Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Jozoz

Prophet
That's such a vile abomination of the lore.

I guess they just think of Ghouls as zombies now. I wonder if anyone on the team even played the original Fallouts.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
And ghoul kids also never grow up! Or get sick, eat and are immune to radiation. The perfect workslave to mine uranium in tiny tunnels!
Considering that there are at least 2 NPCs in the game who willingly became ghouls after taking a special drug (!), I wonder why nobody has started a "abduct kids and turn them into ghouls" business yet.
Taking over that Rescuing them would at least haven been an emotional engaging quest to begin with, but Beth is far too Disney for that.

Yeah, they should hire the 'dex as writers, we would make Twitcher 3 look like Disneyland compared to our grimdark egdy wasteland.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Exposing yourself to high amounts of radiation and becoming a ghoul in a short time is already "normal" for Bethesda's Fallout if the plot demands it. Just look at Moira in FO3, or the toymaker in the slog. But it's still a "may or not work" situation as shown with Trash. Or, a witty way of Obsidian showing how retarded the Moira incident was (if we ignore the question how she snuck by all those ghouls outside)
That drug on the other hand is just a cheap gizmo to create some ghoul because you need one, without having to detonate a bomb to create that "needed amount" of rads.

Yeah, they should hire the 'dex as writers, we would make Twitcher 3 look like Disneyland compared to our grimdark egdy wasteland.
I'm sure the games written by codexers would sell well amongst edgy teenagers.
They would need close supervison tho, or the wasteland would be filled with trannie RAEPists at every corner. I doubt walmart would sell it that way.

typical user

Arbiter
The "Kid in the fridge" is even more retarded when you disagree to release him. He will say you are "son of a bitch" in a tone like it was taboo to curse in a game targetting adult audience. You can't even walk away because journal will constantly remind you of this little brat.

I wish I could meet bastard that designed this quest I would bash his head on some rusty pole until that idiot would lose his ability to communicate, as half his brain is already dead. At least he wouldn't be able to spit more nonsensical piece of trash like this *gem*.

Argh, this game is fucking stupid, thanks for reminding me of that!:rage:

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
That and it has the same issue that Bioshock Infinite had with Elizabeth: you can't take a character who's been completely isolated from human contact for a period of years, if not decades, and then have them interact normally with the first person they come in contact with. Best-case scenario, that person would be cripplingly socially autistic and barely able to interact with them, worst-case scenario, they're utterly bugfuck insane and try to claw the other person's eyes out.

Jackalope

Arcane
200 hundred years are a long, long time. If you spend that much time in a tiny place, you'd either find a way to leave, or kill yourself. Or go so insane. You'd be unable to leave the fridge, because it's everyting you've known for an eternity.

The implication that ghouls don't age or need food is so mind-bogging it makes my head hurt. Fallout 5 should have a quest with a baby ghoul stuck in a crib for 200 years. Why the hell not?

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Best solution for that shitty quest is to pick him up and sleep somewhere close. The gunner dude will be there when you wake up and offer to buy him right away. Easy money, problem solved, no need to walk all the way down to his parents.
I wonder if Kate Cait would even approve of it. If she isn't too drugged up to notice.

Now it's time to punish the other ghouls for eating my tarberries. Treacherous zombies... the Brohood solution sounds more attractive by the minute.

Dustin542

Liturgist
That's such a vile abomination of the lore.

I guess they just think of Ghouls as zombies now. I wonder if anyone on the team even played the original Fallouts.
Well they have ghouls in every graveyard so they definitely do.

circ

Arcane
I too went to this race track near um, some beach. Cool beach and all. But all I did was shoot more people. Then there was that time I had to get a settlement in the northeast corner of the map. As shitty a settlement as I've yet to see. For no reason, there was a glowing deathclaw in the vicinity - up till then I thought deathclaws were limited to the southern parts - no such luck. Now they have a chance of turning up anywhere it seems. Along with mirelurk kings and queens.

After a ridiculous engagement with super mutants that all came equipped with rocket launchers and mniguns - spelling my immediate demise - I've now switched to carrying a rocket launcher of my own around. It kills shit instantly, almost, with its targeting system add-on I don't even have to aim really. Unfortunately it eats ammo like a homo at a gloryhole. I also came to notice that after level 30-40 or thereabouts, conventional weapons are utterly useless - maybe not if you max out the stupid perks for them but fuck that. Even an upgrade .50 hunting rifle is worthless compared to a gauss sniper rifle. Of course I don't expect to lug around level 1 weaponry and expectan to shoot down everything but um, 50 cal ammo is a pretty high level upgrade, YOU'D THINK IT WOULD DO MORE THAN A THIRD OF THE DAMAGE OF A GAUSS RIFLE? NO?

I've resigned to cheating with my settlements - giving myself shitloads of materials to build stuff, and I gotta say, what is the point of settlements in the first place? My #1 cash making amounts to selling purified water at almost market value, cleaning up every shopkeeper on the map. The shops for the settlements are shit - although I don't have level 3 shops yet. That money goes into one thing - ammo. I would be broke if I kept giving companions ammo too. Some get double barrel shotguns, most keep their vanilla weapon because they can't hit for shit and when they do hit anything, it's laughable damage. With top tier weapons. If only Dogemeat weren't so fucking annoying and getting in my way and shit. IF ONLY THERE WAS SOME FUN TO BE HAD IN THIS GAME.

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Stop being a scrub.
I'm level 80 and i don't even use my Minigun, the Gaussrifle or the Rocketlauncher.

.50 Rifles are still good, just upgrade the rifle perk and shoot at their heads.
If they carry Helmets, go for the silent kill or use a laser Sniperrifle.

Also: the legendary prefix that gives your weapon fire damage is super ridiculous.
I'm killing supermutants with my fullauto 10 mm incendiary Pistol.

On a high-powered weapon, its basically cheating, even on survival.

Zerginfestor

Learned
Stop being a scrub.

Also: the legendary prefix that gives your weapon fire damage is super ridiculous.

On a high-powered weapon, its basically cheating, even on survival.

Use the Explosives legendary prefix and max Demolitions expert. The explosion damage goes up with the perk ranks, not joking. The amount of damage you could do with it and a SHOOTA is ridiculous. Though, not as ridiculous as the Deathclaw Gauntlet capable of 2-3shotting Mirelurk Queens, which are considered the biggest HP bloat enemy in the entire game, as well as the highest armor rating.

typical user

Arbiter
Best way to counter HP-bloat is having full-auto radioactive weapons. Tough ghouls are rare but other enemies will die in 20 shots or even 10 if you upgrade Nuclear Physicist. I had radioactive plasma rifle which dealt 100 normal and energy damage so I didn't even have to manage who to shoot with it.

But yeah, the most powerful weapon is not sucking at this game. I picked up Power Arnor in Concord and I didn't even have to put it away because Fusion Cores are everywhere, EVERYWHERE. When you get to Diamond City aka 4-vendors-one-stop-restock you beat the game, no matter how shitty you are.

And why anyone should use Minigun? That gun is pathetic. You have to spend 500 rounds to kill 2 fucking raiders and restock between even smallest dungeons. Gatling Laser is more convienient as you should have plenty FCs in your backpack when you find it plus you can upgrade it to deal even more damage and get Nuclear Physicist as it pracitcally doubles amount of FCs you have for both your gun and PA.

Typical Bethesda, two .308 round will kill most things when applied to the head but when using 5mm or 5.56 it will take 3 mags to kill same trash enemy. I've just suited up in T-45 to crash circlejerk at Corvega Assembly with tire iron, 'cause I've been there quite enough and it is first tough fight for you and your ammo reserves.

But why is Gauss Rifle bad? Your Left Mouse Button changes to Win Button when you wield it. Overload your shot, point in the head or if in CQB just spray and pray and you will kill most things in 2 shots. Or give it to your companion and he will wreck havok, I had Strong carrying it and he was instagibbing every crap I came across because stupid difficulties debuff don't apply to companions unlike in New Vegas (again, Bethesda being Bethesda and failing to copycat) and because every humanoid companion NPC aims in the head with deadly efficiency.

Seriously, gun of your choice (which shouldn't be automatic unless OP legenderies and perks) and upgraded PA then your Survival turns into Call of Duty. Perks are to reduce TTK which is bullshit in Bethesda games. Maybe grab something to counter poison attacks because that is the only thing which makes me press Panic Button aka spam stimpacks cause their effect stacks.

Last edited:

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
And why anyone should use Minigun? That gun is pathetic.

Because you have one with kneecaping or incinerating.

Especially the first one is highly amusing.

Gauss Rifle is not bad, simply not needed, as in, to good.
Speaking of radiation weapons, i found a gamma gun with the irradiated prefix (actually, two of them). Does a neat 80 something Energy and 441 Radiaton Damage that has quite the AoE.
I don't use it normally, because Gamma Rounds are comparatively rare (only have a few hundred of them), but its nice if you just want to derp around a bit.

And yeah, you can basically use whatever gun you want, the Game has a view difficult encounters you can have early on (having to kill a stupid legendary deathclaw in confined space with pipeguns), but it gets piss easy pretty fast.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
You wish. Fire damage does not stack in this game, making the Ashmaker minigun a waste of inventory space. You generally want a 2-shot variant for all guns if you want to keep it "normal", or the super overpowered "wounding" variant if you want to yell "lol mum i rock lol" all the time, because THAT one stacks. Assplosive is not my cup of tea, since it throws stuff around and creates unwanted collaterals.

And why anyone should use Minigun?
Thanks to the damage resistance system, normal miniguns are only useful in NPC hands, who have no problem spending 2000 bullets on one enemy. So the only useful variants are those that exploit the high rof by adding something with every shot. A wounding minigun adds 25 armor bypassing dmg with EACH shot. Go figure how much fun I had when I met an enemy wielding it.

Generally most of the weapons are not well designed regarding game mechanics, similar to FNV's useless automatic weapons. Lack of communication between teams I guess.
Take the plasma weapons for example: they are supposed to be the endgame energy weapons but they suck donkey balls. Since their damage is divided between ballistic and energy dmg, both parts are rolled against the enemy's DR, making them loose much of their potential compared to an upgraded automatic laser rifle. THOSE things tear through enemies like a hot knife through butter, IF you use one with unlimited ammo capacity.

After a ridiculous engagement with super mutants that all came equipped with rocket launcher
Yup, that sounds like the typical "defend coastal cottage" bullshit. Fast travel in and end up having 4 of those buggers standing behind you. They blew up mah powah armoah faster than I could sprint away. Turrets are instakilled and only serve as sinks for repair materials. Some settlements are just not worth the hassle.
Sure, let's ignore the factory fortress to the east and squat in that little shithole here in clear view of a Mudcrab queen instead.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Is the game in a state that any of that would make a lick of difference in how it feels?

typical user

Arbiter
It's cool to have new vegas hardcore stuff but the hp bloating/legendary spawn rate in Survival sucks. Guess mods fix it.

Mods did hardcore stuff with Fallout 3. New Vegas just implemented those mods so modders would focus on adding quests instead of fixing broken game. And modders already fixed hp bloat by adding 200% damage to both player and enemies in example.

This is Bethesda we are talking about. Those diseases will be like in Skyrim -20HPs or other stupid stuff that half-wits won't have problem to deal with. Look at addictions. It is pathetic, you can go to any doctor and get rid off them for small fee.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Well with the systems already there, tweaking effects is trivial.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom