Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gwent: The Witcher Card game - standalone Gwent game - now with Rogue Mage standalone expansion

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Game is definitely too jewish with rewards.

Also I wouldn't say northern realms is more powerful, generally I got rekt by monsters and their ability to fill the board with cards from their deck instead of their hand.

Last edited:

sser

Arcane
Developer
I'm playing, totally forgot I signed up for the Beta and my key ended up in my spam folder, lol.

I just checked my spam folder and found it there, too, despite all the other Gwent emails arriving in my inbox. I'd actually been waiting for it and just assumed I didn't get in :rage:

v1rus

Arcane
I'm playing, totally forgot I signed up for the Beta and my key ended up in my spam folder, lol.

I just checked my spam folder and found it there, too, despite all the other Gwent emails arriving in my inbox. I'd actually been waiting for it and just assumed I didn't get in :rage:

That's better than still not getting it :(

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Game is definitely too jewish with rewards.

Also I wouldn't say northern realms is more powerful, generally I got rekt by monsters and their ability to fill the board with cards from their deck instead of their hand.

I found them easy since you could use scorch if they used crones or doubled melee row. Or they used the stronger muster on the first round which left them crippled for the next two.

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Game is nice, progression (especially in the beginning) is way way to slow.
There was a patch that came out today or yesterday that supposedly changed a few things (leaderboards, new cards) and had a comment about "changed progression" in it.
So maybe its not as horrible now as it was before.
Which is a shame, because Gwent is a really nice game.

sser

Arcane
Developer
The progression is leagues better than other card games, but there is a catch -- Gwent is way more dependent on having good cards to actually be competitive. Like in Hearthstone you could take your starter cards and at least make an aggro deck or something. Not really the case in Gwent. If you start with one Gold card, and face someone with 4-Gold cards, well, too bad. Nevermind decks needing synergy to be good, synergy which every starter deck is missing. It's one of the reasons why starting out is so difficult. The progression changes help a ton, though, and it's stupid easy to get one or two kegs a day.

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I tried out Skyrim Legends and the progression there was a lot more convenient, you basically got showered in cards even if you didn't always win.
Can't comment on Hearthstone.

ugralitan

Novice
It was a nice surprise to notice my beta key after months. In my opinion the game provides enough cards and rewards to get a somewhat competitive deck. It might require a bit of fiddling with synergies between cards. While I tend to construct "catch-all" type decks, I believe it will not get me too further. So far so good though.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Really like it, have like 10 hours but given there is a high chance for a wipe I want to wait.

The game is really fun and there is a lot of choices that you have to make in the more competitive decks. Also I love that you don't know if you will win until the last moment. This is something that Hearthstone and MTG always suffered from. Troll into totem golem=gg no re.

That being said decks are very consistent which can be a problem and of course there are unbalanced things.

Weather effects + Aard is far too punishing

NR gold control deck is cancer solitaire. Bye bye interactivity.

But it is still Beta and such things be adjusted.

Last edited:

hivemind

should I registr for beta or play the anime hearthstone before this gets released

Trotsky

Arcane
gwent-witcher-game-beta-1.jpg

I'm a level 18 player in the standalone version of Gwent with an even win/loss ratio. At first I didn't like the changes they made but we all knew that while Gwent was a stylish and fun single player minigame it would never work in a player vs player setting. I suggest you go into this with realistic expectations because you're going to have to relearn a lot.

That said with the right strategy all the factions/units are good now and you're limited to four gold cards. The balancing has eliminated spy and hero spamming. Spies in particular have been nerfed but are still useful.

You can practice against an improved AI, play casual games, and play ranked games. The PvP aspect is what nets you money to buy kegs for new cards and you're guaranteed an above average/silver tier card or better per keg. You have a 1-2% chance of getting the best cards per keg but in my experience I won the best cards early on perhaps it's designed that way to improve your deck or maybe I just got lucky.

gwent-closed-beta-friend-match.jpg

You can also craft cards including the best ones but it takes a lot of crafting material and you must choose wisely. Normally you break down surplus cards but I broke down whole factions for components and used them to craft 1-2 top tier cards but I wouldn't recommended that generally. You can buy kegs for real world money but that removes the fun and having played these sorts of games before they're designed to make you addicted so I'd recommend against that as well. CD Projekt Red delivered a worthwhile experience though and they deserve money for their effort so don't feel too bad if you choose to pay.

maxresdefault.jpg

Currency-Guide-For-Gwent-Closed-Beta.jpg

Despite all the good balancing I find Monsters to be the hardest faction. They're immune to weather effects, their units multiply, a unit stays on the battlefield after each round, and because all factions now get cards back Monsters is perhaps too strong.

The cards themselves have beautiful art work improved from the original Gwent. Nilfgaard was my favorite faction and it's the only faction NOT currently available listed as "coming soon" but it's likely they won't be released at all until the final version of the game. They have to keep some surprises and I suspect Nilfgaard is an example of saving the best for last. Nilfgaard given its faction characteristics will be dominated by spies.

20161114200045_1-1024x576.jpg

token-cards-1024x598.jpg

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
They're immune to weather effects
Not only that, they benefit from it. Makes it feel like it's not worth putting weather cards in your deck because when you fight against someone running monsters it's just a dead draw.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Currently, Monsters are the weakest of the factions. They seem strong when you're not playing with full decks and their weather effects seem so ruinous. I'm 13-3 with my Monster deck and it's designed toward graverobbing due to the Monster Weather being so weak. Cards like Geralt: Aard really hurt the Monster Weather stuff. A bunch of Frost impervious Wild Hunt getting blasted into the Fog row is devastating.

ugralitan

Novice
I have switched from Northern Realms to Monsters and I must say with a weather-heavy Eredin deck I have been able to break my seemingly eternal 50/50 win/loss ratio for the time being. Though a well-timed Geralt: Aard can be really a bitch to deal with sometimes.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Had such a nice moment today. Was making a russian vid for the foglegion deck (nekker warrior + foglet + thunderbolt combo), earned one keg in the process of testing and look what a keg that was:
https://youtu.be/GIDNV9zDCO8?t=1594

It's not about opening animated caretaker (I don't care about foil and I've already had usual one), it's just about the perfect timing. Especially since Caretaker really shone through the game.

The actual deck:
foglegion.png

sser

Arcane
Developer
Caretaker's a great card. I crafted it specifically for my graverobbing deck. He can really throw a kink in the plans of some opponents.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Hearthstone is in a truly dreadful state so that shouldn't be too hard. Gwent is an incredibly good game just by itself, though.

J1M

Arcane
Got into the closed beta for this recently. Would be nice if they had an android option.

Game is better than expected. Certainly a tier above that Witcher adventure game trash.

Without a resource like mana, and with the "win 2/3" mechanic the gameplay becomes very much about card advantage and getting the most from each card you have. I like this.

What I don't like is the power disparity between card rarities. A "normal" card will bump your power by 8 or so, with a gold card like Geralt bumping it by 12. But I've seen some that will do far more than that on very common board layouts. (Or Crones/Vesemir+friends, which puts +20 on an empty board board with one turn)

I wish someone would do one of these card games with an option to drop $50 and unlock a whole set of cards, limiting people to starter sets as a free trial.

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane
Btw, I'm running a modified purple starter deck (Skellige?) right now that has a really good win percentage. Partly due to the high number of monsters decks. It's predicated on intentionally losing the first round. This plays into the faction's ability (cards get stronger in later rounds) and allows me to use some interesting cards.

-Ciri (6 str, returns to hand when you lose a round, which almost guarantees +2 card advantage after first round)
-Oligierd + Shieldsmith combo (6 str, returns to play with -2 str each round, shieldsmith boosts base str, so its +2 is like +6 when used in first round)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom