Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prestige Classes for ToEE

ikarinokami

Augur
would pathfinder style archtypes be possible?

deuxhero

Arcane
Whew, haven't checked this out in a while, very impressed!

Would anyone be able to tool up the Dread Necromancer base class, and/or True Necromancer PRC? You'll never guess what I'm into.

Dread Necromancer suffers from ToEE's implemenation of undead making spells. War Mage would actually be pretty decent for ToEE though. Main flaw is it can't do anything except blast, but out of combat utility is minimal in ToEE anyways.

Cassian

Barely Literate
I don't remember all the details of the class, but I remember playing an Order of the Bow Initiate in 3.5 and enjoying it. If it hasn't been mentioned already (sorry, not sure I'm up for reading all the posts, just to check), and you're still taking suggestions, my failing memory seems to indicate that it might have some potential in a game like ToEE.

IPDT_FE

Novice
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the game doesn't have any sort of chronology regarding the order in which the classes were taken. All conditions are applied simultaneously \ achronogically, correct?

I'm currently trying to implement the class ultimate magus, and for it to be added without any modifications I would need bonuses from classes to either be computed chronologically (which would probably require a lot of work for a single class) or to save the caster level values of the two arcane classes at level 4 and 7 (possibly complicated, no clue on how to add data to a save file).

Ultimately I was thinking of an alternative approach which while mainting the soul of the prestige class would actually change its wording: if I simply added 8 levels to the vancian spells class and 10 to the spontaneous during the course of the 10 levels, it would maintain the logic and soul of ultimate magus without the subtleness of the caster level checks, what do you think?

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I'm not sure I understand why you need the chronological order.
If it's required, you can access the order in which character classes were added via obj.char_classes. It returns a tuple of the class enums in the order they were taken (e.g. a level 5 bard would return (8,8,8,8,8)). This is internally stored in the obj_f_critter_level_idx field. Computing bonuses directly from that is probably not a good idea though, e.g. what happens if you have classes like Mystic Theurge? (on that note, see if that class can help you)

Other than that, I'm always in favor of simplifying when things get too hairy. Especially if it's nearly identical in effect.

IPDT_FE

Novice
Because the ultimate magus always adds a level to the class with lower base caster level, but if the bonuses are not computed chronologically then it might determine that it is now a different class to have a lower caster level, and therefore change retroactively which class gets the bonus level which would not be working as intended. It would be either necessary for the game to remember that when that level was taken which one of the classes had a lower caster level or for it to go through the levelling process every time the character is loaded, feats included since practised spellcaster influences the result of this check. I don't think this is the way it works, especially for functions like OnGetBaseCasterLevel whose result is likely computed every time it's called.

As an example you can imagine a build like this one wizard 4 / sorcerer 1 / ultimate magus 10: at this moment ultimate magus is giving 7 bonus levels to wizard and 10 to the sorcerer. If now we were to add 6 sorcerer levels the ultimate magus would now be giving 10 levels to the wizard and 7 to the sorcerer because it "forgot" in its recomputation that when the ultimate magus levels were taken, the wizard was actually the one with the highest caster level.

I've taken heavily inspiration from the mystic theurge but unfortunately it simply returns its class level since it is applied evenly between two classes. With your new piece of information it would probably be possible to retroactively compute which one of the two classes had a lower caster level when the 1st, 4th and 7th level of ultimate magus were taken and distribute the level accordingly, a quite complex solution for a possibly minor results. So ultimately I ask, should I just implement the simplified version?

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Do you recommend using the prestige classes for a first walkthrough of the game?

My only experience with DnD is IE games and a bit of Nwn2.

SwingBlade

Educated
Do you recommend using the prestige classes for a first walkthrough of the game?

My only experience with DnD is IE games and a bit of Nwn2.

Prestige classes are kind of a focus path. If you're a big nerd and into researching stuff then you'll be fine. Prestige classes are just focusing in on a theme for a character. If you are 'new' to 3/.5 then maybe play with the core classes a bit. If you're not someone who would replay the game several times, a bit of research would work then.

You're here so I reckon you're probably into obscure arcana lol

SwingBlade

Educated
Also defs recommending Dread Necro to the 'must-haves' because for real necromancers deserve representation

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I like to research, but I feel in this game is very hard because the prestige classes are a recent mod in an already obscure game.

I'm Nwn2 you have a lot of info and tools to learn to plan the character in a complicated system.

I wasn't planning to make anything super fancy. Maybe just larping assassin and weapon master.

SwingBlade

Educated
I like to research, but I feel in this game is very hard because the prestige classes are a recent mod in an already obscure game.

I'm Nwn2 you have a lot of info and tools to learn to plan the character in a complicated system.

I wasn't planning to make anything super fancy. Maybe just larping assassin and weapon master.

Most all of this stuff is in the 3.5 SRD, so just google "3.5 (PRC class name)" and you will find the D&D tabletop info for the class. afaik there wasn't a lot of modification made to adapt them to ToEE.

SwingBlade

Educated
Edit: Some of it might also be 3.0 so don't let the difference mislead you, 3.5 was basically a half-revamp of 3.0.

Endarire

Scholar
PrCs so far in ToEE are generally not inherently better than base classes. They just let you do things base classes don't, like progress 2 class features (casting and BAB/sneak attack).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom