Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Official 'dex Dwarf Fortress Thread

Beowulf

Arcane
It's lagging mainly due path-finding. So dig-out a lot of space and connect Z levels randomly. don't forget shitton of items everywhere.
Don't forget to kill all the cats (or put them in cages, if you want to diversify your diet).

He gave me tips to DECREASE fps instead of increasing to stress my pc.

My reading comprehension check failed. Leaving it for posterity.
So don't kill the cats in that case, let them reproduce.

Perkel

Arcane
Actually i have better test. I will load up 10x10 map. On my i5-3470, 8GB DD3-1600 and SSD(500read/write) i get about 40-60fps.

DHL just delivered me MOBO. So only ram remains.

7700k doesn't come with standard cooler (lol intel) so i will use some uber shitty 50W intel cooler for now. By monday i should get proper cooling so for now i will be running probably downclocked 7700k if it will run at all.

Perkel

Arcane
upgrade done. thanks to NVMe drive windows loads in 3 seconds compared to 7 on normal SSD. Sims 3 loading time of breachport went from 7,5 minutes on HDD to 1 minute on NVMe drive.

Now it is time for DF :D. I'll try to load 10x10 and see how it goes. I had 40fps if i remember right on old hardware.

Perkel

Arcane
Wow it is actually playable at least at start. I am doing right now 100fps (hit by calc limit). That is 10x10 mind you :cool:. I will up calc limit to something like 300 lets see how fast it will go. Though i have right now uber shit intel cooler so i can't OC both CPU and Ram for now (by monday i should get decent one)

edit:

seems like 130-140 fps is current score for basic start scenario on 10x10 map.

Andnjord

Arcane
So esteemed Codexers fellows, I've come back to DF after quite a few years (I think the last time I played it was in 2012) and after a few fortresses I've been unimpressed by the amount of FUN! to be had so far. Goblin sieges (the only ones I've had) are few and far between (once a year if they even bother at all) and get massacred by legendary adamantine-clad militia (which is easy to get 20 of since they have all the time in the world to train up) narrily breaking a sweat even against more than a hundred of them. There are no tantrum spirals either, even when I lost half of a fort to an accidental Candy breach. Is it because Toady in his quest to recreate the real world forgot about leaving FUN! in? Should I roll back to an earlier version? If so which one?

Incantatar

Cipher
So esteemed Codexers fellows, I've come back to DF after quite a few years (I think the last time I played it was in 2012) and after a few fortresses I've been unimpressed by the amount of FUN! to be had so far. Goblin sieges (the only ones I've had) are few and far between (once a year if they even bother at all) and get massacred by legendary adamantine-clad militia (which is easy to get 20 of since they have all the time in the world to train up) narrily breaking a sweat even against more than a hundred of them. There are no tantrum spirals either, even when I lost half of a fort to an accidental Candy breach. Is it because Toady in his quest to recreate the real world forgot about leaving FUN! in? Should I roll back to an earlier version? If so which one?
Just do a challenging embark. My last two forts were cavern forts open to the wildlife. Lot of fun with Forgotten Beasts storming in every couple of years. I'm not a fan of the challenge due to bugs in the prior versions. But it's an option as well as modding.

Perkel

Arcane

So you cheated got adamantine embark and you complain game is to easy ? Then you probably enclosed your colony in mountain with one door which was trapped as fuck or even better you had bridge to it who retracts.

Gee i wonder why game is too easy.

If you want to play standard DF then you should choose place at random and work your way from there. Getting best place makes DF to easy especially if you cheat and see what is underground. Getting your fortress in place without ability to produce food will instantly make FUN as you will actually need to do something about sieges as you can only buy food from caravans.
Frankly speaking if you want fun then do normal city on ground without AI exploits like bridges or enable enemies digging in DFhack if you still want underground fortress.

IF you want even more FUN use mod DARK AGES mythos of ramrok. It adds like few other factions and crapload of new enemies who can visit your fort (not just sieges).

Core Features

• Dwarf Fortress + Horror Fantasy (add-on). Includes all features of vanilla.
  • 27-Adventure Races: Wide range of up-start adventurers and fortress Heroes.
  • Unique Pets: Hound, Cave Lynx, and more. Tougher with grooming and interactions.
  • Monsters & Mega-Beasts Pack: Cyclops Brutes, Old Ones, Banshee, Greater Foul Blendec, Mummies, Sphinx, Wendigo, Liches, Summoners and more.
  • 100+ Ironhand based Tileset: Adds graphics for Monsters & Animals.
  • Lairs, Shrines, Hamlets, Roads, Bridges, and Labyrinth are abundant.
  • 14-Civilizations: Orcs, Gnolls, Wizards, Lizard People, Legendary Dwarfs, and more.
  • Creatures respect ethics, spheres, personalities, and life goals.
  • Maximized Legends: Hyper Eventful World Histories.
  • Dark Ages Adventure Crafting: Detailed yet simple Adventure Crafting.
  • Meaningful New Buildings: Rockforge, Woodshop, Alchemy Lab, and more.
  • Dozens of Necromancer and original magical types.
  • Terrifying Vampire Strains: Lesser, Greater, Nocturne of Moths, many more.
  • Werebeasts Enhanced: Silver weak, Werebears, Werescorpions, many more.
  • Cthulhu Mythos: Lovecraft denizens.
  • More Evil Weather.
  • 450+ Random Book/Artifact Titles.
  • Legendary Dwarfs: Rugged, skilled, and playable ancient Dwarfs.
  • Explore the Year 999,999.

Last edited:

Andnjord

Arcane
So you cheated got adamantine embark and you complain game is to easy?
Ehm, no in my last game I just dug down to the magma sea during the second year because I couldn't find any flux stone. Aren't all maps supposed to have magma seas and adamantine pillars in them?

Then you probably enclosed your colony in mountain with one door which was trapped as fuck or even better you had bridge to it who retracts.
I did do all that but never actually got to use it due to not needing them. My problem has been that in all my fortresses (4 that went far enough) in the first year no invaders show up. In the second 8-10 show up. In the third only they come up in full force (40-50) but at this point it's too late as I already have lots of steel or adamantine (in case of no iron/flux stone embark) and the dorfs I drafted early in the second year have plenty enough time to get to axe/hammer/spear lord level. My question is if that's normal invader behaviour (once a year if they can be bothered at all) or if I've just been unlucky? Never missed a caravan due to sieges except for that one time where I discovered traps prevent Depot access.

Just do a challenging embark. My last two forts were cavern forts open to the wildlife. Lot of fun with Forgotten Beasts storming in every couple of years. I'm not a fan of the challenge due to bugs in the prior versions. But it's an option as well as modding.
Aye, that sounds like a fun idea, I'll try something like that I think.

IF you want even more FUN use mod DARK AGES mythos of ramrok. It adds like few other factions and crapload of new enemies who can visit your fort (not just sieges).
I'll look into it, thanks for the suggestion.

Perkel

Arcane
Also you can lower in RAWs learning rate for most of races to something like 50%. This will ensure that you won't be able to get xxxlords in just 2-3 years. I always set it up to 25% and switch off artifacts creation (due to their shitty skill boost making children insta legendary xxxmakers)

This along with over ground city provides ton of fun and changes how you play game. Patrols for example are crucial so you don't lump your whole army in one place but create schedules patrol lines etc.

Andnjord

Arcane
Also you can lower in RAWs learning rate for most of races to something like 50%. This will ensure that you won't be able to get xxxlords in just 2-3 years. I always set it up to 25% and switch off artifacts creation (due to their shitty skill boost making children insta legendary xxxmakers)

This along with over ground city provides ton of fun and changes how you play game. Patrols for example are crucial so you don't lump your whole army in one place but create schedules patrol lines etc.
Aye, I saw that option, but I was afraid it would just make the game too slow. I guess it should make casualty rates higher though.
About legendary xxxmakers children, is it not possible to just turn off artifacts for them specifically? I find artifact creation genuinely entertaining.

Andnjord

Arcane
So, regarding !FUN!...
New fortress in an evil biome, despite a rough start (undead alligators!) things are shaping up nicely. After a year and a half though I start receiving messages about dwarves being drained of blood. I start investigating but because the world history is quite young vampires haven't had time to be massively older than everyone else and accrue lots of skills. Nevertheless I find one guy from a recent migrant wave who doesn't own a bedroom, so I quarantine him. Fast forward 6 months later and I suddenly see several "Mc Urist was interrupted by O'Urist" messages followed by dwarves chasing and killing each others in the hallways. Then the drained bodies crop up once more. I proceed to check on the quarantined guy only to realize he's dead, alone in his sealed off room. Crap....
:deadtroll:

....Unable to find the offending vampire by legitimate means I bow my head in shame, open DF hack and type "cursecheck all"...... By ye Old Gods... The list is 16 dwarves long(out of 58 living dwarves)... All of them cursed in the current year (so after the original drained bodies turned up)...:badnews:

Any one has any idea on how this mass curse might have happened? Thoughts about the future of this fortress?

Andnjord

Arcane
Riiiight, went through Legends Viewer and found that Reg Foundmachine, the carpenter arrived in 101 at my fort (founded in 100) was the vampire. She only had time to drain one poor sucker before she was gored by an rampaging Tuskox in 102. BUT, guess where she was killed? That right, in the cistern. The newly minted vampires must have been drinking from the poisoned well (or rather, they were wounded in the Tuskox rampage and must have been given water from there).

New plan, forbid all the alchohol and force everyone to drink from the well?

Andnjord

Arcane
I suddenly see several "Mc Urist was interrupted by O'Urist" messages followed by dwarves chasing and killing each others in the hallways
From checking the Legends Viewer some more, it turns out that there's quite a few vampires that were struck down by other non-cursed vampires who happened to catch them trying to suck someone else's blood. Ye Gods, this IS !fun!

EDIT: I've counted 21 dead dorfs since the Vampire epidemic started....Tantrum Spiral soon?

Incantatar

Cipher
Awesome, make a vampire fort. Useless migrants go in the dinner chamber, the others need to drink from the fountain of immortality.

Andnjord

Arcane
Thing is, because of all the deads this fort hasn't reached 80 people yet, so no sieges. The dwarfs have been their own biggest enemy. :incline:

imajia

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Oh this fucking game.

Returned to DF after a few years break. After starting to make my inner peace with the current version while my teeth were grinding like millstones (really? 112 growable plants instead of only 21?), the game just throws more annoying shit at me.

After respectfully declining to become a barony, random dwarfs are declared the rightful heir of blabla. Now I have nobles of 4 baronies and 1 county. Oh and my chief medical dwarf crowned himself king. WTF?
Including the mayor, that's 7 nobles pestering me with their demands and mandates.
mI6t7Mv.png
At least they still work, but enough is enough. Welcome to the wrestler squad.

Some new parts make kind of sense, like my carpenter, who takes forever to lug a log around. Apparently, he is just incredibly fat (good luck finding that info in the wall of text)
dmaK9Dx.png

So far I didn't get any kobold ambushes and I wasn't able to piss of the elves enough for an attack. But the goblins don't hold back. Every year there's a siege with 100+ goblins and beak dogs.

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
good luck finding that info in the wall of text
well to be fair it's color coded and broken into paragraphs. and i'd imagine that she's slow due to being "... quick to tire and very weak", aptly written in red.

imajia

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Thanks, that makes sense. I'll take that just as another DF moment.
Speaking of which, I noticed that they really like to bash out the teeth of their opponents. From the 400+ body parts which are are currenlty lying around my fortress, there are at least 200 teeth.
xdX21Ek.png
During the very first fight, my first axe dwarf does the reasonable thing. Why hacking into your enemy with the axe when you just can bash his teeth in? The trend continued. That's probably one thing I'll never get tired of: reading DF combat logs

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Mark it for dumping. It could be magmaed later. Or make earrings, game has things like ☼Dwarf Tooth Earring☼ but I am not sure if necromancers can reanimate teeth.

Perkel

Arcane
Vampire Hammerlords make for awesome killing squad to handle evil biome FUN!

Though i would create enclave for normal dwarves first as i think you can't have ALL dwarves as vampires or wareasses. I think you need at least one normal unit to not have game over screen.

Also if you want mega fun try to play evil biome near oceans. Having gigantic evil clutchu to fight seems like a lot of FUN!

imajia

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Mark it for dumping. It could be magmaed later. Or make earrings, game has things like ☼Dwarf Tooth Earring☼ but I am not sure if necromancers can reanimate teeth.
No need for manual dumping, that's what the winded retractable bridge at the entrance is for. On the level bellow is the same setup with the "smasher". Although it doesn't guarantee that all fights take place where I want, it helps a lot.
INPMJyG.png

As fas as I know, artefacts made out of dwarf bone can only happen as a result of a fell mood. Never got one of those. Especially in the current version you have to try really hard to make them unhappy.

Perkel

Arcane
I remember once getting lead war hammer artifact. Shit was amazing with people flying everywhere undersiege.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom