Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Commandos-Like Desperados III from Mimimi Productions (Shadow Tactics devs) - now with Money for the Vultures DLC

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I said for some games faggot. Obviously you never change a series main gameplay mechanics after it has been established. These Commandos style RTS games are good for what they are, if they have enough depth. If a game like this has shitty cover mechanics or limited tactical selections it isn't really worth fucking with. So what should I fucking be excited for here? A trailer? Fuck off Roxor. I love you.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Where is the "I wish this was going to be good but all experience says life is shit" button?
Did you even play Shadow Tactics, dumbass?

ShadowTactics06.jpg

You mean this dumb shit here? No. The setting does not appeal to me (in that genre) so I never played it. I was aware of it, saw the developer, and then disregarded it since...still not feeling that setting. I will TRY to like it. That is the problem these days. I shouldn't have to try to like games that appeal to me generally.

Oh I get it. I should blindly trust a developer based on their reputation. I like gameplay trailers man, sorry. A trailer with pre-rendered anything no matter who is making it will not make me jump in the air and blow my load. I respect your opinion though.

I'll put it to you this way. If Black Isle was suddenly risen from the grave with every notable Fallout dev at the helm, full rights to the franchise, and unlimited budget, and they released a trailer that just showed the same shit...I would react the same way. It has nothing to do with THEY MADE A GOOD GAME before. It has everything to do with NONE OF THESE GAMES ever fucking payoff now.

So color me a cautiously optimistic asshole. I jumped at Shadowrun Returns. I jumped at Wasteland 2. I jumped at Divinity: Original Sin. All of those games were JUST OK. Fuck man I want some fucking gameplay. I like Westerns. Hard West wasn't quite what I needed.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Officially announced:

The Wild West. A place where the law is made by those with a gun in their hands, and is enforced by the henchmen at their command. A place where death is no stranger and the undertakers are working overtime… especially when people start playing Desperados III.

This real-time tactics game, developed by German game studio Mimimi Games (Shadow Tactics: Blades Of The Shogun), lets players command a band of Desperados led by fan-favourite gunslinger John Cooper.

Desperados III will ambush your PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in 2019.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamesn.com/desperados-3/desperados-3-first-impressions

Desperados 3 is the sequel we’ve been waiting for
It's been 12 years since Desperados 2, but Desperados 3 makes the series look as fresh as the day it began

desperados_keyart.jpg

The past decade has been a testing time for fans of the Desperados and Commandos games. It’s been 12 years since Desperados 2, and 15 years since the last proper Commandos game. If you’ve been looking for a new take on that strange blend of isometric perspective, real-time tactical play, and squad of mixed ability characters the pickings have been slim.

It wasn’t until 2015’s Shadow Tactics that, finally, another developer took on the mantle, throwing samurais at the underserved genre. And now that same developer, Mimimi Productions, is staging a larger comeback, having sneaked into THQ Nordic’s licensing department, and climbing into the Desperados saddle.

Slated for release next year, Mimimi is working on a full Desperados sequel: Desperados 3. We’ve seen it in action and it’s gloriously familiar, like getting a new bowl of Spaghetti Western.

CHARACTERS OLD AND NEW
The Desperados games stood apart from the Commandos series by putting its characters in the limelight – while Commandos had a varied cast of heroes, you never learned much about who they were. Desperados, on the other hand, told the story of gunslinger Cooper, and the likes of explosives expert Sam Williams, safecracker physician Doc McCoy, and gambler Kate O’Hara.

Desperados 3 won’t bring them all back, but Cooper will, at least, be on your team once again. He returns with his six shooter, silent throwing knives, and the classic coin flip – a tool to lure guards away from their post.

Joining Cooper is a new character, a Mexican trapper Hector who lugs around a giant bear trap on his back that, with the help of a whistle or Cooper’s coin toss, can lure enemies into its metal teeth.

Over the course of the game you’ll fill out your team with five members, each of them bringing a powerful set of abilities.

WIDE OPEN LEVELS
We’re shown two levels of Desperados 3 and they’re both vast and richly detailed. The first is a classic frontier town – there’s the familiar thin wooden frame buildings, steepled church, cattle pen, and, of course, a brothel. This isn’t a series to lean away from stereotypes. Many of the buildings are covered in scaffold because, straight through the centre of town, men are building a railroad. They’re tearing down what looks like homes and general stores to make way for the train, and judging by the incidental dialogue of the NPCs populating the streets, no one is happy about this.

That’s why you’re in town, to kill McBane – the man behind all this construction. He’s not the only target on the list, there’s also the cattle rancher Jarvis, and the owner of the brothel.

While the town is a single level you’ll need to take out these three targets, each found in different corners of the settlement. All three are heavily guarded and, while your team can hold their own in a fight, it’s made extremely difficult to take on in a full-frontal attack. Instead, it’s down to you to unravel the defences surroundings these targets and find a way to pierce through to the heart of their strongholds.

In the case of the brothel owner, she’s hidden away upstairs behind guards and girls who will set off the alarm if they spot anyone who shouldn’t be there. We instead break in through the yard behind the brothel. Our desperados have to stay out of sight by keeping low and moving from push to bush. You can click on any NPC in the game world to show their sweeping vision cone. The cone is split into two segments, if you walk into the half closest to the NPC you’ll be spotted immediately, but if you crouch walk through the more distant half then you can pass through unseen.

Sometimes you can’t just slip past everyone, though, and will have to take out some of the guards. You can use Cooper and Hector’s more violent tools, or opt instead to simply sneak up behind and punch them, knocking the hired muscle out cold. Tie them up, hide them in a bush (or throw them down a well) to keep them out of sight of their companions.

The desperados sneak through the yard and, rather than enter the brothel directly, kill the owner in a full-on attack. After, they enter the kitchen downstairs, and dose the brandy barrel with laudanum. We heard from the girls talking loudly on the balcony in the main street in front of the brothel that the owner is a heavy drinker. Poisoning the barrel is a way to take out the owner quietly and without raising too much suspicion. It all feels a little Hitman and that’s no bad thing.

The second level was in a less polished state but it was significantly larger, requiring a full team of desperados to tackle. Set in a Mississippi swamp, you’ll have to consider environment effects like footprints and splashing footsteps that draw attention when moving around. The level is so large that your team enter the space and split up, arriving from different entrances, needing to join up after sneaking and fighting through a lot of guards.

Desperados 3 is due out next year so there’s still a ways to go before we can slip into our old hat and cowboy boots, but the series is in safe hands with Mimimi. We’re a big fan of the Desperados series and what we saw looked like a natural sequel. With the news that Kalypso has picked up the Commandos games for a new sequel, we’re finally seeing refreshed life in this odd subgenre of real-time tactical games.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://desperadosgame.com/

The Desperados‘ first adventure
Desperados III is a modern real-time tactics game set in a ruthless Wild West scenario.

You take control of a ragtag band becoming a highly functional group of unlikely heroes and heroines. The very different strong personalities struggle to cooperate at first, but ultimately join forces to combine their distinctive specialties and challenge a seemingly superior foe.
  • Command up to five Desperados and use their lethal skills to stealthily thin out the enemy rows
  • Approach each mission with a big variety of different solutions and paths
  • Resolve seemingly impossible setups with careful planning and perfectly timed
  • Witness the glory of classic Wild West scenarios by day and night
  • Defeat your foes choosing between deadly and non-lethal options, stealth and blazing guns
  • Adjust the game to your playstyle with various difficulty settings and special replayability challenges
This game is heavily inspired by the first game of the franchise, Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive and is being developed by Mimimi Games.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh boy. I think I would have prefered a new setting, but this is exciting news nonetheless. I wonder to what extent will they bring back the gunplay since that element was kinda absent in Shadow Tactics.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I just want to jump up in the office and shout "FUUUUUCCCCKKK YYYEEEAHHHH" like a madman! This is such a great news, one of my favourite game is the first Desperados, and seeing what the devs achieved with the shogun themed game, I know it is in the right hands.
:hype:

7h30n

Augur
Desperados 3? Helldorado? :hahano:

Oh well, I haven't played Shadow Tactics yet so I don't know how hopeful should I be. But anyways, original Desperados was one of the best it would be amazing if we got a good Desperados game again!

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I would've accepted Commandos 4 as well, but this is damn good news regardless and familiar characters seem to be in. It's also going to be an uphill battle to match those gorgeous pre-rendered backgrounds original had, though. Current look doesn't exactly come off as that well suited the way Shogun's pixel one did.

desperados-wanted-dead-or-alive-docs-hanging.jpg

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
After initial hype I feel a bit disappointed. Firstly, while the idea behind the trailer is good (the whole savescumming simulation), the art isn't, especially characters who are fugly. Not ugly but fucking ugly. What's worse they all look like clones, the only difference is in the width and length of their faces (and the amount of hair). They're basically walking rectangles hewn here and there. What's more, the only woman there looks like a teenage girl with a down syndrome and all of the guys look like some bandits or other rapists.

Compare this trailer with cinematics in Desperados or Shadow Tactics:
O3lBx5I.jpg
Shadow Tactics is just perfect and Desperados one might be even better considering the time it was done. But this new Kaiji style I don't dig and I miss the good old simple and plain.

Also, while I appreciate the premise of the trailer it triggers me when I see someone like John Cooper acting so stupidly, even if it is by the hands of some retarded gamer in one of the variations. The real Desperados trailer should show how invincible Cooper's band is, period. They're like scores of Clint Eastwoods with Jackie Chan on top.

As for the gameplay, I'm not impressed either, it looks way too similar to Shadow Tactics.

Bear trap is just a bigger version of Yuki's trap (or that guy from Commandos which I don't remember) only this time it's much more stupid because of its size. How the fuck would anyone walk into a trap of this size is beyond me. Not to mention that it would be way harder to modify it in a way it would trigger unless you would have a mass of a bear. And once someone would walk into it it would be so messy (and noisy, the bear trap clenching would be super noisy and add screams to that) that an alarm would be imminent with a frantic search for a monster who would have done it (it's a different case when you have a dead guy with no trace of blood and you have no idea WTF happened but when you see guts and blood everywhere you go into panic mode and shoot everything that moves). And seriously, walking around with something as big on your back would be problematic on so many levels. Why not use something that already works (like Sam's snake)?

Coin toss is also way worse than Cooper's watch, not only because of a timer (which added a bit of "tactical nuance" as RPS guy said) but also because a coin like that wouldn't make much of a sound if it would land on a soil or some other soft ground (like a grass). Unless the game would take details like that into account (which is doubtful) and make it useless in some situations it will be a change for the much worse.

The rest isn't impressive either so we can forget about some interesting new ideas. Now it all comes down to missions and maps, if they will be varied and interestingly set up it might be a worthy successor of Shadow Tactics but I can already see that Desperados will still be the king.

BTW the RPS journalists seems to not be aware that Desperados also had synchronized Quick Actions (he only mentioned Desperados 2).

Big Wrangle

this new Kaiji style
Terrible comparison; Kaiji uses the exaggerated look for surrealism to illustrate the psycological state of the characters, but still has a charm and can be rather stylish at times due to having sharper angles. It seems to me they were trying to take some cues from the Robin Hood game in terms of aesthetics, but they didn't quite nail it. But yeah, the cinematic for Shadow Tactics looks much better.

Last edited by a moderator:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Desperados 3? Helldorado? :hahano:

Oh well, I haven't played Shadow Tactics yet so I don't know how hopeful should I be. But anyways, original Desperados was one of the best it would be amazing if we got a good Desperados game again!
There never was a Desperados 3, so why wouldn't they call it Desperados 3? :roll:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I think what he might be trying to say is that the game Helldorado was an unofficial Desperados 3 and sometimes called that (try doing a Google search for Desperados 3 excluding results from the last two days and see what you find)

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
After initial hype I feel a bit disappointed. Firstly, while the idea behind the trailer is good (the whole savescumming simulation), the art isn't, especially characters who are fugly. Not ugly but fucking ugly. What's worse they all look like clones, the only difference is in the width and length of their faces (and the amount of hair). They're basically walking rectangles hewn here and there. What's more, the only woman there looks like a teenage girl with a down syndrome and all of the guys look like some bandits or other rapists.

Compare this trailer with cinematics in Desperados or Shadow Tactics:
O3lBx5I.jpg
Shadow Tactics is just perfect and Desperados one might be even better considering the time it was done. But this new Kaiji style I don't dig and I miss the good old simple and plain.
Jesus, the petty shit people complain about.
First, the trailer. It's a fucking trailer. Stylish yes, but so what? I understand that you liked the original style better, I did too to be honest. But it is not true at tall that they are ugly, or they look like clones, or they look like rectangles. By the way, the picture you posted above shows that the new Cooper face actually looks much better than the first Cooper, who looks like he has Down syndrome. But the new woman modell is worse, I give you that.

Also, while I appreciate the premise of the trailer it triggers me when I see someone like John Cooper acting so stupidly, even if it is by the hands of some retarded gamer in one of the variations. The real Desperados trailer should show how invincible Cooper's band is, period. They're like scores of Clint Eastwoods with Jackie Chan on top.
The original trailer showed a short story, to establish the mood. This trailer showed the viewer all the different scenarios an action can play out, introducing the players to the style of game. John Cooper acts as clever and as stupid as the player wants, don't talk about him like a living character who has a predefinied behaviour.

As for the gameplay, I'm not impressed either, it looks way too similar to Shadow Tactics.
Which is awesome.

Bear trap is just a bigger version of Yuki's trap (or that guy from Commandos which I don't remember) only this time it's much more stupid because of its size. How the fuck would anyone walk into a trap of this size is beyond me. Not to mention that it would be way harder to modify it in a way it would trigger unless you would have a mass of a bear. And once someone would walk into it it would be so messy (and noisy, the bear trap clenching would be super noisy and add screams to that) that an alarm would be imminent with a frantic search for a monster who would have done it (it's a different case when you have a dead guy with no trace of blood and you have no idea WTF happened but when you see guts and blood everywhere you go into panic mode and shoot everything that moves). And seriously, walking around with something as big on your back would be problematic on so many levels. Why not use something that already works (like Sam's snake)?
Coin toss is also way worse than Cooper's watch, not only because of a timer (which added a bit of "tactical nuance" as RPS guy said) but also because a coin like that wouldn't make much of a sound if it would land on a soil or some other soft ground (like a grass). Unless the game would take details like that into account (which is doubtful) and make it useless in some situations it will be a change for the much worse.
And how does Doc McCoy have all that helium with him all the time? Why doesn't Sam's snake escape once he puts it down? Can you really lure people from their guard duty with a poker card on the ground? These are gamey skills and gamey items, we can argue about each and every one of them if they are portraid realistically.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
I think what he might be trying to say is that the game Helldorado was an unofficial Desperados 3 and sometimes called that (try doing a Google search for Desperados 3 excluding results from the last two days and see what you find)
I figured out that much. I'm just teasing him that technically there is nothing wrong calling this Desperados 3 since there was no game by that name *officially*.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom