Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bringing Oblivion to greatness in 2018

Hassknecht

Learned
That actually doesn't look too bad. It probably runs like absolute dogshit, though, and CTDs even more often now.
If you polish a turd it might turn out a shinier shade of brown, but it's still a smelly turd.
Graphically I'd actually prefer a lo-fi, low-res-pixely mod since Oblivion is right in the valley between "looks fine because it's charmingly old like Quake 1" and "looks awesome because it's shiny and new", where games tried their best to look good but failed miserably while drowning everything in bloom. You can't really save the graphics, so why not go back instead and turn it into Quake 2 levels of lo-fi shit? Might actually add some charme.

Ocelot

Learned
You know what would actually be great in 2018?

A new Elder Scrolls game that's actually good without needing 100 mods on top of it.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
cbf.jpg

Squid

Arbiter
I have a lot of nostalgia for Oblivion which I could go into why and what not, but even as much as I love it as the game that got me into RPGs initially (and probably my second most played one in terms of hours), it's not the best TES game from a more critical standpoint. Why even try to argue that?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I have a lot of nostalgia for Oblivion which I could go into why and what not, but even as much as I love it as the game that got me into RPGs initially (and probably my second most played one in terms of hours), it's not the best TES game from a more critical standpoint. Why even try to argue that?

Pretty much every human being is inclined to think shit from their youth was better than shit from today, whether that's video games, movies, styles, political movements or even fucking television commercials. That's nostalgia fucking with you. You know what I say? FUCK nostalgia. Nostalgia only hurts, never helps. You gotta fight through that shit.

maxresdefault.jpg

Squid

Arbiter
Nice reference lmao. But I agree. I usually avoid things now because of nostalgia. I remember watching Ah! Real Monsters when I was younger and thinking it was a kinda cool show. My friend insisted that it was still good even after being much older and I watched it again. It was fucking terrible. I don't think things were better from when I was younger, I just know that I was more naive and enjoyed things more often than not because I didn't have much to compare it to. I still probably would like Oblivion but I know that I'd never enjoy it nearly as much as I did in middle school and early high school. I've played so many better RPGs in general it would ruin Oblivion in comparison lol.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Nice reference lmao. But I agree. I usually avoid things now because of nostalgia. I remember watching Ah! Real Monsters when I was younger and thinking it was a kinda cool show. My friend insisted that it was still good even after being much older and I watched it again. It was fucking terrible. I don't think things were better from when I was younger, I just know that I was more naive and enjoyed things more often than not because I didn't have much to compare it to. I still probably would like Oblivion but I know that I'd never enjoy it nearly as much as I did in middle school and early high school. I've played so many better RPGs in general it would ruin Oblivion in comparison lol.

Yeah it's just all a balance. Some things were genuinely good and I still like them, others I watch/play now and go "WTF is this shit?" The hardest thing for me though is accepting change and trying to take newer stuff for what it is. Like the Marvel movies... to me, as an old-school movie guy, all the CGI and Joss Whedon snark drives me up the wall. However I know those are just the modern style, and younger people today would look at Robocop or whatever and be like "what's with the fucking puppets?" You have to try and see things from a neutral perspective and then you'll realize movies like Winter Soldier are actually really good. It can be hard to do though.

Wading through this forum you really have to try and separate the old man nostalgia shit from the genuine criticism.

"Oblivion is shit but Skyrim is ossom"
t. DalekFlay

Dunno about awesome but yeah pretty much. Skyrim improved in major areas: writing, world design and level scaling. Those were critical, critical problems Oblivion had that Skyrim improved right off the bat on day one, no modding required. Also I think Skyrim's perk system is better than people give it credit for, and forces you to pigeon-hole your character. It's not perfect but it's a very enjoyable action open world RPG type thing IMO, which is the LAST thing I'd say about out-of-the-box Oblivion.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Skyrim improved in major areas: writing, world design and level scaling.
Barely, not really and I guess would be my response to those.
The writing is far from excellent but I guess it was a improvement, but only barely. I don't see how this is really a 'major area' to begin with considering that TES never had very good writing or dialogue, and Oblivion had the advantage of being more humorous than Skyrim.
The world design is IMO worse because half the towns have no reason to exist aside from guild halls and are totally boring, empty or not unique at all. A lot of the towns also don't feel anywhere near as large as they should, like the capital of Skyrim is basically smaller than Anvil in Oblivion. If all the guild halls were in one town, you could cut out Falkreath, Riften and Winterhold and the game wouldn't be much different because those towns didn't have much else in them.
You're right on level scaling but if I'm playing TES I'm going to mod it anyway, so it's essentially nullified for me.

On the other hand, I believe that the more major areas for me are quests and even having the concept of builds. Oblivion quests being better is not a myth to anybody unless you willingly ignored them, they were more engaging and original and Oblivion also had no randomly generated quests like Skyrim. Considering quests are what I will do for 95% of the time playing, I believe that's something more important to me.
Skills and making a build played a larger role in Oblivion too since the first selection of skills are what you will have to rely on for a long while until you have enough money or the ability to grind it out, in Skyrim you start everything at the same level, plus 5 to 10 points due to racial differences which means a starting build is barely a thing.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Makes me want to reinstall New Vegas and get around to updating my guide to be clutter-free.

There's a reason Oblivion and Skyrim guides are fucking huge. It's because those games suck dwarf cock. Meanwhile, The Witcher only needs ten mods tops (and only one or two would touch on the gameplay).

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Remember Tamriel Rebuilt's fabulously optimistic Hammerfell mod for Oblivion? So retarded. They made some concepts, made some assets, took years on their fanon, finally and barely releasing a tiny island mod called Stirk that nobody wanted off the coast of Cyrodiil. Somebody did it again recently for Morrowind, with the intent to recreate Cyrodiil and Skyrim in Morrowind. Stupid how they squander time on that shit instead committing to Tamriel Rebuilt.

The lesson is, Oblivion is still garbage. Don't waste your life trying to fix it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Remember Tamriel Rebuilt's fabulously optimistic Hammerfell mod for Oblivion? So retarded. They made some concepts, made some assets, took years on their fanon, finally and barely releasing a tiny island mod called Stirk that nobody wanted off the coast of Cyrodiil. Somebody did it again recently for Morrowind, with the intent to recreate Cyrodiil and Skyrim in Morrowind. Stupid how they squander time on that shit instead committing to Tamriel Rebuilt something unique and new that would get employers' attention.

FTFY.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom