Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

Mazisky

Magister
Gotta say LW2 releasing so early is really a surprise. Wonder how much Firaxis gets from these humble monthlies.

Only this month X2 sold 100K copies after a stalemate, dunno if cause LW2 or Humble bundle.

speaking of which, i'm still begging for a copy here :V my credit card is still being refused and nobody can give me an explanation why =_=

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
speaking of which, i'm still begging for a copy here :V my credit card is still being refused and nobody can give me an explanation why =_=
Where are you trying to purchase? Are you in a different country from your billing address?

Where are you trying to purchase? Are you in a different country from your billing address?
nope, i'm using the same card i've been using last year on steam and amazon on christmas and on the same humble site months ago, it has money on it and no new kind of online usage restriction. the transaction for the monthly is just refused without explanation. for three days now.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Here's my first impression of long war: Infiltration sucks.

Although more accurately, stealthing missions suck. And yet, it seems more than half the missions you'll get in LW2 can only be beaten on a stealth run (you're not killing 30 enemies and getting to the extraction point in 8 turns. You very well might sneak past 10 enemies in 12 turns...). It's such a shame too, because the tactical gameplay is rather fun when it actually gets to happen. I just did a mission where I only had a technical and a gunner, and had to take out 6 advent, 1 sectoid and a viper total. It was very fun and satisfying to plan a perfect ambush (insta roast 3 advent with one flammenwerfer) and then beating the rest at a strong numerical disadvantage. But that's maybe 1/3rd of missions. By far the most common mission is vip extraction with a short enough expiry time that you can't do much else but send in one or two shinobi and hope for the best. The actual stealth gameplay is very haphazard too (whoops, that tile was being watched by unseen enemies. death inc).

ArchAngel

Arcane

Although more accurately, stealthing missions suck. And yet, it seems more than half the missions you'll get in LW2 can only be beaten on a stealth run (you're not killing 30 enemies and getting to the extraction point in 8 turns. You very well might sneak past 10 enemies in 12 turns...). It's such a shame too, because the tactical gameplay is rather fun when it actually gets to happen. I just did a mission where I only had a technical and a gunner, and had to take out 6 advent, 1 sectoid and a viper total. It was very fun and satisfying to plan a perfect ambush (insta roast 3 advent with one flammenwerfer) and then beating the rest at a strong numerical disadvantage. But that's maybe 1/3rd of missions. By far the most common mission is vip extraction with a short enough expiry time that you can't do much else but send in one or two shinobi and hope for the best. The actual stealth gameplay is very haphazard too (whoops, that tile was being watched by unseen enemies. death inc).
Just like LW1 it is designed so you are not meant to finish all mission successfully. Which is good I think

DeepOcean

Arcane
The actual stealth gameplay is very haphazard too (whoops, that tile was being watched by unseen enemies. death inc).
Humm, this is pretty bad, when I lose because I've made a mistake that is cool but this could lead you to lose because the game decided you are going to.

Zeriel

Arcane
Anyone else finding the difficulty spiking? Rookie is too comfortable, I had to stop and restart on Veteran, but Veteran is really punishing.

Not really. It's like Long War in EU. Tactical missions are still all easy (maybe easier, since squad size is the main thing that makes missions hard in EU and XCOM 2 unmodded), but they have enforced difficulty/challenge on geoscape (what some casual faggots would call "artificial difficulty").

Anyone else gradually adding in mods to check for stability? Here's what I have so far. Only 2 crashes (after skyranger returns, screen stuck below avenger) since LW2

Gq8c63Z.jpg

There was a post on the XCOM subreddit about what types of mods are compatible with Long War 2. The basic gist of it is: cosmetic mods, map mods, these are all fine. Things that change gameplay have a high chance to not be compatible. If it doesn't change gameplay or items it probably is fine. I'm running with my usual complement of waifushit, QoL mods, music mods, etc with no conflicts.

LizardWizard

Cipher

Keep in mind as you get established and liberate regions the stealth-y missions become less common as the campaign progresses. And it is ok to skip missions and/or just farm the first couple pods for loot followed by quick evac. Overall, you should be ignoring more missions than you actually take on. If you want optimal infiltration windows in a region make sure your men are running intel. Scientist advising also boosts intel I believe.

Infiltration is a pretty neat system though in terms of making the strategic layer feel like you're actually controlling a proper guerrilla outfit.

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Gotta say LW2 releasing so early is really a surprise. Wonder how much Firaxis gets from these humble monthlies.

Only this month X2 sold 100K copies after a stalemate, dunno if cause LW2 or Humble bundle.
Humble. These are people with jobs that are waiting for sale, and they got theirs sale. And they could decide theirs money to go entirely to humble or charity, if they are pissed on Firaxis.

GrainWetski

Arcane

; Initial mission timer values
+InitialTurnCounts=(MissionFamily="Recover_LW", Turns=8)
+InitialTurnCounts=(MissionFamily="Jailbreak_LW", Turns=12)
+InitialTurnCounts=(MissionFamily="Hack_LW", Turns=8)
+InitialTurnCounts=(MissionFamily="DestroyObject_LW", Turns=12)
+InitialTurnCounts=(MissionFamily="Extract_LW", Turns=12)
+InitialTurnCounts=(MissionFamily="Neutralize_LW", Turns=12)
+InitialTurnCounts=(MissionFamily="Rescue_LW", Turns=12)
+InitialTurnCounts=(MissionFamily="SecureUFO_LW", Turns=6)

; Across-the-board extra turns by difficulty level, can be negative
TimerDifficultyMod[0]=4; Rookie
TimerDifficultyMod[1]=2; Veteran
TimerDifficultyMod[2]=0; Commander
TimerDifficultyMod[3]=-2; Legendary

It's in XComLW_Overhaul.ini.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Hm, not sure what happened but the game now runs like dogshit. 2min loading times, explosions causing it to hang, super long load to start the game, etc. Virtually unplayable.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Hm, not sure what happened but the game now runs like dogshit. 2min loading times, explosions causing it to hang, super long load to start the game, etc. Virtually unplayable.
Patch happened.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
How's the vanilla version? I'm thinking about picking this up for the PS4, so I'm guessing it has no mods like LW.

Zep--

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
How's the vanilla version? I'm thinking about picking this up for the PS4, so I'm guessing it has no mods like LW.

Zep--

Vanilla is decent, I put 50 hours into it at least but without LW2 I doubt I would've played more. From what I've seen LW2 makes Xcom 2 into an actual strategy / tactical title compared to the barebones approach of vanilla.

Would recommend PC for LW2 if an option.

RuySan

Augur
Vanilla's still has the stupid pod system, but it's much superior to the first game. Concealment and missions with turn limits shake things enough. There's also many cool new enemies.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Next version of LW2 mod will have improvements for flamethrowers. You will be able to hit targets behind cover, also be able to step out like when shooting to fire flamethrower at enemies that are 90 degree away from you behind a corner.

Modron

Arcane

Zep--
Why don't you just get it for your pc instead? It's 12 dollars plus tax on humble bundle monthly atm plus more games in just a few days.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual

Zep--
Why don't you just get it for your pc instead? It's 12 dollars plus tax on humble bundle monthly atm plus more games in just a few days.

My PC here is a laptop from 2003. I'm currently living in Vietnam, bringing a desktop, monitor,keyboard etc...was out of the question.

My PS4 and 2 controllers fit inside of my laptop bag with my laptop.

Zep--

Ivan

Arcane
just me or does XCOM 2 run like dog shit?

670gtx here

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom