Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Does Avernum Escape from the Pit stand alone well?

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I was thinking of buying it, but then read that it's a remake of a remake of an old series, with only 1 and 2 updated to the most recent remake versions. So does Escape feel like a full game by itself?

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Play 5 and 6 - all Vogel's games are designed to stand alone well and they're just much better.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
The Avernum 1 remake was the first Vogel game I ever played and I had a blast. Super atmospheric, lots of exploration - combat is a bit meh but still. Highly recommended even as a standalone game

Jrpgfan

Erudite
I'm playing Geneforge 5 and having a lot of fun. Really nice game with good writing, tons of C&C and a solid combat system.

I was thinking about playing Avernum next but don't know which one, so this thread is relevant to my interests.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Crystal Souls is mechanically better, so you might as well just play that. Either way they're both fun games. The setting and exploration is great, just like in Geneforge.

Mustawd

I was thinking of buying it, but then read that it's a remake of a remake of an old series, with only 1 and 2 updated to the most recent remake versions. So does Escape feel like a full game by itself?

Yes, each is a standalone game. Avernum: EfTP is ~ 35-60 hours depending on how you play.

Deleted Member 16721

Great game. Open-world, non-level scaled, challenging, atmospheric, etc.. It hits all the notes of a classic RPG. Definitely a standalone RPG.

I personally like to play RPG series like this starting with the first game when possible. Then you have more of an appreciation for the lore, world-building, etc., by later entries in the series. Also, since Avernum 1-6 already exist, it might be worth taking a peek at those if you get really interested in the series. Just a thought.

RuySan

Augur
It's quite good, but combat suffers from to much HP boat, specially on bosses. Like most Vogel games, it becomes a chore near the end.

The setting and writing is top notch

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's quite good, but combat suffers from to much HP boat, specially on bosses. Like most Vogel games, it becomes a chore near the end.

The setting and writing is top notch

Funnily enough, in his earlier games (Exile Series, Avernum 1-3, first couple of Geneforge etc), Vogel relied less on HP and damage bloat to increase challenge.

I mean they still suffered from it, but to a much lesser extent. I'm guessing it was laziness that pushed him towards increasing challenge that way.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
It's not just the HP bloat, Vogel also loves to spam the fuck out of adds during boss fights as well. Boss fights are the one area where Vogel completely sucks dick. The only way he knows how to make them challenging is to have one super souped up enemy that deals a ton of AoE damage, has lots of HP and keeps summoning minions. It's super tedious as this is nearly every single boss fights in his games starting from Geneforge 2, 3 or 4, can't remember the exact moment. Worst of all his AI don't have any patterns, so with bad luck they could spam the shit out of their AoE for a few turns in a row and completely mess you up, or hardly use it at all in another try.

I'd be very happy if he completely dropped the idea of boss fights altogether as he seems to be incapable of making them good (he's had more than a decade time to try).

Sizzle

Arcane
That, as well as: "You get the boss to 75/50/25% health, he uses an item to gain greater power/chugs a potion of invlunuhaste/summons a dozen minions!"

It's all very predictable and samey.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Yeah Vogel games are flawed, all of them. But so are 99,99% of all other rpgs ever made. Nonetheless the gameplay value you get out of vogel games is tremendous for the price he is asking, believe me.

GoG has them on sale right now. Avernum 1-6 and Geneforge 1-6 for a little over 6 bucks together. Thats ridiculous.

garren

Arcane
Patron
I always have lots of fun playing in the beginning of almost any vogel game, but like others said the tedium near the end gets almost unbearable. All the enemy encounters should be cut in half at least in the final third of the game.

Mustawd

Yah encounter design was always Vogel's weak point. One of these days I should try Exile. I heard the 6 man party made combat more fun.

mondblut , you've played the Exile games right? How are they? Can you compare them to the Avernums (if you played them ofc)?

Last edited by a moderator:

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
I haven't played Avernum 1 yet but Geneforge 5 was good. Avadon is a grind, but Avernum 4-6 which I played didn't felt that slow.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Is it worth playing them all starting from Avernum 1?

There are only 5 of Geneforge games. I played Geneforge 4 a little and it was OK, but Geneforge 5 was better. IIRC only Avernum 6 and Geneforge 5 allow for resolution change and support widescreen, previous games were 4:3 which felt annoying to me even though I completed Avernum 4 and 5. I'd say you'll be fine playing Avernum 6 - it's the last in the series chronologically but you lose nothing by playing it first, same with Geneforge 5. Avernum Escape from the Deep is a remake of Avernum 1 and it has some updated mechanics compared to previous games.

Geneforge 5 alone absolutely is worth of those 6 bucks even if you don't touch other games.

mondblut

Arcane
Yah encounter design was always Vogel's weak point. One of these days I should try Exile. I heard the 6 man party made combat more fun.

mondblut , you've played the Exile games right? How are they? Can you compare them to the Avernums (if you played them ofc)?

Better. 6 characters, tons of spells with actual areas of effect instead of popamole "hit everyone", keyword-based dialogue.

RuySan

Augur
GoG has them on sale right now. Avernum 1-6 and Geneforge 1-6 for a little over 6 bucks together. Thats ridiculous.

Good shout, friend.

Is it worth playing them all starting from Avernum 1?

Vogel's games are so huge and samey that you'll eventually burn out. I'm more into Avernum than Geneforge, since i value exploration more than story, but his writing is very good. The Avernum 1 remake (Exile second remake) is probably the best place to start.

You better download Autohotkey though, because these games interfaces are the worst.

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I started with Escape from the Pit in the end, figured a recent remake would have bug & engine fixes and so on that would make it more worthwhile.

I'm actually really enjoying it; it's simple (at least so far) but charming.

I have a level 4 party that consists of a soldier, rogue, priest and sorceror. Any noob traps to avoid or things to watch out for?

pippin

If you run into stuff that will overpower you, you'll kinda know it. For the time beign I'd say you should avoid the big Dragon and the lizard's lair.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom