Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Question about the nature skill and one specific type of crash

volklore

Arcane
I have been playing the game recently, and am enjoying it thoroughly despite the crashes. I have 2 main questions:

1) I can't seem to get the Nature skill to grow by doing. I get some pop-up by my wilderness guy during fast travel, I get them during certain sequences (tracking a thief in a cave, catching footprints in the grass etc...) but I don't think I have gotten any level up in the skill except from sp used and training.

2) The crashes are bearable because the game loads fast but this particular type of game crash when I try to enter a cave is particularly annoying (I get an appcrash error). It usually repeat a bunch of times and seem to fix itself after a while. Maybe there is a magic trick ? Did this happen to anyone else?

Thanks a bunch

volklore

Arcane
A quick self-update and precisions.

1) I got some Nature level-up finally. It seems to just level extremely slow, unless you are constantly in the wilds to get the random encounters that allow the nature skill to proc. I still have to witness anything related to the foraging of herbs or potion creation mentioned in the tooltip though.

2) The crashes happening when entering a cave seem to affect any type of area transition (between the overworld and caves, upper floors in houses, sewers... basically any area that is not loaded in the open-world). It still seems extremely moody... some time exiting or entering a cave can give me 20 crashes in a row, and then it works fine for hours before giving me the crash again - And It seems that any on these areas can be affected as I have had some areas work fine in one save and be problematic in another. THe frequency of this problems seemed to increase the later I was in the game suggesting it could be linked to some kind of save bloat ?

I am vaguely suspecting that reloading a save while in one of these indoors area might be causing these, and waiting a while (2-5) after loading a save before transitioning areas seem to have a positive effect in solving it... but these are just guesses as everything I do feels a bit like superstition and voodoo magic at this point.

Not really expecting that anybody cares much about this game these days, but it's really enjoyable and surprisingly playable for me (other bugs and crashes are relatively easily circumventable), baring this issue (2) but still hoping :<

Cazzeris

I noticed that mantaining a certain camera position prevented the crashes in almost all instances. Try zooming out as far as possible, and keep a cenital view of the area while you're inside the caves.

That trick worked for me, well enough to let me finish the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom