Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

ArchAngel

Arcane
Fuck my build is dying too much on white maps :(
4300 life + 1400 mana (mom), 15% block chance and basalt up, 3 end charges and I get destroyed by any pack that does good phy damage (especially ranged groups).

First time I do a channeling build and I am not enyoing it. How do scorching ray builds survive this, they got less aoe than my LT.

Maybe I should replace the basalt with a stibnite..

Funniest part is that I rarely die in map boss fights but any ranged pack with rare with bonus phy damage aura kills me before I can react :(

Last edited:

Zdzisiu

Arcane
4300 life + 1400 mana (mom), 15% block chance and basalt up, 3 end charges and I get destroyed by any pack that does good phy damage (especially ranged groups).

First time I do a channeling build and I am not enyoing it. How do scorching ray builds survive this, they got less aoe than my LT.

Funniest part is that I rarely die in map boss fights but any ranged pack with rare with bonus phy damage aura kills me before I can react :(
Capped resistances? How much armour? Roll a granite flask of iron skin for a boost of armour.

Try CWDT + Immortal Call

ArchAngel

Arcane
If you're mostly having issues with packs and not bosses, get a granite.
I will try that.

Try CWDT + Immortal Call
I did, it just made it so I never have Endurance charges up :D

Balor

Arcane
I wanna build a necro like that, was she effective at maps? Or corpse spells were good at higher levels?
The build was doing great in T10, and I expect it to work for T15 aswell. I was using a 3.5L for DD up until an hour before I ripped. Switching over to a 5L didn't really do anything and I regret switching because it lowered my singletarget DPS by only having Cremation in a 3L after the switch.
Short "guide":

-Detonate Dead+Ele Focus+Spell Echo for clearing.

Why Detonate dead instead of Volatile Dead? Volatile dead does a bit less damage, right, but it spawns homing balls that can offscreen (and hunt mobile critters/bosses nicely) and it uses up 3 corpses per cast w/o 'less' penalty of Spell Cascade.
Am I missing something?

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Detonate Dead lv20: 823-1235+6% of mobhealth health in a single explosion.
Volatile Dead lv20: 535-802 damage that is a homing missile, x3, and 3% of mob-health as an explosion when you create the orb.

DD deals significantly more damage per cast than VD does. Mobs in maps have about 20k health in a T1 map, scaling exponentially once you get into higher tiers. Even in a T1 that is 1.2k basedamage added that scales with everything except spelldamage, and this base-damage increase is not nearly as significant in a VD build. VD usually hits with the orb, not the explosion, whereas DD always hits with the explosion. In a VD build you need to scale the orb-damage when trying higher maps, a DD build already scales because mobs get more health, thus you deal more damage.

DD also doesn't need spell cascade, which VD can't really go without, which is another more% gem instead of a less% one. Everyone I've seen that tried DD used it with spellcascade and eventually switched over to VD because it felt lackluster. I also tried it, thought the same, but instead of switching to VD I'm just playing it without cascade and the build is so much better without it.

Gerrard

Arcane
I have a genuinely hard time figuring out how to make a proper build. The guides available aren't all that helpful either.
Call me a goddamn casul but at least in Grim Dawn or D3 you can't fuck up your character by making suboptimal choices.
anik9Y7.png

Balor

Arcane
Does not really apply to chaos inoculated chars, tho :)

DD deals significantly more damage per cast than VD does. Mobs in maps have about 20k health in a T1 map, scaling exponentially once you get into higher tiers. Even in a T1 that is 1.2k basedamage added that scales with everything except spelldamage, and this base-damage increase is not nearly as significant in a VD build. VD usually hits with the orb, not the explosion, whereas DD always hits with the explosion. In a VD build you need to scale the orb-damage when trying higher maps, a DD build already scales because mobs get more health, thus you deal more damage.

Oh, I see. Basically, you are relying much more on explosion secondary damage, it allows you to 'get ahead of the game' in high-tier maps.
Have you thought about adding Vaal Detonate dead for bosses, or cremation is much better than that? I has even more percent base damage, and I wonder if you can carefully time desecrations to 'add corpses' to chain reaction as it continues, since you can get whooping 15 corpses per cast now? Sounds a bit too good to be true, tho. Definitely worth a try once I'll find one.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Detonate Dead lv20: 823-1235+6% of mobhealth health in a single explosion.
Volatile Dead lv20: 535-802 damage that is a homing missile, x3, and 3% of mob-health as an explosion when you create the orb.

DD also doesn't need spell cascade, which VD can't really go without, which is another more% gem instead of a less% one. Everyone I've seen that tried DD used it with spellcascade and eventually switched over to VD because it felt lackluster. I also tried it, thought the same, but instead of switching to VD I'm just playing it without cascade and the build is so much better without it.
So what are your DD supports?

Reinhardt

Arcane
Burned index and middle fingers on right hand today. It's imposible to stand and press rmb for sunder now. :negative:

canakin

Cipher
About to hit level 90, why do you people play anything but sunder lol, only con of the sunder is mediocre single target dps but I can live without one hitting t10+ bosses.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Have you thought about adding Vaal Detonate dead for bosses, or cremation is much better than that? I has even more percent base damage, and I wonder if you can carefully time desecrations to 'add corpses' to chain reaction as it continues, since you can get whooping 15 corpses per cast now? Sounds a bit too good to be true, tho. Definitely worth a try once I'll find one.
I have, and its pretty shitty for bosses. Due to the new corpse limit you just don't get enough explosions, and you're out dry after you use it and have to recast desecrate before being able to spam DD some more. Since the corpses explode in such a quick succession, its almost impossible to enhance the Vaal DD with another desecrate without it stopping completely. It also has way less base-damage than a regular DD and only 2% more corpse-scaling so an explosion actually deals less damage than a normal DD.

It is pretty good for abysses/breach since they spawn a shitload of corpses in a large area. I'll give Vaal DD another shot once its lvl 20 and 4link it, maybe it's better for singletarget then, but so far it's actually nothing but a DD that gets rid of corpses more quickly but does pretty much the same damage. And with DD having such an insane base-cast time (0.6s, even less than freezepulse/spark) it's not really necessary, I invested nothing in cast-speed and still got 4casts per second.
Right now it's in a 3L Nyctas Lantern with Spell Echo and Ele Focus. Nyctas gives it a free lv10 firepen and some additional Firedamage, so it's basically a 4 Link. The +2 Firegems is nice for the increase to basedamage, but more importantly it makes the gem level 20+ already where DD gets an additional +1 radius.
A 6L would probably be Spell Echo, Firepen, Elemental Focus, Chance to Ignite and Conc Effect/Empower.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Right now it's in a 3L Nyctas Lantern with Spell Echo and Ele Focus. Nyctas gives it a free lv10 firepen and some additional Firedamage, so it's basically a 4 Link. The +2 Firegems is nice for the increase to basedamage, but more importantly it makes the gem level 20+ already where DD gets an additional +1 radius.
A 6L would probably be Spell Echo, Firepen, Elemental Focus, Chance to Ignite and Conc Effect/Empower.
I madeplanned a crit version of DD character, Scion. PoB: https://pastebin.com/9p4234Sd
Care to share your thoughts?

I was thinking spell cascade for map clearing and switch gem for conc effect for boss fights.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Waste Pool boss just dropped a Belly for me and my mind went "nice, 35ish c or prob more this league actually." Went to poe.trade and it's 90c. The fuck is up with that? Abyssal jewels or BF spam?

Hyperion

Arcane
Ever since the Energy Shield nerf, the pendulum swung way back in the other direction with the lemmings saying it's flat out dead because it's no longer superior to life in all cases. Life pool stacking is, however, the meta and Belly is the second best chest in the game for that. The best if you don't have a 6L available elsewhere.

T. Reich

Arcane
Cyberarmy

This league's economy is exactly the same as in the last league - e bunch of as of yet-unidentified price-fixers are hard at work making money off the exalted market.
Last league, ex:c ratio in SC stayed around 25-35:1 for three weeks straight, then one night -BOOM- it went to 60, then within a week it was 80:1.
This league the ratio was approx 30-35:1 for the first week, but now it's also climbing fast, soon to hit 70:1.
My guess is that more people realised what's at work here and also contributed to this bubble, making the crash happen earlier.
Anyways, I've been hard at work converting my chaos to exalts during the first week, because for me it was obvious that the fix was in once again. Too bad they couldn't hold the prices down for another week - I'd have been so much more wealthier then.:dealwithit:

Grunker
Belly cost approx 1.5ex (depending on the life roll) since when ES got the boot, and the lemmings moved on to making life builds.
Currently, the only one socketable armor giving about as much life as a well-rolled belly is a rare str-base body that rolled 100+ life roll, and a 30+ life hybrid roll, and then 40+ str for another 20+ life coming from it. That's 150+ flat life from a chest - only then will it be anything close to a belly.
Let's just say that the supply of such armours is rather limited compared to the supply of the belly.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Ever since the Energy Shield nerf, the pendulum swung way back in the other direction with the lemmings saying it's flat out dead because it's no longer superior to life in all cases. Life pool stacking is, however, the meta and Belly is the second best chest in the game for that. The best if you don't have a 6L available elsewhere.

This was the case last league as well. Still around 35 to maybe 50c max.

Belly cost approx 1.5ex (depending on the life roll) since when ES got the boot, and the lemmings moved on to making life builds.
Currently, the only one socketable armor giving about as much life as a well-rolled belly is a rare str-base body that rolled 100+ life roll, and a 30+ life hybrid roll, and then 40+ str for another 20+ life coming from it. That's 150+ flat life from a chest - only then will it be anything close to a belly.
Let's just say that the supply of such armours is rather limited compared to the supply of the belly.

I both found and bought one last league for around 35c. Certainly it rarely if ever reached 90-100 for one that wasn't even five-linked.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Keep in mind that the price of a belly is also quite dependant on the roll. A 39-40% belly is going to be more than two or even three times as expensive as a 30-33% one. Same goes for certain other uniques, e.g. Kaoms Roots. GL getting a 190+ roll for less than 3ex on AHC.

With the nerfs to VP a lot of build also require a heavier investment into EHP compared to 3.0, so that further exacerbates the issue.

On a totally unrelated note, I fucking hate Legacy of Zeal. Got sniped by a menstrual artillery bird that had like 8 or 9 charges because he was hiding off-screen. Oneshot me through 75/75 block, 5.5k HP and 3k Mana. RIP.

Apparently elder-spawned monsters with legacy of zeal get so much damage mitigation that they become impossible to kill. They actually regen their energyshield even though they have a DoT on them.

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom