Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny Pre-Release Thread

GrainWetski

Arcane
I think they meant "problematic"

tyranny_dev_diary_10__eb_portrait.png

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Could be the child of Katee Sackhoff and Boris Johnson.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Ah, xp gain in combat is equal to the damage you deal or take, or to the healing you do. So taking 14 damage will get you 14 xp in a defensive skill, and healing somebody for 60 health will get you 60 xp in the healing skill.

At first blush, that sounds extremely easy to abuse.

Oh, and you still get xp for failing an attack, but the amount is reduced.

If you eliminate an enemy without fighting them (like through dialogue) you will receive the enemy's xp as "banish xp". This banish xp will be assigned to all of your skills proportionately; your highest skills will receive more xp than your lower ones. The same is true of quest xp.

Each level gets you one attribute point and one talent point. The attributes cost 1 point to increase until they hit 19, then they cost 2 points per increase. Skill levels are directly affected by attributes.

In case the reputation screen hasn't been shown before:

DBemSHc.jpg

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
They're going a surprisingly long time without revealing a release date. Are they going to announce it a week before launch?

Sentinel

Arcane
They're going a surprisingly long time without revealing a release date. Are they going to announce it a week before launch?
probably end of November/first half of December. They said they're gonna have more streams throughout this month and there's also gonna be some news about Tyranny in October, so that kinda indicates a release date announcement imo.
Unless
delayed

dukeofwhales

Cipher
twitch vods are a pretty shitty experience in a lot of the world, especially those without view counts high enough to have been transcoded to lower resolutions. despite having an internet connection ten times as fast as is required, twitch regularly cannot push 720p video to me in Australia, so I always wait for a YouTube version

not that it's much of an excuse for the lack of hype this game has

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is a good stream. Watch it if you want to understand how the game's systems really work. Also, the C&C it demonstrates is more organic than in the siege scene we saw a few months ago.

If you eliminate an enemy without fighting them (like through dialogue) you will receive the enemy's xp as "banish xp". This banish xp will be assigned to all of your skills proportionately; your highest skills will receive more xp than your lower ones. The same is true of quest xp.

For what purpose? Do they explain the reasoning behind this in anyway?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

For what purpose? Do they explain the reasoning behind this in anyway?

Solving a quest doesn't directly exercise a particular skill, so it makes sense for that XP to just advance your character across the board instead.

Solving a quest doesn't directly exercise a particular skill, so it makes sense for that XP to just advance your character across the board instead.

I didn't think that 'banishment' xp referred to quests but any situation where one over comes ordeals through ways other than combat.

Experience points gained through quests increasing all skills across the board would be partially agreeable. It would depend on what the quest in question entailed.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

I didn't think that 'banishment' xp referred to quests but any situation where one over comes ordeals through ways other than combat.

Experience points gained through quests increasing all skills across the board would be partially agreeable. It would depend on what the quest in question entailed.

Well, solving an encounter through dialogue is basically like finishing a small quest.

The designers' logic is that skills are directly advanced commensurate to their contribution to DPS (although I think there are exceptions such as stealth). Merely casting a buff spell does not increase that spell's respective skill - only the combat effectiveness of the buffed character does.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom