Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet Another Morrowind Thread

DraQ

Arcane
:hmmm:
Well, like Commissar Draco said, it's the price to pay for making characters look less like potatoes.

Between the busty Ranis and this one
...this one is actually how Ranis is *meant* to look.

Visual replacers should respect authors' intent, doubly so in a game featuring a lot of visual clues, hidden layers and information and even quests hinging on visual descriptions of stuff, including NPCs.
Trading that off for bewbs and waifufaces should get you permanently exiled to Bioware Sexual Network or whatsitsname.
:obviously:

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado

I don't think Ranis was meant to look like shit. If it was redone today, she would certainly have a womanly body and not that fridge torso that doesn't even have any semblance of boobs.

Visual replacers should respect authors' intent, doubly so in a game featuring a lot of visual clues, hidden layers and information and even quests hinging on visual descriptions of stuff, including NPCs.

I agree.

Trading that off for bewbs and waifufaces should get you permanently exiled to Bioware Sexual Network or whatsitsname.
:obviously:

Nah, I just don't want to stare at mannequins. That's what my Morrowind experience boiled down to: I couldn't get immersed because the bodies looked god damn awful. At least Deus Ex' looked like actual people, none of this segmented shit.

It's your opinion and I respect it and understand it, but bodies are very important for immersion, and I can't get immersed in a game where the patrons of a burlesque-esque establishment look like puppets. This, on the other hand:

Booby_Duo.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Speaking of Ranis Athrys

Little is known about Ranis' background other than she was born into an upper class Dunmer family, possibly from House Hlaalu. Her parents were murdered at the hands of a previous archmagister of House Telvanni, which gave Ranis a natural sense of hate and distrust for people practicing the use of magicka - no matter at what level - outside the Mages Guild. One possible reason for her joining the Mages Guild, apart from natural magical ability, was to cause as much damage to House Telvanni as possible.

I wonder whether the above is just fan fiction that somehow became accepted as canon.

DraQ

Arcane
Speaking of Ranis Athrys

Little is known about Ranis' background other than she was born into an upper class Dunmer family, possibly from House Hlaalu. Her parents were murdered at the hands of a previous archmagister of House Telvanni, which gave Ranis a natural sense of hate and distrust for people practicing the use of magicka - no matter at what level - outside the Mages Guild. One possible reason for her joining the Mages Guild, apart from natural magical ability, was to cause as much damage to House Telvanni as possible.

I wonder whether the above is just fan fiction that somehow became accepted as canon.
You can get this piece of information from Trebonius if
you lie to him that she is the spy

Maybe from somewhere else too, not sure.

DraQ

Arcane

I don't think Ranis was meant to look like shit. If it was redone today, she would certainly have a womanly body and not that fridge torso that doesn't even have any semblance of boobs.
  • Ranis' face, like any other NPC's, was definitely meant to look in a particular way. Any face/hair replacer should respect that and attempt to recreate this exact look, only improving it technically. If it doesn't, it's shit. If modern day Bethesda can do it (Skyrim sticks close to Morrowind aesthetics when it comes to character faces) then modders should be able to as well - no excuses.
  • I don't mind better bodies, although it could do a few things better. Body is a body, it's generally known how it should look like and there aren't many opportunities to fuck it up short of sticking boobs on Argonians.
  • Clothing replacers have trickier job to do than body replacers. Non-segmented clothing would be welcome but with clothing the effect isn't as glaring as with bodies meaning there is less to gain from mod and Better Clothes mod alters quite a few details so no go.
  • Morrowind clothes, particularly robes are generally rather baggy and form hiding rather than form fitting. There is nothing wrong with most of them having no boobs variant. Fap to something else (or go to Suran).

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
  • Ranis' face, like any other NPC's, was definitely meant to look in a particular way. Any face/hair replacer should respect that and attempt to recreate this exact look, only improving it technically. If it doesn't, it's shit. If modern day Bethesda can do it (Skyrim sticks close to Morrowind aesthetics when it comes to character faces) then modders should be able to as well - no excuses.
  • I don't mind better bodies, although it could do a few things better. Body is a body, it's generally known how it should look like and there aren't many opportunities to fuck it up short of sticking boobs on Argonians.
  • Clothing replacers have trickier job to do than body replacers. Non-segmented clothing would be welcome but with clothing the effect isn't as glaring as with bodies meaning there is less to gain from mod and Better Clothes mod alters quite a few details so no go.
  • Morrowind clothes, particularly robes are generally rather baggy and form hiding rather than form fitting. There is nothing wrong with most of them having no boobs variant. Fap to something else (or go to Suran).

To look in a particular way, yes, to look like shit, not.

Moreover, we are not talking Skyrim here, but Morrowind. Every NPC has around 8 faces to choose from. To act like Bethesda intended each NPC to look "a particular way" is kind of funny. If anything, they inteded for certain NPCs to have copper hair, like Caius mentions in one part of the main quest.

My Argonians don't have boobs, I made sure of that.

And lastly: a baggy robe may hide your waist, but not the boobs protruding from your chest, unless they are small.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Been busy patching other mods, but my files won't all be available until past tomorrow, as some are fairly heavy indeed. But tomorrow all mods will be patched, only a few extra optional files will be left to upload.

Anyhow, pics! I'm really digging Morrowind back again (probably because the bodies make it more immersive).

Enchanter.jpg

Eydis_2.jpg

Galbedir.jpg

Warrior.jpg

You_Came_to_the_Wrong_Neighborhood.jpg

Troublesome_Fool.jpg

On display:

- Eydis: new patch for Westly's heads. Now all faces will look detailed, as before they looked too smudged.
- Galbedir: new patch for Robert's female heads. Again, they will look detailed. You can see the detailed Robe Overhaul patch.
- My character: Robe Overhaul patch again.
- Troublesome fools: the new HiRez Armor Native Styles V2 patch, the Westly's heads patch, and one of the optional files I'll upload in a few days, which basically gives armor, clothing, creatures, NPCs, and weapons textures that are EIGHT times as big as the vanilla ones, so that they look sharper and less blurry (what I normally do is make the textures 8 times as big, apply the filters, and the reduce them to 4 times as big; in this particular patch I don't do the last reduction).

DraQ

Arcane
Been busy patching other mods, but my files won't all be available until past tomorrow, as some are fairly heavy indeed. But tomorrow all mods will be patched, only a few extra optional files will be left to upload.

Anyhow, pics! I'm really digging Morrowind back again (probably because the bodies make it more immersive).

Enchanter.jpg

Eydis_2.jpg

Galbedir.jpg

Warrior.jpg

You_Came_to_the_Wrong_Neighborhood.jpg

Troublesome_Fool.jpg

On display:

- Eydis: new patch for Westly's heads. Now all faces will look detailed, as before they looked too smudged.
- Galbedir: new patch for Robert's female heads. Again, they will look detailed. You can see the detailed Robe Overhaul patch.
- My character: Robe Overhaul patch again.
- Troublesome fools: the new HiRez Armor Native Styles V2 patch, the Westly's heads patch, and one of the optional files I'll upload in a few days, which basically gives armor, clothing, creatures, NPCs, and weapons textures that are EIGHT times as big as the vanilla ones, so that they look sharper and less blurry (what I normally do is make the textures 8 times as big, apply the filters, and the reduce them to 4 times as big; in this particular patch I don't do the last reduction).
:bounce:
Umm... No. Fuck, no.
I will get all hyped up for true to original face mod only to discover that some single face/hair model is inconsistent with the originals.
:negative:

Last edited:

vean

Scholar
They've had this discussion 4 or 5 times now, it's a mod called Watercolor Morrowind, and supposedly it's better than other texture packs somehow.
Is it somehow miraculously better in motion? Because it's terrible in screenshots.

The faces are cool though.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I got this weird bug on my head... suddenly I realized it wasn't Morrowind being ugly what stopped me from enjoying the game. It was these damn filter mods of mine that stopped me from having fun. All the time I would think of ways to make the game prettier. Not anymore, in Morrowind or in any other game I play in the future.

I have achieved CHIM

Alma_Moses.jpg

Jobashas_Rare_Books.jpg

Ragdoll_Standoff.jpg

Apotechary.jpg

(Whoever feels like downloading the mods, though, they are still there, but you are on your own)

DraQ

Arcane
TBH I wouldn't mind face replacer, but one condition it would have to fulfill is that if you described any NPC with and without this replacer, in detail and as a person, so without referring to things like polycount and texture quality, both descriptions would be consistent and clearly refer to the same face.
And there is the Skyrim test - if you can do better than the replacer using Skyrim's facegen, which, while flexible and aiming for mostly the same aesthetics, was never intended to replicate any face from Morrowind 1:1, then the replacer is automatically disqualified.
(It also stands to reason that it should be pluginless, because 1:1 replacer shouldn't need plugin, only resources)

It seems that Westly's Pluginless Replacer comes closest, and is probably the only somewhat honest effort at that, but it's still not quite there.
http://wiki.theassimilationlab.com/mmw/The_Comparison_of_NPC_Head_Replacers

Last edited:

Miner Arobar

Educated
Thanks for that link - got tired of the MGSO pack because I've no idea what mods I'm actually running with it, besides the head replacers always end up with some characters having no heads or having no ears (which looks bizarre on a Dunmer). Reinstalled and picked and chose from that STEP list. Game runs a lot smoother now as well.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Been enjoying the game a lot more now. Running a tight set of mods, I think I have everything I need right now.

Anyhow, here are some pics.

Caldera.jpg

Hunting.jpg

Morrowind_0001.jpg

Morrowind_0002.jpg

Morrowind_0003.jpg

Morrowind_0004.jpg

Morrowind_0005.jpg

Nix_Hound.jpg

West_Gash.jpg

Morrowind_0013.jpg

Morrowind_0011.jpg

And to think I wasted who knows how many hours running textures through a filter...

DraQ

Arcane
Been enjoying the game a lot more now. Running a tight set of mods, I think I have everything I need right now.
:incline:
Less > more in, among other things, modding and reading text files from console.
And to think I wasted who knows how many hours running textures through a filter...
:dealwithit:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom