Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Random Adventure Game News Thread

Boleskine

Arcane
I saw that yesterday. The video isn't completely terrible but the two hosts at best have a surface level knowledge of adventure games.

Also:

Xlv9JEA.png

Sizzle

Arcane
They forfeited the right to talk about adventure games the moment they claimed that nu-Telltale's "games" have puzzles.

Set off on an amazing journey through Unknown Fate, a strongly story-driven first-person adventure with many puzzles to solve and enemies to beat. Become Richard, who suddenly passes seamlessly from the real world into a surreal universe. You’ll encounter strange characters, unfamiliar artifacts and scenes resembling Richard’s former life, of which he has lost all memory. Yet, he knows that this is not where he is supposed to be. The world he has come to inhabit is strange and distant. He feels the urge to find out more about this surreal universe and the creatures inhabiting it, in order to find a way out – out and back to his real self, his real life that he knows he has yet to fully recall.

Engulfed in mystery, you take cautious steps deep into the unknown, only to have your mind swept away by yet more questions, nibbling at your grasp of what you think is real and true – your certainties will start to crumble.

With no way back and a strong urge for answers beating in your temples, you push on, striving to get a grip on the odd difficulties surrounding you, eagerly awaiting the moment your mind will become untangled when the thread of your journey finally unravels all the way. But there is some way yet to go…

“Soon you will have all the answers to your questions. But you still have so much to see…”

GAME FEATURES
  • Story-Driven Adventure: Explore a strange and surreal world as Richard seeks to find his way back to reality
  • Mind-Twisting Puzzles: Manipulate objects to uncover clues and find a way through
  • Designed for VR and PC Alike: Experience reality and unreality in a truly immersive fashion
  • Immersive Eye Tracking: Chart a trail to the answers you seek via object highlighting and environmental event triggers in non-VR mode at launch, with Tobii support also coming for VR
  • Full Controller Support: Tracked controllers, gamepad, and keyboard/mouse are all supported

Torn is a dark science-fiction mystery built for VR.

Deep in a forgotten forest, video blogger Katherine Patterson discovers an abandoned mansion, littered with strange machines and disturbing experiments. This is the home of the famed Dr. Lawrence Talbot, who went missing more than 64 years ago. This could be the story of Patterson’s career, worth millions… But when she meets Dr. Talbot in person -- still alive, trapped in another dimension, and missing his body -- Patterson realizes she was wrong. This is the story of a lifetime.

Torn opens as a narrative puzzle game as you help Talbot reactivate the mysterious machines that bring his mansion to life. Then it evolves into a dark, character-driven story as you slowly uncover the truth about Talbot, and the new dimension he calls “The Parallel.” Remember everything you see, for in Talbot’s world, truth is nothing more than the invention of the mind.

jfrisby

Cipher
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong
According to someone on Adventure Treff, Kevin Mentz, designer of Memoria & The Devil's Men has left Daedalic for Rockfish Games:

Game Designer, Kevin Mentz , Status Update:
" Started working for Rockfish Games GmbH "

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
According to someone on Adventure Treff, Kevin Mentz, designer of Memoria & The Devil's Men has left Daedalic for Rockfish Games:

Game Designer, Kevin Mentz , Status Update:
" Started working for Rockfish Games GmbH "
good, he's not going to waste his time at that dumpsite anymore

Indeed his new dumpsite is much more monocled.

Mobile Is Our Past – PC And Console Are Our Future

Our team has been working together for over ten years with our newest member(s) bringing some fresh blood to our DNA. However, if you are a PC or console only player you may not have heard of us before, but we take pride in having built one of the best mobile games studios in the world with over 30 console-style 3D mobile titles under our belt.

We have won numerous prestigious awards and with our previous studio we became “Best German Games Studio” in 2011 based on our pioneer work and continuous performance in 3D mobile gaming. Our biggest success has been the critically acclaimed space shooter series Galaxy on Fire (1, 2, Add-ons Valkyrie and Supernova) with over 30,000,000 installs on mobile devices and we couldn’t be more excited to have the core GoF team on board again.new consoles and gaming PCs we are thrilled to create outstanding gaming experiences as an independent studio built by veterans with more than ten years of joint team experience in creating space games in particular.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
O hey, mayhap it's time to investigate.

Launched game. Crashed upon hitting "new game".

Tried again. Same thing. Checked steam forum, found this:

Hi folks - so I have some good news and some bad news with regard to this crash.
Going back to our post on the 11th, we had determined that the issue here came down to something in the Unity engine.

The good news, relatively, is that we were right and I guess there's a minor win.

But the bad news is here:
https://blogs.unity3d.com/2017/07/10/deprecating-directx-9/

Bottom line is that Unity stopped supporting DirectX 9 in Unity 2017.3...and that's a deliberate decision on their part.

Prior to about a month ago we were using Unity 2017.2 which was why our Win7 builds were working just fine but we knew we'd need to update to 2018 in order to get on Xbox and PS4 and when we did there was this unintended side effect.

To all of our Windows 7 fans were really sorry because, Alas! we're unable to really make this work at this point. We have updated the game page to indicate that native DirectX 11 is now a system requirement but that'll be after the fact for those of you who have experienced this issue.

I'm told Win 7 machines CAN run DirectX11 with the right video card but that'll be on the side of the players - but for what it's worth, knowing that this is a decision Unity made it'll likely effect you sooner or later anyway and not just with our game.

I wish I had a better solve for y'all but this is what we've learned.

Although given that I have DX11 this seems like a mystery, but still. I think I'm just gonna start actively avoiding games made in Unity because there is not one that doesn't end up pissing me off.

Oh well, refund time.

Boleskine

Arcane
Ron Gilbert needs an artist.

Job Opening
help_wanted2.png

I have a (paid) art job opening for my side project. I'm not going to say much about the game other than what I'm looking for in an artist. Think of it as a puzzle.

I'm looking for a great 2D pixel tile artist. You need to have experience building tiles sheets for a tile-based game, I would prefer it if you've worked on a released game, but if haven't and your art is just a hobby and you're really good, that's OK.

I'm looking for someone that can create a very distinct art style and can help set the look and feel for the game. I'd like someone that can do more than just create art based on a task list, but rather someone that can act like a mini-art director.

Qualifications:

● You need to be able to spend 20+ hours a week working on the project for a couple of months.
● This is a PAID position, so you have to have the ability to work.
● Must have prior experience building tile sheets and tile maps (the more the better).
● Understand how to organize a tile sheet and create interconnecting reusable tiles.
● Need to be up on the "state of the art" in terms of pixel tile based games.
● Must love pixel art.

If you're interested, please contact me and include the following:

1) Your name.
2) Link to your portfolio/website/etc. It MUST include your tile work, but should also include other work to show you're a great artist beyond just tile work.
3) A list of games you've worked on.
4) Why you think you'd be awesome for this job.

I can't emphasize this enough... I want to create a very unique and interesting look for the game that goes beyond the stock 8-bit tile work out there now (not that it isn't great, just not what I'm looking for). Your portfolio doesn't have to include that new look, but it should show me you can help create it.

One last note, please don't post the above details in the comments, use the contact link.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Ron Gilbert needs an artist.

Job Opening
help_wanted2.png

I have a (paid) art job opening for my side project. I'm not going to say much about the game other than what I'm looking for in an artist. Think of it as a puzzle.

I'm looking for a great 2D pixel tile artist. You need to have experience building tiles sheets for a tile-based game, I would prefer it if you've worked on a released game, but if haven't and your art is just a hobby and you're really good, that's OK.

I'm looking for someone that can create a very distinct art style and can help set the look and feel for the game. I'd like someone that can do more than just create art based on a task list, but rather someone that can act like a mini-art director.

Qualifications:

● You need to be able to spend 20+ hours a week working on the project for a couple of months.
● This is a PAID position, so you have to have the ability to work.
● Must have prior experience building tile sheets and tile maps (the more the better).
● Understand how to organize a tile sheet and create interconnecting reusable tiles.
● Need to be up on the "state of the art" in terms of pixel tile based games.
● Must love pixel art.

If you're interested, please contact me and include the following:

1) Your name.
2) Link to your portfolio/website/etc. It MUST include your tile work, but should also include other work to show you're a great artist beyond just tile work.
3) A list of games you've worked on.
4) Why you think you'd be awesome for this job.

I can't emphasize this enough... I want to create a very unique and interesting look for the game that goes beyond the stock 8-bit tile work out there now (not that it isn't great, just not what I'm looking for). Your portfolio doesn't have to include that new look, but it should show me you can help create it.

One last note, please don't post the above details in the comments, use the contact link.

redactir (Artist Formerly Known as Prosper)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom