Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Amiga Rage Thread

RuySan

Augur
The Amiga was my sole machine between 89 and 96. People had to be there to know what was so special about it. It was the biggest technological leap that I remember.

Going from the spectrum straight to the Amiga, like many people in Europe, I suppose, it's something that most Americans won't understand the impact. All the colours... And that sound was poor bliss.

While ultima underworld showed the machine was getting obsolete, there were still many good games released until 94.

And how was it that it was most like a console??? I made my homework on it, and the printer did its job properly for 7 years.

Yes, the 1200 should have come one year earlier and with mandatory HD, maybe it would have been different. Or maybe not.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Some of the later games were good too, Clickboom's Napalm was quite good RTS, OnEscapee was quite decent too, made by some hungarian bros I think. Alien Breed 3D was very good fps even if the graphics were BLOCKY, Nemac 4 was decent too but best amiga FPS was probably Genetic Species though, and technically probably best one. Foundation was also decent Settlers-clone, and Wasted Dreams was fun action-adventure, but most of the later games were fucking shit, or overly ambitious. Good example of that was Space Station 3000 which was never completed, it was basically gonna be like Star Citizen, where you can go to the space station and manage it, jump to the space fighter and have FPS-sections for invading other space stations, it was ridiculously ambitious plan especially back then.

RuySan

Augur
Didn't know about Napalm, but it looks pretty good.

The games i was thinking about were stuff like Ruff n'Tumble, Virocop, Naughty Ones. Just solid arcade fun without trying to keep up with the contemporaries on the pc.

Last month I had the pleasure of interacting with an Amiga 500 for the first time, for about an hour or so. Yes, I've read about and listened to lots of stuff about the computer for 30 years, but it's only now that I get a chance to see it first-hand.

The machine was a little rickety (monitor image would flicker if you as much as looked at the cable) but I could see the obvious charm of it.

Didn't change the fact that the little bugger was possessed. I've used dozens of floppy drives, but never one that sounded like it was raging at the world while in use. The keyboard would stop receiving input at times and I felt that the case got too hot after just 5 minutes of being turned on.

Hopefully I'll get more time with this machine in the future, but first hands-on impressions are interesting.

those look to me as signs of a broken machine, it's a miracle it was still working.

still today both the true multitasking and the embedded operating system are huge technologies we're never going to see anymore. in the early '80s, when the walkman was high tech, we had the amiga. that's why i can hardly appreciate any so called today's "marvel of technology": frontier resided on one, single dd floppy. all i see now is graphics.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
And how was it that it was most like a console??? I made my homework on it, and the printer did its job properly for 7 years.

The games developed for it was mostly console type games.

One thing that impressed me about the Amiga was that I could borrow my mother's work printer, plug it in, press Print and it printed out the thing I wanted printed right away, without any nagging or error messages.

RuySan

Augur

The games developed for it was mostly console type games.

One thing that impressed me about the Amiga was that I could borrow my mother's work printer, plug it in, press Print and it printed out the thing I wanted printed right away, without any nagging or error messages.

Populous? Lemmings? Black Crypt? Syndicate? Cannon Fodder? Mega-lo-Mania? Laser Squad? North & South? Sim City? Power Monger? Wings? D/Generation? Elite? Frontier? Hunter? Deuteros? Supremecy?

I could go on forever.

You're massively wrong. Even action arcade games were much different from what was seen on consoles. Less slick for sure, but with much more style and soul. Turrican 2, Shadow of the Beast, Gods, The Chaos Engine, Lionheart....

dammit, i loved deuteros *_* but i've never been able to survive the first attack :V alright, i was a kid and i was doing something horribly wrong for as smart as i could have been but i've never been able to figure out what. last time i tried to emulate it i haven't been able to make the save disk work.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Populous? Lemmings? Black Crypt? Syndicate? Cannon Fodder? Mega-lo-Mania? Laser Squad? North & South? Sim City? Power Monger? Wings? D/Generation? Elite? Frontier? Hunter? Deuteros? Supremecy?

I could go on forever.

You're massively wrong.

Maybe. I guess I sampled too narrow a range of Amiga games. Maybe that's why I'm not such a nostalgic fanboi today; I liked CRPGs too much, and they were mostly convertions.

Elite was originally a BBC Micro or Archimedes game, though, although the Amiga version was good. Frontier was one of those games which made me despair at how much much better the PC version looked.
Oh, and you forgot to mention Midwinter. ;)

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Going from the spectrum TO8 straight to the Amiga
It was a gap indeed.

My amiga 500 is from far the machine where I've played the best games, but the main reason is that it was a period of good games more than the machine itself since many of them were multi-machine games and the best version was not necessarily the amiga one.

Last edited:

RuySan

Augur
The Amiga 600 looked kind of stupid, but besides that i don't remember much downsides. Some of my friends had it so i only used for gaming purposes though.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Being a happy kid in the 90's. Saturday night at a friends house. Moonstone title blinking on a almost faded small TV-screen. Popcorn getting ready in the micro.

Amiga makes me miss childhood. :negative:

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I remember playing this quite a lot, not great but pretty fun action game.

RuySan

Augur
Moonstone and North & Stone were the party games of excellence besides sport games. There wasn't any of my friends who didn't love those games. Eventually I became so fed up with North & South that I made up a story about the game catching virus.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom