Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Ash

Arcane
Flashy combat needs to be supported with proper level design.

Yup. And proper AI. Proper resource economy. Proper inventory progression etc.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
I'm recoiling from over the shoulder camera, it's just not the RE experience.

Remember those wierd angles, like on the floor looking up, or from a cubard, makes you feel like you're watching through the eyes of zombies etc. and the lack of peripheral vision only aided the atmosphere.

Marvin scene was offputing, playing through both A+B scenarios is gone, moving is slow and I can already tell this game just won't be for the old fans.
That's what I miss most of all. Each room and each angle was a memorable scene in itself. It was the most successful way to make a game "cinematic" without taking an ounce of control away from the player. And like you say the chosen camera angle for a given room could really impact the atmosphere. There were even those certain rooms where upon entering the camera would show some enemies in the foreground, unaware of the player's presence, giving this feeling of inevitable dread from knowing that you'd eventually have to deal with them.

Or like in this area, Nemesis could spawn by the door in the background, and you as a player would be running towards the foreground to try and escape as Nemesis is rushing up from the background.

117510.JPG

Or these long, one point perspective corridors, used in all three games, that were so unsettling.

117573.jpeg

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I'm recoiling from over the shoulder camera, it's just not the RE experience.

Remember those wierd angles, like on the floor looking up, or from a cubard, makes you feel like you're watching through the eyes of zombies etc. and the lack of peripheral vision only aided the atmosphere.

Marvin scene was offputing, playing through both A+B scenarios is gone, moving is slow and I can already tell this game just won't be for the old fans.
That's what I miss most of all. Each room and each angle was a memorable scene in itself. It was the most successful way to make a game "cinematic" without taking an ounce of control away from the player. And like you say the chosen camera angle for a given room could really impact the atmosphere. There were even those certain rooms where upon entering the camera would show some enemies in the foreground, unaware of the player's presence, giving this feeling of inevitable dread from knowing that you'd eventually have to deal with them.

Or like in this area, Nemesis could spawn by the door in the background, and you as a player would be running towards the foreground to try and escape as Nemesis is rushing up from the background.

117510.JPG

Or these long, one point perspective corridors, used in all three games, that were so unsettling.

117573.jpeg

Totally dude... I'm cruising on a high arcing nostalgia wave right now. The directing of those still shots was like a maestro guiding an orchestra, able to make pace changes at will.

Make it feel confined and cramped, so as a player I could really feel the room closing in on me, with all danger implied.
large.jpg

But most of all, it's the attention to detail, presented in such a way to make each shot real, lived in. And it's right there, like a painting, meticulously presented so I can take time to absorb every detail and let the brain chemistry generate the feels.
gfs_44599_2_18.jpg

With action oriented, over the shoulder gameplay like RE5, everything but the player and enemies becomes a blur. Depth of field at a really close range. And there's no fear, just spray and pray with an occasional successful jump scare.

What I liked about old RE's is that you had to crack yourself and decide you want to fight, or brave an area where there could be a fight, once the actual fight starts, it can go either way and running is very much under the "fuck that!" option. Unless it's a surprise. It's implied from every angle.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Going on a RE binge right now, finished RE2 and just got started on 4
Weirdly enough I actually prefer to play the emulated gamecube version rather than the newer PC HD release; that letterbox look feels somehow right and having the fullscreen version makes me feel that Leon covers half the screen
I was was planning on playing RE1 Remake next and maybe trying O but I hear some good things about Revelations is the PC port any good? Is it worth a look rather than playing 5 and 6?

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
The gamecube versions of the classic RE games are the best ones (Except for REmake and Zero, which have great and current gen HD ports), which actually are ports from the Dreamcast ones I think. Sadly, they were so fucking hard to find even at their time, and very expensive, but you can play them 100% with zero problems on Dolphin emulator.

O but I hear some good things about Revelations is the PC port any good? Is it worth a look rather than playing 5 and 6?

I got bored with Revelations not very far into game but it at least felt more fun than 6 in that it actually had gameplay more or less from start.

Adon

Arcane
Revelations 1 doesn't have the satisfying shooting from the action RE games nor does it contain the horror atmosphere or puzzles of ye games of ol'; it's just somewhere in the middle without any real strengths so it just ends up being boring. Worth maybe one playthrough at best, but I guarantee you; you'll never feel like replaying it.

I'd say skip it for Revelations 2. Nothing groundbreaking, but a better game than Rev1 in every way.

The only thing worth playing Rev1 for is Jill's butt, and umm...

0920055b8c8f88413d5118641cde2fe7898eeddc_hq.jpg

latest

:shredder:

Okagron

Prophet
I enjoyed the levels when you are inside of the Zenobia ship, but the levels outside of it are not very good in my opinion. If the game was just levels inside of ship, it would have improved the game.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
When it comes to RE: Revelations I recommend Mercenaries mode after finishing the story once. The game is good, but you can see the limitations of the 3DS as a main platform. Some of the side stories could be longer, and some completely cut off when it comes to the story. The sequel was more interesting when it comes to setting and felt more polished when it comes to audiovisual department and has local co-op included.

Ash

Arcane
Weirdly enough I actually prefer to play the emulated gamecube version rather than the newer PC HD release; that letterbox look feels somehow right and having the fullscreen version makes me feel that Leon covers half the screen
I was was planning on playing RE1 Remake next and maybe trying O but I hear some good things about Revelations is the PC port any good? Is it worth a look rather than playing 5 and 6?

Oi, no skipping RE3 you heathen. You need a fresh perspective after claiming it was "derivative".

Egosphere

Arcane
That's what I miss most of all. Each room and each angle was a memorable scene in itself. It was the most successful way to make a game "cinematic"

Even though it wasn't proper fixed cameras, one of fav. examples of this was in the hookman trailer for the early RE4 prototype. There's a 2 second scene where you're running down a corridor away from the camera, and you see the guy with his outstretched hook-wielding arm come into view from right underneath your pov, so you're given a sudden close up shot of his weapon as he staggers after you. I thought it was really masterfully done. I still like RE4 for what it is, but I'd have liked to play those early prototypes.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I really liked RE revelations, mainly because it's atmosphere. Guezz, I even liked the so long critisiced enemy design. But I agree with the fact that has limitations from being a portable game. Still, I think it has his brights, and mercenary modes is actually fun. Give me all these senseless female character design :bounce:. On the other hand, RE Revelations 2 never catched me. Maybe I should give it another chance...

Anyway, I downloaded RE the darkside chronicles from the emulator. It's pure popamole (Or maybe is not? Because it's a shooter on rails where the only way of protecting you is killing the enemies asap.), it's a worth experience played with a friend. I really like the visual design of the areas and characters (RE2 and Code veronica). Same with Umbrella chronicles. The best spin-offs of the series, alltogether with the Outbreak ones.

tumblr_ob3cpijot31qjztgpo1_400.gif

Wunderbar

Arcane
REv1 is ok. Chapters with Jill on a ship were good, chapters with Chris and other dudes were bad. I spent like a hundred hours in Raid Mode, it hooked me for some reason.

REv2 is much better. It's like "The Last of Us", but with Claire, Barry, and memes.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2

Oi, no skipping RE3 you heathen. You need a fresh perspective after claiming it was "derivative".
I installed the Sourcenext version of RE3 and holy shit does it look great, the colors look much crisper and the backgrounds look nicer
I really like the graphic options and really hate they didn’t use those on RE2 because running it on fullscreen is rather buggy... I found a workaround with another program to fullscreen the game and that works very good
I will probably get to it after 4 and playing the 1 Remake

Wunderbar

Arcane

I installed the Sourcenext version of RE3 and holy shit does it look great, the colors look much crisper and the backgrounds look nicer
I really like the graphic options and really hate they didn’t use those on RE2 because running it on fullscreen is rather buggy... I found a workaround with another program to fullscreen the game and that works very good
I will probably get to it after 4 and playing the 1 Remake
I thought Sourcenext versions of RE3 are japanese language only. There is an english translation?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I really liked RE revelations, mainly because it's atmosphere. Guezz, I even liked the so long critisiced enemy design. But I agree with the fact that has limitations from being a portable game. Still, I think it has his brights, and mercenary modes is actually fun. Give me all these senseless female character design :bounce:. On the other hand, RE Revelations 2 never catched me. Maybe I should give it another chance...

Anyway, I downloaded RE the darkside chronicles from the emulator. It's pure popamole (Or maybe is not? Because it's a shooter on rails where the only way of protecting you is killing the enemies asap.), it's a worth experience played with a friend. I really like the visual design of the areas and characters (RE2 and Code veronica). Same with Umbrella chronicles. The best spin-offs of the series, alltogether with the Outbreak ones.

tumblr_ob3cpijot31qjztgpo1_400.gif
The proof that they can make a rookie looking Leon without making it look like he has down syndrome.

flyingjohn

Arcane
If anybody is interested here is a link for upscaled background images for the gamecube version of resi 2:
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-resident-evil-2-waifu2x-upscaled-backgrounds--49698

Some screens
lCV2bcx.jpg
:

YXOymh5.jpg

Edit:Decided to add instructions:
  1. Download files
  2. Unzip files
  3. Place all files into "Documents\Dolphin Emulator\Load\Textures\GHAE08" 4.Open Dolphin and click "Graphics"
  4. Click Advanced tab and check "Load Custom Textures"
  5. Click Enhancements tab and set internal resolution to "Native"
  6. Play Game (It's ok to have your Full Screen Resolution as high as you want [PC pending] )

Last edited:

Adon

Arcane
One thing I'll give Rev1 credit for is the soundtrack. It was the first game since, possibly Code Veronica, that had some really great and memorable tracks.

The proof that they can make a rookie looking Leon without making it look like he has down syndrome.

I want you to do a double take on that gif -- really look closely.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
One thing I'll give Rev1 credit for is the soundtrack. It was the first game since, possibly Code Veronica, that had some really great and memorable tracks.

I want you to do a double take on that gif -- really look closely.

Hmm...well it's still better than what we got for the RE2 remake IMO.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
If anybody is interested here is a link for upscaled background images for the gamecube version of resi 2:
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-resident-evil-2-waifu2x-upscaled-backgrounds--49698

Some screens
lCV2bcx.jpg
:

YXOymh5.jpg

1. Download files
  2. Unzip files
  3. Place all files into "Documents\Dolphin Emulator\Load\Textures\GHAE08" 4.Open Dolphin and click "Graphics"
  6. Play Game (It's ok to have your Full Screen Resolution as high as you want [PC pending] )
Looks fucking gay, like they just ran some smoothing filters over it in photoshop.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

Some screens
lCV2bcx.jpg
:

YXOymh5.jpg

1. Download files
  2. Unzip files
Looks fucking gay, like they just ran some smoothing filters over it in photoshop.
Pretty much. It's like those Scumm emulations when they use those shitty filters to hide the pixels, but make the game a blurry clusterfuck.

flyingjohn

Arcane

Some screens
lCV2bcx.jpg
:

YXOymh5.jpg

1. Download files
  2. Unzip files
Well there is not a lot you can do considering those are images and not textures.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom