Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

101 ways to rule the world with Alchemy!

Lumpy

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
http://www.triodeel.com/images/deforest.jpeg
Ah, so it's a sort of magic-punk, modern-science-through-magic setting?

AMDG

Novice
Azaghâl said:
AMDG said:
At least give us a flamethrower , or an explosive ammo for that crossbow :)

You are a sick man :(

Last time I checked , the greek fire was launched from a flamethrower - but have it your way , it's not my game or something ...

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Greek fire was "launched" in many ways, including catapults. And I doubt these flamethrowers were good as anything but siege weapons.

Bradylama

Arcane
Aww. Here I was thinking that was some kinda magical vacuum tube. Lightbulb, though, makes sense.

Can't wait to see what the pre-war facilities look like if this is part of what we can expect.

AMDG

Novice
"Can't wait to see what the pre-war facilities look like if this is part of what we can expect"

We need more advanced weapons, or fun gadgets like in Arcanum - be sure to include a funny description btw .

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Bradylama said:
Aww. Here I was thinking that was some kinda magical vacuum tube. Lightbulb, though, makes sense.
It *is* a "vacuum tube".

AMDG said:
We need more advanced weapons...
Will you stop already? There no advanced weapons. They are gone. Destroyed in a freak accident when one of them fancy explosive crossbow bolts exploded. Such are the horrors of war, my child.

Sorry if you've posted this elsewhere, not entirely related to alchemy, but will you be including the ability to spread disease. Poisoning someone is definitely fun, but jamming a plague rat in the water supply could have all sorts of interesting results. I understand that it would be harder to locate a suitable vector over a simple bottle of poison, but in a medievil setting it certainly wouldn't be impossible.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
You are deviant. What kind of sick fucker wants to spread plague and disease?

Thydron

Liturgist
Will there be a poison that will kill someone outright if you slip it into their food? too many games i think leave this sort of this out in favour of balance, but lethal poisons have been around for a stupidly long time.

edit - also will you be able to slip people the other potions? for example giving someone the beserker potion making them go crazy and try to kill a load of people?

suibhne

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
AMDG said:
We need more advanced weapons...
Will you stop already? There no advanced weapons. They are gone. Destroyed in a freak accident when one of them fancy explosive crossbow bolts exploded. Such are the horrors of war, my child.

Personally, I think it's a troll. :wink:

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
hiciacit said:
Roqua said:
What kind of sick fucker wants to spread plague and disease?

The fucker that can sell the cure? :D

Ha. I guess thats a great way to make money rather than killing bad guys and selling loot, crafting, or "trade" like in gods:Lands Of Infintiy

But, in mos rpgs letting them die, grabbing their loot and selling it would probably be more profitable.

AMDG

Novice
"But, in mos rpgs letting them die, grabbing their loot and selling it would probably be more profitable"

Somebody could sell the cure a la Deus Ex.

I was thinking more along the lines of variety in the kill. If you're an assassin or maybe just in a really bad mood all the time, poison is fine but spreading disease was a viable and commonly used weapon against thine enemies.

Thydron

Liturgist
Can you lace someones food with the beserker stuf?? Is it possible to coat arows in the various potions? can you just lob the potions at someone? (thinking mainly of the greek fire for that)? can you coat a sword in beserker stuff? (i really want to get people to go mad and attack everyone around them :p)

Vault Dweller

Developer
Too powerful. Could wipe out an entire town, and we don't have too many of those.

Unless you have game breaking npc's, which I don't think you do , then disease would fuck that particular playthrough if you wiped out a town, but it wouldn't break the game. I would love a game where I was trying to kill a single guy, and instead wiped out the entire town thereby fudging my progress and story options.

Would it be that difficult to include some kind of statistically random deaths based on a disease being introduced to a town.

Vault Dweller

Developer
StraitLacedDeviant said:
Unless you have game breaking npc's, which I don't think you do , then disease would fuck that particular playthrough if you wiped out a town, but it wouldn't break the game. I would love a game where I was trying to kill a single guy, and instead wiped out the entire town thereby fudging my progress and story options.

Would it be that difficult to include some kind of statistically random deaths based on a disease being introduced to a town.
No, it won't be. The game won't break, but it would be less interesting. Sorta like if you use a nuke in Fallout and wipe out a quarter of the game world. In a game like DF/MW with hundreds of towns, wiping out one wouldn't affect things much. In a game like AoD where factions dynamics play a large role, it would be counter-productive.

A thought would be to not go so far as destroying a town, or even wiping out a large percentage. You could have the town changed for a fixed period, where a number of major npcs are inaccessilble due to illness. Afterwards the power dynamic of that town could drastically change, with major faction leaders having died, balance of power having shifted. It would be an interesting way to have a minor action have major consequences. Still since your storyline is locked down this isn't an option either.

Lumpy

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
StraitLacedDeviant said:

No, it won't be. The game won't break, but it would be less interesting. Sorta like if you use a nuke in Fallout and wipe out a quarter of the game world. In a game like DF/MW with hundreds of towns, wiping out one wouldn't affect things much. In a game like AoD where factions dynamics play a large role, it would be counter-productive.
That's why I think questline-essential NPCs should be unkillable. In a realistic world, killing Farmer Joe who gives you a tip about where to find the Book of Goatse, which is needed to progress in your quest, shouldn't be a problem, since there are probably many other people who know what Farmer Joe knows. Or you could ask the questgiver for another quest instead, explaining that the Book of Goatse cannot be found.
In a reasonably sized RPG, on the other hand, there can't be an infinity of Farmer Joes or and infinity of quests the questgiver gives you. Thus, killing Farmer Joe has an unreasonable, stupid consequence. So the player shouldn't be able to kill Farmer Joe.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Lumpy said:
That's why I think questline-essential NPCs should be unkillable.
We all know how well it worked out in Oblivion.

I believe that:

a) certain people should be hard to kill. NPCs like kings, warlords, generals, lords, etc should be well guarded and only an extremely well trained assassin or fighter should be able to get past the numerious elite guards. That in itself is an ultimate test of one's fighting skills and such battles should be as memorable as taking out one of them alien bases in XCOM.

b) decision to kill someone belongs (or should belong) to the player. The player should realize that killing a seemingly important character would most likely have some unforeseen, at the moment, consequences. If the player is ok with that or maybe hates an NPC with a rare passion (which would be "teh victary!" for me as the designer) and really wants to kill the fucker, then why should I say "No! Thou shalt not kill!"?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom