Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Swen likes his Ultima-inspired pseudo-simulation.

D:OS is pretty impressively fun to play considering how many of these stupid fucking design paradigms Swen obey

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
He's a slave to so many different types of design paradigms that no wonder D:OS makes no sense to play and contradicts itself constantly.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ironically, you couldn't actually bash open chests in Ultima. When I think of bashing stuff in RPGs, I'll always think of this:

God that was boring

Zanzoken

Arcane
D:OS is pretty impressively fun to play considering how many of these stupid fucking design paradigms Swen obey

Agreed but combat is the only thing it does well, encounter design in particular -- which in fairness is highly commendable and quite rare in RPGs.

The rest of the game is shit.

Zanzoken

Arcane
It's annoying too because it really isn't that hard to handwave stuff away so that lockpicking is the only option.

Player -- "Oh look a chest, I should open it and take all teh phat lootz"
Game -- "Do you know how to pick it"
Player -- "No but I can bash it open"
Game -- "Lol nice try, it's triple super reinforced with steel plates"
Player -- "Oh, then how about I blow it up with a Super Fireball of Death"
Game -- "Ummm you'll just burn up everything inside"
Player -- "Well poop, I guess I'll just go play Skyrim roll a thief on my next run"

Movies do this all the time. The writer anticipates questions about the plot/world logic and has the characters address them on-screen. Then their actions will seem reasonable and justified based on the applied constraints.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://af.gog.com/news/divinity_original_sin_2_qa?as=1649904300

Let's take turns, asking all the right questions!

Divinity: Original Sin 2, the sequel to one of the most beloved RPGs in recent years, is coming soon, DRM-free on GOG.com! The good people of Larian Studios will be joining us in person to celebrate the occasion, and they've agreed to answer your most Sin-ful questions regarding the long-awaited epic.

The first Divinity: Original Sin sure made a big splash in the RPG community, with its inventive use of turn-based tactics and impressive attention to detail. Two years later, its sequel is about to raise the bar even further, as Larian Studios are committed to improving and expanding all of the original's celebrated features in meaningful and highly ambitious ways. Aside from the complex origin stories and the rich character creation options, expect even more engaging turn-based combat, smarter NPC A.I., and extended player freedom. And of course, get ready to meet Eithne, the enigmatic, scroll-selling NPC that the GOG community helped design back in April!

Do you want to know more about Divinity: Original Sin 2 and its fast-approaching entry into our Games in Development program? Now is the time to ask! Post your questions below until Monday, October 24th, and Larian Studios will answer the most intriguing ones alongside the game's arrival, coming soon on GOG.com.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Great, how do we get our keys? Are they going to send out e-mails?

Edit: Wait, I'm stupid, I saw it now.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin-2/posts/1721696

Divinity: Original Sin 2 GOG keys available now

Hello,

We are happy to announce that we have launched Divinity: Original Sin 2 on GOG now! This means that you can claim a GOG key if you want to (and if you hadn't already claimed a Steam key).

To do so, head on over to larianvault.com, log in and click on the D:OS2 Kickstarter menu item. Then click on the submenu item Your Choices And Input. Look for Divinity: Original Sin 2, select GOG from the dropdown, click the button and then select the link that says "Available! Claim now!" and a GOG key will be generated for you.

If you don't have a larianvault.com profile yet, you will have to register first and then link your pledge to your larianvault.com account.

If this is what you have been waiting for all along, enjoy the game! We hope we'll be seeing you on the forums :)

Sincerely,

The Larian Studios Friday Night Gang

Aenra

Had not seen that, but honestly, am not even slightly tempted. This one means a lot to me (both in terms of the game per se and regarding the future of Larian) so as per my original plan, i still got about a year or so of waiting :)
Well, knowing Larian, probably even more, lol

But my hopes and desires aside, i still stand by what i said all those months ago.
This was not a 'rushed' project, by any means or stretching of the term. This was not a project influenced by external/tertiary factors. And this most definitely was not a project born or derived out of a financial desperation.
On the contrary, it was an orchestrated, planned and methodically executed one. Moreso, one that was intended to showcase their "true" potential and amend previous flaws (see "story")

What they do with this (when it's ready, i won't judge them prematurely) will signify a lot. And said signifier will be one 'unburdened' by excuses, real.. or otherwise.
Fingers crossed, but my eyes on the half empty bottle :)

Lacrymas

Arcane
Aenra makes some good points. It's true that this is a cross they bare alone, and it's quite terrifying when you have to do it for the first time, but at the end speaks volumes.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Torment 2:

74,405 backers
28,205 Steam owners

Original Sin 2:

42,713 backers
41,895 Steam owners

Hm.

Update:

Torment 2:

74,405 backers
28,800 Steam owners

Original Sin 2:

42,713 backers
59,585 Steam owners

People must really have a low opinion of D:OS 2's writing if they're willing to buy so many copies during Early Access.

Another update:

Torment 2:

74,405 backers
27,071 Steam owners

Original Sin 2:

42,713 backers
77,544 Steam owners

D:OS 2's pre-release owners have now officially surpassed TToN's total number of Kickstarter backers.

Of course, the simple explanation is that Larian's recent patch must have ruined the writing even further.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://af.gog.com/news/release_divinity_original_sin_2?as=1649904300

IN DEVELOPMENT: DIVINITY: ORIGINAL SIN 2 + DEVELOPER Q&A

Divinity: Original Sin 2, the sequel to one of the most beloved RPGs in recent years, is available now, DRM-free on GOG.com, with GOG Galaxy support for friend invites.

Many years have passed since the events of the first Original Sin, and the world is now a darker, godless place. Shape your character by choosing from five diverse races and carefully defining their origin stories before you unleash them upon a world, that treats the magic that is your birthright, with fear and distrust. Hunted by the Magisters of the Divine Order, you must first escape the camp in which you’ve been imprisoned and then join the fight to push back the spreading Void.

Larian Studios are not ones to rest on their laurels, so they're improving and expanding upon the original's celebrated features in meaningful and highly ambitious ways. This ‘In Development’ version already contains the first Act of the campaign, the PvP Arena mode, and plenty of the intended features, but Larian is constantly polishing and updating the game, thanks in part to the invaluable community feedback. Aside from the newly introduced origin stories and the rich character creation options, expect ever more engaging turn-based combat, four-player co-op, smarter NPC AI, and more player freedom than ever.

Role-play your way through an epic adventure that constantly reacts to your decisions and playstyle in Divinity: Original Sin 2, DRM-free on GOG.com.

Note: This game is currently in development. See the FAQ to learn more about games in development, and check out the forums to find more information and to stay in touch with the community.

DEVELOPER Q&A

Want to know more about what makes Original Sin 2 special? Here are some answers from the developers themselves:

How do you assess and react to feedback? How can we, GOG users, affect the shaping of the game further down the line?

First, we make long lists of all the feedback we get in channels like forums, social media, etc. Then we look at it, discuss it and try to understand what the message is. In general we look at everything but immediately cull things that don’t fit our vision. For the remaining things, to decide whether or not something is worth putting effort in, we look at things like the frequency of a request and the analytics which we are gathering from people playing the game.

Can you explain the companion influence/relationship dynamic? How do you envision it changing the individual's approach to quests and affect the replay value of the game?

We’re still working on that. The thing is that we can only finish this bit once all the rest is done so you’ll have to have a bit of patience.

What's your general approach to storytelling?

The nature of the game is that the story is approached as a collection of situations which naturally flow into each other. We follow a classic three act structure but for each step in the structure, there are a multitude of situations that bring similar narrative beats in a different manner. That way we are sure players are aware of certain things as they progress. Doing things this way allows us to maintain a large degree of non-linearity.

How accessible is the story? Do you have to play the first Original Sin to understand what's going on? Are these the same player characters as the first game, and will any of the companions be returning?

You do not have to play the first part to understand Divinity Original Sin 2. Players who are familiar with the previous game will recognize some references here and there, but it is not a requirement. Since a thousand years have passed, most of the characters from D:OS are no longer present.

Any chance on having a race or two specific to evil quest lines? For single player.

While we do have the tags villain and hero, we try not to think in terms of good and evil when thinking about quests and quest solutions. Heck, we in general don’t think of the situations in games as actual quests :) Solutions to situations may be considered as good or evil, depending on who is playing, the character which is being played, the situation at hand (as some quests are competitive to other group members) etc…

Will there be same resource imbalance as in the previous title? You know, special one-use weapons/projectiles costing you a small fortune but every poor bastard using them on you like he is a bank manager with unlimited resources :/

If you kill enemies quickly enough, you’ll find that you can actually gain their cool one-use arrows, grenades and scrolls. You could also try pickpocketing them.

Have you considered making a PvP mode? You could have competitive maps, tower defense modes, and board game style things. Just don't forget to make it cross-play between GOG and Steam (p2p maybe?).

We already have a PvP-mode, in which you can battle other players for different goals in various arenas. You also could play competitive in the campaign if you want. Right now, for cross-play you can use direct connect. No promises on other forms of cross-play at present.

What will you tell people who like all your games but were too bad at Divinity: Original Sin to the point of not even finishing it? Do you have any solution for them to enjoy Divinity: Original Sin 2?

Divinity:Original Sin is intended to be challenging. The explorer mode gives players the opportunity to focus on exploration and the story instead of fighting, but it’ll still make you think.

Cats! Cats! Will there be an abundance of talking cats?

Sub-question: Will you be able to transform into a cat? [only know that there is the one black cat]

We won´t have masses of talking cats, but you can acquire the talent pet-pal, which gives you the ability to talk to animals - including cats! As far as turning into a cat is concerned, I don’t think so, but since we change our minds so often during development, I can’t guarantee it won’t be in.

Are you expanding the crafting system?

Yes. But we’re still working on it so we don’t want to share details yet. Soon though. Very soon!

Is the glorious Zandalor making his return in this sequel?

Chris Avallone doesn’t like the name Zandalor so we’re trying to figure out a new identity for him through witness protection.

Are you working on improving the modding tools?

We are! We’ve done many enhancements already and there’s quite a team working on the tools. However - it does remain a complex affair due to the complexity of the game, so it’s definitely not for everybody.

Will there be a day/night cycle that was supposed to be in the first game but got canned?

No. For the same reasons it got canned in the first one. We just don’t have the resources to do it correctly, so we think it's better not to do it at all then.

Do you plan any expansions/DLCs?

Currently, we’re trying to get the bloody game done and so have no time for any expansions and DLCs. We’ll see afterwards.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Chris Avallone doesn’t like the name Zandalor so we’re trying to figure out a new identity for him through witness protection.

:lol:

Stereotypical wizard with a beard, robes, and pointy hat doesn't seem like it'd be Avellone's bag at all.

Aenra

Was thinking of participating when they did that GOG thing, but in the end i changed my mind, saw no point to it. Likewise with the interview i was planning to be honest. Some questions are by now only rhetorical. Plus, the main reason they do it is for the image it cultivates, so who am i to spoil the party. No benefit in that. If you ask why rhetorical? It's because as far as i'm concerned the following negatives are there to stay. Some of which are (i'd assume) only seen as such, negatively, by me ^^

1) Animation speeds; they will be as pathetically slow as in D:OS I. Select fireball, go shave in the interim. Don't worry, you'll be back in time for the next turn. Not to be confused with walking speed, which i honestly did not see the issue with

2) Unless something's changed, the discontinuation of Lone Wolf/fewer party members option. Your background templates are a welcome addition, except when you force them on me. Worse when you do so in a way that limits me from options previously available (am assuming this is the reason; if it's just "balance" that made them cut it? Shame)

3) Lack of difficulty. I can rage all i want, as long as these Steam numbers are growing, i know whom it is that they listen to. Worse still if they actually believe Tactician really -was- hard

4) Complex editor and all the mods we'll never see due to that. Telling me that they still don't get it. Maybe they think they do, but am dead certain they still don't.

5) can't think of an easy way to describe this.. but one complaint i've had ever since DD is "flatness". They've never made a world that has depth, a life of its own. Everything is designed in strict gaming terms, what the player must or should do in/throughout it, where it's best to be placed and so on. Pure gaming, zero.. depth. You'll tell me they've added the odd joke or two, the occasional easter egg and so on, but you see that's just dressing after the cake is out. Can think of many RPGs that i may not have loved but are still memorable precisely due to their having managed this. Having if not their entire world, at least their towns/important locations giving off a sense of 'life of their own', a presence that is there for its own sake, not the player's. It's a bitch to nail down, but it's there. Larian games don't incorporate that. Can't recall a single location in any game they've made where i got this feeling.

edit: could have added other aspects i find problematic (have already mentioned them here and there), but they fall under the implementation side of the scale. Denoting a matter of time rather than conceptualisation/mentality. They are as such excluded; fair is fair :P
(and yes, animation speeds fall under mentality to me. They should have had the foresight in this during D:OS development. Even lacking it, they now have the retrospect. And yet from very early on, official reply was 'no, the same'. Choices and consequences)

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
5) can't think of an easy way to describe this.. but one complaint i've had ever since DD is "flatness". They've never made a world that has depth, a life of its own. Everything is designed in strict gaming terms, what the player must or should do in/throughout it, where it's best to be placed and so on. Pure gaming, zero.. depth. You'll tell me they've added the odd joke or two, the occasional easter egg and so on, but you see that's just dressing after the cake is out. Can think of many RPGs that i may not have loved but are still memorable precisely due to their having managed this. Having if not their entire world, at least their towns/important locations giving off a sense of 'life of their own', a presence that is there for its own sake, not the player's. It's a bitch to nail down, but it's there. Larian games don't incorporate that. Can't recall a single location in any game they've made where i got this feeling.

I very much agree about this. I liked the combat mechanics and graphics a lot, but it all felt very soulless and flat. In the end I gave up.

2) Unless something's changed, the discontinuation of Lone Wolf/fewer party members option. Your background templates are a welcome addition, except when you force them on me. Worse when you do so in a way that limits me from options previously available (am assuming this is the reason; if it's just "balance" that made them cut it? Shame)
3) Lack of difficulty. I can rage all i want, as long as these Steam numbers are growing, i know whom it is that they listen to. Worse still if they actually believe Tactician really -was- hard

The decision to remove Lone Wolf I actually support. Rarely I'm in favor of balance concerns... but really LW broke the game and trivialized it very fast. The trivial boring gameplay together with the soulless, flat setting made me just give up playing somewhere at mid-game.
Oh, and the tiered random itemization, that was pretty bad as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom