Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for Wii U and Switch

Exhuminator

Arcane
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person burnt out on Zelda. Granted I've been playing it since 1987, but still. I haven't seen anything from BotW that's amazed me. Disregard I'm a shithead who can't get excited about regurgitated Nintendo design sprinkled with WRPG tropes.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Zelda has always been my favorite rpg series. So deep and so much rpg complexity. I may have been exaggerating a little when I said it was my favorite. Asians really know how to make rpgs.

Indeed good sir. Zelda games always have been excelent jRPG's. Asians do know how to make the best things in this world. +M

Please explain why you believe Tetris isn't a great jrpg? +M

Now you are getting into the Codesx's spirit dear newfag. :salute:

Welcome to the best RPG forum on the internet! :obviously:
:happytrollboy:

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Zelda has always been my favorite rpg series. So deep and so much rpg complexity. I may have been exaggerating a little when I said it was my favorite. Asians really know how to make rpgs.

Indeed good sir. Zelda games always have been excelent jRPG's. Asians do know how to make the best things in this world. +M

Please explain why you believe Tetris isn't a great jrpg? +M

Now you are getting into the Codesx's spirit dear newfag. :salute:

Welcome to the best RPG forum on the internet! :obviously:
:happytrollboy:

Well, since every game is an rpg calling this an rpg forum is redundant. But I appreciate and accept your welcome to what you consider to be the greatest general gaming forum on the internet.

---

Arcane
Well, since every game is an rpg calling this an rpg forum is redundant. But I appreciate and accept your welcome to what you consider to be the greatest general gaming forum on the internet.
So naive.
You won't think the same thing in an year month day hour.

KK1001

Arbiter
Bunch of leaks are out. Seems to be a severe lack of content unless the dataminers are missing things.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Funny thing is that at the time Legend of Zelda was released, it was called an "action-adventure" game and no-one confused it with RPGs. Yet today, it's not uncommon to see the Zelda series referred to as being "action-RPG" or "adventure-RPG" or even just "RPG". :rpgcodex:

Keldryn

Arcane
The other funny thing is that only pedants such as RPG Codex members get their panties in a bunch when someone calls Zelda an RPG. :cool:

One time, I tried explaining to my wife why many don't consider Zelda to be an RPG and she just rolled her eyes. She doesn't play many modern games, but she played a lot of A Link to the Past and Link's Awakening back, as well as the two DS Zelda games. She also played a ton of JRPGs on the SNES, PS1, and DS. To her, the differences aren't enough to classify them as different genres.

I suspect that her take on it is probably not uncommon among more casual gamers. Zelda is a fantasy game with a lengthy quest where you fight monsters, find treasure & magic items, and get tougher as you progress through the game. That's probably sufficient for many people.

Machocruz

Arcane
It's mostly people who don't have a background or experience with real RPGs (tabletop) that label everything a RPG. They only know vidya, and not even ones that hit closer to the mark emulating PnP games. It's always ridiculous when people think their uninformed ideas have any validity, but LoZ never stopped CRPGs from being made. And most of the time when I see someone says it's a RPG series, they are outnumbered and corrected.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Bunch of leaks are out. Seems to be a severe lack of content unless the dataminers are missing things.

Since you failed to even attempt at posting a link...

MASSIVE SPOILERS AHEAD!

EDIT:

Oh boy.

Now, I'm an old man so spoilers don't bother me.

But I saw some of the armor/weapons and god damn, lets just say that fans of another zelda game are gonna be happy depending on how they liked that zelda game's "end game" items.

SUPER SPOILERS:

Fierce Deity armor and weapons are available from Majora's Mask.

Karellen

Arcane
It's mostly people who don't have a background or experience with real RPGs (tabletop) that label everything a RPG. They only know vidya, and not even ones that hit closer to the mark emulating PnP games. It's always ridiculous when people think their uninformed ideas have any validity, but LoZ never stopped CRPGs from being made. And most of the time when I see someone says it's a RPG series, they are outnumbered and corrected.

I don't think I agree. People who play real RPGs (I'm one) would just as easily think that the only inarguable distinction to RPGs and non-RPGs is the presence of an improvising human GM to handle situations for which no explicit rules exist, and beyond that point it's mostly pedantry. Sure, CRPGs might be trying harder to imitate PnP RPGs in some areas, but it seems like a petty thing to get hung up on when, for all that, they lack the one thing that really defines RPGs, which most certainly is not a leveling system.

Zelda is an interesting case because it doesn't have a leveling system, which arbitrarily became the essential "RPG mechanic", yet it somehow feels like an RPG nonetheless in a quacks-like-a-duck-walks-like-a-duck sort of way. That's largely because it's not "fantasy"-themed, it's RPG-themed. There are no fantasy stories that revolve around crawling in dungeons, opening gigantic chests to discover epic loot and killing countless monsters for gold pieces to give out to greedy merchants so you can buy bigger swords to kill bigger monsters with. At least, not until RPGs appeared and made that a thing, nowhere more so than Japan, where Wizardry is a far more important source of fantasy fiction than Tolkien is. The things you do in Zelda are the sort of things you do in RPGs, so it makes sense, in a way, that a lot of people put in the same ballpark as RPGs; particularly so since subsequent ARPGs (with leveling and all) are derivative of Zelda.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Cemu soon

rz4njar5sfiy.png

PS: Everything is same on wii u as on switch except lower resolution, means the game will be looking best on pc (ofcourse). It also means switch must be pretty shit

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Funny thing is that at the time Legend of Zelda was released, it was called an "action-adventure" game and no-one confused it with RPGs. Yet today, it's not uncommon to see the Zelda series referred to as being "action-RPG" or "adventure-RPG" or even just "RPG". :rpgcodex:

What are you a NAZI? Every game is an rpg and almost all of them are better than the games people traditionally think of as rpgs. This site is the most hardcore rpg ever and they didn't even bother posting news about the shitty turn-based inXile game that came out today, nor care or cover traditional rpg games. Hell, strategy games get far more coverage than traditional rpgs. And the funny thing is the game that came out today is basically a jprg, so you'd figure they'd love it. It has an emo child with a ridiculous haircut as the protagonist.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
This site is the most hardcore rpg ever and they didn't even bother posting news about the shitty turn-based inXile game that came out today, nor care or cover traditional rpg games.

Well actually...

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/torment-tides-of-numenera-released.113928/

What does a forum thread have to do with the news section? I may be older than the average 10 to 15 year old on this site but isn't the news section where important news should go? If not, why have one? On the upper right, right under rpgcodex, is a row of site content that starts and highlights news. This is the news section, right? If not, what the fuck is it?

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Cemu soon

rz4njar5sfiy.png

PS: Everything is same on wii u as on switch except lower resolution, means the game will be looking best on pc (ofcourse). It also means switch must be pretty shit

How well does the emulator run on an average pc? Is it stable? Can you play it fully with a normal controller?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
How well does the emulator run on an average pc? Is it stable? Can you play it fully with a normal controller?

I tried 2 games and were running them no problem (super mario 3d world and wind waker hd), this emulator runs wiiu much better for me than 10 year in development dolphin running normal wii.

Yes you can play it with a normal controller, because wii u has a normal controller and the emu has the option to emulate it.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
They have a 4k pack already, even tho the game does not boot yet and 'official' release is in 2 days

https://www.reddit.com/r/cemu/comments/5wsw97/the_legend_of_zelda_breath_of_the_wild_4k/

:lol:

Jesus fucking christ. These guys work fast

By the way were did they download the game?

You can play with a normal controller and even the keyboard and mouse. As for a PC, something with at least a GTX 960/970 is recomended.

KK1001

Arbiter
You'll also need a solid i5 or above (or a Ryzen). Emulation is highly CPU-bound.

Also, is anyone surprised?
1) There are FPS drops on the Switch, particularly caused by bombs, fire, and in probably some of the villages.
2) The Switch is a $300, undertooled gamble with nothing but a Mariokart port, Splatoon, and a Mario that might be good this year. Unlike the PS4, its future is in serious question.
3) Even if you want a Switch, they'll probably be fairly hard to find for the first month or so.

Still questionable whether this just isn't another dead open world game too.

tet666

Augur
They have a 4k pack already, even tho the game does not boot yet and 'official' release is in 2 days

https://www.reddit.com/r/cemu/comments/5wsw97/the_legend_of_zelda_breath_of_the_wild_4k/

:lol:

Jesus fucking christ. These guys work fast

By the way were did they download the game?

You can play with a normal controller and even the keyboard and mouse. As for a PC, something with at least a GTX 960/970 is recomended.

Emulation noobs, always thinking emulation is the same as pc gaming in terms of requirements...
GFX card doesn't really matter as long as it's relatively recent and not onboard so you don't need a gtx960/970 even the lowest entry level is enough.
What does matter is your CPU the more single thread performance the better since most workload is on a single thread so get the best CPU you can get and oc it as high as possible a recent I5 or I7 (last 2 gens preferably, newer architecture means more work done per clock)
at 4+ ghz would be the best choice atm but even a recent I3 will be better then any AMD cpu until Ryzen is released since all of them suck at single thread performance.
Of course it always depends on the game how much power is needed to reach full speed, for example Mario 3d World runs on a toaster while Xenoblade and Bayonetta need a really good CPU.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom