Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Avernum: Escape from the Pit

Mustawd

I've so far played 64 hours and think I'm somewhere between late mid- and early end-game.
The game certainly has a lot to offer in terms of exploration, content and player freedom, but for me personally it lacks a certain something.
It's good for what it is, but I also get bored if I play it extensively over longer periods.

It mirrors my same experience. I think part of it is that there's not enough tactical variety or good enough level progression. There are some good encounters (I.e. Dungeons), but a lot of the content in between is too rote and repetitive. Enough where the exploration aspect can't save it.

Still, it's a nice game with plenty of content. But like you said it's best in limited sessions.

Gord

Arcane
Cave lore helps in some places, but IIRC you don't need to actually put a lot of points into them, as you can buy enough points throughout the game and the game applies the cumulative stat of your entire party. There should be guides out there telling you the details.
Not sure about luck, though.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Cave lore is not bad but you don't need more than... 13 points iirc in it (spread across your party) to find all secrets. It's been 3 years since I played Escape from the Pit tho so maybe it was 2 points more or less but definitely not more than 15 points.

If you have a party that has some free skill points go for it definitely, the extra exploration and rewards are worth it. Luck I did not skill, it seems too vague.

Last edited:

Mustawd

Cave lore is not bad but you don't need more than... 13 points iirc in it (spread across your party) to find all secrets. It's been 3 years since I played Escape from the Pit tho so maybe it was 2 points more or less but definitely not more 15 points.

If you have a party that has some free skill points go for it definitely, the extra exploration and rewards are worth it. Luck I did not skill, it seems too vague.

I always assumed it skewed the RNG in your favor slightly. But I'm in the dark as well.

Johannes

Arcane
Hint: when you're mostly done with the game, pick a fight with the Dragons even if you don't need to. Or mostly one of them is a big deal, possibly the hardest fight in the game (you'll come to know which one). It's nothing too special but something a bit different.

I was really annoyed how you could trivially kill Erika in this game, btw. I don't think it was like that in previous iterations, at least not in Avernum 3. But maybe same oversight was in Exile 1 / Avernum 1, not sure. Still shitty regardless.
Killing the King here was extreme simple as well, iirc.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
finally met those spiders, had no idea what you were going on about. NEAT!

I wish there was a way to keep in-game notes, so I could keep track of all the places I have to return to later, cause I got my ass kicked by enemies which were too strong for me or places I could not yet fully explore for other reasons (eg magical barriers). Cause that list sure gets bigger and bigger.

solomonhume

Novice
A few pointers:
http://spiderwebforums.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/18667-value-of-cave-lore/

http://spiderwebforums.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/17301-what-does-luck-do/

Both seem to be regarded somewhat questionable in value. CL is probably best raised through free points, training and very few skillpoints from level up, seems luck can be ignored.

You are wrong. Luck increase everything by 1%. (Melee, ranged, magical damage, healing spell, buff/debuff duration, damage resistance, and other resistances)
http://spiderwebforums.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/21738-intelligence-and-spellcraft/
It is quite good. Everyone should put 5 skills and 2 traits into luck. It is worth it

Just finished it. Loved it immensely. I remember getting bored after playing two-hour long sessions mid-way through the game, but finishing it up was pretty exhilarating. Combat still could've been better, but it was designed to be played fast, so anything boring was over pretty quickly.

solomonhume

Novice
Now, take a 3 month break and play the 2nd one. It's not worse, and some say it's better ;)

Avernum2 remake has a serious problem. Monster physical resistance grows too fast as their level grows. You'd better have a party of spellcasters.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Last edited by a moderator:
So don't play the remake of the remake -- the original remake (that is, this one http://www.avernum.com/avernum2old/index.html ) is fine. I bought it full price and thought it was well worth it. Now you can buy it as a part of the whole saga from GoG: http://af.gog.com/game/avernum_the_complete_saga?as=1649904300

Just turn off the music and play something you like in the background.

My last post was about custom playlists.

Tried the first minute of the remake remake and was fearful of its quality. Might try Avernum 2 OG now that you said this, but might not as I hear it's pretty easy to edit the new remakes via text files, which heavily appeals to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

RuySan

Augur
Just finished it. Loved it immensely. I remember getting bored after playing two-hour long sessions mid-way through the game, but finishing it up was pretty exhilarating. Combat still could've been better, but it was designed to be played fast, so anything boring was over pretty quickly.

Actually not. At least for me. Bosses in this game have way too much hp. Fighting them is awful, and there's not that incentive that many RPGs have of repeating the fight right away with different tacticts when we fail. Everytime there's a boss casting a healing spell i just go :dead:

Ippolit

Scholar
Patron
RPG Wokedex Bubbles In Memoria Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh this game :love:

VIXx6l0.png

Deleted Member 16721

Avernum: Escape From The Pit on Android is an excellent port.

The game is wonderful, one of my favorite recent RPGs that I've played. I love the rewarding exploration. To say there are interesting things around every corner would be an understatement - the whole game is an interesting thing. :)

Would have liked to see a different style of character development, though. I don't mind putting points in character stats, but the skill tree is a bit underwhelming. I really don't care much for skill trees in RPGs to begin with.

I would have liked to have seen more non-combat skills as well. Fix those things and you literally have a near-flawless RPG, at least for me it would be.

I think the writing is great, too. The game is just very interesting and keeps you wanting to explore more and more, which is the mark of a great game, in my book.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Avernum: Escape From The Pit on Android is an excellent port.

The game is wonderful, one of my favorite recent RPGs that I've played. I love the rewarding exploration. To say there are interesting things around every corner would be an understatement - the whole game is an interesting thing. :)

Would have liked to see a different style of character development, though. I don't mind putting points in character stats, but the skill tree is a bit underwhelming. I really don't care much for skill trees in RPGs to begin with.

I would have liked to have seen more non-combat skills as well. Fix those things and you literally have a near-flawless RPG, at least for me it would be.

I think the writing is great, too. The game is just very interesting and keeps you wanting to explore more and more, which is the mark of a great game, in my book.

Yes, the writing and the lore are extremely interesting. I love the opening of the game, so simple, so efficient and somehow poetic. Translated to book it would be something as great as Kafka's Metamorphosis's opening lol Radical.

But you're absolutely right I sometime regretted something above the non-stop combats. Maybe more situations explores through dialogs or non-combat skills as you say. THe thing is, despite the very good impression this game made on me I still haven't toouched my mid-game save, one year after I left it unfinished.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Well, I'd say it's one of the few games in which the endgame, which you can kind of piece together from a few elements as you like it, is on par with the preceding parts of the game -- if not better, I recommend going back to that save ;)

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Well, I'd say it's one of the few games in which the endgame, which you can kind of piece together from a few elements as you like it, is on par with the preceding parts of the game -- if not better, I recommend going back to that save ;)

I will ! Thanks for the advice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom