Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

10 games a year

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
In early 90s I had a Dendy (it was a Chinese NES clone which was the only available option in Russia, there was even a TV show)
suponev1.jpg
That's a damn cool looking set, I miss stuff like that from the 90s. Why is there a Mega Drive and a SNES controller (and a gameboy) if it's a show dedicated to Famicom games?
Btw Rise of the Robots is utter shit. It's style over substance to the max, and the 3D graphics (or atleast the animations) have aged a lot more poorly than those of well made 2D fighters of the day. And to be honest, KOF 94 (same year) and Kabuki Klash (a year later) looked better even back in the day in my opinion.
Basically it was a show about Famicom games, BUT we didn't have Famicom consoles in Russia, we only had a Chinese clone named Dendy, it was very popular/advertised on TV etc.
classic2_2a.jpg

The show was called "Dendy - the new reality". Oh, and it contained some info about SNES, Sega Mega Drive II and Gameboy games and the anchorman moved to other gamepad table when he started to tell about the games from different console according to what that console was.
By the way later he died in an ATV crush and the show was no more:(

Yeah, I know Rise of the Robots is bad, but I couldn't figure it out when I was a kid. I liked the pseudo-3D and the whole thing about robots fighting. And I found out about the game on this show.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
Dendy has a Famicom type cartridge slot (and the first model is even designed like a Famicom) so you can practically categorize it's games as Famicom games

There are couple of (poorly) translated episodes of that show in youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wzg3GQpRHLg&t=1m57s
Some one changed Sonics sprite with Mario and called it a new game? Seems legit. Though it actually looks more like the Master System ports of Sonic than the actual 16-bit games even though it's a Super Famicom cartridge

I still don't play that many games a year. Some people love going through a ton of games, for the feeling of achievement or to try new stuff constantly, me, I prefer to find a few games I can sink a lot of time into.

The thing I miss about my early gaming days, though, is the sense of freshness, mystery and exploring a totally new medium. Pretty much any new game I got back then was so exciting and full of possibilities. You go to a physical store, peruse the shelves, find some large box that catches your attention, check out the beautiful box art, buy it, bring it home, read the huge book-sized manual while getting more and more excted, install the game, discover new genres and gameplay. That stuff is pretty much impossible for me now, as by the time a game is released these days, every relatively hardcore gamer knows everything about it, has read a ton of previews and so on. And having played so many, now it's much easier to see flaws in them than to have your mind blown by something totally new. Ignorance IS bliss.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
That's a BS thing about the modern game development "culture", by the time a game is released you know everything about it with out ever even playing it. Especially now that people are playing beta versions of games that haven't even come out yet and decide that they're big disappointments. Nothing you can do about the internet but developers should take responsibility too and not spill out too much details before release

Games are ubiquitous now so they are no longer as enjoyable as they were in the past.

Limitation is the key.

As far as I remember the most satysfying gaming period was when I used to play at arcades (1-2 coins sessions, 2-3 times per week).

Melcar

Arcane
I was poor for most of my childhood, so the only games I got where presents. Usually one for my birthday and maybe two more for Christmas. So I usually only had 2-3 new games per year that I would play and play.
Now arcades, that was a different story. While I never had much money of my own to buy games, I did have enough to spend hours and ours at the arcades. Arcades were still big in the early and mid 90's, so I had a blast.
Nowadays I'm poor (again) and don't have a lot of free time. Not many games out there that are worth buying (or even not removing). Arcades are dead. My life sucks.

Machocruz

Arcane
The 10 Games of Forever

PC: Dwarf Fortress, Deus Ex, X-Com:UD, Doom 2, Morrowind.

Console: Super Metroid, Shadow of the Colossus, Perfect Dark, some Capcom fighter (probably Alpha 2 or MvC2), Dark Souls.

These are 10 I could work with for years.

Swappable alts include Metroid Prime, Alpha Centauri, Hordes of the Underdark, Legacy of the Wizard or Shadowgate for dat nostalgia/dat music, a couple rogue-likes (mainly Cataclysm and Stone Soup), a few shmups, a Zelda game.

I rarely buy or play any games to completion anymore. I'm fine with being a filthy pirate and sampling no more than a couple of hours of most games. I only bought Dark Arisen last year, and I'll probably only buy Divinity and Routine this year.

handup

Educated
For a large part of our childhoods my brother and I did not have a computer, but when I was 5, or something similar, we bought a second hand NES. Since there videogames were expensive as fuck at the time and you couldn't pirate games unless you had a friend in the know, we had to make do with the cartridges given to us by the previous owner. These games were Duck Hunt and Tetris. These would be the only games we played for like 2 years or so.

Then, when my brother turned 16, our parents bought him a personal computer. The IT guy, who set our computer up, gave us like a stack-full of floppy disks. In those floppies were around 50 or so PC games, mostly copied off game magazine's CDs. Among those games I remember Doom, Fatal Fight, Hercules the videogame, Red Alert 1&2, Curse of Monkey Island. And my brother also started buying those magazines, trying to get as many cheap games as possible. That's how we got Hitman, Dead or Alive, Need for Speed, HoMM 2,3 and 4 and even Fallout.

I only started playing that game way later, being more of a shooter fun at the time, but my brother was saying how this this type of game was the best ever made and the future of videogaming. I thought he was wrong and that action games, like Doom, Blood Rayne and Diablo, would be the real future of videogames.
:negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom