Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic: The Gathering

Roobenator

Novice

Ask around MTG Salvation. Sell most expensive cards seperately or as playsets via their trading forum, don't compromise on price. Sell less expensive staples in group or even bulk for expedience. Selling off all cards seperately/as playsets is a nightmare.

The above is based on experience selling off $3000 worth of cards, YMMV.
Thanks, man. I'll check that out. I actually used to sell some cards 2 years ago in magiccardmarket. It was a pain to package 10 cent orders separately every day but it seemed necessary to be established as a reliable seller. The end game was to sell a few force of wills. Is MKM the biggest single marketplace there is? Also I'm from Europe, and maybe should consider selling to the US as the euro has weakened?

Could be that I'll just go suck some truck driver dick to get my finances together, I'm way too attached to these cards.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Ask around MTG Salvation. Sell most expensive cards seperately or as playsets via their trading forum, don't compromise on price. Sell less expensive staples in group or even bulk for expedience. Selling off all cards seperately/as playsets is a nightmare.

The above is based on experience selling off $3000 worth of cards, YMMV.
Thanks, man. I'll check that out. I actually used to sell some cards 2 years ago in magiccardmarket. It was a pain to package 10 cent orders separately every day but it seemed necessary to be established as a reliable seller. The end game was to sell a few force of wills. Is MKM the biggest single marketplace there is? Also I'm from Europe, and maybe should consider selling to the US as the euro has weakened?
Most expensive cards: deffo get the best price US or EU.

Other cards: Magic Card Market is great. I live in Denmark which is a very small country, and I sold most of the bulk cards in 1 big pile to a fellow countrymen.

if you are from europe, sell via magiccardmarket, its the biggest and best marketplace for sure
Ok, but is there a price spike somewhere in the next 6 months? Like before an upcoming limited event.

Don't sell just before cards rotate out of standard. That's about the only guarantee I can you. The rest is pure speculation. Especially currently with so many formats.

Commander frequently makes shitty old bluk rares cost like $20 out of the blue. Though less frequently now that the format has settled.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
mysticgate.jpg
minaanddennwildborn.jpg

Mina and Denn, Wildborn
2RG
Legendary Creature - Elf Ally
You may play an additional land during each of your turns.

RG, Return a land you control to its owner's hand: Target creature gains trample until end of turn.

It's funny how we are returning to a world where magic cards get leaked before release. Also, this is pretty conclusive evidence to what <> means considering :
Image.ashx

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
So, over this past summer, I've really gotten into Magic. I've only played with my friends no tournaments yet. I have two decks:
  • Big Black Deck of Destruction: Deck focused on solely being a blitzy aggro deck with only black in it. I've only lost maybe six times out of the past many many games I've played with this deck. They usually lose before they know what hit them, and if not, I've lost.
  • Nicol Bolas, The Deciever: Nicol Bolas is a Planeswalker. The entire deck is built around drawing him. I have three Visages of Bolas which let me draw him from my deck or graveyard and his -11 Loyalty ability deals 7 damage to all opponents and I get to draw seven cards. So if I get more than one Visage, I can sacrifice him and in multiple turns get out 14+ damage. His other abilities aren't bad, but they aren't that good either. Also have this deck filled with Artifacts. Built it as a five type deck, works pretty good, though it doesn't have the W/L record of the BBD

Jason Liang

Arcane
My best deck was also mono-black.

2478.hq.jpg

We started playing around The Dark/ Ice Age. I was pretty lucky and saw Necropotence's potential before anyone else did. "Hey, Drain Life is a Braingeyser! Healing Salve is Ancestral Recall!" So I got my playset pretty cheap. Then the 2nd World Championships (Black Summer) happened and everyone bandwagonned to Necro, but I had all the copies in my high school already:D Sadly Necro never became a $50 card.

I wish I had bought more Alliances and less Fallen Empires.

I guess I only play legacy now. I had an Echantress deck but my mom tossed it out (with my Wastelands:( and Karakas) I started acquiring the cards for Solidarity. I'm working on a cascade deck with split cards and Seasons Past. It's retarded that Bloodbraid Elf is banned in Modern.

Wayward Son

Yeah, the BBD was my first, I had gotten two of the Amonkhet two player packs with my friend's brother and decided I liked the aesthetic of the black cards so I made my deck out of them. I have three cards my friends fear:
  • Nightmare: It's a fairly expensive card but it's toughness and Attack are equal to the number of swamps in your mana pool. In an all-dark deck, that shit can end up with fucktons of attack. Oh and did I mention flying?
  • Certain Death: Insta-kills any monster and health drains the owner for 2 HP.
  • Sengir Vampire: Anytime a monster it attacks dies, it gains +1/+1. Has flying. Solid card overall.
  • There are a few others, but these are the big three.
It's also got some pretty potent combos:
  • My death squad is a collection of 8 monsters whose only purpose is to go out and die. Some of them deal damage on death, others summon better tokens on death.
  • Trial/Cartouche of Ambition: Together, you can use these to force a player to discard any two monsters, rebuff one and buff one of yours, and both are relatively cheap.
  • Anything+Untamed Hunger: Whatever you play gets +2/+1 and has menace. Add on Cartouche of Ambition's bonus and Sengir Vampire's ability, you can get a solid 10/9 flying creature with menace that only gets stronger as they use up their creatures to block.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Masters 25 is making me quite happy. Many cards that I've wanted in the new border format, including:

en_L0t2ql8FRr.png
en_IkWMusMqWa.png
en_aBUhvsHRIc.png
en_cK9ELqH9Si.png
en_ZWjfn2HTKK.png
en_teqZSk4lUH.png
en_68pbI0CV9P.png

illuknisaa

Cipher
Honestly I think Masters 25 is massive train wreck even a bigger than iconic masters. They are asking 10 euros per booster for really low value cards and the cards that have value only have value because they are from low print run sets (imperial recruiter was originally over 200 euros, now it's only 40€ and is still going down.) Then you have the drama from Wotc unbanning jace in modern just to sell this set, set not properly being randomized and "leaking" of dominaria.

Guys you should try out xmage. I've been playing it for about a month now and it's pretty good.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Just a couple of cards for legacy.
Image.ashx

Unwind is a small upgrade for Solidarity.

Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

The Legendary Sorcery cycle is quite powerful.

Image.ashx

I think people are underrating Broken Bond. Although "play a land from your hand" is strictly weaker than "play an additional land," it's not very hard for green to stock the hand with extra lands.

Image.ashx

Adventurous Impulse is borderline playable. It's strictly worse than Ponder but green can always use more 1 drops.

Image.ashx

This guy is beatings in Vintage.

Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Two good cheat stuff into play cards.

Image.ashx

This land is possibly abusable in the right deck. Miracles anyone?

Image.ashx

A poor Mox is still a Mox.

grimace

Arcane

https://www.youtube com/watch?v=bI63T7dlgv0

Geek & Sundry
Published on Jun 27, 2018
Join Sean "Day[9]" Plott as he plays Magic: The Gathering with Lizzie Bennet herself, Ashley Clements, in the latest episode of Spellslingers!

Welcome to Spellslingers, a show based on the phenomenally popular card game, Magic: The Gathering. Presented by Sean Plott of Day9TV, prepare to experience fun-filled, fast-talking and adrenaline-paced battles that highlight the latest MTG cards.

Cool people play Magic. Girls too.

Jason Liang Agreed on broken bond. I recently bought 4 and added them to my blue/green deck.

I started playing at Lorwyn, but really got into it with Morning Tide. I played kitchen table with a bunch of my friends very avidly until around late 2011, which was when Innistrad was released. I got way into it, and built a bunch decks for like...$40 a piece over that period. Life happened, we fanned out across the country, and I hadn't really had the opportunity to play until last year--at which time I tuned up and tweaked most of my decks. Turns just about all of my $40 decks now have a market value of several hundred dollars. Especially my bad-ass faerie tribal deck--its appreciation was outrageous. A friend of mine finally convinced me to use laminated protectors. I try to think of them as toys, and use them accordingly. I only get to play a few nights a year, on the count of being an adult now, but the itch lingers.

illuknisaa

Cipher
I've started to double sleeve my cards. I've noticed that even when my cards are in sleeves they still collect all kinds of grime and dust and damage the upper portion of the card. Even if the card is worth only couple of cents you never know if some random pauper deck becomes a thing or they print some silly new commander that breaks a certain card the price of the card skyrocket and condition can seriously harm the trade/resell value.

You guys should also look into getting foils of cards especially if they are cheap. Many (un)commons might not have a deck when they are first released but later might become key pieces in competitive decks. Eg. Codex shredder is from a relatively new expansion and thus has almost no value because it is a uncommon but then Lantern control become a thing the value of shredder is mostly the same (few cents) but the foils are 1000% more valuable. Foils also retain their value much better than normal because cards will get reprinted in supplementary sets like dual decks and commander sets crushing the non foil value but foils still retain their value even in some cases makes it increase in value to higher demand. Even if a card gets a second foil print the foiling process might be different and thus the market treats the new foil as a separate entity from the original.

Wayward Son

I just traded a damaged Zacama, Primal Calamity that I drew from a booster for two boosters and drew a Lyra and a Squee among many other things

Squid

Arbiter
you never know if some random pauper deck becomes a thing or they print some silly new commander that breaks a certain card the price of the card skyrocket and condition can seriously harm the trade/resell value.
Good idea because as I remember it, that essentially happened to Rhys, the Redeemed. When I first got into MtG I grabbed 4 of him when he rotated out of standard and wasn't worth a whole lot. I later got into EDH/Commander and decided I didn't need 4 of him and traded 3 away when he was about 2 bucks. He shot up to 20 when Return to Ravnica happened. I guess it was Selesyna EDH decks that suddenly wanted to use Populate?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom