Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I'm gonna play Oblibibbivion again

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Are you trolling? Or have you seriously gave us the video with the anime girl inserted in Oblivion as an example of what a great game it may be if you replace everything in it with a user made content?

Todd_the_Liar

Novice
Wasn't your argument that oblivion didn't age well? Given what modern games look like and the replacement mods typical skyrim users install to make it look presentable, how is skyrim different?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Or maybe, you know, some of us just want to play a game where we don't have to redesign and redo every single aspect (not just graphics, but also systems, combat, area design, loot, NPCs, basically everything) from scratch as the vanilla game is fundamentally such an unbelievably hopeless trainwreck?

Last edited:

Todd_the_Liar

Novice
Knew that would be the next argument. Yea let's install Requiem that changes every single aspect of the game and pretend we're playing vanilla.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Wasn't your argument that oblivion didn't age well? Given what modern games look like and the replacement mods typical skyrim users install to make it look presentable, how is skyrim different?

On release Oblivion had surprised people with a big open world, emergent gameplay, radiant AI, good graphics. All of this was lately done better by Skyrim, few of good things in Oblivion are not present there. This is why Oblivion has aged poorly.

Right now you can get Skyrim Special Edition, launch it and have decent experience out of the box. And any person would be able to get into it. Oblivion would be hard to get into for any person who have played any game made in the last 10 years.

Edit: And Requiem is too an amateur mod aimed to make a game "more hardcore" by making it even more unbalanced than original. Which is what most mods do, even the best one succumb to kitchen sink features mentality and make compromises like adding poorly explained mechanics you have to use it through dialogue menu that opens when you use special item in your inventory. Never use mods that aren't graphics/UI/bugfix slight improvements in a vein of an original, just look for another game that is complete and balanced experience.

Todd_the_Liar

Novice
For a game that was released 5+ yrs before skyrim and can be modded to look as good as skyrim I don't see how it's aged badly.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
For a game that was released 5+ yrs before skyrim and can be modded to look as good as skyrim I don't see how it's aged badly.
Sadly the graphics are only the beginning of Oblivion's issues.

Some of which Skyrim fixed.

circ

Arcane
I'm not sure Skyrim really improved that much. Exploration in some parts probably, for example:

Oblivion, that I remember, had three types of dungeons. Ayleid ruins, crypts and caves. The exteriors for these were fairly varied, but internally they pretty quickly became indistinguishable from one to the next.

Skyrim by comparison still has a similar formula - Nordic ruins, dwemer ruins, caves, and admittedly these get boring quickly too, mainly because of the lackluster NPC encounters. But the area design is a world apart from Oblivion. But judging from the extremely unimaginative area design in Fallout 4 I think that improvement was just an accident.

Faces, sure. Textures or meshes, not really. Look at weapons and armor from the two games and Oblivion equipment is much more detailed and interesting looking. Or compare Morrowind to Skyrim.

Combat got worse. It's more fluid and with better animations in Skyrim, but it's also a lot easier compared to Oblivion. Unless you learned when to block in Oblivion you'd quickly end up dead, even to some low level random bandit. In Skyrim you can just hack away easily at a similar difficulty level. You don't have to worry about armor and weapons degrading either. Then again, bows aren't complete garbage in Skyrim.

Interface in Oblivion still instilled a feeling of fantasy. In Skyrim, the interface is something from a modern appliance like a TV.

Turjan

Arcane
The best part is still character generation.

3F8C9F001FF743422FB80C23157316E6DF32DF4E

You don't need any mods for that.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Well, graphics in Oblivion, outside NPC design, never were a huge issue. So not sure what you're trying to prove.
The problems run much deeper.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
4vl3jp.png

So the first thing I have done in the game is to create the waifu of my dreams. Because you know, in a game where you will spend probably a lot of hours it's better to have a chracter that you like to look at. I highly doubt that I will do it too much due how horrible the third person camera is but you never know.

After getting out of the tutorial area the first thing I've done is explore two dungeons. Two forts which looked extremely similar and in terms of structure that were mediocre going to bad in terms of design. Seriously, the only thing I did on them is killed a couple of proper level scaled bandits and demons. There's no indicator that I've explored anything. In Skyrim tend to be treasures, dragon shouts, random weapons at the end of the dungeon or even through them. Also they tend to have any "riddle" in terms of story or gameplay. But in Oblivion? They're hollow. I prefer decent linear dungeons instead of half-backed convergent ones. In terms of graphics I disabled the bloom effect thanks that the game has an option to do it, thanks to Akatosh. In the console versiones there's no choice. That's a point to the game. To the PC version at least. The distance of rendering is actually very low, even on max settings, making hard to enjoy looking the landscape (That's a thing that Skyrim improved a lot as a open world game). I really apreciate the artworks from the class creation menu in the tutorial. The stats system is something that I really missed in Skyrim.

Not a good start. Let's remember what does the game have to offer in terms of missions. I remember the Dark broterhood questline and some random missions over here and there. And I really want to visit again some places. I really liked Skingrad back in the days.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
In Skyrim tend to be treasures, dragon shouts, random weapons at the end of the dungeon or even through them. Also they tend to have any "riddle" in terms of story or gameplay. But in Oblivion? They're hollow. I prefer decent linear dungeons instead of half-backed convergent ones.

I wouldn't say it's necessary a good thing. I think Skyrim and other games like that goes too much out of the way to make every place unique, to have some sort of story. When everything is unique nothing is unique. I'd prefer for it to have more of simple caves or bandit lairs. There are caves with just a bear or two but even they tend to have some sort of leveled chest. Takes out the thrill out of experience.

I had a similar problem with Witcher series. Every damn quest is not what it seems. It's so predictable in its unpredictability that I you become bored. Oh look, the guy needs some help. Let's find out what's the catch this time: the guy himself is evil? He tries to rob you? It turns out it was a misunderstanding?.. It's like watching Shyamalan movie, you know there's a twist so it never surprises you.

About sats: I didn't miss them as much as class system. In Skyrim it's too easy to fall into a familiar playstyle as every starting character has roughly the same abilities. So if I want to play as archer this time I'll still find it more enjoyable to slash people the way I usually do unless I conciously limit myself to mostly shooting. In Oblivion you already had that problem but at least you had some boosts to certain abilities in the beginning.

deama

Prophet
I liked Oblivion's quests much more than Skyrim's.

Also, even though there's like 6 voice actors in Oblivion, I liked them a lot more than the mundane norse wannabes in Skyrim.

hellbent

Augur
I liked Oblivion's quests much more than Skyrim's.

Thieves and Assassins Guild quests were indeed far superior in Oblivion. I enjoyed them much more than the main quest itself. Damned Oblivion gates and shitty consolised UI / terrible PC controls made it very painful to play through, though.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
In Skyrim tend to be treasures, dragon shouts, random weapons at the end of the dungeon or even through them. Also they tend to have any "riddle" in terms of story or gameplay. But in Oblivion? They're hollow. I prefer decent linear dungeons instead of half-backed convergent ones.

I wouldn't say it's necessary a good thing. I think Skyrim and other games like that goes too much out of the way to make every place unique, to have some sort of story. When everything is unique nothing is unique. I'd prefer for it to have more of simple caves or bandit lairs. There are caves with just a bear or two but even they tend to have some sort of leveled chest. Takes out the thrill out of experience.

I had a similar problem with Witcher series. Every damn quest is not what it seems. It's so predictable in its unpredictability that I you become bored. Oh look, the guy needs some help. Let's find out what's the catch this time: the guy himself is evil? He tries to rob you? It turns out it was a misunderstanding?.. It's like watching Shyamalan movie, you know there's a twist so it never surprises you.

About sats: I didn't miss them as much as class system. In Skyrim it's too easy to fall into a familiar playstyle as every starting character has roughly the same abilities. So if I want to play as archer this time I'll still find it more enjoyable to slash people the way I usually do unless I conciously limit myself to mostly shooting. In Oblivion you already had that problem but at least you had some boosts to certain abilities in the beginning.

I don't entirely disagree. However I do prefer always finding something of value to the hollow realization that I will pretty much never find anything usefull in any of those pathetic, copy-pasted dungeons.

As for character building... even if you don't have specific "classes" in Skyrim, you at least have a "build", you focus on something and make it good. Outside of extreme autism cases, you cannot realistically be good at everything... not even at most skills.
In Oblivion (and Morrowind), even if you start with a class, that's pretty much meaningless. You will shortly become a master in everything. Scratch that, class tags skills which you should use LEAST to achieve an optimal character.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom