Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

101 ways to rule the world with Alchemy!

AMDG

Novice
"No to all of the above"

I was hoping to have a smart NPC or a battle-ready brute. You know , like Fallout or Arcanum .
But I guess the party is forned by pureblood humans only ...

"after all those hundreds of years"

It worked for the games above ...

Now I guess the title is The Age of Decadence - Wellcome back to the Stone Age :)

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
AMDG said:
"No to all of the above"

I was hoping to have a smart NPC or a battle-ready brute. You know , like Fallout or Arcanum .
But I guess the party is forned by pureblood humans only ...
There is no party. You are all alone in the universe.

AMDG

Novice
"You are all alone in the universe."

Actually I kinda like that - take the lonewolf concept to new extremes . So I guess there is no romance , no evolving NPCs and so on ?

AMDG

Novice
So we have one person in the party , three ( or four ) endings , a limited array of social options and a battle screen that looks like a sharper version of Betrayal at Krondor , minus traps :)

Oh , and no monsters , just ( few ) humans .

suibhne

Erudite
MeanieVD said:
AMDG said:
So I guess there is no romance , no evolving NPCs and so on ?
No.

No elves with their wings savagely cut off, hanging around to whimper and love you? Forget it, then - it's like you learned nothing from the truly great CRPGs.

Vault Dweller

Developer
AMDG said:
So we have one person in the party , three ( or four ) endings , a limited array of social options and a battle screen that looks like a sharper version of Betrayal at Krondor , minus traps :)

Oh , and no monsters , just ( few ) humans .
Huh? Where does this awesome, but incorrect info come from?

suibhne said:
No elves with their wings savagely cut off, hanging around to whimper and love you? Forget it, then - it's like you learned nothing from the truly great CRPGs.
:lol:

AMDG

Novice
"No elves with their wings savagely cut off, hanging around to whimper and love you?"

Actually that romance was not challenging at all . And there are no elves . Strange , even in the strategy games of today the firms have noticed that a little bit of "romance" sells :)

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
AMDG said:
"after all those hundreds of years"

Fallout plays less than a hundred years after the Great War. Fallout 2 played a little later, but not too much. Dunno about Arcanum, but even assuming your're right that doesn't disprove VD's point. It makes sense that most machines from the old empire would be disfunctional.

AMDG

Novice
"Dunno about Arcanum"

2000 yrs :) Guess the automatons were build to last ...

Bradylama

Arcane

Well, let's think critically here. Assuming that you even had a flying device or a horseless carriage, you couldn't take it anywhere in a world like AoD without having somebody try to steal it. Every single House sure as Hell would take it by force.

Lumpy

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
You can't really expect to find a working device of that magnitude in mint condition after all those hundreds of years, can you? Wouldn't make sense.
Isn't that where Crafting, Alchemy and Lore could come in?

AMDG

Novice
"Isn't that where Crafting, Alchemy and Lore could come in?"

Sure - either we find/craft devices like in Arcanum, The Fall etc or those skills are worthless .

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Has our posts helped in any way? Did my groupings help? What, specifically, are you looking for? Different potions, powders, etc and how they can be used? If you gave us (or me at least) a larger idea of what you have I might be able to come up with more usefull ideas and help you get to where you want to get to.

So far, besides responding to questions, the only thing I see that came of this is that nitro is hard to make. (I'm not saying the thread is useless by any means, or the feedback has been poor, just that it seems a general question was asked the people that tried to answer might be able to answer better with more focused questions or responses.)

As a work around for nitro you could invent a whole new substance, just as hard to make, and as rare, but relies less on the scientific method. Like Phoenix Juice, and Bang Water. What is that? I have no idea. But it makes more sense, somehow, than nitro.

Bradylama

Arcane
What about the social ramifications of creating and using such devices? You think the magic-fearing people of AoD want to associate with some dude followed by a metal man?

Not to mention the armor, weapons, potions, or dialogue you can get through those skills. I imagine Lore is also a great way to make bank since it's easy for the Player Character to tell an artifact from a True Piece of the Cross.

AMDG

Novice
"You think the magic-fearing people of AoD want to associate with some dude followed by a metal man?"

One house is interested in old lore / tech .

"Not to mention the armor, weapons, potions, or dialogue you can get through those skills."

Mechanized Armor , or Human Flesh +5 ? Choices ... :)

Bradylama

Arcane
All of the Houses are interested in ancient lore. I guess the social impact of having a robot doesn't really matter, since the Houses would just take that too.

AMDG

Novice
"All of the Houses are interested in ancient lore"

One is trying to ban it .

Vault Dweller

Developer
Lumpy said:
Vault Dweller said:
You can't really expect to find a working device of that magnitude in mint condition after all those hundreds of years, can you? Wouldn't make sense.
Isn't that where Crafting, Alchemy and Lore could come in?
Crafting isn't Engineering, Alchemy isn't Chemistry, and Lore isn't Thaumaturgy.

Roque said:
Has our posts helped in any way?
They always do. However, if you mean this particular thread, it's old and the Alchemy system was finalized long time before the thread became active again.

If you gave us (or me at least) a larger idea of what you have I might be able to come up with more usefull ideas and help you get to where you want to get to.
You can learn the following alchemy techniques & recipes:
Healing salve - heals (duh!)
Berserk state (increases damage & DR, decreases accuracy, only hostile dialogue options available)
Neurostimulant (reduces AP cost for 2 turns)
Poison strength (damage per turn)
Posion potency (the # of turns)
Antidote
Corrosive acid (convinient way to deal with locks, gates, even armor)
Liquid fire (weapon coating)
Firewall for some tactical depth
Black powder to make these little guys

Here is another item I found in my gmail - link

Bradylama said:
Not to mention the armor, weapons, potions, or dialogue you can get through those skills. I imagine Lore is also a great way to make bank since it's easy for the Player Character to tell an artifact from a True Piece of the Cross.
Yep. Plus you can forge documents with Lore. Very handy.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Well, i guess thats what i get for not loking at dates. I'm so stupid.

AMDG

Novice
At least give us a flamethrower , or an explosive ammo for that crossbow :)

Paranoid Jack

Scholar

Is that a little vial of Greek Fire? And if so that looks as if it could be attached onto the end of an arrow or bolt, is that possible? Or are they both just grenades? Can they be thrown as well as placed? Sorry for so many questions... :shock:

Sweet grenades!

Lumpy

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
You can learn the following alchemy techniques & recipes:
Healing salve - heals (duh!)
Berserk state (increases damage & DR, decreases accuracy, only hostile dialogue options available)
Neurostimulant (reduces AP cost for 2 turns)
Poison strength (damage per turn)
Posion potency (the # of turns)
Antidote
Corrosive acid (convinient way to deal with locks, gates, even armor)
Liquid fire (weapon coating)
Firewall for some tactical depth
Black powder to make these little guys

Only these? Or are these ones just examples?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom