Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Middle-Earth: Shadow of War

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://kotaku.com/target-leaks-shadow-of-mordor-sequel-shadow-of-war-1792760792

Gold Edition includes:
• Slaughter Tribe Nemesis Expansion
• Outlaw Tribe Nemesis Expansion
• The Blade of Galadriel Story Expansion
• The Desolation of Mordor Story Expansion
• Gold War Chest
• Over $125 in total value

Nemesis Expansions include a new Orc Tribe featuring new enemies, followers, missions, abilities, weapons, Fortress and wilderness updates, and a Mythic Gear Set.

Story Expansions introduce a new campaign, playable character & abilities, side missions, enemies, allies & more.

Experience an epic open-world brought to life by the award-winning Nemesis System. Forge a new Ring of Power, conquer Fortresses in massive battles and dominate Mordor with your personal Orc army in Middle-earth™: Shadow of War™.

Go behind enemy lines to forge your army, conquer Fortresses and dominate Mordor from within. Experience how the award winning Nemesis System creates unique personal stories with every enemy and follower, and confront the full power of the Dark Lord Sauron and his Ringwraiths in this epic new story of Middle-earth.

In Middle-earth™: Shadow of War™, nothing will be forgotten.

Won't be too long before official announcement. Shadow of Mordor was a very pleasant surprise to me.

Deleted member 7219

Mordor again? What the fuck? Did they only pay to use a small part of the Tolkien licence or something?

I had enough of Mordor in the first game. It was actually quite good, and well presented, but I don't want to return to that environment and do the same stuff again.

DeepOcean

Arcane
The nemesis system made the original game sandbox interesting because crazy shit could happen, like you going to fight an ork captain and end fighting five with one imune to pretty much all your attacks, or some douchebag of a captain killing you three times and gaining the ability of infinite enemy reinforcements to make things more interesting. However it failed hard into keeping things engaging halway through, the novelty stopped being novelty by 50% in and you being able to have your green men orks was criminally underutilized as you only could do anything interesting with it when the game was about to end.

The popamole combat and pulp trash fanfiction story didn't help too. Are they going to do another game? How? If they didn't manage to maintain their mechanics fresh for eeven a single whole game? Guess LoTR dumb fanboy cows will give D1P milk anyway. :M

Deleted member 7219

First Age Beleriand could be an interesting setting for a game.

Third Age is boring as shit.

A Silmarillion game would be great... my dream game is an Obsidian or CDProjekt developed RPG set in the early days of Middle-Earth. Never going to happen, though. The Tolkien Estate are determined to never licence out that part of the IP.

These guys don't have an excuse for their lazy retreading of Mordor, though. Plenty of other interesting places in Third Age Middle Earth.

DeepOcean

Arcane
A Silmarillion game would be great... my dream game is an Obsidian or CDProjekt developed RPG set in the early days of Middle-Earth.
Obsidian maybe but CDProjekt hell no, if that was the case it would be better to watch the game on youtube.

sullynathan

Arcane
They need to make the nemesis system feel a bit more natural. It was good in the first game but certain things only happened when the player triggered side missions x, it would be better if orc captains acted on their own even without player involvement.

Last edited:
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's not as though Tolkien's writings ever precluded the possibility of other adventures in Middle Earth (the Istari were doing something in the 2,000 years preceding the War of the Ring), but I'm a bit underwhelmed this is the best they can do. If there was ever a concept that was calling for more personal style quests PS:T style it was Middle Earth.

Mordor again? What the fuck? Did they only pay to use a small part of the Tolkien licence or something?

I had enough of Mordor in the first game. It was actually quite good, and well presented, but I don't want to return to that environment and do the same stuff again.

Apparently the big selling point of this game is that you get to use your Ring of Power to fight a Balrog.

"sigh" Oh well. Time for Ring Souls I guess.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So.... does codex like the first game?

I consider myself to have an extremely lenient taste on videogames, heck I enjoyed later Assassin's Creed games and "checklist" open world games like Mad Max, but I really really really HATE Shadow of Mordor. Combat didn't have that much inpact in it and the only satisfying thing was doing executions. Its difficulty was weird as fuck, I could easily slaughter 100+ orcs in less than 3 minutes but the game sometimes would just throw warchiefs who are immune to literally anything and it's impossible to fight them one on one. The world was lifeless, customization was boring, quest structure was... did it have any? I thought that I needed to be a LoTR fan to appreciate it but a friend of mine who is a LoTR fanatic said that the game's story made very little sense so idk what the appeal of it is. But then again I only spent 8 hours in it so I'm not sure if the game actually gets deeper in second location or not. Definitely worst 12 bucks I've ever spent.

Deleted member 7219

I consider myself to have an extremely lenient taste on videogames, heck I enjoyed later Assassin's Creed games and "checklist" open world games like Mad Max, but I really really really HATE Shadow of Mordor. Combat didn't have that much inpact in it and the only satisfying thing was doing executions. Its difficulty was weird as fuck, I could easily slaughter 100+ orcs in less than 3 minutes but the game sometimes would just throw warchiefs who are immune to literally anything and it's impossible to fight them one on one. The world was lifeless, customization was boring, quest structure was... did it have any? I thought that I needed to be a LoTR fan to appreciate it but a friend of mine who is a LoTR fanatic said that the game's story made very little sense so idk what the appeal of it is. But then again I only spent 8 hours in it so I'm not sure if the game actually gets deeper in second location or not. Definitely worst 12 bucks I've ever spent.

The gameplay is solid but repetitive. It's fun to run around chopping off orc heads.

The story is appalling. Hurr durr akshun in Middle Earth with spirits and magic - the kind of thing Tolkien used extremely sparingly in his own writing.

Hellion

Arcane
At about 1:35 of the announcement trailer:

5d33fa735be7432dbd76d60f4fb684c6.png

"WE WUZ RANGERS N' SHIET". MC Diversity indahouse.

Maybe they took the term "Black Numenorean" literally.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Steam Page is up:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/356190/

System Requirements are already released:

System Requirements

• Minimum:
    • Processor: Intel i5- 2550K, 3.4 GHz
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: GeForce 670 | Radeon HD 7950
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection
    • Storage: 60 GB available space

• Recommended:
    • Processor: Intel Core i7-3770, 3.4 GHz
    • Memory: 16 GB RAM
    • Graphics: GeForce 970 or GeForce 1060 | Radeon R9 290X or Radeon RX 480
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Storage: 60 GB available space

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The nemesis system made the original game sandbox interesting because crazy shit could happen, like you going to fight an ork captain and end fighting five with one imune to pretty much all your attacks, or some douchebag of a captain killing you three times and gaining the ability of infinite enemy reinforcements to make things more interesting. However it failed hard into keeping things engaging halway through, the novelty stopped being novelty by 50% in and you being able to have your green men orks was criminally underutilized as you only could do anything interesting with it when the game was about to end. The popamole combat and pulp trash fanfiction story didn't help too. Are they going to do another game? How? If they didn't manage to maintain their mechanics fresh for eeven a single whole game?
The Nemesis System was awesome ... and then they didn't really use it for much. Like DeepOcean said, it was underutilized. They added idiotic story DLC in its own little world hunting monsters, completely ignored Nemesis after release. Stupid.
Now I haven't even checked out the trailer for this yet, but the Steam page mentions the Nemesis System first thing, which is a good sign. IF they had the brains to make Nemesis the foundation of the game, instead of making 20 hours of Troy Baker cutscenes as the main game with Nemesis as an afterthought, then I will love this sequel. I was certainly able to make my own fun with the original once I got the garbage main quest over with. I still go back to it from time to time just to fight nemesis orcs. That includes the invulnerable ones that are a huge pain in the ass - I love those fights way more than meat grinding 1,001 no-threat losers. Getting 3 or 4 bosses in one place while the alarm is going and more reinforcements keep coming - that's Batman combat at its finest. Now I'm off to read whatever I can find to see if it's possible the promise of Nemesis might actually be realized here.

P.S. Check out the Steam trailer (different from the trailer posted above). Gold.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
OK, just watched trailer.

First: God I am already sick of Talion. He embodies all that is loathsome and worthless in the word "cutscene".

Second: Wow, that really was gratuitous. "Orcs! Balrogs! A dragon! Sauron himself! Buildings getting knocked over! And hey, there's a black guy!" Just wow.

Zombra

Patron
Oh noes, if you fear 20hs of Troy Baker, Zombra, how about 20 hs of super Troy Baker?
The guy on the Forbes article about the reveal said he'd like to see Talion become corrupted by the new ring and turn to evil. I'd love to see that, anything to make him less bland and vacuous. Of course if anything like that happened he'd end up redeeming himself through the power of the heart or some shit which would make me want to blow my brains out. But the first part is a nice idea.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Oh noes, if you fear 20hs of Troy Baker, Zombra, how about 20 hs of super Troy Baker?
The guy on the Forbes article about the reveal said he'd like to see Talion become corrupted by the new ring and turn to evil. I'd love to see that, anything to make him less bland and vacuous. Of course if anything like that happened he'd end up redeeming himself through the power of the heart or some shit which would make me want to blow my brains out. But the first part is a nice idea.
Well, maybe the idea of you defeating Sauron is so retarded that even Warner Brothers executives would realize that and they could come "This game is cannon, Troy Baker can't defeat Sauron." to placate the wild power fantasy of smelly degenerate fanboys. However on this gay Earth , nothing is sacred when the power of the big bucks is present.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom