Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
And you can't not do it since you just don't get enough equipment from dungeons or quests - you get very little, and it becomes obsolete very fast.

This. Starts to bother me. Loot is randomized to the point of being ridiculous. I've just won the fights in the Driftwood arena, became the Champion and all I got was some consumables, a hillariously crappy sword and a "Key to the One". I hope at least the key will prove useful.

In Driftwood I still have some basic bitch armors on some of my characters. Never could afford any significant upgrade, always some other priorities.

I just noticed there are defense skills.

Holy shit, are they useless. :lol:

Yeah, Perserverance is so bad it's entertaining. But Leadership? Dunno. It was good in DOS1 and it seems okay here. I got Leadership 6 on one of my chars and I definitely see mobs missing now and then.

KateMicucci

Arcane
Yeah you'd have to be an idiot to put points into Perseverance.

Leadership gave better bonuses in early access.

The reason you aren't dodging anything is because you don't have any dodge stats. My Beast now has 40% dodge at level 10.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Leadership suits well for Summoner since you don't need anything else. I also pump it up.

Dodge, you need high level equipment to stack enough.

Malpercio

Arcane
Divinity equipment management 101

lgIWd5f.png

Or loot system. Or arms race. Call it whatever you like, but it's worst part of the game.

Shit is completely meaningless, but you can't survive without it since armor is your life, or big part of it. Hit new level - go shopping. The higher the level, the worse it gets: get new sword - see damage jump from 100-200 to 200-300, because of whole scaling system behind the hood. Repeat for 4 characters. That's what developers want you to do, since that's what is effective. Actually had some level 10 or 11 stuff on level 15 characters. Enemies won't forgive you for that - they always have max hp and seem have best armor appropriate for their level.

And you can't not do it since you just don't get enough equipment from dungeons or quests - you get very little, and it becomes obsolete very fast.

Yeah, to add to this, you can't steal multiple times anymore.

Honestly, the armor system ruined the game for me. I'm thinking of putting it on hold and wait for a balance patch or something.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Game is pretty good. I love the amount of interactions, and that there's a story behind most combat encounters instead of just throwing trash mobs in my face to grind gear and XP. Game clearly has a lot of replayability.

About trash mobs, I don't think I'll be able to go back to PoE or Tyranny after playing this (or maybe just for the pixels and sound, avoiding combats as much as possible...).

Ever noticed how no matter the encounter, the second attacker is always the enemy? Not matter how many Wits you have on everyone, all battles will be like that. Initiative is broken and useless. So like if you have 15 wits on two characters and the enemy you fight has 14 wits, he will be the second to act anyway, despite both your characters having more Wits.

Yes. I noticed too.

There are many things to improve on the long run anyway : not only with combats but the companions interactions are not contrasted enough. They mostly stand on the neutral/lawfull good side of things and the only who could add some chaotic/evil points of view (Fane maybe) stays strangely mute. This was obvious during the souljar episode.

I don't see that many moments where roleplaying an asshole might be rewarding.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
You can remove armor entirely if that's the only thing that is stopping you from liking it.

Vibalist

Arcane
the way initiative works is pretty dumb, forcing you to take Wits only on one character for the sake of initiative.
What are you talking about?

Ever noticed how no matter the encounter, the second attacker is always the enemy? Not matter how many Wits you have on everyone, all battles will be like that. Initiative is broken and useless. So like if you have 15 wits on two characters and the enemy you fight has 14 wits, he will be the second to act anyway, despite both your characters having more Wits.

That sure sucks, but it doesn't exactly make wits/initiative useless, as there's still a huge difference between your character being the third to act and your character being dead last to act.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Rewritten as full review: https://www.pcgamesn.com/divinity-original-sin-2/divinity-original-sin-2-review

Divinity: Original Sin 2 is a great RPG... and the best strategy game since XCOM

Hi. My name’s Jeremy, and I can’t stop unsheathing my weapon in public.

Listen: I can explain.

By pressing the tab key in Divinity: Original Sin 2, you command your character to pull out their blade and brandish it menacingly, allowing it to rest in their palm for a few seconds. That’s what I’ve been doing, about once every 30 minutes, since starting the game.

The practical applications of this little animation flourish are limited. It can make screenshots look more dynamic, if you’re so inclined. Or it can be used to test the limits of Larian’s simulation. Certainly, every time I take out my sword - usually in an inappropriate place, like a crowded camp or at the foot of a shrine to a dead god - the AI around me tend to react in horror, shouting warnings and ultimatums. Understandably. Who does that?

Well, me. But it’s an accident, your honour - a crime of muscle memory, if anything. The tab key means something else in Tyranny and Torment: Tides of Numenera, you see. In those games, it’s the button you press to see which objects around you can be rifled for treasure. And Divinity is intrinsically linked to Tyranny and Torment in some part of my brain beyond conscious reasoning.

divinity%20original%20sin%202%20story.png

That’s because, while Divinity: Original Sin launched into a world where the isometric RPG was newly revived, its sequel now forms part of a growing genre. It’s hard to view it apart from that context; hard not to notice where the series has begun to fall behind its peers, and where it strides boldly ahead.

In the solo (and, optionally, co-op) campaign that will be most players’ first port of call, the strengths are much the same as they were the first time around. Larian have wisely leaned on the elemental combat that powered Divinity: Original Sin - the same system that turned every battle into a bubbling broth of status effects. Fire arrows still ignite poison gas, rain spells extinguish flames, and electrical jolts turn steam into lightning clouds. The path to victory usually lies in catalysing an explosive reaction or three, and then making sure your opponents don’t get a chance to recover. It can be tough, since even the lowliest guard can take a fireball to the face and keep slugging. But finally felling your enemies, through wit and persistence, feels fantastic.

The genius lies in the way Larian’s meticulous simulation trickles out of the combat and into the game world at large. Where many turn-based RPGs tend to separate out roleplaying and conflict - church and state - in Divinity, one bleeds into the other. It’s not only that one character in your party can be having a chat while another flings fireballs in the next room. It’s that, when you wander past an open fire, the ‘warm’ effect is attributed to you for a few seconds. Or, if you cast the same teleportation spell that allows you to drop enemies into burning oil slicks, you might throw a companion over a ravine into an otherwise inaccessible area.

divinity%20original%20sin%202%20red%20prince.png

Combat is yours to start whenever and with whomever you see fit. And while traditionally that’s the sort of thing you did in RPGs only before a reload, Divinity can accommodate murder without consequence, so long as nobody’s within earshot or subsequently finds the body. Yep: NPCs have line-of-sight, which feeds into the game’s functional stealth system as well. Where triple-A RPGs tend to streamline towards the things you’re most likely to want to do - chat, kill, loot, repeat - Larian are committed to ensuring that all your sandbox whims are catered to.

One of Divinity: Original Sin 2’s most compelling new roleplaying options, however, comes straight from the triple-A space. RPGs there have found an awful lot of success in named protagonists - your Geralts and Shepards, defined to a degree but malleable enough to steer this way or that. And while Divinity: Original Sin 2 allows you to build a personality from the ground up, as you might have done in its predecessor, it now also lets you embody one of its companion characters instead.

This is, I’ve come to believe, the masterstroke of the campaign. I’ve been storming around the place as the Red Prince, a former lizard prince-general who’s been kicked out of his own empire for cavorting with demons. Basically Max Mosley with scales. Picking him immediately warps my dialogue options according to a number of factors, which the game flags up explicitly as ‘tags’ - the fact that I’m a huge, frightening lizard; my rarified attitudes as a noble; the particular yearnings of the Prince towards revenge and redemption. It’s rare that I’m not given the opportunity to be haughty or demanding in conversation - to lean into one side of the Prince’s personality or another, and find some personal investment within the framework I’ve chosen.

divinity%20original%20sin%202%20campaign.png

All of this gently encourages actual roleplaying, and is supported by an unusually robust relationship between quests and simulation. In your Divinity 2 playthrough, for instance, a former slave to the lizard empire named Sebille might be your protagonist, or a valued companion. In mine, she’s face down in an electrified puddle of her own blood. The campaign is sometimes astonishing in its ability to course-correct, and I’ve never run into a bug or disappointment when cutting a quest - or a life - short. But that’s not to say I haven’t encountered difficulties.

You should know that Divinity: Original Sin 2 will happily abandon a lovingly-written quest if you happen to snip one of its threads. On one level that’s admirable, and one of the key tenets of its sandbox. On another, it’s a bit frightening. At an early juncture I became stuck, only discovering through reference to a walkthrough that I’d unknowingly blocked two of three ways to progress - and entirely missed the third. I walked that last remaining questline very carefully indeed, as if it were a tightrope above a game-breaking abyss.

In similar fashion, combat can make progress teeth-grindingly tough. Play as one companion character, kill off another, perhaps rebuff a third for roleplaying reasons - suddenly you’re looking at an underpowered party in a campaign that can quickly get gruelling. The punishment is leavened to an extent in Explorer Mode, which buffs your friends and weakens your enemies, but only so far. It’s frustrating when Larian’s peers have established a new frictionless standard in this area - Story Time in Obsidian’s games, and Story Mode in Icewind Dale’s Enhanced Edition - that makes the genre truly accessible to those without the patience for micromanagement. Divinity 2 could stand to be that friendly.

divinity%20original%20sin%202%20combat.png

Outside the campaign, though, Larian take the lead rather than lag behind. Competitive multiplayer could so easily have been an afterthought, but it turns out to be the best bit of the game - easily good enough to release as a standalone effort, if the studio had so desired.

Refitting the mechanics of a single-player campaign for satisfying online fisticuffs has proven too tricky a task for many RPG developers. Even the mighty Blizzard struggled for years to make Diablo III work as a competitive prospect. But, seemingly effortlessly, Divinity becomes a turn-based battler to match XCOM, Chaos Reborn, or the venerable Blood Bowl. Parties face off across arenas strewn with debris that make the most of the game’s systems - acid barrels, braziers, and fresh corpses stuffed with game-winning source magic.

In this new context, stealth and line-of-sight become primary concerns; ladders become choke points, loot chests the scene of backstab ambushes. In their intimacy and verticality, the maps are reminiscent of some of the smaller-scale Warhammer skirmish games - more Mordheim even than Mordheim: City of the Damned. In my experience, matches have been reliably tight and eventful, and often the perfect showcase for Divinity’s table-turning spell effects.

It’s my fervent hope that the elegant design on show here isn’t buried beneath discussion of the campaign, as XCOM’s multiplayer has been. It’s rare for a classic RPG to attempt full-fledged competitive adaptation. To do such a good job of it is frankly unheard of.

divinity%20original%20sin%202%20game%20master.png

Perhaps bravest of all is Divinity 2’s Game Master mode - a powerful tool kit and asymmetrical multiplayer game that captures much of what tends to get left on the tabletop when D&D is synthesised for the PC. One player takes on the role of the Game Master, hosting a few others as they meander through an adventure - either one of Larian’s out-of-the-box modules, or a story they’ve conceived themselves.

Similar attempts have been made at this before. Neverwinter Nights, which Original Sin 2 so closely resembles in places, got halfway there in 2002. Sword Coast Legends gave it a shot only two years ago. But Larian’s Game Master mode outstrips its peers by dint of humility: it’s not overly attached to its own mechanics.

Sure, you’ve got that excellent combat engine to lean on if you fancy. But you could just as easily roll the dice to decide the outcome of an encounter - basing the maths on your favourite pen-and-paper ruleset, or simply making it up as you go. One of your adventurers with the Pet Pal talent wants to intimidate a dog? Sounds like a D20 job: let’s say they need an eight or higher to succeed, and away we go. The tale continues unabated.

Divinity%20Original%20Sin%202%20Game%20Master%20Dice%20Rolls.jpg

Larian’s support for this kind of ad hoc adventuring extends to every aspect of the mode. If the highly specific or outlandish dialogue choice you’ve got in mind isn’t supported by the module you’re playing, well, the Game Master can simply type it into the box there and then.

The array of options might sound daunting, but here’s the important thing: you can take as much or as little of Divinity’s systemic framework as you want for your own adventures. In fact, I’m of the opinion that it’s at its best when you take very little, using what’s on-screen merely as visual reference and playing mainly in the shared imaginative space that tends to develop among any group having fun together.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 stands as a remarkable example of three genres: the classic roleplaying game, the online arena battler, and the tabletop-style adventure enabler. If its campaign fails to shake off some of Larian’s unfriendlier habits, those flaws are mitigated by the ways in which the studio have shaped a genre moulded by nostalgia into genuinely new forms - changing more than just the keyboard shortcuts for the better.

Verdict: 9/10

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

The worst thing wit Leadership is really the range. 5 meters is fucking useless. At the very least, it should scale with +1 meter per point or something. Right now, a pure Conjurer would have to follow their Incarnate around as if on a leash.

Yeah, initiative is totally useless. Don't waste points. Maybe on your summoning char so you can get cannon fodder early, but otherwise, it's a glorious dump stat.
It's almost a bit depressing how everything that was arguably an issue in D:OS1 is still an issue in D:OS2, but in the completely opposite direction.

Initiative was extremely powerful in D:OS1 => in D:OS2 it's completely useless.
Action Point inflation was an issue in D:OS1 => in D:OS2 action points are so few that it's hard to value actions appropriately and almost straight-jackets the dynamics.
Effects were sometimes swingy in D:OS1, and it was sometimes hard to know if something would succeed or not => in D:OS2 it's completely binary and utterly predictable.
Plebs had issues understanding simple stats in D:OS1 =>in D:OS2 the stats are so simplified, uninteresting and homogenized that they might as well not exist.

It's massive over-compensation for things that weren't even really that major issues. The problem is that with the game being such an overwhelming success, they might not be seeing that clearly at all, and become impervious to reasonable criticism.

Seethe

Arbiter

The worst thing wit Leadership is really the range. 5 meters is fucking useless. At the very least, it should scale with +1 meter per point or something. Right now, a pure Conjurer would have to follow their Incarnate around as if on a leash.

Yeah, initiative is totally useless. Don't waste points. Maybe on your summoning char so you can get cannon fodder early, but otherwise, it's a glorious dump stat.
It's almost a bit depressing how everything that was arguably an issue in D:OS1 is still an issue in D:OS2, but in the completely opposite direction.

Action Point inflation was an issue in D:OS1 => in D:OS2 action points are so few that it's hard to value actions appropriately and almost straight-jackets the dynamics.
Effects were sometimes swingy in D:OS1, and it was sometimes hard to know if something would succeed or not => in D:OS2 it's completely binary and utterly predictable.
Plebs had issues understanding simple stats in D:OS1 =>in D:OS2 the stats are so simplified, uninteresting and homogenized that they might as well not exist.

It's massive over-compensation for things that weren't even really that major issues. The problem is that with the game being such an overwhelming success, they might not be seeing that clearly at all, and become impervious to reasonable criticism.

Regarding the action point issue, you are correct. Rage is useless right now. I have 50% crit chance, why would I waste 2 action points on rage and attack once, when I could attack twice with 50% crit chance.

Mojobeard

Augur
Initiative should be the same as it's been in PnP RPGs for decades. You have your initiative stat, and you add that to a die roll. Someone with an extremely high Wits would still go first or second, and the one with the lowest might still not be dead last every battle.

I'm sure it's savescum exploitable, but what isn't.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Initiative should be the same as it's been in PnP RPGs for decades. You have your initiative stat, and you add that to a die roll. Someone with an extremely high Wits would still go first or second, and the one with the lowest might still not be dead last every battle.

With really, really high initiative scores, I think you should even be allowed to go twice, if you've got an initiative score that is over twice that of the slowest in the turn order. It's hard to keep track of in a PnP (and most PnP:s don't use it), but it's a very small thing to fix in a game. But either way, yeah, the way initiative works now is clearly fucking useless.

Regarding the action point issue, you are correct. Rage is useless right now. I have 50% crit chance, why would I waste 2 action points on rage and attack once, when I could attack twice with 50% crit chance.
I'm correct in all of them, wtf you talkin' about? :cool:

But no, yeah, seriously, the way you accrued action points in D:OS1 was bad because it eventually trumped everything else, but it wasn't so bad that the system should've been boiled down to.. this, whatever this is. I haven't played around with Rage, but I know that it used to cost 1 AP and last for two turns at some point in Early Access - it probably got nerfed, going by what you're saying, without any consideration for how that'd work in practice. I think such changes or the potential for change illustrates the issue rather handidly, though; at 1 AP, something is amazing, while at 2 AP, it can be completely fucking useless.
There's no need to add a die roll to everything.
You're objectively wrong. Please vacate the premises and report yourself to the nearest office of homeland security for immediate transfer to your regional internment camp.

Seethe

Arbiter

With really, really high initiative scores, I think you should even be allowed to go twice, if you've got an initiative score that is over twice that of the slowest in the turn order. It's hard to keep track of in a PnP (and most PnP:s don't use it), but it's a very small thing to fix in a game. But either way, yeah, the way initiative works now is clearly fucking useless.

I'm correct in all of them, wtf you talkin' about? :cool:

But no, yeah, seriously, the way you accrued action points in D:OS1 was bad because it eventually trumped everything else, but it wasn't so bad that the system should've been boiled down to.. this, whatever this is. I haven't played around with Rage, but I know that it used to cost 1 AP and last for two turns at some point in Early Access - it probably got nerfed, going by what you're saying, without any consideration for how that'd work in practice. I think such changes or the potential for change illustrates the issue rather handidly, though; at 1 AP, something is amazing, while at 2 AP, it can be completely fucking useless.

Well, now it costs 2 AP and it lasts only 1 turn. Really sad.

Raapys

Arcane
Is 'Rage' different from 'Enrage'? Because Enrage lasts through your next turn as well, so if it's the first thing you cast you can usually get 3-7 attacks from it depending on your AP.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
You know things are fucked when someone fucking rages for a single round. That's rather pathetic, no matter what the skill costs or what effects it has.

Seethe

Arbiter
Is 'Rage' different from 'Enrage'? Because Enrage lasts through your next turn as well, so if it's the first thing you cast you can usually get 3-7 attacks from it depending on your AP.

Only if I don't do any actions for a whole turn, though. I guess it's a good situational buff for rangers, when you really need to take someone down and you can't reach him.

Raapys

Arcane
Only if I don't do any actions for a whole turn, though. I guess it's a good situational buff for rangers, when you really need to take someone down and you can't reach him.
Maybe we're just in different situations. I play solo lone wolf with 6 AP a turn, usually surrounded by a couple of melee enemies. Cast enrage, attack/crit twice, end turn, enemy turn, start my turn, attack/crit thrice, enrage ends. Can even throw in flesh sacrifice somewhere and use the extra AP on a phoenix dive to jump to another enemy some distance off.

Not saying it's a great skill, but if you've stacked a lot of crit multiplier and don't have the equipment to do high crit chance, it's probably worth it in terms of total damage output.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
So, basically they've put the speed and perception attributes from OS together to make place in order to include memory in the attributes. But what was the requirement for more skill slots in OS, more intelligence ?

No amelioration here, more like a fake good idea.

Mojobeard

Augur
Simple question: one-handed, two-handed, or dual-wield?

I recall being put off by the higher AP cost of two-handers in the prior game, is that still an issue?
All basic attacks use 2 AP. Dual-wield is the DPS option. Sword and board gets a noticeable defense bonus and Captain America attacks. Two-handed doesn't seem that strong compared to these two?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You generally have a thing about LOS in games it seems to me.

I actually do, because there's little that pisses me off more than setting a (seemingly) perfect plan into motion and then finding out in the middle of it (once characters have acted) that the next vital step is blocked by some fucking pixel, which I had no way to check beforehand to make sure whether my target was obstructed or not. Jagged Alliance 2 had LoS inspection in fucking 1999. Meanwhile it's $CURRENT_YEAR$ and the only other fucking game with the same thing, despite the slew of "tactical rpg" shovelware popping up left and right, is BLACKGUARDS 2.

FFS

Shit, don't play the nuXcom games, they will give you an aneurysm.

KateMicucci

Arcane
So, basically they've put the speed and perception attributes from OS together to make place in order to include memory in the attributes. But what was the requirement for more skill slots in OS, more intelligence ?

No amelioration here, more like a fake good idea.
In DOS1 the number of skills you could use was based on the number of points you had invested in the relevant school. It wasn't a very good system for various reasons. A stat for memory is better.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Shit, don't play the nuXcom games, they will give you an aneurysm.

I played the first one. It did.

And speaking of aneurysms:

I was about to bust in here and ask if anyone else was experiencing this perplexing fucking shit where enemies from the bottom of the queue suddenly jump to the top in front of your characters that have super high initiative and who used to act way before them, and holy fucking god damn this shit suddenly all the fucking pieces of the puzzles fall into place.

So the initiative system is hard-coded to always arrange the queue in a you / them / you / them / you / them series, with it being impossible to have 2 allies act one after another if the combatant numbers on both sides are equal.

HOW

IS

THAT

NOT

FUCKING

RETARDED

????????????????????

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom