Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity II Fig Update #50: What's Coming In July

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

The latest free DLC for Pillars of Eternity II was released yesterday, alongside a minor patch addressing some of the leftover issues from this month's big balance update. Obsidian took the opportunity to publish a new Fig update that also reveals a bit about what they have planned for next month. They seem to be putting out a lot more updates these days than they bothered to before the game was released!

We hope you've been enjoying the new features and challenges presented by Patch 1.1, released on June 7th. Thanks to our community's continued support and feedback, we've made some slight adjustments and fixes in our newest update, Patch 1.1.1, and have released our fourth free DLC - the "Scalawags Pack", both released today. Head to our forums for the full list of Patch 1.1.1 fixes.

The "Scalawags Pack" introduces new and additional crew members, including a rowdy Wood Elf cook named Haema, a rather professional Orlan navigator named Coreto, and a familiar Aumauan merchant named Ponamu Bird-Scorned. Haema, Coreto, and Ponamu Bird-Scorned can be found and recruited in Port Maje, Crookspur, and Tikawara, respectively. In addition to the new members you can add to your lovable gang of misfits, the pack also includes new ship upgrades in the form of a living steel anchor made by animancers, a lantern that illuminates your way through the lesser flame blight trapped inside, bright sails made of palm fronds, a monstrous steering wheel made from parts of a Vine Lurker, and a short-range flamethrower to spew Magran's fire at your enemies! And just in case your crew forgets who their captain is, make sure they know who runs their ship with the Savage personality setting that you can set for your Watcher at any time as of our last patch.

Coming in July

As always, the team welcomes your feedback and discussions about the game, and we haven't veered away from our continued commitment to support Deadfire with ongoing feature updates, fixes, and quality of life improvements to make your every adventure in the Deadfire Archipelago the absolute best it can be. July will bring with it a bevy of new features, including the oft-requested stash improvements and in-game mod support, through Patch 1.2. As a sneak peek into 1.2, we want to share with you our planned relationship tracking feature, which shows players a history of the choices they made that affected their relationships with particular companions or factions!

Additionally, our first expansive DLC, titled "The Beast of Winter", will be released in late July! We can't wait to share in the mysteries and stories that await you in this lore-filled adventure, so be sure to check back regularly to see what we and Rymrgand have in store for you in the weeks to come.
Adam Brennecke dropped a few additional hints about the Beast of Winter expansion in an interview with Shacknews at E3 last week, although nothing you couldn't guess by its title. In the meantime, you can grab the new free DLC on Steam or GOG. I wonder if this is the last one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cross

Arcane
Additionally, our first expansive DLC, titled "The Beast of Winter", will be released in late July! We can't wait to share in the mysteries and stories that await you in this lore-filled adventure
Oh what a relief, for a moment there I was worried this DLC wouldn't have any lore in it.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Additionally, our first expansive DLC, titled "The Beast of Winter", will be released in late July! We can't wait to share in the mysteries and stories that await you in this lore-filled adventure
Oh what a relief, for a moment there I was worried this DLC wouldn't have any lore in it.
More Hŵrpa Dŵrp, can't wait...

cpmartins

Cipher
Just give me Beast of Winter screenshots already
Holy shit yeah. The only thing I care is the actual expansion. I don't give any shits about that relationship crap or the useless upgrades and companions for the ship minigame which I completely ignored every single time I went to get free money from the bounties.

Jinn

Arcane
Does anyone have any idea what level our characters should be entering the Beast of Winter DLC at? I hope it's post game content.

Axie

Scholar
So say, should I go to Durlag's Tower before or after Ulgoth's Beard?

EDIT: Soz, wrong gaem

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
My experience with Deadfire: After switching from a regular hard disc to SDD, the loading times went down from 1-2 minutes to 5 seconds, even in Neketaka. Didn't expect the difference to be that dramatic.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
as much as I liked PoE2, releasing small-sized DLC is idiotic. who the hell picks up a mastodon game like this again for small chunks of new content? release a proper expansion! damn it!

Agreed. It would make a bit more sense if the DLCs were Throne of Bhaal style, accessible after playing the main game. Now it's likely that many people will wait until all the DLCs are released before replaying the game.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
I think at least one DLC during the main game would be good to prevent open world fatigue. There's so much content that it's easy to get burned out midway through.

Quillon

Arcane
I think at least one DLC during the main game would be good to prevent open world fatigue. There's so much content that it's easy to get burned out midway through.

Heh hee. If content had been paced right it wouldn't be easy to get burned out midway through.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Fatigue happens in every large open world game. I don't share your interest in gating content behind plot walls.

Quillon

Arcane
Fatigue happens in every large open world game.

So maybe every large open world game are(is? roxor?) not perfect and can be improved by pacing quests or in some other way?

"That thing you say is not in most other open world games so its against open world principles and shouldn't be considered in anyway, even tho all this content available at all times overwhelms me after some time."

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
The fatigue isn't from having all the content available at once, but that it mostly consists of optional sidequests, dungeons, and bounties. A 10 hour linear storyline would be refreshing midway though the game.

Quillon

Arcane
but that 90% of the content is optional sidequests, dungeons, and bounties.

Yep, that's every fucking open world game for you.

Fucking "optional content"... anything goes, could be irrelevant to everything else in the game but its optional yo! Let's fill the game with whatever bite-sized crap we can think of! Fuck pacing, its open world! forget long quest chains that sprawls through different acts, we have a main story for that already! Oh this is a really shitty idea for a quest, but it explains the boring lore of this faction, let's do that too!

Ulfhednar

Savant
Open world is the most overrated game ‘feature’ in RPGs. Early games were often linear slogs, it’s true, but life is no better at the other end of the spectrum.

Shadenuat

Arcane
That relationship window with reactions list makes it's double helpful to see how retarded the whole relationship and writing are in the game.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
See that button in the distance? You can awesome it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom