Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher W3EE - Overhaul mod to TW3 that fixed everything that was wrong with vanilla game.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Really enjoying this. I finally figured out how to kill ghouls properly (I had Vesimir helping in the intro).

You back away slowly to avoid their lunges, block/parry when they are close and make sure every hit lands when you can. My old habits of just swinging wildly eat up stamina and get me killed too often. Take each one out as quick as you can because numbers can really overwhelm you quick.

This really is like a whole new game now.

Perkel

Arcane
also... how am i supposed to kill noonwraith by the well?

with silver sword, poison, fight at night and dmg upgrade on yrden + sign intensity my dmg is still minimal. Slowly I chip that hp bar down over 10mins but I do make mistake on occasion. What is the trick?

The trick is to use moon dust bombs. Which you probably won't have at this point.
Damage is fine (use charged heavy blows !), it is self-healing ability of her that fuck you up.

Devil By The Well is quest which in vanilla you do at start but in W3EE it is not beginner quest. You should try to tackle it later.

Really enjoying this. I finally figured out how to kill ghouls properly (I had Vesimir helping in the intro).

You back away slowly to avoid their lunges, block/parry when they are close and make sure every hit lands when you can. My old habits of just swinging wildly eat up stamina and get me killed too often. Take each one out as quick as you can because numbers can really overwhelm you quick.

This really is like a whole new game now.

Also use heavy attacks and special attacks (like rend, kick, bash etc). Heavy attacks now matter unlike in vanilla.

KateMicucci

Arcane
Sounds perfect. I wonder if it's worth abandoning my level 30 geralt and nearly finished game to try it out though.

razvedchiki

Erudite

with silver sword, poison, fight at night and dmg upgrade on yrden + sign intensity my dmg is still minimal. Slowly I chip that hp bar down over 10mins but I do make mistake on occasion. What is the trick?

on a previous version of the mod i hit her all i could and when my health got low i run out of the village untill i was full on hp and rentered,cheat but what can you do.

do potions have long durations (20 mins) like before?

Wolfe

Arbiter
Just tried to download the mod but it says that it's been hidden by the author. Anyone else seeing the same thing?

LE: nevermind, it's visible again, looks like it just got updated.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane

on a previous version of the mod i hit her all i could and when my health got low i run out of the village untill i was full on hp and rentered,cheat but what can you do.

She got fixed. Damage is not a problem. It is her regeneration that is insane. Unless you are really fucking quick you need those moon dust bombs or she will basically recover all her life in like no time.

Sounds perfect. I wonder if it's worth abandoning my level 30 geralt and nearly finished game to try it out though.
If it is your fist time, saving it for later may give you a excuse to replay it without getting burned out. If you stop now, you may get bored having to repeat content.
While dodge is now short and almost impossible to dodge anything with it
Yes, the author as said that dodge is more for positioning now, though it does still help with lunge type attacks from ghouls and such. You need to back away first though as you see them gearing up so that you will have the extra distance.

It is her regeneration that is insane.
It's manageable, so long as you kill her clones before they life drain you. My problem is that she kills me before I can take advantage of the damage I've done.

I ended up doing something similar. You don't even need to heal up. Just run out of the village when she splits into 3 and she'll return to her original form without healing. Makes the fight really easy.

With 3 range modifiers x 2 attack types, along with 2 dodge types and block... thats too many buttons for me and no longer fun.
*sigh* You want Skyrim? Because this is how you get Skyrim.

Fair enough though. But having played the game at least 2 times already, I am loving the change of pace. I actually have to figure out how to win fights now. That only happened once or twice in vanilla and usually because of HP bloat from a monster 10+ levels above me.
Boss fights become death from thousand cuts.
The only challenging boss fight for me was the Devil By The Well. It's the regular monster fights where I got swarmed that challenged me at first, until I learned how to take on the different monster types in the new system. The griffon was fun, but pretty easy - provided you don't act haphazardly. And I have to say that I am glad he removed the mechanic of one tiny crossbow bolt bringing it crashing down every time. Made it feel exceedingly weak in vanilla. Like I was fighting a big chicken instead of a fearsome monster.

That said, you could just increase your health modifier if you are dying from getting hit a lot.

My one agenda acknowledgement on this though is that, with the change to swallow, it's hard to heal mid-fight. But I assume this gets better as you learn the higher-tier recipes.
I do like no lvls and skill progression on use
This is my least favorite part of the mod. It's not bad, I just prefer a VTM like system where you get XP for quests. Still an improvement on vanilla though - which was such a boring system that most of the time I wouldn't even spend my level up points until later.

Last edited by a moderator:

Perkel

Arcane
Ive cleared first area and realized... this mod is not for me.

With 3 range modifiers x 2 attack types, along with 2 dodge types and block... thats too many buttons for me and no longer fun.

range modifiers are automatic. They change how geralt attacks according to range. The further you are the more winded and slower attack becomes (which is logical considering how much distance is to monster).

2 additional moves are just combos of old moves with block. You hit block and fast attack and you get kick etc.

So in fact you have 2 buttons for dodges from which you only use one, 2 types of attack (slow and fast) and block, maybe add to that special button for magic and special button for items like crossbow.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
also didnt mention that my biggest issue was alchemy crafting. I did like finding those rare ingredients. In this mod everything is about each ingredient having number of x base reagents.
As a result you can ride through the woods to get all the flowers and make rare potions with dandelions.

I do understand that decotions are different as they require mutagens.

Since I were so invested into this i guess its time to find my perfect mods list.

In vanilla game you only made potion ONCE. After that it only needed alcohol and that is it.
Meaning that after you made those about 10-15 normal potions there was no reason to find any ingredients.

Which is one of prime reasons why it sucked.

In W3EE getting some ingredients is easier but at the same time if you want to make best potions you need second ingredients. Like if you want to make really powerful Swallow you need not only enchanced diagram for it but also ingredients with rubedo as secondary element.

Lagi

Savant
I anchor here my post. I never play any witcher, but this mod (no-lvl) incline me to. Will check in next month, how it ripen.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
So for someone who reallly enjoyed The Witcher 1, is W3EE top incline now? It's not like I can play The Witcher III on my PC, but I was really sad to hear the game was fairly mediocre when it came to gameplay.

Last edited:

So for someone who reallly enjoyed The Witcher 1, is W3EE top incline now?
Yes.
really sad to hear the game was fairly mediocre when it came to gameplay.
Depends on how you define gameplay. Playing through the game was fantastic due to decent writing.

Combat was meh, but Witcher 1 and 2 had worse combat than 3. Especially 1. (3 clicks in a row. Over an over. For the entire game.)

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
So for someone who reallly enjoyed The Witcher 1, is W3EE top incline now?
Yes.
really sad to hear the game was fairly mediocre when it came to gameplay.
Depends on how you define gameplay. Playing through the game was fantastic due to decent writing.

Combat was meh, but Witcher 1 and 2 had worse combat than 3. Especially 1. (3 clicks in a row. Over an over. For the entire game.)

I enjoyed TW1's combat, but it was very shallow (as you said). Timing your attacks was nice, but it didn't required a lot of concentration, and it seems to me the game was built around the idea the player would always connect the combos, so battles dragged on for too long as a result. My main issues with TW3 were the dumbing down of alchemy (apparently this mod corrects that), the combat whcih was called a roll fest in the Codex (again, the mod apparently fixes that), the leveled world (fixed too), and the quest markers and so on.

I'm not sure how equipment or character progression works on The Witcher III (and how the mod reworks that, for that matter), but one thing I hated about The Witcher was that you could pretty much max a lot of different skill trees and there wasn't any reason to choose between the different weapons available.

Now that I've gotten used to the combat system, it's not super challenging like it was in the beginning. Granted, drowners can still kill me if I'm not careful, but once you learn an enemy's movement pattern and know how to block/parry at the right time, it's not so bad.

The incline is that I don't feel like I can just go to sleep and play on autopilot anymore. Not preparing before a battle and at least healing up can be lethal - even when facing off against ghouls, drowners or dogs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom