Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Empires: Definitive Edition (AoE1 HD rerelease)

catfood

AGAIN

39:40 all you need to know

Last edited:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Credit where it's due: this looks impressive compared to other old game "remasters". I still think it's a bit obsolete, but might give it a go at solid -60% once it's on steam/gog and patched.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Am I the only one noticing how the "fancy new water" heavily clashes with the rest of the imagery?
Water reflects light like crazy, but nothing else AT ALL.
You can't have extremely selective lighting effects on one part of your screen, while nothing on other parts.

Last edited:

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The ebb and flow effect is much more distracting to me. For whatever reason IT BOTHERS ME IMMENSILY

Also the car doesn't shoot giant explosions, what the shit

Vaarna_Aarne

Ah yea, bigdaddy shot bolts that had the dustcloud from siege weapons, it was bigmama that shot giant explosions.

Lagi

Savant
"Pathfinding is so bad" didn't old rts mean to babysit each unit step with 100 clicks?

just play little more old AoE1:
  • heavy horse archer is faster than light horse archer - guess part of AoE physics :D
  • there is 4 quite poor infantry upgrade (short-broad-long sword, legion) that can not compete with academy hoplite, too much improvement with not enough benefit. There are other interesting concepts of units left without improvements. Especially would be nice to have, improved Slinger (maybe late javelins thrower?), improved Camel rider (why not camel archer?).
  • why the bowman is not obsoleting by better version?
  • Market without land trade units feels incomplete, compare to sea trade boats.
ok, ok I know nobody gives a shit about my safe-zone, all attention for the remake. :lol:

catfood

AGAIN
"Pathfinding is so bad" didn't old rts mean to babysit each unit step with 100 clicks?

You just don't get it man because you're a scrublord. Bad pathfinding is an integral part of the RTS challenge. Nothing screams competitive like having to learn to time mouse clicks in between the right animation frames like an autist and calling that strategy. Weeds out the casuls.

Lagi

Savant
You just don't get it man because you're a scrublord. Bad pathfinding is an integral part of the RTS challenge. Nothing screams competitive like having to learn to time mouse clicks in between the right animation frames like an autist and calling that strategy. Weeds out the casuls.

very in point. I need to frame your post on my wall. After reading Starcraft post i thought i'm the only "casul" on codex.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

very in point. I need to frame your post on my wall. After reading Starcraft post i thought i'm the only "casul" on codex.
You aren't. I favour actual strategies over some weird-ass APM statistics as well.
I mean, come on, when you win/lose a match in SC2, it shows APM to you in big ass numbers as if it was the most important thing (it isn't - you can win with lower APM if you just had a better strategy). That should tell you something about emphasis in that game ;)

hello friend

Arcane
It's definitely not the most important thing, not even remotely. But you can't play SC2 at a high level without a high apm, especially if you play zerg. It's one of the flaws of the game, in my opinion. Rapid robotic muscle memory type shit is a basic foundational skill for competitive play.

Vaarna_Aarne

just play little more old AoE1:
  • heavy horse archer is faster than light horse archer - guess part of AoE physics :D
  • there is 4 quite poor infantry upgrade (short-broad-long sword, legion) that can not compete with academy hoplite, too much improvement with not enough benefit. There are other interesting concepts of units left without improvements. Especially would be nice to have, improved Slinger (maybe late javelins thrower?), improved Camel rider (why not camel archer?).
  • why the bowman is not obsoleting by better version?
  • Market without land trade units feels incomplete, compare to sea trade boats.
ok, ok I know nobody gives a shit about my safe-zone, all attention for the remake. :lol:
My biggest thing I feel is completely missing is having a gate for your walls. So it's back to elaborate double doublewalls for turtling.

Also the Hoplites->Centurions have notable weaknesses, for example they're slow as shit and thus easily kited by archers of various stripes. Another weakness they have is that they are really easy to convert. They're basically the War Elephants of infantry.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
AoE1 was unbalanced as fuck. If you want something balanced, play AoE2, even the most unbalanced of the new DLC civilizations in that game are more balanced than AoE1.

If you play AoE1 just go Assyrians and roflstomp everyone with your ultrafast archers.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

You aren't. I favour actual strategies over some weird-ass APM statistics as well.
I mean, come on, when you win/lose a match in SC2, it shows APM to you in big ass numbers as if it was the most important thing (it isn't - you can win with lower APM if you just had a better strategy). That should tell you something about emphasis in that game ;)
Yeah,strategy is more important than APM,sadly the retarded "pros" are far too dumb to think outside of the box. They only care about resource management and APM,most of them just go direct assault. Haven't seen a single ambush in any SC2 "pro" game. No wonder that the game is dead,while people still play Broodwars and AoE2. Not that they are much better when it comes to strategy but at least they are not that dumb.

hello friend

Arcane
It's been years since I followed that stuff, but I've certainly seen some creative stuff in top level SC2 games. Granted, it's more the exception than the rule, but I remember for example Destiny being a particularly creative player, and I've seen Naniwa do some cool shit.

Lagi

Savant
hmm... demo verision?:M

if anyone cares [probably my in few years from now],: old AoE1 mod's
population 100 plays fine. but not-ending farm, spoils the game.
http://upatch-hd.weebly.com/some-up-mods.html

this mod add land trading:
http://aoe.heavengames.com/dl-php/showfile.php?fileid=2553
idea is nice, but execution rather poor [merchant is artifact grp :/, even not recolored]

this mod add many "missing units" slinger, more camels. Pottery tech is nice.
http://www.moddb.com/games/age-of-empires-rise-of-rome/downloads/indian-era

if you finally win in lottery and dont have to work anymore:
http://upatch-hd.weebly.com/creating-mods.html
adjust every stats till they "perfect" :shittydog:

Lagi

Savant
The fuck?! It is more than 17 gigs....:outrage:
same as nuXcom1!. Its still 2d game. Aoe1 is 370 MB (excluding cd image, including all mod garbage i have in the folder).
And devs was so proud that their Trireme grp is bigger than whole vanilla :hahano:.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The fuck?! It is more than 17 gigs....:outrage:
same as nuXcom1!. Its still 2d game. Aoe1 is 370 MB (excluding cd image, including all mod garbage i have in the folder).
And devs was so proud that their Trireme grp is bigger than whole vanilla :hahano:.
I doubt that many people will go out of their way to buy the game for a inferior OS. It will be dead in a few weeks. Wanted to replay the campaign but not getting that shit win10.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom