Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online - gone B2P

Mortmal

Arcane
Dunno, my sources at Bethesda say it is doing extremely well on Consoles.
Of course its successfull, i bet your friends at Bethesda played secret world at release. They have read the zone chat and realized how clever their potential customers really are. So ESO dungeons are corridor like and puzzles never require pushing more than 3 levers in the right order....

Thane Solus

Arcane
OMFG they fucking destroyed the game. So i tried again after a few years, played a bit until level 15, until i found out what this piece of shit corporation did to the game:

1) The world now scales with you, you can go anywhere, even to other factions which normaly you are at war, and quest. No progression, nada, leveling was hard!
2) Even crafting now, when you advance to the next tier, all the old nodes, are transformed into the next tier node for you (YOU FUCKING WOT MATE??!)
3) They added quite a interesting house system, but since is zenimax, it has no purpose. THERE is not even fucking a fucking bank in the house, teleports or whatnot. Just trophies (cool), nice placement system(cool), and thats it + npc to sell shit, or skeletron to test DPS. Large numbers of furniture that takes ages to craft and DO NOTHING! No place to store loot, in a fucking house system, these people man, the incompetence and greed....

4) You dont find about this, until much later. I did by accident.
5) More than half of the population are OK WITH THIS! FUCK ME!

MMOs Market its fucking dead... DIE ZENIMAX YOU PIECE OF SHIT COMPANY!

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Amazon US is selling the MARROWWINDZ edition (which includes the base game) for $16. Might check it out just as a single player exploration thing.

Gerrard

Arcane
Okay, I'm downloading this turd since I finally have space, ready for some shit. Todd be praised!

E: well, if anything, I am impressed at how well the game runs. I was expecting some awful unoptimized mess.

Last edited:

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Looks like this game turns profitable for them.

It's honestly kinda incline in terms of mmos:
  • No grinding, can do whatever the fuck u want
  • Action-esque combat system
  • Good business model (f2p + buy dlc)
  • Can play pretty much any role as any class
  • Decent graphix
I mean, it's still a bad game and I wouldn't waste time playing it but I like their design philosophy better than WoW/etc..

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I dunno, Blizzard's made some good decisions, such as allowing people to straight-up buy a basically geared max-level character.

Why is this good? Because otherwise they'd buy them from the Chinese. Might as well cut out the middle man.

The game itself though (core gameplay loop) is so hilariously basic and stupid.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I dunno, Blizzard's made some good decisions, such as allowing people to straight-up buy a basically geared max-level character.

Why is this good? Because otherwise they'd buy them from the Chinese. Might as well cut out the middle man.

I’d rather $ go to chinese than cucked blizzard.

But for real, yea being able to buy max lvl character is ok but I’d prefer if they just got rid of levels entirely so you could run whatever content you’d like rather than being forced to run whichever raid or dungeon is current. There’s so much content in WoW that’s never used idk what they’re thinking..

Not even going to get into how Blizz makes literally everything into a skinner box endless treadmill ughh... Some people really like the skinner box grinds though it’s just not for me :/

Thane Solus

Arcane

I actually liked vanilla Elder Scrolls Online, it was nothing next-gen, but good enough, decent combat and weapon/skills variety, decent crafting, no WOW art direction, nice vistas, decent quests. It was ok. With the new changes they transformed it into Hello Kitty Online.
They actually made a good dialog system, no cutscene garbage, just zoom to npc a little, and choices of dialog.

As for WoW it was never that good, was a casual mmo, with some nice maps and lots of polish, but really a popamole MMO. I played at most 3 months in a row, total, probably 1 year...up to Lich King and Lol Death Knights. (most of the time in battlegrounds). Vanilla and next expansion were the most interesting.
Before WoW: Ultima Online, DAOC, Anarchy Online, SWG, Asheron Call, EQ, EVE Online, all 10 times better.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
So, it's another adventuring zone? Morrowind expansion also had the hook of introducing a new class. Summerset seems kinda lightweight from they've shown so far.

gruntar

Augur

I wouldn't call making leveling and gearing a character so soul-crushingly tedious and time consuming that addicts still playing it are willing to pay 60$ to skip it a good decision. Unless you're talking from business perspective, not player one.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Might as well just shut the game down at that rate, because it is after all an MMORPG, and not a grindy one by any stretch of the imagination when compared to its predecessors.

Old MMORPGs are basically extinct (with the exception of text MUDs, which are their own animal); those that still exist have been made far easier and with faster progression. The way they generally used to work was that areas were so dangerous to traverse, non-instanced bosses were so hazardous to fight, and leveling up was so difficult and skill-intensive (at least, doing it efficiently was skill-intensive) that you simply had to form cooperative relationships and communities to cope. I remember way back in the mists of time when I played FFXI, I felt so privileged to be invited by my Japanese friend Hap to a leveling party of his clan mates, and yeah, they were super-efficient compared to the usual gaggle of American and European retards.

Plus, you could choose to go on all sorts of adventures. Once I had a powerful Red Mage/White Mage, I'd run around the lower-level zones healing groups of leveling-up players who looked like they were having trouble, or take some inexperienced players out to "power level" them by providing buffs and healing that they otherwise wouldn't be able to level up in that area without. Or, maybe I'd grab a few friends, we'd choose a non-instanced boss (almost all were non-instanced and on a spawn timer), then carefully pick our way through some treacherous zone and camp said boss, competing with whichever other boss-campers happened to be there at the time, all of us hoping for drops which were of course as rare as tits on an eagle.

You also had to complete certain tasks to advance past certain character levels, and few if any were doable without help. The most infamous was Ancient Papyrus, which was required to advance from level 50-60. You could only obtain it from the Eldieme Necropolis, a pitch-black maze filled with drop-offs, dead ends, and nasty skeletons and spooks. Once you finally reached level 60, you'd have to brave further horrors in order to obtain your artifact armor (iconic Final Fantasy job system costumes).

That's just the tip of the iceberg, really. It was definitely a theme park MMORPG, but it was a mysterious and dangerous adventure even after you'd been playing it for months. nuMMORPGs aren't like that at all. There's no challenge, no requirement of skill really except possibly for endgame raid memorization, no real need to form communities except to chat or maybe run raids. You just derp your way through. I don't have the time or the patience for the old-school type anymore, but I really don't give a shit about these new ones, either.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
So this game is hot garbage? Its free to play this weekend, but I dont even know if I can be bothered downloading it to look...

Does it have Black Marsh/Elswyr as locations? I always hoped they would do them in a proper ES game, seems a lot more interesting than super generic fantasy Skyrim/Cyrodil.

jungl

Augur
Its more entertaining doing your taxes then playing elder scrolls online. This by far the most boring mmorpg I played when it comes to collecting gear and questing, pve content for the most part. Also all the classes are the same and there is no real customization. I'm a huge fan of elder scrolls it and mmorpgs in general. I say this the biggest blunder mmorpg ever outside of the bioware star wars one.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Cool you saved me 80 gig download! :salute:

I am not a fan of mmorpgs anyway, I only played everquest, and a bit of WoW when it first released, I play PC games to get away from people not join groups of online retards.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Its more entertaining doing your taxes then playing elder scrolls online. This by far the most boring mmorpg I played when it comes to collecting gear and questing, pve content for the most part. Also all the classes are the same and there is no real customization. I'm a huge fan of elder scrolls it and mmorpgs in general. I say this the biggest blunder mmorpg ever outside of the bioware star wars one.
Well, the Star Wars one at least has some stories to tell and no level scaling.
The level scaling in ESO just killed it for me. I actually liked the combat for an MMO, the skill system, etc.
But there just is absolutely no sense of progression as everywhere you go you face the same level of "challenge". It is horrible.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I guess this rules out Summerset Isle as a location for the next main Elder Scrolls game. I know it's a different studio to Todd's people but they probably communicate and agree not to step on eachother's toes.

Gerrard

Arcane
It's not the level scaling as much as the fact that all encounters in the world are pretty much the same. If the combat was more actiony it wouldn't be that much of an issue.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I guess this rules out Summerset Isle as a location for the next main Elder Scrolls game. I know it's a different studio to Todd's people but they probably communicate and agree not to step on eachother's toes.
Or they could synergize, reuse assets and recycle some lore, and set it there precisely because ESO did.

Okagron

Prophet
"Enemies scale with your level"

So, Zenimax decided to use one of the most wretched things in the RPG genre? That's a sure way for me to not want to touch your game.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Enemies scale with your level"

So, Zenimax decided to use one of the most wretched things in the RPG genre? That's a sure way for me to not want to touch your game.
It's actually the other way around, you scale with the enemies' level (so they effectively make you feel weaker :lol: )*.
Since you can roam the same area with people of various levels, everyone is brought more or less to the same power level. Not sure how it is in instances - too long ago.

*Of course not to exactly the same level, so a level 8 char will still be obviously weaker than a level 80 char, but the level 80 char cannot breeze through the area nearly as effortlessly as he should be able to.

I really don't mind a limited level scaling. Like, enemies in area A scale from level 3 to 6, in area B from level 15 to 20, etc.
That way, a certain challenge is maintained while you're leveling in an area, but when you come back later, you will still see how much you grew in power. Obviously, that works only in instanced MMO areas or in single player, though.
But limitless scaling as I've seen it in ESO is just a plague.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom