Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1.07 patch detailed (stash, movement weight, inventory sorting, new cat, horse penis enlargement)

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
The horse is completely useless. Since there are so many travel points, you don't have to travel very big distances and even when you do it's much less of a hassle, and faster, to go on foot through the woods instead of following the road with the horse. Increasing speed is also useless since you have to navigate serpentine paths with a horse that moves like a boat and you usually hit some rocks or trees and stumble. Mounted combat is a joke.

What a fucking letdown. I wish they'd learned a couple of things from Red Dead Redemption.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
The horse is completely useless. Since there are so many travel points, you don't have to travel very big distances and even when you do it's much less of a hassle, and faster, to go on foot through the woods instead of following the road with the horse. Increasing speed is also useless since you have to navigate serpentine paths with a horse that moves like a boat and you usually hit some rocks or trees and stumble. Mounted combat is a joke.

What a fucking letdown. I wish they'd learned a couple of things from Red Dead Redemption.
Good thing the patch improves horse behavior then...

I really couldn't disagree more. I hate fast travel aka. instant free teleporting, but the horse makes it all but optional, allowing you to get from one end of the map to the other in a matter of minutes. I don't know what you're even going on about with the "navigating serpentine paths" thing, as you can take a beeline through the woods instead of following the road just fine. Yes, the horse might sometimes get stuck on some rock or root, but especially the Velen/Novigrad area is so flat that you can use the horse pretty much everywhere. Skellige is more about exploration on foot and by boat, and the latter definitely does make me miss Roach quite a lot.

Mounted combat is borderline gamebreaking, especially with the Nekker Warrior Decoction.

Don't know about Red Dead Redemption because no PC version (lots of people seem to love it), but maybe I just found Roach tolerable because riding it doesn't feel like driving a very slow car, it remotely acts like an animal instead of a robot and it doesn't run into battle on its own to get itself killed or to kill everything for you. The bar wasn't exactly very high.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I want a fix for the retarded scarcity of red mutagens. I am only lvl 9 and im swimming in blue and green mutagens. Red? Yeah, tough luck, bro.

Gerrard

Arcane
I hope they will also fix trolls drinking problem - from 10 or so killed I extracted only one healthy liver. And I need it as badly as Ekkimara hides.
When was the last time you actually played the game? They changed the alchemy recipes.

The horse is completely useless. Since there are so many travel points, you don't have to travel very big distances and even when you do it's much less of a hassle, and faster, to go on foot through the woods instead of following the road with the horse.
Because you cannot ride your horse through the woods? You realize that you can ride the horse anywhere and don't have to follow a road, right? You realize that you can jump over obstacles, right?

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
When was the last time you actually played the game? They changed the alchemy recipes.
I just finished the game yesterday and managed to brew everything except superior ogroid oil because I found close to no livers.
Getting troll livers was more annoying than getting White Gull liquors or Balisse Fruit, because at least you can buy those in the endgame when you're rich as fuck anyway as long as you find the right vendors (which was a bit of hassle too).

To be fair though, I spared most of the trolls I found that don't attack you on sight.

Beowulf

Arcane
I hope they will also fix trolls drinking problem - from 10 or so killed I extracted only one healthy liver. And I need it as badly as Ekkimara hides.

Yesterday - you are talking perhaps about the hides, and that would be true, but I still need troll livers for some higher tier oils.

I just finished the game yesterday and managed to brew everything except superior ogroid oil because I found close to no livers.
Getting troll livers was more annoying than getting White Gull liquors or Balisse Fruit, because at least you can buy those in the endgame when you're rich as fuck anyway as long as you find the right vendors (which was a bit of hassle too).

To be fair though, I spared most of the trolls I found that don't attack you on sight.

I spared most that have some conversation options, but those troll in caves and ruins in Skellige drop hides, or no ingredients at all (e.g. Faroe Island trolls).

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
I spared most that have some conversation options, but those troll in caves and ruins in Skellige drop hides, or no ingredients at all (e.g. Faroe Island trolls).
It's probably just random and they need to up the chance a bit because it's a fairly uncommon enemy.
Although I guess one could just try to farm them if it's possible to get them to respawn, e.g. by going back and forth between Skellige and some other map...
Hmm... Where exactly are these trolls you mention? :P

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Farm troll livers.
TrollMap.jpg

1) kill troll
2) quicksave
3) reload
4) meditate 1 hour
5) goto 1)

White gull liquor can be crafted, you don't need to buy it.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Farm troll livers.
:brodex: Thanks dude.
White gull liquor can be crafted, you don't need to buy it.
I mean the liquors that make up the White Gull formula. I don't recall ever finding any mandrake/cherry cordial and ran out of redanian herbal very quickly once I just started buying the others.
Meanwhile, I sold 200+ dwarven liquors and still had 100+ to spare afterwards.

Unless you meant those can be crafted, then I just never found those diagrams I guess. I am missing some oil diagrams too I think, since not all are top quality but haven't found a shop that sells them and haven't found any diagrams in the wild for aaaaaaages.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I want a fix for the retarded scarcity of red mutagens. I am only lvl 9 and im swimming in blue and green mutagens. Red? Yeah, tough luck, bro.
Good luck, I only completed my second greater red mutagen at level 22. Only alghouls seem to drop it with a decent chance

Beowulf

Arcane
I mean the liquors that make up the White Gull formula. I don't recall ever finding any mandrake/cherry cordial [...]

Barkeep in Kaer Trolde sells them. Some herbalists and barkeeps also sell mandrake cordial on Skellige.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Innkeepers sell infinite amount of white gull materials, you just have to close the store and open again. The one at the Inn at the Crossroads in Velen does, at least

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Barkeep in Kaer Trolde sells them. Some herbalists and barkeeps also sell mandrake cordial on Skellige.
Innkeepers sell infinite amount of white gull materials, you just have to close the store and open again. The one at the Inn at the Crossroads in Velen does, at least
Sure sure, I just meant it's silly that you can pretty much only buy them, while you find metric fucktons of dwarven liquor just lying around everywhere. Redanian herbal also seemed like it was rarely sold, while the others were sold pretty much everywhere.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I don't think it's silly in itself, as those are luxury items of sorts and neither Redanian Herbal nor Nilfgaardian Lemon probably is all that popular in certain parts of the world, for various reasons. In general I think that buying alcohol and creating your own alchemical mixtures should be in a bigger role, as White Gull is the only thing you really have to make yourself and even that is only required for a small number of potions towards the end of the game. Instead of having a magical distillate like Alcohest lying around everywhere, the stuff you find should mostly be of a weaker variety, like Temerian Rye or some other cheap vodka that makes for a poor potion base, with maybe the occasional bottle of Dwarven Spirit lying about every once in a while. That'd also make it much more rewarding to discover a bandit camp or a smuggler's cache full of stolen, expensive alcohol.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
The Witcher 1 did alchemy right. Make it usefull (or even mandatory for dangerous fights) and make it something you had to genuinly prepare for. I don't really mind the way it is implemented here but can't help but think they already done it right the first time.

Hope we'll see the patch soon. I'm curious to their additions and changes.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I don't really mind the way it is implemented here but can't help but think they already done it right the first time.
That's because they did.

I don't mind alchemy in TW3 either. It's pretty nonsensical in some ways but overall much better than TW2's alchemy, which was just a dumbed-down and watered-down version of the great system of TW1. One good thing about it is that you don't need to get obsessive about hoarding alchemy ingredients, which could be devastating in an open-world game.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
Speaking of alchemy, I never got over the fact that they nerfed it into the ground in TW2. [Creaturetype] oil dealt 100% extra damage in TW1, and that was changed to 10%. FUCKING TEN PERCENT, ARE YOU SERIOUS!?!? And don't even get me started on the useless bombs. Reasons for this are obvious: meta-game balanced moved away from pre-battle alchemy preparations in favor of the action combat. Not a bad thing per-se, except for the fact that the "action combat" in TW2 is utter shit. TW3 took steps on the right direction. Improved oils deal way more damage and the action combat, this time around, is somewhat decent.

Beowulf

Arcane
Well, but in W2 you still needed to prepare beforehand. Now you really don't have to because everything is instantaneous , and in some tougher fights you have to go to the menu to drink more potions/ refill oils because their effects can wear down before you down a single enemy (when you have just basic, short lasting recipes). And I don't think it is a step in the right direction.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
Well, but in W2 you still needed to prepare beforehand. Now you really don't have to because everything is instantaneous , and in some tougher fights you have to go to the menu to drink more potions/ refill oils because their effects can wear down before you down a single enemy (when you have just basic, short lasting recipes). And I don't think it is a step in the right direction.

Yeah, extra alchemy duration will probably be one of the first mods I'm gonna install when Redkit comes out. I agree that nerfing potion duration was a shit move, and something you forgot but is also shitty: limiting to 2 potions severely reduces one's options. But the "preparation" mechanic was unique to TW2 (TW1 allowed you to use potions during combat) and it was utter shite, because your "preparation" was usually wasted during cutscenes. Being unable to use potions in combat is NOT an improvement.

EDIT: AAAAAND looks like the patch isn't coming out this week. Oh well... :(

Last edited:

Beowulf

Arcane
[...] and something you forgot but is also shitty: limiting to 2 potions severely reduces one's options.
I have not forgotten it, I just grew to tolerate and use it as it is, so I walk with food and water in quickslots to replenish health loss from falling, jumping and lov-level monster respawns. And when I hit something big I go to the menu and drink what I want and apply oils, seldom equipping elixirs for those quicklsots for a really tough fight. I used to juggle them anticipating various encounters but I grew to tired of that, as it was too time consuming.

But the "preparation" mechanic was unique to TW2 (TW1 allowed you to use potions during combat) and it was utter shite, because your "preparation" was usually wasted during cutscenes. Being unable to use potions in combat is NOT an improvement.
About the cutscenes - that sucked big hairy balls big time. But now they have taken it to the extreme opposite, which is also incoherent in execution.
I was playing through the Battle
of Kaer Morhen
last night. I drunk few decoctions, then I had the character switcharoo rulette, and when I was back in control of Geralt the decoctions were gone (their time didn't expire, my character was just loaded "clean" for a new stage). So I drunk a couple more decoctions. Which lasted till the end of the battle and for a few days worth of storyline skipped due to more cutscenes ;)
But I digress - I don't like the idea of using potions mid high paced combat, but I could live with that even, if they gave him some animation for that. It's just that I have this image of Geralt from the short stories that elixirs are a part of the preparation before combat, but here it's so dumbed down - I think even Angry Joe pokes fun at that, eating something while playing with swords.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
They fucked up the cat potion in TW2 and it still sucks in TW3. In the original Witcher the cat potion let you see in the dark but your seeing in bright areas was unhampered. Now as soon as you come out of the cave you have to rest to get rid of the visual effect because it's unbearable.
The duration of potions like tawny owl or cat were 8 hours in TW1. Swallow was still 2 hours. A sword oil like Argentia or something (+60% silver sword damage) would last for a whopping 24 hours.
I think they've nerfed it all down because they introduced a new alchemy skill tree in TW2. Putting your points there will make alchemy fairly powerful, so the general alchemy effects had to be nerfed. One could argue this makes the char system more RPGish because it gives you an additional way to build a character, I dunno lol.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom