Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Help Me To Not Hate Bioware Games

Telengard

Arcane
In order to accept early 3d adventure games, one must understand that this was a relatively new field for many, and they were catering to an audience who believes depth of field trumps all - style, quality controls, gameplay. Everything must be sacrificed on the altar of depth of field. But it is not that the devs wanted to sacrifice these things, rather that the quest for depth of field ended up demanding more and more sacrifice in order to complete it. A harsh quest indeed. And one must understand that quest in order to enjoy its proceeds.

One must get into the mindset of that early cinematic camera. Treasure its wonkiness, the emasculated and frozen AI, the bland scenery - treasure it all, secure in the knowledge that all of it has been removed in order to give you that wonderful 3d view. Then bask in that view. Become awed by its wonders. Let it slip in, and let it overwhelm you. It will be painful at first...but eventually you will come to accept the pain, to even believe that it feels good. And on the day that the rape feels good, when you can at last hear the sweet nothings being whispered in your ear from behind, instead of crying yourself to sleep, then you will know that you have become one with the popamole.

And after that, you can freely play all Bioware games.

Goblino

Savant
I knew that but I honestly forgot when I started posting. I'll go eat some dicks

Latro

Arcane
it's like trying to hate your drugged up brother, you hate what they become but kinda liked them before everything went to hell

Kefka1134

Don't treat them as super serious RPGs, treat them as a hybrid between movies, CRPGs, and just generalized nerdery and geekery, and you'll be just fine.

eremita

Savant
Unless you're an edgy hipster, it's not like you have that many choices in AAA RPG world. Obsidian is changing when it comes to AAA sphere - they're making tank simulators now... Bethesda games are so fucking shitty it's almost unbelievable. With Fallout 4 out, it's more and more obvious that their games are targeted to GTA and AC fans... CDProjekt is a good company, probably the best AAA dev now, but they force upon you the main protagonist and really sucks when it comes to gameplay. Then there are JRPG devs which many people including me don't give a fuck about. And then there's Bioware, which is still somewhat decent and if you want a party based RPG and/or customizable protagonist (who's actually customizable through choices), they're the only choice...

Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of smaller companies making great RPGs recently, but from time to time, I just need to satisfy my hunger for big budget game without descending into brainless clusterfucks. Like Fallout 4.

Theldaran

Liturgist
You know, Bioware keeps making Baldur's Gate over and over again, because it's well loved, and it sells. EA keeps milking Bioware, because it sells. BG still induces a lot of hype, to me foremost, but I keep playing it because, shit... too few good games today.

I have grown tired of Bioware's schemes though, not touching Mass Effect with a ten foot pole (managed to finish 1st game)... DA:O was okay but second part was awful and Inquisition... I have spent way more hours on Pillars of Eternity (an acknowledged fail) than on it.

Today I have a hard time finding games that compel me to play them right to the end, be it on PC or on 3DS which I own.

Xeon

Augur
I enjoyed DAO, was pretty good especially Awakening, kinda wish if DA2 was similar to Awakening.
DA2, I kinda like the concept of it, no chosen one, just a guy trying to be rich or something, Time skip was kinda good idea but badly done.
ME1, really good, loved the story, only thing I dislike about it is no running in none hostile areas, took fucking forever to travel.
ME2, liked the companions and really liked the last mission.
ME3, gameplay is best but story and ending really sucks.

Don't remember much about KOTOR except that I hate wookies and Jade Empire not much. DAI, aside from the Keep, I really disliked it.

gestalt11

Arbiter
They aren't worth hating, they just suck now and that is that. Get on with your life and don't buy their games.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 are good games.

Don't listen to the hipsters. Dragon Age: Origins is a good game. The rest are garbage, though. Just think of it as one game.

I didn't like KoTOR because of the setting. Star Wars sucks, but it wasn't so bad. The art was nice, the weapons were cool, and the party system wasn't so bad. The setting just killed it, mainly (for me). I got bored with it and never finished it.

I don't play RPGs with voiced protagonists, so I don't know how the Mass Effect games are. They sound like garbage, though.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
There are things I like and things I dislike about each Bioware game, and my opinion of them really depends on how forgiving I feel for their various flaws at any given time. But out of all of them I would really only recommend BG1 and 2, and maybe ME1 if you can stand the bad cover and exploration mechanics. I'm probably in the minority for people who actually play Bioware games in that I really didn't like KOTOR; it was spoiled for me, I think, because I played KOTOR2 first, and the writing in KOTOR2 is leagues above the writing in the original.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom