Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

10 games a year

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
These Steam/GoG bargains got me back to thinking about my childhood when I was much more constrained in how much software I was allowed to buy and wondered if I could do it again; there were years where I had to rely on the same 5-10 or so games before getting a new hardware and an excuse to purchase more.

What does everyone else think. If you were only allowed to play 10 games a year to completion, would it work for you?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
10 games a year? I had like 2-3... one for birthday, one for Christmas and luckily another one if my brother also asked for a game for birthday...

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Back when all I had a mega drive I only owned like 10 games total. I'd just rent stuff every saturday.

Then I get a PC and discover emulation and software piracy R$5/disc oh god its heavan

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
I relied on the fact that my local library rented out games for £1 for a week. Including PC games that you only had to install and never use the CD again. I don't think they ever caught on. I certainly didn't tell them.

I missed out on getting into real good games by a hair, though :( kept turning down Divine Divinity because of the stupid title and cover, avoided HoMM because I didn't like the look of it, the Anachronox disc was scratched, the Ultima Online serial had been used (which is obvious now but confused me at the time)... at least I never did try renting Drakan: Order of the Flame. Close call there.

:Flash:

Arcane
I only got a game for Christmas once. It was a pirated game on three floppies.
The best cheap Christmas present I ever got. :D

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Excluding the unfinishable games and multi?

And no, I will not focus on some crappy/boring/bad deals games from my library because some idiots can't control themselfs and born some inane ideas "how you should act today".

Speaking about past - they should consider abandoning games. Yes, that happening even when you was younger, got more time and less games.

And you can hide games in your library, just use that nut under skull.

EDIT
about buying games in my begining of gaming - gaming magazines in potatoland were forced to put CD/DVD with full games, demos and other junkies to get decent sales. My main source of legal games (some really cool gems you could get here, almost imposible to get in retail) until 2011 when I get some cheap games for Steam, and convinced to make account in it.

Last edited:

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
must have gottn 2 or 3 a year tops. my uncle gave ne those Twilight warez cd's though

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Before I finished school and got a job I rarely bought a original game, maybe once per year. There few problems with buying original games here, they were very expensive for standards of people who were still reeling from the war, there was limited places where you could buy a game, closes to me was in capitol of Zagreb to which my family didnt go very often, and limited information about games, so even if you go to a store you wouldnt know what to buy. It was easier with pirates, beause they were so cheap and you buy bunch of games at once so even if half of them is shit it still pays off. But one time I got a jackpot in store, there were bunch of bundles on sale, there were like dozen of them and they all looked great. After drooling for half a hour and choosing what to get I bought one box, half a year later I got another one. Unfortunately later they pulled them from sale.

jXfAOgO9P24cX.jpg

3-D Ultra Pinball: Creep Night
A-10 Cuba!
Caesar II
Creature Shock
Earthworm Jim
Genewars
Heroes of Might and Magic
Missionforce: Cyberstorm
Road Rash
U.S. Navy Fighters

jicNYEpTYaWvg.jpg

Circle of Blood
iM1A2 Abrams
Jack Nicklaus 4
Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games
Master of Orion II: Battle at Antares
MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat
Return to Zork
Screamer 2
SimCity 2000 Network Edition

Needless to say while both boxes had few shitty games, they also had several great ones. Those purchases brought me immense amount of fun and shaped my taste in games.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i remember these times. but now i look at my >500 games in my steam library and feel much better :smug:

Though my collection of about a hundred and fifty boxed games does look cooler than steam profile, unfortunately i can't take them along with me wherever i live and they stay at my parents' basement :M

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Oh yeah there were also the magazines that came with full games, p. much every major game just 2 or so years after release. It's how I got Fallout 2 and Deus Ex for example. It was ridiculously cheap for the time, actually cheaper than buying on GOG nowadays. :M

To be honest I never really ran out of games once I got a computer. Shit I actually played more games than I do now.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
this is a good topic

In early 90s I had a Dendy (it was a Chinese NES clone which was the only available option in Russia, there was even a TV show)
1186961351_dendy.jpg
suponev1.jpg

I got some games like Darkwing Duck, Battletoads etc, but they were way too hard to complete!

Later my father bought me a SNES (I even couldn't dream about this kind of console). It was 1994 or 1995.

I had some cool games (mostly fightings - I loved them back in the days!) like Donkey Kong Country, Killer Instinct, MK II & Ultimate, Rise of the Robots (I especially loved this one because it was rare and it was some kind of fake-3D graphics)
Rise_of_the_Robots_SNES_ScreenShot4.gif

In 1997 I got my first PC. One of my first games was a boxed copy of
NED+1.jpg

I loved the game! I loved the series, I pretty much played everything I could and didn't bother with genres as long as we had very limited offer of official games and a HUGE variety of pirated stuff with some err creative translations and very cheap price. It was like 10 times lower than the licensed games. I still own some of the CDs just for good memories.
J44M.jpg

Somewhere in 1998 I bought Fallout 1 as a BD present for my friend, I didn't know that it was an RPG, I just liked the appearance of the game and isometric perspective.
I got caught by it and that's how I started playing RPGs.

So back to the topic: I usually followed 2-3 games a year and didn't bother by anything else in early 00s, but then Steam sales came, I bought some useless stuff, didn't play it and now I'm trying to get back to playing fewer games. I buy some side stuff during sales, but it's mostly some short games with interesting concept like Limbo or Brothers.

But what will I do when Incline of 2014/2015 will be unleashed??????
:negative:

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
My parents wouldn't buy me games or consoles. So, I saved up for a couple years to get an NES, at the age of 7. Typically I bought 1-2 games a year, but usually just rented a game on weekends.

Didn't really get absorbed into games until I saved up enough to buy my first computer, when i graduated highschool.

Today, games are dirt cheap so I buy several a year. Still wouldn't have more than 40 total if it weren't for the beg thread. :P

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I wish I still had time to play 10 games a year.

I might not have been making my logic clear; I meant years plural I was playing the same 5-10 games. For example, in the early 2000s it was Neverwinter Nights and Warcraft III plus a handful of PS2 games and whatever old SNES/NG4 games still interested me. The key point is that over time a few of them would drop off my play list and would be replaced by one or two new games during Holidays.

As opposed to now, where I can buy 10-20 games off GOG and Steam on sale for the same amount of money Donkey Kong Country cost -- like 80 bucks or something.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
Yes, if the games were as good as 90s classics. Some lengthy turn based RPGs and a strategy/turn based tactics game or two and a few platformers, point&click adventures and a challenging shmup or a fighting game on the side and maybe an online FPS game. Perfect balance. Though chances are that I'd run out of things to play in 6-10 months, I doubt I'd be willing to become competitive at a fighting game/FPS game or try to 1 CC a bullet hell at this point of my life when I've become used to buying 100+ physical games a year+warez/abandonia/emulators.
In early 90s I had a Dendy (it was a Chinese NES clone which was the only available option in Russia, there was even a TV show)
suponev1.jpg
That's a damn cool looking set, I miss stuff like that from the 90s. Why is there a Mega Drive and a SNES controller (and a gameboy) if it's a show dedicated to Famicom games?
Btw Rise of the Robots is utter shit. It's style over substance to the max, and the 3D graphics (or atleast the animations) have aged a lot more poorly than those of well made 2D fighters of the day. And to be honest, KOF 94 (same year) and Kabuki Klash (a year later) looked better even back in the day in my opinion.

Last edited:

Drew

Savant
If I had to pick 10...

Football Manager
Mount and Blade Warband
Fallout: New Vegas
Xenonauts
Baldur's Gate 2: EE
Command and Conquer Tiberian Sun Firestorm
Roller Coaster Tycoon Deluxe/Gold w/e
Counter Strike
Defense Grid

Well, that's 9 at least. Might add BG1 in there if I had to pick a tenth right now.

I think, given that list, I could last a few years or so if I absolutely had to.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Kerbal Space Program
League of Legends
Xenonauts
Football Manager
Dwarf Fortress
Civilization 4
Dawn of War
Wargame Airland Battle
Crusader Kings II
Unreal Tournament 2004

Should be enough to keep me entertained for a couple of years.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
They don't even make ten games a year worth playing anymore so its not an issue for me. I can only think of a couple that I'm 'kinda' looking forward to.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom