Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Whelp, finally finished BG2.

I think my final play time was around the 150 hour mark, possibly a bit less and including any breaks, which probably add up to quite a lot. The final stats were:

172 days and 10 hours of in-game-world time.

Valygar: Exp value 30%, 491 kills
Jahira: Exp value 29%, 433 kills
Me: Exp value 5%, 126 kills
Jan: Exp value 4%, 85 kills
Aeire: Exp value 5%, 70 kills
Mazzy: Exp value 24%, 361 kills

Everyone reached their level cap before the start of act 7.

Favourite items for a character: Valygar with: Celestial Fury (best weapon in the game?), Fortress Shield, or Crom Faeyr for Golems. Before the end of act 3? Probably Jahira's Scimitar +2 of zero speed named Belm, Shield of Harmony +2, Amulet of Power.

Treasures accumulated and saved:

Emeralds: 22
Diamonds: 14
Rogue Stones: 11
King's Tears: 9
Star Sapphires: 9
Water Opals: 5
Laeral's Tear necklaces: 5
Beljuril: 1

All in all it was a fun RPG. During act 3 I was really loving it with only the occasional glimmer of distaste. Most of the areas felt unique and interesting and it was very enjoyable getting to know all the characters and never knowing what the next NPC encounter was going to deliver. Finishing off act 3 by going around and killing loads of lichs and Dragons felt very rewarding and provided a satisfying conclusion to the endless chapter. I started to lose interest as the remaining acts played out as the more traditional Bioware traits started rearing their ugly heads, with loads of copy-paste and more monotonous and repetitive content. It was no surprise that the end of the game wasn't the end of the game and it required me to kill Irenicus twice in order to finish the game. I resented that it made me resent wasting my time on repeats so much.

468px-Sahuagincity.jpg
[*shudder*]

Another reason I started to lose interest was because I discovered that I'm not particularly bothered by the much vaunted high-level mage spell-casting that the game gradually turns into. I saw no great value in pre-preparing any contingencies, triggers or time stops and when the enemy did it it just made combats boring and frustrating as I sat there looking at a dead screen for up to a full minute while the AI went through it's spell-casting motions with nothing to do but twiddle my thumbs. Also, while using magic was invaluable for killing the Chapter 3 dragons, the two later dragons, the silver and black dragon, the game just presented you with unique abilities that you'd never guess what their counter was anyway. I looked up the counter to Wing Buffet and found it was Spell Shield, duly shielded my two mages with the spell and then cast loads of anti-resistance magic and followed it up with magic missiles, but the missiles did nothing, They registered in the battle-log as having been fired, but no further info was provided, neither any hits nor any resisteds. I just moved on. Likewise, no idea what Black Dragon Breath is or how to counter it, looked up some hints and just used summons, something I had completely forgotten about after summons had been completely useless against all previous dragons. I didn't even bother trying the green dragon. Likewise, I defeated Irenicus at the tree by just running around the tree until all his shit wore off, at which point he appeared to have unlimited Magic Missiles, fired off at a machine gun pace. Luckily Jahira was immune to them and by the time she killed him he'd fired off 51 (!) Magic Missiles at her. Sure... that's, like, playing the game right there game... and throughout I noticed an awful lot of enemies which weren't necessarily 'playing by the rules', which reminded me of the prison mage in the original Baldur's Gate who seemed to have unlimited spells casting.

And killing the Slayer? By the time I realised something screwy was going on I had already dealt 369 damage to it and it still said just 'Barely Injured'. Considering it was killing my warriors in two or three hits if I let it, I decided to cheese it, and it still took Mazzy nearly 80 arrows of biting to kill him, with each one doing double figure damage. Either it was regenerating at a phenomenal rate or it had some kind of unique hp level well beyond the remits of the expected D&D rules.

Upon completion I set about loading up Throne of Bhaal. It installed fine, but when I clicked "play throne of Bhaal' in the main menu it asked me to insert the expansion disc: "No disc in drive. Place expansion CD in drive", which it already was, duh, but it refused to read it any further. I have two copies of this disc from different BG disc sets and so tried the other one, same shit. OMG, I had a bug nightmare getting the original BG's expansion to install and play, why would I expect BG2 to be any different! Combined with the continual "NPC appears busy" bug throughout the main campaign, the game lost a lot of points from me in various ways. However, people seem to say that the expansion is just loads of high level mage shenanigans, so maybe its just giving me an opportunity to skip it anyway...?

To be honest, there wasn't much, visually, that I particularly liked about the game. Aside from some unique areas, most backgrounds were fairly generic and unmemorable and the ones that weren't didn't have anything interactive about them, such as most main temples. I noticed in the credits they thanked the Icewind Dale team for all their assistance and assets, and most of the visually interesting content, such as a lot of the varied monsters, were mostly taken from IWD.

I can certainly see the appeal of the game and the areas where it excels are and were, and kind of still are, completely unique to Bioware, such as the companion dynamics and solid mix of NPCs, simple puzzles and healthy combat within a grand plot of self-discovery, but the nuts and bolts, the things I'm mostly interested in, still felt all rather tired and uninspiring.

All in all a great game, but it's still obvious that it's a flawed Bioware game at heart and it's easy to see even here how things never got that good with them as a developer beyond the companion shtick. It's amazing how someone's reputation can live off a single chapter of a single game for decades...

Not sure I'll ever play it again, but well worth the initial run. Having now played all the notorious IE games, except Throne of Bhaal, of course, my ranking would be:

1. Icewind Dale - 95% and very replayable
2. Planescape: Torment - 95% but loses the unique factor upon replay
3. Baldur's Gate 2/Icewind Dale 2/Baldur's Gate Tales of the Sword Coast - 85% loads of good but quite a bit of bad
4. Baldur's Gate/Heart of Winter/Trials of the Luremaster - 70% mostly mediocre but better than most crap on the market

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I looked up the counter to Wing Buffet and found it was Spell Shield

What the hell? Is this correct?

Anyway, after my playthrough of BGT some months ago, my enthusiasm for BG2 waned somewhat. ToB felt like a chore at times.

Codex Year of the Donut
1. Icewind Dale - 95% and very replayable
2. Planescape: Torment - 95% but loses the unique factor upon replay
3. Baldur's Gate 2/Icewind Dale 2/Baldur's Gate Tales of the Sword Coast - 85% loads of good but quite a bit of bad
4. Baldur's Gate/Heart of Winter/Trials of the Luremaster - 70% mostly mediocre but better than most crap on the market

you forgot to rate siege of dragonspear
:happytrollboy:

hell bovine

Arcane
I looked up the counter to Wing Buffet and found it was Spell Shield

What the hell? Is this correct?

Anyway, after my playthrough of BGT some months ago, my enthusiasm for BG2 waned somewhat. ToB felt like a chore at times.
Yes, in original unmodded BG2 spell shield offers "unexpected" protection against wing buffets and beholder rays. Enjoy the bugs. :D

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Not sure I'll ever play it again, but well worth the initial run.

Besides upgrading your shitty party (Jaheria is the only one with any value) the chance to play with SCS makes another go worthwhile.

BG1 has grown on me over the years. Maybe its the mods but I enjoyed it more the last time I played than 20 years ago.

Comte

I replayed BG1 and BG2 a year ago I also enjoyed BG1 more then BG2. Once I got to spellhold I really began to lose interest in BG2. It felt more linear and railroaded from there. I came to find that I enjoy the lower to mid level AD&D adventures. My favorite high level AD&D game remains Dark Queen of Krynn.

Stokowski

Arcane
Whelp, finally finished BG2. [Extensive comments follow ...]

That was a really interesting post and you deserve a better thought out response than this, but I'm in a hurry, so this is off the top of my head:

1. You're "mostly into the nuts & bolts" (of combat? presumably) but didn't enjoy the opportunities in high level magic? Mmmkay. Can maybe twist my head around that, although it's quite a challenge. There's certainly some annoyingly repetitive aspects to high end magic combat, but I thought overall it scaled well enough from start to end of game, in a way that physical combat, with its gear dependent power levels, didn't always achieve.
2. Why assume there is (or ought to be) a direct counter to everything? Isn't it more interesting that there's sometimes only indirect ways to cope with the symptoms of super duper special enemy powers?
3. Killing the Slayer. What? Why would you do that? Did its cheaty difficulty not suggest to you that you're not supposed to try?
4. Weren't impressed by visuals. This is a little harsh but I can see that coming from Icewind Dale, where Black Isle's art department covered themselves in glory, BG2's backdrops, etc, aren't quite of the same standard. The level of artwork, and the breakthrough of getting the Infinity Engine to work with larger monsters, were instances of where Black Isle really achieved great things. (Remember BG1 had no enemies larger than basilisks or wyverns. Icewind Dale made possible the big golems and dragons of BG2.) Still, the overall design of world elements was mostly very good and Athkatla felt a distinctive and properly realised fantasy city, something neither Baldur's Gate (the city of one hundred copy and pasted taverns), nor any version of Neverwinter Nights games, ever achieved. (Torment's Sigil is something out on it's own, as is so much in that title.)
5. Yes, it is annoying to fight the villain over and over. On the other hand, this is David Warner we are talking about, and I could listen to that man's power-mad ravings all day long.
6. Fish City. Yeah. Urgh.
7. Plagued by "NPC appears busy" bug means you played an unpatched version. Why oh why would you do that?

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
That was a really interesting post and you deserve a better thought out response than this, but I'm in a hurry, so this is off the top of my head:

1. You're "mostly into the nuts & bolts" (of combat? presumably) but didn't enjoy the opportunities in high level magic? Mmmkay. Can maybe twist my head around that, although it's quite a challenge. There's certainly some annoyingly repetitive aspects to high end magic combat, but I thought overall it scaled well enough from start to end of game, in a way that physical combat, with its gear dependent power levels, didn't always achieve.
2. Why assume there is (or ought to be) a direct counter to everything? Isn't it more interesting that there's sometimes only indirect ways to cope with the symptoms of super duper special enemy powers?
3. Killing the Slayer. What? Why would you do that? Did its cheaty difficulty not suggest to you that you're not supposed to try?
4. Weren't impressed by visuals. This is a little harsh but I can see that coming from Icewind Dale, where Black Isle's art department covered themselves in glory, BG2's backdrops, etc, aren't quite of the same standard. The level of artwork, and the breakthrough of getting the Infinity Engine to work with larger monsters, were instances of where Black Isle really achieved great things. (Remember BG1 had no enemies larger than basilisks or wyverns. Icewind Dale made possible the big golems and dragons of BG2.) Still, the overall design of world elements was mostly very good amd Athkatla felt a distinctive and properly realised fantasy city, something neither Baldur's Gate, nor any version of Neverwinter Nights games, ever achieved. (Torment's Sigil is something out on it's own, as is so much in that title.)
5. Yes, it is annoying to fight the villain over and over. On the other hand, this is David Warner we are talking about, and I could listen to that man's power-mad ravings all day long.
6. Fish City. Yeah. Urgh.
7. Plagued by "NPC appears busy" bug means you played an unpatched version. Why oh why would you do that?

1. There's some misunderstanding here. At level 12-14 when I was Killing the Liches and Shadow/Red dragons, the high level magic was enjoyable. You watched what they cast, then reloaded and stored up your spells accordingly to counter it all. It was interesting and entertaining and thought provoking. When it got to the spell-casting level 7-9 however, character levels 15-19, it was all just summoning shit, spelltriggers/timestop, and ever more impregnable buffs, which was just pretty damn tedious, especially considering the enemy doesn't appear to adhere to the same rules as the player and can often cast the same rotation for eternity. Even with the Liches it was getting fairly boring having everyone stand around doing nothing while the mages fired off a gazillion different varieties of 'dispel magic' spell, during which time the enemy is doing nothing but ever-increasing their buffs, occasionally firing off a death spell or some kind of fire-based attack. So all the extra magery is just a huge time-sink until you get to the stage when the enemy is finally debuffed and normality resumes. Ally magery just helps speed the process up, to which good ol' level 1 Magic Missiles are still the best way to off most of these cretins.

My acquired Level 7 spells:

Summoning:
Cacofiend
Summon Efreeti
Summon Hakeashar
Summon Djinni
Yawn.

Yet more buffs and debuffs:
Khelben's Warding Whip
Mantle
Project Image
Protection From the Elements
Ruby Ray of Reversal
Spell Turning
Spell Sequencer
Most of which are all just minor variations of a gazillion other spells. I guess I used the Warding Whip the most, though it never said which spells it removed, which was a very annoying nuts and bolts issue...

Whatever spells:
Delayed Blast Fireball
Limited Wish
Mass Invisibility
Prismatic Spray
Sphere of Chaos
Mordenkainen's Sword
All of which are either so specific to maybe one specific situation in the entire game or just plain copies of already easily available spells at much lower levels that they rarely ever warranted a space.

The one that tried to get used the most:
Power Word: Stun
Obviously.

And the nuts and bolts angle thinks that while it's great that there are so many spells to choose from, it's fairly indicative of the entire game that so many of them are just copy/pastes of other spells and there's very little truly unique in gaining levels.

Moving onto level 8 spells, you tell me if this sounds repetitive and uninspiring:

Summon spells:
Summon Fiend
Simulacrum (summon spell number 10? Oh wow, now you can summon yourself! Hype hype).
Yawn

Buffs and debuffs:
Pierce Shield (so a bit like Warding Whip then...)
Protection from Energy (about the 5th elemental protection spell)
Spell Trigger (another sequencer)

Whatever spells:
Incendiary Cloud (the third fireball/Stinking Cloud spell)
Maze (good for the AI to use on you, but not great for you to use on them, cos you'll still have to kill them at some point, so, for us, a bit like Otiluke's Resiliant Sphere in a different form)

Actually used spells:
Symbol: Death
Symbol: Stun
Obviously... but even then the death one is usually just to get rid of summons quicker and the stun one will stun your own group as much as theirs, cos most battles in BG2 are your good ol' "surprise surprise" jobbies where everyone's in a bar-room brawl before you can even cast one spell most of the time.

Sure, maybe soloing with a mage makes all this stuff work and you can build for specific things, but as a party of ramshackle idiots, the vast majority of spells at this level will do more harm to your own than the opposition and, what a surprise, Magic Missile is still pretty much the most used spell even by end-game, and it's no surprise all of the spell casters still end the game with only 5% of kills, most of which will have been from Magic Missiles, Fireballs and whatever ranged weapon they use when the enemy doesn't even warrant wasting spells on. So, yeah, mostly padding and repetition rather than increased variety. That would be the nuts and bolts of it.

2. I don't, it's just the effects that were used in this way were stupid.

3. Probably, I wouldn't know. And it no longer matters anyway. I was suspecting I was supposed to transform to face him or something, but it ended before I gave up firing arrows at him.

4. Yeah, the city was fine and most of chapter 3, but even there I could show you many screenshots and you'd have no idea which part of the game it was from. You have entered generic lifeless cave number 8 !!!!

5. Yeah, he's got a great voice hasn't he.

7. It's what I had.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
BG1 has grown on me over the years. Maybe its the mods but I enjoyed it more the last time I played than 20 years ago.

I replayed BG1 and BG2 a year ago I also enjoyed BG1 more then BG2. Once I got to spellhold I really began to lose interest in BG2. It felt more linear and railroaded from there. I came to find that I enjoy the lower to mid level AD&D adventures. My favorite high level AD&D game remains Dark Queen of Krynn.

It's because you're getting old and BG1 is a much more leisurely game where you just hobble around killing things really easily at your own goddamn pace :argh:

Codex Year of the Donut
It's because high-level D&D is boring and tedious.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Well him having played unpatched BG2 explains a lot. Even just patching it and installing ToB helps, as there's less arbitrary breaking of D&D rules and some problems with encounters, NPC levels/items/spells and so on gets fixed. Of course, BG2 Fixpack and SCS2 change things massively, especially the latter.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
I'm currently in the Dragonspear portion of my EET playthrough, around the boareskyre bridge area, and so far I am little surprised at the quality of the dungeons so far. The lich dungeon was pretty good, as was the temple of bhaal, although I'm a bit disappointed at how easy neolithid died and how easy the green dragon was to kill after you used some protection from ailment scrolls. I'm just wondering why so many people on the Codex hate Dragonspear (apart from the stupid shit like the cringy trap), unless it just takes a nosedive later on, it seems decent enough to me.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
I assume that the poor reception, besides the inclusive and borderline retarded writing (Skie punches a flaming fist so hard the he flies a few feet back :lol: ), comes from the attempt to milk a more than 15 years old game.
It's a fun module though, also I loathe the 30vs30 nonsense. Looks that they had fun creating typical d&d situations and dungeons, so good for them.

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Interesting post, but there's some stuff here that shows you clearly didn't understand some of the mechanics very well (which is OK given that it's the first time you played).
Whatever spells:
Limited Wish
Mordenkainen's Sword
lolwut. Those are two of the best spells in the game. Drink a potion of insight and limited wish can give you spells back or give powerful buffs to your entire party. Mordenkainen's sword absolutely destroys melee enemies, who literally can't hurt it.

Simulacrum (summon spell number 10? Oh wow, now you can summon yourself! Hype hype).
Yawn
An exceedingly good spell, though admittedly best for fighter/mage types.

Actually used spells:
Obviously... but even then the death one is usually just to get rid of summons quicker and the stun one will stun your own group as much as theirs, cos most battles in BG2 are your good ol' "surprise surprise" jobbies where everyone's in a bar-room brawl before you can even cast one spell most of the time.
Symbol: Death should pretty much never be used as Death Spell is superior for getting rid of summons and is lower level. Anyway, not using Horrid Wilting is a huge mistake (unless you were an Illusionist I guess), since it does ridiculous AOE damage and doesn't affect your party. Another missed spell here is Power Word: Blind, which is an excellent AOE debuff.

Sure, maybe soloing with a mage makes all this stuff work and you can build for specific things, but as a party of ramshackle idiots, the vast majority of spells at this level will do more harm to your own than the opposition and, what a surprise, Magic Missile is still pretty much the most used spell even by end-game, and it's no surprise all of the spell casters still end the game with only 5% of kills, most of which will have been from Magic Missiles, Fireballs and whatever ranged weapon they use when the enemy doesn't even warrant wasting spells on. So, yeah, mostly padding and repetition rather than increased variety. That would be the nuts and bolts of it.
Sounds like you weren't using the GOAT web/cloudkill combo. Also Fireball is immensely inferior to Skull Trap as a level 3 AOE spell. Lastly, even if the mages aren't doing most of the killing they generally should be the MVPs of most big fights by imposing status effects on enemies with spells like Chaos and Web.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Agreed. The play, the analysis, and especially the lack of applying a patch all point to bushleague.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Interesting post, but there's some stuff here that shows you clearly didn't understand some of the mechanics very well (which is OK given that it's the first time you played).
Whatever spells:
Limited Wish
Mordenkainen's Sword
lolwut. Those are two of the best spells in the game. Drink a potion of insight and limited wish can give you spells back or give powerful buffs to your entire party. Mordenkainen's sword absolutely destroys melee enemies, who literally can't hurt it.

Yawn
An exceedingly good spell, though admittedly best for fighter/mage types.

Actually used spells:
Symbol: Death should pretty much never be used as Death Spell is superior for getting rid of summons and is lower level. Anyway, not using Horrid Wilting is a huge mistake (unless you were an Illusionist I guess), since it does ridiculous AOE damage and doesn't affect your party. Another missed spell here is Power Word: Blind, which is an excellent AOE debuff.

Sounds like you weren't using the GOAT web/cloudkill combo. Also Fireball is immensely inferior to Skull Trap as a level 3 AOE spell. Lastly, even if the mages aren't doing most of the killing they generally should be the MVPs of most big fights by imposing status effects on enemies with spells like Chaos and Web.

Horrid Wilting, Skull Trap... necromancy... gnome illusionist...

& yes, did use web and cloudkill combos.

& Limited Wish... can... CAN...

Agreed. The play, the analysis, and especially the lack of applying a patch all point to bushleague.

Yawn.

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Ah cool, so you picked the specialist that doesn't have access to the best AOE damage spells and then complain that mages don't have good AOE damage spells. Makes sense.

And Limited Wish isn't random like Wish. "Can" meaning "does, if that's the option you pick" brotato.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
And Limited Wish isn't random like Wish. "Can" meaning "does, if that's the option you pick" brotato.

The description of Limited Wish from the game:

"The Limited Wish is a very potent but difficult spell. It will fulfill literally, but only partially or for a limited duration, the utterance of the spellcaster. Thus, the actuality of the past, present, or future might be altered (but possibly only for the wizard unless the wording of the spell is most carefully stated) in some limited manner. The use of a Limited Wish will not substantially change major realities. The spell can, for example, restore some Hit Points lost by the wizard. Greedy desires usually end in disaster for the wisher. Lastly, the wiser the wizard, the better chance that <PRO_HESHE> will choose the right wording. Wizards with low Wisdom will more often than not meet with disaster when asking for a wish. "

Excuse me for thinking this sounds like a "whatever" spell...

Oh well, maybe I was wrong about this one spell, I guess that completely destroys every point I've made about the game that only you seem to have issue with but seem entirely incapable of putting into any more words than a kindergarten grade test sheet. Wow, you really showed me. Wow, that one spell with an extremely shitty description actually does something that the description doesn't even hint at, yeah man, that's totally my bad, nothing to do with the game at all. If only I'd tried Limited Wish just once then my entire perspective on the game and everything I've written would be wiped from my consciousness. Fuck off...

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Ah cool, so you picked the specialist that doesn't have access to the best AOE damage spells

OMG, you so showed me! Your point about the only worthwhile AoE spells are 2 from 1 specific school of magic really contradicts my point about lack of interesting variety in spells after level 6/7. You are such a genius I have no idea where to start in praising your every word!

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Ah cool, so you picked the specialist that doesn't have access to the best AOE damage spells and then complain that mages don't have good AOE damage spells. Makes sense.

I didn't complain about a lack of AoE spells. Now fuck off you illiterate fanboy spastic.
Ah cool, so you picked the specialist that doesn't have access to the best AOE damage spells

OMG, you so showed me! Your point about the only worthwhile AoE spells are 2 from 1 specific school of magic really contradicts my point about lack of interesting variety in spells after level 6/7. You are such a genius I have no idea where to start in praising your every word!
wat is happening

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
I think Incendiary is right btw, high level spells lack variety. And some are frankly useless.
Still, I think as a whole, BG2 magic system is still unmatched today. No game made it that good IMHO.
Though, the difficulty you said you had with late dragons is because you didn't master the spells system my dude.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom