Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BattleTech Pre-Release Thread

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...ts_the_BattleTech_franchise_he_cocreated_.php

Jordan Weisman revisits the BattleTech franchise he co-created

Transposing a board game into the digital realm is always a challenge. It requires animating game pieces and coding mechanics that were never meant to be animated or coded. It requires deciding which rules to retain and which to pare down for the sake of accessibility.

But it’s an even greater challenge when the property you’re porting has a long and storied pedigree, and complex systems that were conceived in an era when tabletop games rarely if ever made their way to PCs or consoles.

This was the task facing Jordan Weisman, the creator of legendary tabletop franchises like BattleTech and Shadowrun, when he and his team at Harebrained Schemes decided to bring BattleTech into the modern age in the form of a turn-based tactical PC game. After successfully rebooting Shadowrun as a series of PC games, Harebrained successfully Kickstarted an update of their venerable sci fi mech wargame. The new BattleTech game will be published by Paradox Interactive later this year.

As a medium, video games allow for more latitude for storytelling and world building than traditional tabletop miniatures game. But the decision to return to turn-based strategy is surprising. Recent video game adaptations of the franchise have tended to be in the action or vehicle sim genre. MechWarrior, a first-person mech action take on the BattleTech brand, is the most popular digital version of the tabletop franchise.

Btech1.jpg

2nd edition of BattleTech tabletop game [via boardgamegeek]

Weisman says the current gaming landscape provides a unique window for a return to BattleTech’s origin. “It’s been over 25 years since we have done turn based tactical game, but in recent years there’s been a renaissance of tactical turn-based games, and we were excited to think about how BattleTech could build upon what has gone before and even push the genre forward a little bit," says Weisman.

"BattleTech producer Mitch Gitelman and I have contributed to several of the MechWarriors,” he adds. “and led the creation of the MechCommanderseries, so we really have an appreciation of what the real-time versions of BattleTech are. But we also understand their limitations."

Weisman insists that going back to something that more closely approximates the play of the original 1980s tabletop wargames will allow for far more nuance in the game design. "BattleTech has always been a squad (or as we call it, a Lance) based game," he says. "While we were able to reflect this in the MechCommander games, we could not model the mechs, their interactions, and their MechWarrior pilots in as great a depth as we can in this turn based game.”

BT01.jpg

Authentic tabletop mechanics and modern videogame nuance

Weisman says that the new BattleTech models damage to individual components of a mech and the systems mounted there. (If a leg is blown off, the missile pod attached to it is no longer available, just as it was in the tabletop game.) The game will also feature more sophisticated interactions than previous PC games. For instance, huge impacts to the mech can stun or wound pilots. It was those sorts of advanced mechanics that Weisman wanted to retain from the original tabletop BattleTech.

But the team quickly discovered that complete fidelity was impossible. “My original 35-year-old tabletop design is both our biggest asset and also one of our biggest challenges."

Harebrained discovered that they had to subtly change some of the original mechanics in order to offer players' more discreet risk/reward relationships, and attempt to overcome some of the original game's limitations, such as making the smaller mechs more valuable in combat.

A storyline focused on scrappy mercs, not noble houses

Weisman also found it was valuable, building a mech game that was driven by an overarching narrative in a way the tabletop game’s one-off skirmishes were never designed for. He blended in RPG elements from the Mechwarrior games, which were more reliant on storytelling.

“The campaign structure was inspired by MechWarrior II Mercenaries [1996]," he says. "We chose to set the game in the 3025 era at the start of the franchise timeline because it was an era in which mercenaries played a particularly important role in the geopolitical landscape of BattleTech's Inner Sphere.”

MechWarrior2.jpg

MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries [1996]

Giving players control of a small company of mercenaries rather than putting them at the head of a noble house gives the player more agency, Weisman says, and allows for more freedom of movement and less static engagements. “Of course, that freedom comes at the cost of having to bear the costs of keeping your company afloat. As the player navigates the stars of the Periphery and takes contracts from the many pirate kings and petty dictators that reside there, their mercenary company builds reputation with each of them and eventually with the Noble Houses themselves.”

Incorporating this sort of narrative structure and building an open campaign gives each battle more meaning and, more importantly, allows Weisman and his team to incorporate more of the BattleTech universe’s history and lore, one of the most compelling dimensions of the franchise.

Weisman also considered historical parallels from outside of the BattleTech universe. Despite its far-flung science fiction setting, with giant mechs and vast space ships battling amongst the stars, Weisman insists that BattleTech is grounded in real history.

“I have always believed that stories based upon historical circumstances just feel more authentic to human nature,” Weisman says. “BattleTech is a retelling of the story of the rise and fall of the Roman Empire mixed with the concepts of nobility from the middle ages, and a WWII aesthetic. The initial game is set during our equivalent of the period of Roman Successor States, when the city states of Rome battled with each other to be the seat of the resurgent Roman Empire.”

This sense of fractured empire is the core of the BattleTech setting, one where a stagnant elite has divided along lines defined by ancient loyalties and wages a seemingly endless series of internecine wars.

BT02.jpg

“Of course, the result was not a resplendent Rome, but a technological and sociological decline into the dark ages, setting up the opportunity for the Mongols to invade," Weisman explains. He adds that people who know the history of Rome will see the parallels to BattleTech touchstones like the Noble Houses of the Inner Sphere and the Clan Invasion.

Fine-tuning tactics

The narrative elements are a key differentiator between BattleTech and other mech-based science fiction, but there are other important differences that Weisman points to that make it stand out from a crowded market of turn-based properties.“This is a modern turn based tactical game with 3D terrain, line-of-sight, cover, etc., but BattleTech brings some interesting new aspects to the genre. There are three axes of tactics that are unique to BattleTech: heat, stability, and melee.”

The concept of overheating may sound like a fairly simple consideration, but it adds an important layer of strategy and resource management. While a massive salvo of weapons fire from one of your big mechs might cripple or even destroy an enemy unit, it might also leave that mech incapacitated and wide open to retaliation.

“Every action a BattleMech takes generates heat, especially weapons fire," Weisman says. "As heat builds, the mech becomes less efficient and will eventually even do internal damage to itself. In order to stop the internal fusion engine from melting down it will shut itself down, making the mech a sitting duck on the battlefield. As the saying goes, ‘The bigger they are, the harder they fall,’ and BattleMechs stand over 10 meters tall so they fall very hard.”

Then there’s stability, a concept that most mech sims don’t bother with despite the fact that their core units are rather ungainly bipedal robots. Unlike tanks, walking robots have the disadvantage of becoming extremely vulnerable if, for instance, one of their supporting limbs is destroyed, or if an explosion is powerful enough to throw them onto their backs.

BT03.jpg

“Stability is an interesting tactical axis because it is a persistent value for each mech value based upon the sum of your and your opponents actions. Movement, terrain, weapon hits, and most dramatically, melee hits all impact the stability of a mech which eventually can cause it to fall over. While shut down from heat or knocked over by losing stability mechs are vulnerable to ‘Called Shots’ which allow opponents to target specific hit locations on the mech. BattleMechs are huge vehicles with 11 different hit locations, each with its own armor, internal structure, and components (including weapons), so combat facing is much more important than in most tactical games.”

Capturing those three critical axes, and retaining the sense of feudal strife and aristocratic bickering on a deadly, cosmic scale, are the keys to ensuring this newest iteration feels like a proper BattleTechexperience. "Our primary goal is to make sure that our game remains true to the spirit of the original tabletop game, that it feels authentic, and that the mechs perform as expected," says Weisman.

Weasel
Very interesting thread in terms of graphics/framerate/optimisation (if that sort of thing appeals), even though the beta is obviously not the finished product this is an analysis of the current framework from someone who knows what they're talking about:

https://community.battletechgame.com/forums/threads/9061
Heya! My name is Stephen Coan-- I'm a technical artist, currently working at Blizzard on Heroes of the Storm. I'm incredibly excited for BattleTech's release! I've been a fan of MechWarrior and the BattleTech IP for years. I've never played the tabletop game proper (though I've played MegaMek), but I've enjoyed most of the videogames based on it!

I'm running a relatively powerful PC, but I was getting some framerate issues while playing the BattleTech beta. I saw this as an opportunity to flex my tech art skills by digging into what could be behind my framerate troubles, and I wanted to share with you my findings
1f642.png

To diagnose my issues, I hooked into the game using RenderDoc. If you're unfamiliar, RenderDoc (https://renderdoc.org/) is an open-source graphics debugger. It basically sits between the CPU and GPU, logging the resources and commands sent to the GPU for rendering. It's an incredibly powerful tool for optimization--I highly recommend checking it out if you're a game developer! The logs themselves can be enormous, so I won't post them here; Each frame I captured of BattleTech translated to half a gig of data.
(contd)

TL;DR

Draw Calls in BattleTech:

- Lots of draw calls = a CPU bottleneck.

- Seeing a LOT of draws when the camera is pulled out and viewing the entire map.

- Props, units, foliage, terrain, and skybox are majority of draws. Order of drawing is already well-optimized.

- Foliage is well-instanced.

- Rocks are ripe for instancing! Outdoor details are generally, no matter the genre of game or which engine is being used.

(I'm unaware if Unity provides features to make instancing easier, but Unreal does instancing under the hood when using its mesh placement tools.)

- Commonly clumped props could be combined.

- Mechs are a lot of draw calls. Could easily be combined, with destructible parts masked off in the shader.

Coming soon: Optimizating BattleTech's Shaders! This is what I'm really interested in tackling. We can optimize the # of draw calls to eliminate the CPU bottleneck, but we might still be doing too much work on the GPU. How expensive are the materials in-game, and could we reduce the cost without affecting the look of the game? Is poly count a problem? Terrain tessellation: A WIZARD'S MAGIC?

Weasel
Ah, also just noticed the transcript is out for the latest Q&A for those who didn't watch it (he says he'll do one for the previous Q&A too which hadn't been posted)

https://community.battletechgame.com/forums/threads/8986/
Here is the transcript for the Q&A. Sorry for the long delay. I will get the one for the previous Q&A up as soon as possible. Figured you all would love to have the more recent one first.
1f642.png

• People present: Mitch Gitelman, Holly (Animator), Steven (Technical Artist), Mike McCain.
  • Mitch says that right now, BattleTech has entered an exciting time in development. Previously, the game was being developped in pieces. Tyler [Carpenter] and Andrew have been working on the singleplayer story along with Kevin Malony. AJ and Kiva have been working on the Mercenary Sim. THe art team has been working on cinematics, visual effects, environment, ... Right now, those pieces are being put together. When you take it all together, it's where the rubber meets the road. There is a lot of anticipation, with figuring out how to go from here to the end product. As a gamedev, you basically want to die, you want to develop stuff, not start planning it all out. Soon, you'll have the game as a gem and HBS will be chipping away at the edges to make it shine. There is still roughly a metric fuckton of work left to be done.
  • Steven became a technical artist basically by sitting a lot behind a computer and repeatedly banging his head against it. He wanted to be in game development right after he played Doom and Quake. He always stradled that line between being an artist and an animator. He started out with fixing computers and then moving up to programming. He went to school in California and focused on 2D animation. 3D stuff he figured out on his own. Then he got into a few animation projects before moving to Seattle. He worked on the movie Food Fight as an animation / mo-cap cleanup guy. He ended up at HBS.
  • Mitch heard something that Steven said and that resonated within him. The great people, the great developpers are always curious how things work and start out by making stuff on their own, trying out different things. One can create an "audition" as it were by using the Shadow Run Hongkong editor and making something with it. Learn how you create a game as well, it will help you with getting into the industry.
  • Holly started out with a traditional animation study. She was and is into painting, drawing, movies and games. That led her into animation. Shortly after school, she was hired by HBS and worked on Strikefleet Omega, creating characters and 2D animations. Then HBS went 3D with Shadowrun and Holly moved with it. Her advice for getting in the industry is that get something you are good at and studios need, but also be ready to adapt. She has now been an 3D animator for 5 years.
  • A technical artist (as defined by what Steven is doing right now) is working on the character side of technical art. Setting up animation rigs ... An animation rig is ... imagine a 3D model as a puppet. The rig is the strings that connect everything together and allow the animator to manipulate the model for animations. and act in a predictable way. And make it easy for the animator, the better the rig, the easier to create the animations. Holly depends on Steven's rigs.
  • Holly's favorite character in the game is Kamea (sheer badass), Steve is a fan of Yang (badass and a cybernetic arm and leg). Kamea blends badass and beautiful, along with a great portrait. Mitch gets to walk around and see it all coming together.
  • Holly loves (animation-wise) the Atlas Mech a lot, simply because she throw a lot of "weight" behind it. There is this GIF of an Atlas kicking an Orion and the arm flies off. All of the elements coming together, with the kick and the lighting and the scale and the physics and the sound ... Mitch loves the collaboration of every team member. It feels a lot like the final game as well. The game always iterates and now the game is at a point where the big picture is shown (as with the beta for instance) and you can see the final product.
  • Holly found kicks the hardest to animate. A human, when kicking, throws him or herself completely off-balance. With Mechs, you have the pilots doing that and slamming against the windshield. It didn't look right at first and almost, there wouldn't be any kicks whatsoever. They solved it by binding it to a Mech moving forward.
  • As with body slamming, it seems logical to BattleTech fans that you want to protect your cockpit and as such, don't headbutt an enemy but use your shoulder and torso instead. Holly feels however that not every Mech has "sufficient" torso twist or shoulder twist or geometry to keep that head safe. But it is a struggle to make it look good.
  • Steven's favorite tool was made by a friend at HBS and it helped him a lot to rig the Mech models that they received from PGI [MechWarrior Online]. There are also scripts that help with the pipeline (getting stuff as quickly in the engine and game) by automating stuff. Reduces errors and that.
  • PGI's Mechs also came with their animations, but those had to be adapted to fit BattleTech and the type of game HBS is making. About 50% of the animation suite is being used, but those had to be changed with regards to timing and adapt to a turn-based environment. The other half is made from scratch by Holly, including Melee.
  • Melee animations started out by just animating two Mechs, an Atlas and Commando going at it. You had these different punches and stuff. You then noticed the ones that didn't feel right and reworked those, going through all of the animations and ending up with the ones that you want. Holly then started going through each Mech individually and working on melee animations. You'll see that some Mechs, with similarities in Body structure, will share melee animations. The UrbanMech is a special case, with a lot of unique animations. That makes it expensive too.
  • Some of Steven's challenges has been setting up pipeline stuff. There is also collision volume, the boundaries that define when an object is actually colliding with something. The smaller you can make that volume, the less you are demanding of your processing power. If the collision volume is off, you can see punches going through the model without doing anything. There are also tools that offer animation events. Tying a foodstep and a sound effect together for instance. It all had to be done by hand for Shadowrun. Steven now has a tool that allows Holly to put keyframes in Maya and that datafile can get passed between Maya and Unity. Steven also makes tools himself. How to export a Mech from Maya to Unity for instance.
  • Limping is a placeholder in the beta. HBS got animations for that from Piranha, but they need to be edited. Those animations must be slow and feel heavy, but right now, it doesn't feel right. It is being revised. Mechs will limp.
  • You want an animation to look and feel good, but the game must still progress. It must flow.
  • All the animation states (mech dodge, mech hit, mech heavy hit, mech melee, ...) that you see in the beta are the ones that they had to have in the game. It is the minimum. After beta, they are able to expand on that and add more. Do not forget that each of those animation sets have to be created per BattleMech.
  • Falling forward is still hard, because you need to add a new idle state with the Mech resting flat on its front, a new animation with it getting back up, ... That you have to multiply like 50 or 60 times.
  • HBS isn't sure that there will be quads and their animations. Will it be harder to make than bipedal animations? Holly just feels it will be a blast to make quads. It will be a challenge. However, quads will NOT BE IN THE GAME WHEN SHIPPED.
  • Holly says that Steven is also good at animating and is a great drawer. Steven says that Holly is really really committed to getting the animations right. Right now, there aren't a lot of Mech games to compare the game to. You have Robot Jox, you have Gundam, both that vary wildly in animation style. Steven feels that BattleTech right now has its own animation "language".
  • VARIOUS ROUND
  • Mike will not be going to GenCon. Jordan will, the game too. Mitch will be at GamesCom in Germany. There might be a panel at Pax this fall too. Might.
  • HBS loves the community too. Honest! They are part of the community as well.
  • Clan Mech DLC? In success, everything is possible.
  • You'll start the singleplayer campaign with access to a few story missions. Those will set-up the story, your unit and the way you get around the starsystems. Afterwards, your mercenary campaign kicks-off and you are sorta "on-call" for the Aurigan Restoration (and yes, you can ignore them). Lady Arano will be fighting her war and you are going to be sort of the "special ops" help. As the Restoration conquers planets, more story missions will get unlocked. You can't run through one story mission after another, the war has to make progress before you can do another story mission. You can go to planets whenever you want, do a few missions there, launch and go to another planet. But you'll also see these "Restoration Events", like planet sieges or assaults, which will unlock more story missions. You can "grind" a bit before those missions.
  • Please do continue filling out the surveys. In a month(ish), there will be a new update and HBS would like you all to focuse then on the surveys as well. It will allow HBS to gather data and compare it to the previous beta state.
  • The multiplayer beta update will be out this year, no worries! HBS had to take a step back with the beta and refactor certain code architecture in order to have a solid base for it. HBS didn't like to do that, but skimping on it, you are pushing the problem down the road. It must be fixed.
  • You can't buy prints of Mike's BattleTech art because, technically, HBS doesn't have the license for that.
  • Mitch and Mike didn't know when the third part of the Stackpole novella will be out. Follow up necessary.
  • There won't be Steam Workshop support for mods. BattleTech is a different game from Shadowrun, yes. HBS doesn't shutdown mods. Shadowrun did have an mission editor, allowing access to the engine itself. However, BattleTech this time around does not have one guy working one year around the clock on such an editor. Thus, no mod tools for BT, but mods aren't discouraged.
  • Can you fail the singleplayer campaign? Yes, you can run out of money. There are a lot of ways to get money and lot of ways to save money. You gain money and salvage by doing missions. You can even decide how much to pay your troops, which also affects your monthly expense rate and morale. You can take loans too but if you reach a quarter (sidenote: quarter instead of month because travel time must also be taken into account) without meeting your expenses and you are unable to take another loan, it is game over. You'll get fair warning in advance though and you can recover.
  • Charging isn't in the game. Displacement events are complex. It was prototyped. Distance turned out be important and very very fiddly. Being too close for a charge, being too far away ... Displacing the units back in space was eventually beyond the scope of the game. Not to mention what happens when you charge a Mech into a wall.
  • Can you get your MechWarriors and crew drunk in the game? Probably. There will be at least one event in the game involving alcohol.
  • There are events that pop up, random events, but tied to events in a way. For instance, after a mission, you have an event that tells you of a barroom brawl between two mechwarriors. You get to choose on how to deal with it and it will result in morale changes and / or tag changes for those pilots. Another example: if you do not have a lot amenities (rec room, bar, ...), you will get more negative morale events as a result. Get those amenities and you'll get more positive events.
  • There might be some "behind-the-scenes" video with some help of HBS' partners, but, we'll see.
  • Fauna will not be in the release cycle. HBS would rather have infantry in the game than fauna. But, there are some birds though!
  • Mechs are penalized when shooting / melee after standing up. HBS is experimenting with having some accuracy bonuses for arm-mounted weapons for the beta. This implies that you would lose the accuracy bonus if you lose all the weapons on that arm.
  • The PVP Beta Update will have gameplay changes. What those are, you'll see.
  • Beta Feedback was really helpful. There was a lot of information. A. Lot.
  • You will not be able to turn to piracy in order to gain funds in the single-player campaign.
  • Two examples of what low morale can do. Unhappy MechWarriors can leave your employment. Low morale will result in bad events. More fights, ... Morale of your crewmembers also dictates your morale level when starting a mission.
  • HBS is looking at critical hits and tuning the hit frequency. As to the effects, you'll see those more in the sim part of the game. Crits will in the future (in progress) destroy components more easily. Do remember that in the sim game, there will be more components than in Skirmish or Multiplayer. Gyro upgrades and the like, which are also vulnerable to crits. After launch, more components will be made available in multiplayer as well.
  • The story of the game will only indirectly tie-in to the novella's released by Stackpole.
  • You will only barely be able to move into the Inner Sphere. If you happen to be pretty far from a Restoration Event, you will get reimbursed by the Restoration for moving back to help them.
  • MechWarriors won't gain negative "perks". They can get certain tags in the sim game, but having a perk like "shell-shocked" and bam, your MechWarrior is now afraid of missiles ... That's something for post-launch. Maybe.
  • In some missions, you will have allied support, meaning there will be allied units on the map, helping you. Not on a grand scale, you don't want to have to move your units, and then wait for the enemy AND your allies to move theirs.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Very interesting thread in terms of graphics/framerate/optimisation (if that sort of thing appeals), even though the beta is obviously not the finished product this is an analysis of the current framework from someone who knows what they're talking about:

Blizzard are one of the best around at making stuff that just works, and runs on a toaster. HBS seems to have been extremely sloppy.

Unwanted

Janise

Unwanted

Blizzard are one of the best around at making stuff that just works, and runs on a toaster. HBS seems to have been extremely sloppy.
Bullshit. Blizzard makes low poly garbage and calls it STYLISH! Morons like you buy it.

Unwanted

Janise

Unwanted

Heya! My name is Stephen Coan-- I'm a technical artist, currently working at Blizzard on Heroes of the Storm. I'm incredibly excited for BattleTech's release! I've been a fan of MechWarrior and the BattleTech IP for years. I've never played the tabletop game proper (though I've played MegaMek), but I've enjoyed most of the videogames based on it!

I'm running a relatively powerful PC, but I was getting some framerate issues while playing the BattleTech beta. I saw this as an opportunity to flex my tech art skills by digging into what could be behind my framerate troubles, and I wanted to share with you my findings
1f642.png

To diagnose my issues, I hooked into the game using RenderDoc. If you're unfamiliar, RenderDoc (https://renderdoc.org/) is an open-source graphics debugger. It basically sits between the CPU and GPU, logging the resources and commands sent to the GPU for rendering. It's an incredibly powerful tool for optimization--I highly recommend checking it out if you're a game developer! The logs themselves can be enormous, so I won't post them here; Each frame I captured of BattleTech translated to half a gig of data.
(contd)

TL;DR

Draw Calls in BattleTech:

- Lots of draw calls = a CPU bottleneck.

- Seeing a LOT of draws when the camera is pulled out and viewing the entire map.

- Props, units, foliage, terrain, and skybox are majority of draws. Order of drawing is already well-optimized.

- Foliage is well-instanced.

- Rocks are ripe for instancing! Outdoor details are generally, no matter the genre of game or which engine is being used.

(I'm unaware if Unity provides features to make instancing easier, but Unreal does instancing under the hood when using its mesh placement tools.)

- Commonly clumped props could be combined.

- Mechs are a lot of draw calls. Could easily be combined, with destructible parts masked off in the shader.

Coming soon: Optimizating BattleTech's Shaders! This is what I'm really interested in tackling. We can optimize the # of draw calls to eliminate the CPU bottleneck, but we might still be doing too much work on the GPU. How expensive are the materials in-game, and could we reduce the cost without affecting the look of the game? Is poly count a problem? Terrain tessellation: A WIZARD'S MAGIC?
Guy says he has fps drop issues. Goes on to show something vague about CPU bound DrawIndexed calls, giving no indication if it actually is the source of the load.

Then switches to arguing for a GPU bottleneck reduction via LODS...
LODs are a solution to both overdraw and small triangles--if I were to make one change to BattleTech to improve GPU performance, it would be to add LODs. It's an extra burden on the art team to generate LODs, but I can't overstate the performance savings it would grant.
Blizzard...

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Bullshit. Blizzard makes low poly garbage and calls it STYLISH! Morons like you buy it.
Starcraft, warcraft were some of the best rts games of their time in terms of production values. They also ran amazing, and to this day are still played by millions.

Instead we get barely literate people who pretend to be software developers using unity to constantly churn out poorly optimized shit.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
How dare these sloppy indie developers fail to reach the level of polish of products made by a $1.1 billion revenue company!? Extremely sloppy!
Styg built an engine and an rpg better than anything currently running on unity.

It doesn't take only money, but actual skill and creativity. Unity is barely above rpg maker, and game made with it constantly have problems.

Unwanted

Janise

Unwanted

Starcraft, warcraft were some of the best rts games of their time in terms of production values. They also ran amazing, and to this day are still played by millions.
Instead we get barely literate people who pretend to be software developers using unity to constantly churn out poorly optimized shit.

You are literally a dumbfuck.
You should have commended WOW for production values :lol:

QZAE2ok.png

WFD78S2.png

rr8pvwo.png

to0u2Hy.jpg

Kem0sabe

Arcane

You are literally a dumbfuck.
You should have commended WOW for production values :lol:

QZAE2ok.png

WFD78S2.png

rr8pvwo.png

to0u2Hy.jpg

You truly are retarded, compare that with the shit released in those years, in terms of production values, ingame effort to tell stories along with gameplay, the innovative focus on multiplayer... blizzard has been raising the bar in terms of RTS for a long time, Warcraft 3 redefined the genre by itself.

Also Infinitron mind elucidating me on what magnificent unity rpg's were launched in a better state than Underrail? PoE still runs like shit on a lot of modern machines.

Unwanted

Janise

Unwanted
Reiteration for ADD ridden faggots - There is a reason, Blizcuck, why their shit runs on toasters. Its low poly ps1 textured garbage. They are the best around at selling vomit to Intel GPU running cancerous casuals like you.
I dont even fucking know why you are fixating on RTS, a fucking 30 years old one!
Underrail called, it wants 1997 back! Any, Any RPG is better than that broken mess.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If you have to go off-topic in this thread, it'd be appreciated if you followed the normal convention of arguing merits and faults of Pillar of Eternity instead some random games no one's ever heard about.

/mod

I ASK INANE QUESTIONS

ITZ NEVER STOPS COOOMING
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Guy says he has fps drop issues. Goes on to show something vague about CPU bound DrawIndexed calls, giving no indication if it actually is the source of the load.

Then switches to arguing for a GPU bottleneck reduction via LODS...

Blizzard...

First, if you actually bothered reading his posts, you'd actually see that he didn't only explain how it all works, but also suggested an alternative.
Second, LODs are industry standard. Not having LODs is hilarious.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
First, if you had any brianz to discuss this with me, I would. But alas.

Hey new fag! You're trying too hard...
Remember!
"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long"

You just honored us with you presence and we would hate to part your company so soon.

Weasel
Just saw this linked on their forums... ITZ HAPPENING AGAIN

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/washington/wawdce/2:2017cv00327/242820
Harmony Gold U.S.A., Inc. v Harebrained Schemes LLC et al
Plaintiff: Harmony Gold U.S.A., Inc.
Defendant: Harebrained Schemes LLC, Harebrained Holdings, Inc., Jordan Weisman, Piranha Games, Inc. and Does 1-10
Case Number: 2:2017cv00327
Filed: March 1, 2017
Court: Washington Western District Court
Office: Seattle Office
County: King
Presiding Judge: Thomas S. Zilly
Nature of Suit: Copyrights

People are saying nothing has/will come of it, guess we'll see. It also remains to be seen whether Ryan Morrison is involved.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom