Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kathy Rain - Director's Cut

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
She drives a Corley Motorcycle. That has to count for something, guys.

I am enjoying this game. It's not the pinnacle of adventure games but it's p. cool so far. There was at least one puzzle that gave me some trouble so far. The voice acting is pretty solid. Lots of little references to Blackwell and Full Throttle and Gabriel Knight.... So far I would say that I would play another game by the same developers.

I had no idea this game was coming out and I keep a pretty close eye on adventure gaming scene... I am glad an adventure game can come out of nowhere for me and I can be pleasantly surprised. It's a good appetizer before Unavowed...

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
The game is having quite the launch, given the lack of publicity and name recognition -- per Steamcharts, it max simultaneous players was 59. By comparison, Blackwell Epiphany was 105, Technobabylon was 83, Shardlight was 95, and A Golden Wake was 20. (I believe those are the only AGS games that launched at $15 price point.) All of those games launched with a mass mailing blitz from Dave and at least twenty reviews/previews from reasonably prominent sites. (Quest for Infamy was 50 and Nelly Cootalot was 25, and both of those had Kickstarter buzz.) Here, I didn't see any buzz, and it's getting almost Technobabylon levels of players.

I've got a feeling that this developer has a bright future ahead.

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Just finished it. The ending was somewhat underwhelming, so that takes it down a notch, but it was still worth the 15 bucks for an adventure game addict like myself. I liked the tone/atmosphere etc but the story was kind of weak. Not enough was explained and it just sort of ended. Might give more thoughts later.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh boy: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/05/09/kathy-rain-review-pc/

Wot I Think: Kathy Rain
John Walker on May 9th, 2016 at 5:00 pm.

kat02.jpg

Kathy Rain [official site] is the first adventure from Clifftop Games (Joel Staaf Hästö), the story of a journalism student investigating the strange circumstances of the last few years of her grandfather’s life. I previewed it last month and was really impressed. Will that continue for the full game? Here’s wot I think:

I think possibly my favourite aspect of Kathy Rain – a traditional point-n-click adventure built in the pixelly AGS engine – is that for a really long time I couldn’t guess in which direction it was heading.

Would the mid 90s-set tale be “Mysterious goings on turn out to have rational explanation”? Or “Ordinary world turns out to be invaded by science fiction?” Or something in between. Clearly I’m not going to tell you, and as such, am somewhat limited in sharing the full details of what makes the story so interesting with you. But let me take you as far as is safe…

kat01.jpg

Kathy Rain is a journalism student, a disaffected and faux-rebellious 20-something, with the apparent roommate from hell – a diligent and pious Christian girl who attempts to bring order to Kathy’s days. Which appears to involve a good deal of intrusion into her private life, including learning that Kathy’s estranged grandfather has just died, with a funeral taking place the next day.

Kathy, always fond of her grandfather but long separated from her family, decides to attend, and for the first time in many years talks to her widowed grandmother. A grandmother who reveals there was more to her granddad’s death, including recent years spent in an unexplained catatonic state. Kathy’s journalistic ambitions kick in, and she becomes determined to dig through the secrets of her small home town to learn exactly what had been going on.

What follows is a pleasingly traditional adventure, complete with inventory, multiple options for interacting with many scenery items, and a good dose of in-context puzzles to solve, as well as lots and lots of conversation. Which makes it quite a relief that for the most part it’s very well written, and throughout superbly acted. Occasional florid writing does make a few scenes a little silly, and the local priest’s habit of saying, “My child” in every sentence is extremely embarrassing, but these are few and far between. There’s also the splendid inclusion of a “think about” option for lots of items, which is something I’d love to see more adventures copying.

For a good long while this really holds itself together, with solutions to puzzles opening up options for the next (this sounds so obvious, but boy is it rare in adventure games these days, with the majority appearing to be constructed out of dead ends), and a broad cast of characters each offering snippets of the story you piece together. And the puzzles are fair, perhaps leaning toward the easier side, but still interesting.

kat03.jpg

A little after the halfway mark, things get a touch looser. It reaches a point where rather than exploring new locations and finding new items, your task is really only to go from place to place putting new conversation options to old characters, trying to find the one who’ll unlock the next. It’s at this point that the game’s very slow movement speed can start to grate, and unfortunately there’s no slider to speed things up (nor any double-clicking to teleport to exits). Heading to a previous location just in case, and having to sit through the glacial arrival animations, only to discover there’s nothing new there, is galling.

And very near the end there are a couple of puzzles that are… not ideal. One in particular involving a poem will have people reaching for walkthroughs and painkillers, primarily because it’s far too open to ambiguous interpretation.

However, countering that are some puzzles that made me feel like Mr Clever Clogs for solving, lovely details where paying attention to one thing gives you a ‘click!’ moment elsewhere, and you pat yourself on the back for being so excellent. And as I’ve said earlier, the high quality of the characters and acting adds a great deal even through the leaner sections, making this quite a feat for a low budget, small team execution.

The story touches on subjects that will be difficult for some, I imagine. There was one particular scene that had me gnaw on a knuckle for fear of what it might be about to say (which it then handled in a mature and interesting way), and there’s a rare gaming appearance for the word “cunt”, in a very aggressive manner. Which is to say, this is for adults. Good.

kat04.jpg

Comparisons with Wadjet Eye games will be immediate, if only because this is a for-sale game made with AGS with gorgeous background art, strong writing, and pixel characters that look barely anything like their close-up profiles. Uncanny. And those comparisons are well earned! This is up there with the likes of Technobabylon and Shardlight, and Wadjet’s Dave Gilbert provided the splendid voice direction.

I think the ending could have been better embellished, provided a little more closure and be a bit less rushed. And gosh does it desperately need speeding up a mite. But I had a splendid time with Kathy Rain, and thoroughly enjoyed a game where I couldn’t see where it might be heading. Kathy proves a complex and interesting character, and, well, I thoroughly enjoyed playing it. Which is the simplest recommendation of them all.

Kathy Rain is out now (which someone might want to tell publishers Raw Fury, who still have it as a “pre-order” on their site), via Steam, GOG and Humble.

Last edited by a moderator:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ok I got further in the game and I gotta say:

Holy shit this rips off so much from Gabriel Knight

In addition to the things I mentioned in a previous post, it also has:
- a day-by-day structure where you return home once your tasks are done and sleep for the night
- having disturbing dreams while you sleep
- the puzzle where you have to forge a voice message by rearranging snippets of a recording... this reminds me of both the voodoo sign language puzzle in GK1, and a similar voice recorder puzzle in GK2

It's *heavily* inspired by GK, to the point that parallels are clearly noticeable.
I played GK1 (and parts of GK2) only a few months ago so they're still fresh in my memory, making them very obvious to me.

opium fiend

Augur
Played it today, good game, except the plot goes to shit in the end. I mean, I don't even. The end ruined the perfectly serviceable quiet town mystery plot. I'd rather they didn't "reveal" the plot.

opium fiend

Augur
I think that was the worst sentence I've ever written in my life. Anyway, I liked it enough that I want more. Which of the Wadjet games are worth it?

there's this gem that boasts
  • Rabbinical conversation methods
  • Talmudic combat! Fight the way only a rabbi can

Sizzle

Arcane
I think that was the worst sentence I've ever written in my life. Anyway, I liked it enough that I want more. Which of the Wadjet games are worth it?

The Shivah, yeah. That one's good. Pretty short, but good.

Then there's the Blackwell series - also good, but I'm not that big of a fan the series.

Emerald City Confidential - liked it a lot, but maybe that's just because I'm a sucker for reimaginings and exploring the darker subtexts of popular franchises (like Avellone did in TSL).

Primordia - just published by Wadjet Eye, but easily one of the best adventure games ever. Really, can't recommend it enough, it's that good.

Technobabylon - still haven't played through it, but what little I've seen seems good so far.

A Golden Wake - interesting time period to explore, but besides that, the game is pretty bad.

Haven't played Resonance and Shardlight, and didn't like Gemini Rue enough to finish it.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014

I would also add Gemini Rue. The game was published by Wadjet Eye but the developer, Joshua Neurnberger, seems to have gone underground. The game suffers from weird gun combat but luckily there's not that much of it, I think there are maybe 3 gun combat sequences in the entire game...

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ending is pretty shit, but a somewhat ok and short GK nostalgia fest.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent

I would also add Gemini Rue. The game was published by Wadjet Eye but the developer, Joshua Neurnberger, seems to have gone underground. The game suffers from weird gun combat but luckily there's not that much of it, I think there are maybe 3 gun combat sequences in the entire game...

Gemini Rue is my favorite adventure game of all time. The graphics are beautiful, the atmosphere is perfect, and - unlike pretty much all other video games - the writing appeals to intelligent adults. I cannot remember another game which actually made me think.
The game asks an interesting philosophical question, one I never thought about before. It also had a real emotional impact on me. 6 out of 5 stars really.

By contrast Technobablyon feels like complete herp derp. Kinda unsurprising given that the writers were obviously infantile SJW retards (believe me you will notice). That being said, it is still a fun game. I completed it and do not regret the time spent.

However if you play both games start with Technobablyon. I completed Technobabylon right after Gemini Rue - and that made Technobabylon look bad by comparison.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I completed Kathy Rain a while ago and I got to say I was entertained. However, the people who say the ending sucks are not exaggerating, it was much worse than I expected.

Towards the end of the game you gotta agree with Kathy when she says "all this doesn't make any sense to me", and you become real curious what possible conclusion could explain this mess. What could tie this all together into a story which makes sense?
It seems the game developers asked themselves that question in the end too.. and could not find an answer. I was downright angry after completing the game.

But after calming down I gotta say I do not regret playing the game anyway. The puzzles are usually logical, the graphics are great, voice acting is decent. On the bad side I gotta say the characters are all stereotypes and thus not interesting. The protagonist herself is the worst offender here and her personal drama - which is a central plot element - is as stereotypical and uninspired as her.

What I liked best about this game was the 1990s retro feeling. No mobile phones! :yeah:

People who are nostalgic for the 1990s should certainly play this.

I loved that even the liburlism in the game is retro. Kathy is a "strong gurl" - and like all strong gurls she is hot. This follows the 90s Joss Whedon mantra of feminism: "Nobody wants to see unattractive girls".
Oh and everyone is white. Blacks, Latinos, and their "culture" do not exist in Kathy's America. Queers do not exist there either. Christianity is the only religion and it gets bashed 90s-style.

When you are living in the 21st century, in a country where criticizing religion is considered a hate crime, and the people around you largely do not look like you nor speak your language, wear hijabs etc. - that is nice escapism.

Conclusion:
Overall I would say a decent adventure game, recommended for people who are nostalgic for the 1990s.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Looks like the majority of players missed a lot on the ending.

DaveGilbert

Wadjet Eye Games
Developer
Finally got around to this and I was pleasantly surprised. I started this expecting to hate it and its 90s punk version of Veronica Mars, but it was actually quite charming. It seems like a lot of folks here were disappointed with the rushed finale, but what I liked most about Kathy Rain was that the author didn't explicitly spell everything that was going on to you with clumsy exposition, leaving it to the player to interpret:

You learn that the 3 lights are a portal to the Lovecraftian dimension, which exists beyond time and space, so that is how Cocky in the mental asylum can describe the finale events in detail, and presumably how you receive the spooky error message on the tape. In the other dimension, humans are faced with doppelgangers that psychically battle with guilt, trauma etc. Cocky was defeated by his doppelganger, which is why he went insane. The drowned girl was defeated by her doppelganger, who returned to reality completely changed... So who is the ghost that appears at the finale? It's gotta be Someone Else. Grandpa survived the ordeal, but chose not to return his consciousness to reality (why?), which is why he was in the vegetative state without any brain damage. Recall that in a dream sequence, Crimson Man is playing chess against his doppelganger, and they discuss how CM has lost all his good pieces - presumably the drowned girl, cocky, and grandpa. Recall in the other dream sequence, it's the CM's doppelganger who is inciting aborted kid to burn the painting. The ghost in the finale uses the exact same phrasing as CM's doppelganger, so Kathy has been doing his bidding all along, probably letting him escape from the other dimension to Earth. Whoops! Recall that Cocky describes CM as the man who Kathy has reunited (will reunite) with his family. And what does CM do once unleashed on earth? Collect the soul of Isaac. There's your sequel hook.

Yes, the ending is not as tidy as I would like, but the above kinda makes sense to me, and even without that interpretation it's still a conclusion to Kathy's personal quest to resolve her family issues and the origin story of her Mystery Inc detective agency. It's not as ambitious as GK1, it's a smaller story with lower stakes, but still felt satisfying.

I directed the voice acting for this game and talked to Joel a LOT about the plot, yet all this completely passed me by. I am impressed you figured it out!

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
been playing it since yesterday. it's pretty good so far if not too easy. the characters are okay and the story is intriguing me enough to keep playing. have heard bad things about the ending, but i hope the journey can overcome the destination's weakness.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
finished the game. it was short, pretty good - ish. i think this makes for a decent blackwell or gabriel knight -lite.

definitely not a bad game for a dude's first project and oasis' interpretation makes a perfect sense on that ending that seemingly really underwhelming.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
It is a series that showed a lot of potential. However, it's very unlikely we get a second one considering how poor the sales were. I'm still looking into their next project with a great interest. It was one of the best AGS I ever played.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
is the sales really bad? it has around 80k owners on steam according the the spy
Most of the sales came via a Humble Monthly Bundle in November, I think? Not sure how much income that generates. My sense is that as bundles go, Humble Bundles are pretty lucrative for developers.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
yeah. it also sells alot better than shardlight, which sadly only sit at 15k sales at most in steamspy. as of now it only have like 6k owners and i dunno how the numbers fluctuate so much

belated

Augur
Finished it this weekend. Quite short, but not bad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom