Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Brother against Brother coming April 16th

Luka-boy

Arcane
If they release in the future a version covering the entire war with a branching campaign in the style of Civil War Generals 2 this could be pretty interesting.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Don't count on them making a demo. I talked to the developer in the past and they made it explicitly clear that they want to prevent people from seeing their games until they have bought them. I don't know if they have come to their senses since then, but I completely gave up on them for I have yet to see convincing evidence that I would like the game. Based on the previous games, which looked like they have no real focus. They put a lot of sweat into this one, so perhaps it's better.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Don't count on them making a demo. I talked to the developer in the past and they made it explicitly clear that they want to prevent people from seeing their games until they have bought them. I don't know if they have come to their senses since then, but I completely gave up on them for I have yet to see convincing evidence that I would like the game. Based on the previous games, which looked like they have no real focus. They put a lot of sweat into this one, so perhaps it's better.

And with that, they lost this potential customer. :rpgcodex:

sser

Arcane
Developer
Wargaming scene is full of penny pinching a-holes. Battlefront started charging for what were essentially patches which led me to stop buying their stuff, too. I don't get it, but I guess they all have the markets to do it.

Gil R.

Barely Literate

Hello, I am one of the developers of "Brother against Brother," and just found this thread via Google. (I of course knew the forum already.)

Burning Bridges, are you by any chance the guy who interviewed me in the bar at Historicon two years ago, after the Civil War trivia competition? If so then we have indeed met, though otherwise please forgive me for not remembering you. (I am one of two developers of BAB specifically, and the odds are less than 1% that you have met the other developer. Not that he's Boo Radley or anything -- he just doesn't travel as much.)

I figured I should address this demo issue, lest there be a misunderstanding. While there will be no playable demo of BAB, it is not because we are trying to trick people into buying our game without one. There is absolutely no chance that I would have indicated that the lack of a demo would be for this reason, though I can see how, at a bar, I might have said something like that as a joke. What I *might* have said, if I was sober enough to be discussing this seriously in answer to a question of yours -- and during that interview I was still quite sober -- is that that there is a valid reason not to release demos for complex games: when people download the demo for a game that takes a bit of time to master they are often likely to give up and then not buy the game, whereas if they buy the game they will invest the time to learn how to play it. So as a business deciding whether or not to release a demo, we and our publisher Matrix have to weigh not only the significant amount of time it would take to make a playable demo, but also whether the demo will gain us enough customers who otherwise would not buy it while also not losing customers who might have bought it (and been quite happy with that purchase). Now, our decision may be right or wrong, but it was made for valid business reasons by people who know the market, and not because we are trying to foist a bad product on people. With that said, when the game is out I recommend checking it out on the forum, reading the AAR's, etc. -- if it's a bad game the lack of a demo won't hide that, while if it's worth considering that will become clear even without a demo.

Last edited:

Gil R.

Barely Literate
Wargaming scene is full of penny pinching a-holes. Battlefront started charging for what were essentially patches which led me to stop buying their stuff, too. I don't get it, but I guess they all have the markets to do it.

I know you're not referring to "Brother against Brother," since the games not out yet let alone patched, but I can assure you that WCS has not ever charged for a patch and has no plans of doing so. After the game comes out we will continue to improve the game's code as well as individual scenarios, and will add new scenarios. We'll be releasing with more than 20 scenarios, and by the end of the year I would expect that number to have grown significantly.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I figured I should address this demo issue, lest there be a misunderstanding. While there will be no playable demo of BAB, it is not because we are trying to trick people into buying our game without one. There is absolutely no chance that I would have indicated that the lack of a demo would be for this reason

there is a valid reason not to release demos for complex games: when people download the demo for a game that takes a bit of time to master they are often likely to give up and then not buy the game, whereas if they buy the game they will invest the time to learn how to play it.

Which of the two statements is true? You are contradicting yourself and you dont see the catch 22 that the majority of gamers will not cooperate and therefore not "invest the time to learn how to play it", that's why you will remain an unknown, unsuccessful developer outside the Matrix forums.

Also do you realize that if you just replace the term "complex game" with "bad game", the message remains the same? This is what concerns us, not your business reasons. We are absolutely able to judge complex games. But we also know that the ratio between good and bad games is several 100:1, that's why we will not buy your game to find out wether we we want it or not.

Kem0sabe

Arcane

Hello, I am one of the developers of "Brother against Brother," and just found this thread via Google. (I of course knew the forum already.)

Burning Bridges, are you by any chance the guy who interviewed me in the bar at Historicon two years ago, after the Civil War trivia competition? If so then we have indeed met, though otherwise please forgive me for not remembering you. (I am one of two developers of BAB specifically, and the odds are less than 1% that you have met the other developer. Not that he's Boo Radley or anything -- he just doesn't travel as much.)

I figured I should address this demo issue, lest there be a misunderstanding. While there will be no playable demo of BAB, it is not because we are trying to trick people into buying our game without one. There is absolutely no chance that I would have indicated that the lack of a demo would be for this reason, though I can see how, at a bar, I might have said something like that as a joke. What I *might* have said, if I was sober enough to be discussing this seriously in answer to a question of yours -- and during that interview I was still quite sober -- is that that there is a valid reason not to release demos for complex games: when people download the demo for a game that takes a bit of time to master they are often likely to give up and then not buy the game, whereas if they buy the game they will invest the time to learn how to play it. So as a business deciding whether or not to release a demo, we and our publisher Matrix have to weigh not only the significant amount of time it would take to make a playable demo, but also whether the demo will gain us enough customers who otherwise would not buy it while also not losing customers who might have bought it (and been quite happy with that purchase). Now, our decision may be right or wrong, but it was made for valid business reasons by people who know the market, and not because we are trying to foist a bad product on people. With that said, when the game is out I recommend checking it out on the forum, reading the AAR's, etc. -- if it's a bad game the lack of a demo won't hide that, while if it's worth considering that will become clear even without a demo.

Count yourself lucky that you are a strategy game developer posting in a subforum most of the codex ignores. Else the "what is the nature of a demo? and does it have a soul?" crowd would be all over you.

Anyways, demo's are good, they wont probably get you a significant number of extra sales, but they will garner you community good will and happy customers. People wont probably be as vocal with their issues with the game if they had a chance to try it before they bought it.

sser

Arcane
Developer

I know you're not referring to "Brother against Brother," since the games not out yet let alone patched, but I can assure you that WCS has not ever charged for a patch and has no plans of doing so. After the game comes out we will continue to improve the game's code as well as individual scenarios, and will add new scenarios. We'll be releasing with more than 20 scenarios, and by the end of the year I would expect that number to have grown significantly.

No, this was fairly exclusive to Battlefront. Also very disappointing. It caused some issues with the community though and I honestly haven't played a BF game in like six or seven years because of it. (I bought everything straight to Afrika Korps.)

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is the american civil war so interesting for americans that they keep getting games out of it?

Aenra

Is the american civil war so interesting for americans

Ρε παπάροβιτς, ό,τι βλέπεις σήμερα και όποια συνέπεια είχε, είτε στον ρού της παγκόσμιας ιστορίας όλους αυτούς τους αιώνες, είτε στην γένεση μίας "ομογενοποιημένης" εθνικής ταυτότητας.. πότε 'αποφασίστηκε'? Τότε :)
Είναι σαν να ρωτάς γιατί οι Έλληνες δίνουν τόση σημασία στην επανάσταση του 21..

If my spelling sucks by the way, you gonna have to deal with it. Did try, lol

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Ρε παπάροβιτς, ό,τι βλέπεις σήμερα και όποια συνέπεια είχε, είτε στον ρού της παγκόσμιας ιστορίας όλους αυτούς τους αιώνες, είτε στην γένεση μίας "ομογενοποιημένης" εθνικής ταυτότητας.. πότε 'αποφασίστηκε'? Τότε :)
Είναι σαν να ρωτάς γιατί οι Έλληνες δίνουν τόση σημασία στην επανάσταση του 21..

Den milaw gia thn istorikh shmasia alla gia to poso endiaferon einai san polemos, san maxes pou 8es na ksanapaikseis.
De kserw emena den me polusugkinei - panta ta bariomoun auta ta games

And a bit of a general translation : I'm not so much talking about the historical importance but more about how interesting it was as a conflict. JarlFrank seems to believe it is interesting for example, I dont really

laclongquan

Arcane
A honest dev would have said making a demo is too bloody much work for miniscule gain.

In this day and ages of torrent and sharing services, the lack of demo wont prevent gamers from trying out games IF THEY ARE INTERESTED.

Τι εγινε ρε, μπουκαραμε στο ντεξ και το πηραμε?

Jau alda isch fick deine mudda jetzte grade inne fotze

Probably happened too if the mum wasn't an ostie behind the fence.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom