disabled so we can see how it works using only Talents.

Athelas

Arcane
HA, the character system seems more and more like a castle of cards, ready to collapse at any moment.

I said it since the beginning, the character system has to be derived from the lore of the world and the chosen rules of physics and magic for the setting.
This might come as a surprise, but nobody on planet earth actually designs games that way (except in the most general sense of 'this is a fantasy RPG, so it needs magic spells').

Lord Andre

Arcane

I said it since the beginning, the character system has to be derived from the lore of the world and the chosen rules of physics and magic for the setting.
This might come as a surprise, but nobody on planet earth actually designs games that way (except in the most general sense of 'this is a fantasy RPG, so it needs magic spells').

I miss Roguey...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom