Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Re-Announcement Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Klarion

Arcane
They were always going to make "W3/GTA" in a CyberPunk universe. It was always going to be an FPS/RPG from the get go, with classes, skills and whatnot. I don't see anything that might indicate that these plans have changed.

It's just that some people thought CDP was going to make an isometric turn-based rpg for some reason.
No it wasn't, they were aiming for something different, a more PnP experience back when they started...

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Well yeah, they want the game to have classes and skills transposed from the original PnP, but it was always going to be an FPS/RPG hybrid, they NEVER stated otherwise.

They were already trying to do big huge AAA games since TW2, it's not a sudden change of plans that would be caused the TW3's success.

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
I don't remember them ever saying anything about an FPS. I'm pretty sure most people expected a TPP like TW2/3.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
I tried to search but couldn't find anything for some reason, so who are the foreign developers that have been publicly announced to be involved in this project? Like I remember there were supposed to be some ex Crytek graphics guy and others.

Keppo

Arbiter
They will have to work under that guy who made Quantum Break so good luck with that.

And Quantum Break guy working under Mateusz Kanik and Michal Madej which was main guy in Witcher 1 who made ton of stuff from story design to game design alone, so i dont give a fuck he wont change any core stuff without approval. Gameplay team need to focus on 3-4 most important aspects and make it from scratch: Combat balance, itemization, progression and of course well designed and interesting classes which are essential in Cyberpunk 2020. Also they should focus on Witcher 3 expansions style combat, more bosses with interesting ai design, less shit copy pasta Golems, wolfes, gryphons etc like in main game, and they should delete or make from scratch also open world/these fucking question marks which was the worst part in Witcher 3. but sadly they will be wasting time on some useless stuff like flying vehicles etc which will eat ton of resources, and flying vehicles is hard to make so they will be struggling with it till the end of production. In Witcher 3 they wasted time on useless stuff like boat or underwater exploration etc

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Underwater in W3 was fun, and not wasted effort IMO. The only other game that had something interesting to do underwater was Gothic 2, and it was a freaking awesome feeling to find some cool secrets underwater. Nothing worse than having an "open world" and just using water as another barrier.

Gerrard

Arcane
They will have to work under that guy who made Quantum Break so good luck with that.

And Quantum Break guy working under Mateusz Kanik and Michal Madej which was main guy in Witcher 1 who made ton of stuff from story design to game design alone, so i dont give a fuck he wont change any core stuff without approval.
>Lead gameplay designer won't have a say in the game's design
Yeah okay.

KK1001

Arbiter
The new industry meme is to trickle out rumors for 18 months before dropping the trailer 4 - 5 months before release.

Given what they've said about the size of the team - as of late 2016 it's larger than Twitcher 3 at any point and growing - the game is most likely in system/early production. Maintaining a team of that size for that long gets pretty expensive, so I'd wager Fall 2018 but wouldn't be surprised to see it pushed back to April/May 2019.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
dykup93.jpg

the guy on the left, Dalessi was the one who won the Star Citizen spaceship building contest and is now senior vehicle artist, CD Projekt RED

ben-andrews-msr-building.jpg

Ben Andrews
Senior Concept Designer at CD Projekt Red

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
http://www.glixel.com/interviews/inside-the-classic-tabletop-rpg-behind-cyberpunk-2077-w464270

Cyberpunk also had an innovative combat system called Friday Night Firefight. "Most RPGs have really complex combat," says Appelcline. "Like, you'll play for four hours, and spend couple of those hours on a single battle. Pondsmith created a combat system that was really quick and bloody and dirty and gritty – really true to cyberpunk."
"I didn't want people to have to deal with a lot of numbers," says Pondsmith. "And I wanted to make it like a real gunfight. The average one takes place at 12 feet distance, and it's not like movies where every shot connects and guns never run out of ammo – most cops throw 30 rounds down line and hit with two of them." A bullet that actually connects in the game is very likely to be lethal. "In Cyberpunk, you hoped you didn't get into a fight, and when you did, you tried to get out of it as fast as you could," says Appelcline.

------------------

The Cyberpunk sourcebook literally lays out the Humanity Cost associated with each bodily upgrade: "Say I add four new cybernetic devices for a total Humanity Cost of 36. I will lose 3 points of Empathy." When your Empathy score hits zero, you enter a state called cyberpsychosis. At that point, players no longer control their character – the referee takes over, and describes their descent into fits of rage, split personality, kleptomania, even cannibalism. Someone suffering from cyberpsychosis needs to be subdued by a Psycho Squad and undergo weeks of aversion therapy and braindance simulation before they rediscover the vestiges of their humanity. Quite how this will play out in video game form is – as with almost everything else at this point – unknown, but in The Witcher series, taking too many combat-enhancing potions during a fight could lead to slowdown or even death for hero Geralt, so it's not impossible to imagine something similar in Cyberpunk 2077.

------------------------

"My wife told me that these guys in Poland wrote to us and said they wanted to do a Cyberpunk game," says Pondsmith. "They told me that the game was really important to them back in the Iron Curtain days – back then, they had Cyberpunk and communism. What impressed us was not just their capabilities and their well-organized toolsets, but that they knew and loved the material. I said, let's do this thing."

"I go over there pretty regularly," says Pondsmith. "I'll probably go back in the next couple of months. I'm in a room with a hundred people, all firing ideas back and forth. We jump up and down on the systems and see how well they work. I really got lucky."

-----------------

There are rumors that Pondsmith is also working on a new version of the tabletop game that will be released alongside CDPR's Cyberpunk 2077. "There will be more Cyberpunk stuff coming, yes," he says cryptically. "One thing I've learned is that I don't talk about anything before it's ready. I pioneered some genres, and people started paying attention to what I say. I don't want to help the competition."

Gerrard

Arcane
To be honest the Empathy/Cyberpsychosis mechanic was ridiculous and 100% gamey concept simply there to prevent characters from becoming too powerful.

I would also like to know how much of that cooperation with Pondsmith is still true, and what he thinks of the current state of the game (which we don't know anything about).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom