Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BattleTech Pre-Release Thread

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
e83b9e64036f32bb3a5e6f23cc1e15640446466f8051bdd7507a2ed4c782ac06u18138.jpg

PorkBarrellGuy

Shitmech. A no-JJ light with the movement profile of a medium, with nowhere near enough ammo to feed those SRMs for a lengthy mission. Commandos are shitmechs. I would actually take the Locust over the Commando because at least the Locust has a good movement profile.

I'm assuming they're going to have the Jenner, which is all anyone ever needs in a light 'mech. Jenner is an absolutely stellar light and is one of the reasons House Kurita/DCMS is a force to be reckoned with in the Inner Sphere.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jason Liang

Arcane
Shitmech. A no-JJ light with the movement profile of a medium, with nowhere near enough ammo to feed those SRMs for a lengthy mission. Commandos are shitmechs. I would actually take the Locust over the Commando because at least the Locust has a good movement profile.

I'm assuming they're going to have the Jenner, which is all anyone ever needs in a light 'mech. Jenner is an absolutely stellar light and is one of the reasons House Kurita/DCMS is a force to be reckoned with in the Inner Sphere.

Jenner_%28JR7-K%29_CCG_Counterstrike.jpg

Jenner_IIC_CCG_MechWarrior.jpg

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
Anyone has probably noticed that the mechs overheat much faster than in tabletop, but this guy analyzed exactly how much - apart from tweaking the values, there is a global constant that increases all heat generated by 50%.

Should not be too much trouble to just open the JSON file and change the value to something more sensible.

Cael

Arcane

The Commando is a 25-ton 'mech with the ground movement profile of most light 'mechs (6/9) but no jump jets and the armour of a 20-tonner (4 tons, same as the Locust). Its role is the "heavy" element in a scout lance, the one with the heavy firepower that can help extricate its fellows if things went sideways. It only has to keep up with its compatriots and no more.

Comparing it with the Jenner is of course going to reflect negatively on the Commando, considering the Jenner is 10 tons its senior (at 35-tons), but it is not all one-sided. The Jenner itself is even more of a glass cannon, a 35-ton 'mech with the same armour as a Locust. Sure, it is fast and has good weapons, but it is completely crippled by the fact it only has 10 heat sinks. Running and firing 3 medium lasers (damage potential 15), and you are already building up heat. Using jump jets and you are in deep doo-doo heat-wise. In comparison, a Commando would fire all of its weapons and run and only produce one extra heat over the Jenner, but with a damage potential of 25 (averaging about 19; even one point extra damage and you are forcing a Piloting roll to avoid falling down).

It is also worth noting that the Commando has more payload capacity than the Jenner (8 tons vs 7 tons).

In many ways, the Javelin is superior to the Jenner, especially the Fire Javelin version. 6/9/6 movement profile, 4 medium lasers, 14 heat sinks, similar armour. You can run and gun with this thing all day long with no heat problems.

PorkBarrellGuy

UrbanMech4Life
Urbie is actually a better mech than people give it credit for. Going by BV it's actually a fantastic mech in the right environment, particularly because the AC10 is actually a really solid weapon (you can quite literally decapitate a lot of mechs with it on a lucky roll). You don't want to put it in open field line battles or anything, obviously, but as long as you have enough time to get them into position in the right places you can harry the hell out of much heavier mechs on the cheap.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
The way mechs are idiotically rated in regards of mass, the conclusion of any literate person would be that they're made from this material:

There is not even an official chart with mech heights for fuck's sake but battletech fanbois sure love to think in terms of technical terms and and make elaborate analysis. :)
And if you ask why the barrel of a AC20 (which has a caliber of a maximum of 203 mm) looks on a mech as having twice the caliber, nobody knows.

PorkBarrellGuy

The way mechs are idiotically rated in regards of mass, the conclusion of any literate person would be that they're made from this material:

There is not even an official chart with mech heights for fuck's sake but battletech fanbois sure love to think in terms of technical terms and and make elaborate analysis. :)
And if you ask why the barrel of a AC20 (which has a caliber of a maximum of 203 mm) looks on a mech as having twice the caliber, nobody knows.

yeah let's bitch about muh realism in a game about giant fucking robots with pew-pew lasers which are objectively better than tanks and such
:mrfussy:
while we're at it we can bitch about how the way radiation works in Fallout games makes no fucking sense and how magic spells in general are absurd and violate most of the laws of physics in application

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik

yeah let's bitch about muh realism in a game about giant fucking robots with pew-pew lasers which are objectively better than tanks and such
while we're at it we can bitch about how the way radiation works in Fallout games makes no fucking sense and how magic spells in general are absurd and violate most of the laws of physics in application

it seems your butthurt rant clouded your judgement made you fail to comprehend what I was "bitching" about.
try again inept

PorkBarrellGuy

it seems your butthurt rant clouded your judgement made you fail to comprehend what I was "bitching" about.
try again inept

You're bitching about realism and consistency in a scifi setting. I called you a fussy bitch and you're proving me right. I don't know if you've picked up on this yet but what us Battletech fans sperg out about hardest are numbers and numbers aren't subject to the issues you bring up, as they tend to be pretty fucking consistent.

PorkBarrellGuy

The way mechs are idiotically rated in regards of mass
Are we talking from a gameplay perspective or... ?
The tonnage thing is something people constantly bring up and the fact of the matter is that it's just fucking simpler for everyone involved to have simple-if-realistically-implausible weight ratings in 5 point grades. Calculating shit like BV, payloads, engine power and so on is easier this way.

I mean, while he's at it he might as well bitch about weapon ranges and the way sensors and ECM work too, it's not like any of us haven't heard that shit a hundred times before right

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
The tonnage thing is something people constantly bring up and the fact of the matter is that it's just fucking simpler for everyone involved to have simple-if-realistically-implausible weight ratings in 5 point grades. Calculating shit like BV, payloads, engine power and so on is easier this way.

I mean, while he's at it he might as well bitch about weapon ranges and the way sensors and ECM work too, it's not like any of us haven't heard that shit a hundred times before right

And it's not like I haven't heard for a thousand time morons like you who bring up the "LOL. It's a gaem!" argument.
And because it seems I must spell it for you, I was not bitching about realism (even if realism in a game is important if it doesn't have a surreal setting) but fanboy hard-cases that like to talk about Battletech like it has a foothold in reality when it's far from it and like to bring up arguments like weight and other shit when they have no value in the game whatsoever.

while he's at it he might as well bitch about weapon ranges and the way sensors and ECM work too
Anyone that wants to bitch about it of course it has a valid point because it seems these ingame rules were envisioned by morons that don't know the basics of ballistics or did not even bothered to come with an explanation on other fronts for this nonsense.

So get your "simple-if-realistically-implausible weight ratings in 5 point grades" (whatever that means) and shove it up your ass.

PorkBarrellGuy

And it's not like I haven't heard for a thousand time morons like you who bring up the "LOL. It's a gaem!" argument.
And because it seems I must spell it for you, I was not bitching about realism (even if realism in a game is important if it doesn't have a surreal setting) but fanboy hard-cases that like to talk about Battletech like it has a foothold in reality when it's far from it and like to bring up arguments like weight and other shit when they have no value in the game whatsoever.

while he's at it he might as well bitch about weapon ranges and the way sensors and ECM work too
Anyone that wants to bitch about it of course it has a valid point because it seems these ingame rules were envisioned by morons that don't know the basics of ballistics or did not even bothered to come with an explanation on other fronts for this nonsense.

So get your "simple-if-realistically-implausible weight ratings in 5 point grades" (whatever that means) and shove it up your ass.
Man you faggots are getting predictable

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
You're bitching about realism and consistency in a scifi setting

If you would've had at least 2 neurons in that thick skull of yours you would've had known that in a sci-fi setting especially, "realism and consistency" is more important than in other literary genres because these give it plausibility which is primordial in SCIENCE fiction.

Man you faggots are getting predictable

It's bad form for a newfag to use slurs like faggot.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

Oh I definately agree, tonnage is the sort of good compromise you have to make in order to present the tabletop game in an easily understandable and useable manner, along with all the stats derived around tonnage like engine power -> movement values. Only thing where it sort of doesn't work is calculating BV where I think you can't really make BV work out too well with simple calculations due to how many factors contribute to a 'mech's effectiveness, hence why I prefer deciding match unit's with gentleman's agreement based on educated guesses of each side's theoretical effectiveness.

But when it comes to video games, I did mention earlier in this same thread that I believe that a 'mech simulator game can greatly benefit from taking a more complex approach than just tonnage.

PorkBarrellGuy

It's bad form for a newfag to use slurs like faggot.

I see I'm hitting a little close to home. Do you suck dicks, private?

You're more hopeless than I thought if you use "faggot" in relation to sucking dicks and such.
Please post some more, you're the gift that keeps of giving. :)

"slur"

Come the fuck on now.
Oh I definately agree, tonnage is the sort of good compromise you have to make in order to present the tabletop game in an easily understandable and useable manner, along with all the stats derived around tonnage like engine power -> movement values. Only thing where it sort of doesn't work is calculating BV where I think you can't really make BV work out too well with simple calculations due to how many factors contribute to a 'mech's effectiveness, hence why I prefer deciding match unit's with gentleman's agreement based on educated guesses of each side's theoretical effectiveness.

But when it comes to video games, I did mention earlier in this same thread that I believe that a 'mech simulator game can greatly benefit from taking a more complex approach than just tonnage.

It can, yeah, because all the crunch is hidden behind a UI of some sort. TT doesn't quite have that luxury. And yes, there are mechs that punch higher than their tonnage suggests (and lower, looking at you Charger) and BV tends to come up a little short on accounting for that at times.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom