Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1997 was the greatest year in history of gaming

Cadmus

Arcane
Mario anything makes me want to vomit.

Because of overexposure or what? Mario 1, 3, World and 64 are fucking awesome games, and I even don't like platformers that much. Kart is grate as well.
Ever since I first saw PC games, I hated platformers. For the lack of a better term, they're not immersive to me in the least. I hate the jumping attack bullshit, I hate the non-violent design, I don't like the character and I hate the beeping music. These games just bore me to death. I didn't like the early 2d Duke Nukems, I didn't like Jazz Jackrabbit, Rayman etc. This genre is just horrible, imo. Of course add to that this horrible circlejerk about Mario and Zelda and shit from the reddit hipsters and I'm done.

I liked Wolf but I liked Doom better. I care about the graphics (too bad for me I guess, I wont get to enjoy the old, shitty-looking RPGs with amazing interactions and 30 key bindings for inventory management) and I care about some sort of simulation aspect to the games I play. Also, these old games didn't look good when they came out and they don't look good now.

Borelli

Arcane
Good games released in 1997:
7th legion
Age of Empires
Battle arena toshiden 2
Beast and bumpkins
Blade Runner
Blood
Blood omen Legacy of Kain
Broken Sword 2
Carmageddon
Civilization 2
Close Combat
Command and Conquer Red Alert Aftermath
Constructor
Curse of Monkey Island
Dark Colony
Dark Earth
Die Hard Trilogy
Dink Smallwood
Earth 2140
Dungeon Keeper
Fallout
Flying Corps Gold
G-Police
Hexen 2
Ignition
Incubation
Interstate 76
Krush Kill n Destroy KKND
The last Express
Little Big Adventure 2
Lost Vikings 2
Mageslayer
Myth
Need for speed 2
Abe's odyssey
Outlaws
Panzer General 2
Postal
Quake 2
Jedi Knight Dark forces 2
Shadows of the empire
Xwing vs TIe fighter
Turok Dinosaur hunter
Twisted metal 2
Warlords 3
Wing Commander 5 Prophecy
Xcom apocalypse
Warhammer 40k Final Liberation

games of 2014 ?

Dragon Age inquisition

assasin creed unity

far cry 4

:argh:
Dink Smallwood
fuckthat.jpg

While a good list otherwise, grouping games by the year is useless, what if i've played a '97 game in '98? or 2008? This is just childish, the Codex has known for a long time now what is incline and what is not.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
It's a list of games released in 1997 for the purpose of showing that a lot of good games were released that year. It is not a list of games that Borelli played in 1997.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Missing some, OP:

Nightmare Creatures
Tomb Raider II
Final Fantasy 7
Shadow Warrior

I'm sure there is plenty more.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Ever since I first saw PC games, I hated platformers. For the lack of a better term, they're not immersive to me in the least. I hate the jumping attack bullshit, I hate the non-violent design, I don't like the character and I hate the beeping music. These games just bore me to death.

:hmmm:

You do realize platformers and all these things you list are not mutually inclusive? That you can get violent platformers with great music and game rules that simulated real world ones to a reasonable degree?
You also realize that many a heralded classic features platforming in some form or other?
You never realized that PC games can be platformers too?

You surely realize you are a fag?

Cadmus

Arcane
Ever since I first saw PC games, I hated platformers. For the lack of a better term, they're not immersive to me in the least. I hate the jumping attack bullshit, I hate the non-violent design, I don't like the character and I hate the beeping music. These games just bore me to death.

:hmmm:

You do realize platformers and all these things you list are not mutually inclusive? That you can get violent platformers with great music and game rules that simulated real world ones to a reasonable degree?
You also realize that many a heralded classic features platforming in some form or other?
You never realized that PC games can be platformers too?

You surely realize you are a fag?
Don't care, I hate the fucking genre.
Don't like it in any games, least of all FPSs.
It's not my point, what the fuck is yours, you gay homolord? :hmmm: I don't think The Codex is also a home of hipster Mario loving cocksuckers to high enough degree so that I would need to apologize for not like every bullshit little random platformer.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Certainly a faggot for having immersion as a requirement for you to play a game. Immersion is the icing on the cake. Also games that do not intend to simulate real world rules or feature simulation design of any sort can still be very much immersive if they are highly engaging.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I don't think The Codex is also a home of hipster Mario loving cocksuckers to high enough degree so that I would need to apologize for not like every bullshit little random platformer.
No, you need to apology for not playing the other games in those list, such as Ultima VII, Civilization II, Darklands, Star Control II, Wizardry VII, Ultima Underworld, etc...

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted

So you must consider level design that consists entirely on one dimensional plane akin to Mass Effect to be good level design then? Oh wait, the Codex considers turn-based iso RPGs to be the pinnacle of design, so probably.

And no, I am not a huge fan of most platformers, but level design featuring verticality & platforming greatly adds to a game, even in the rare few iso games that feature it (though unfortunately all real time in my experience).
Just look at Deus Ex. Now swap Deus Ex's level design with Mass Effect's. This would be a disaster.

Cadmus

Arcane
I don't think The Codex is also a home of hipster Mario loving cocksuckers to high enough degree so that I would need to apologize for not like every bullshit little random platformer.
No, you need to apology for not playing the other games in those list, such as Ultima VII, Civilization II, Darklands, Star Control II, Wizardry VII, Ultima Underworld, etc...
Yeah those I'm sorry for. But there's just something about the Ultima universe that totally turns me off. It seems like the most generic fantasy land ever conceived =/

So you must consider level design that consists entirely on one dimensional plane akin to Mass Effect to be good level design then? Oh wait, the Codex considers turn-based iso RPGs to be the pinnacle of design, so probably.

And no, I am not a huge fan of most platformers, but level design featuring verticality & platforming greatly adds to a game, even in the rare few iso games that feature it (though unfortunately all real time in my experience).
Just look at Deus Ex. Now swap Deus Ex's level design with Mass Effect's. This would be a disaster.
You're a retard :salute:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Civilization II is from 1996.

Also, behold 1992 and weep:

Alone in the Dark
Amberstar
Breath of Fire
Chakan
Contra III: The Alien Wars
Dark Seed
Darklands
Dragon Quest V

Dune II
E.V.O.: Search for Eden
Final Fantasy V
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Ishar: Legend of the Fortress
King's Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow
Lunar: The Silver Star
Megaman 5
Metroid II: The Return of Samus
Might and Magic IV: Clouds of Xeen

Mortal Kombat
Ninja Gaiden
Prince of Persia 2
Quest for Glory I (VGA remake)
Quest for Glory III
Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny
Shin Megami Tensei
Shinning Force
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Star Control II
Street Fighter II
Streets of Rage 2
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario World 2
The Dark Queen of Krynn
The Legend of Kyrandia
The Lost Vikings
The Summoning
TMNT: Turtles in Time
Treasures of the Savage Frontier
Ultima Underworld I: The Stygian Abyss
Ultima VII: The Black Gate
Wizardry VII: Crusaders of the Dark Savant

Wolfenstein 3D

You know I love you Fallout, but 1992 is the best year by far.
'97 had less weeb shit.

Just kidding, I highlighted the games I've played/liked, and italicized the games I want to play. Both years were awesome, though I would spend all of today trying to figure out which one was better.

Was Breath of Fire really that noteworthy, though? I tried it once and it felt pretty mediocre compared to other JRPGs in that era.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Civilization II is from 1996.

Also, behold 1992 and weep:

Alone in the Dark
Amberstar
Breath of Fire
Chakan
Contra III: The Alien Wars
Dark Seed
Darklands
Dragon Quest V

Dune II
E.V.O.: Search for Eden
Final Fantasy V
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Ishar: Legend of the Fortress
King's Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow
Lunar: The Silver Star
Megaman 5
Metroid II: The Return of Samus
Might and Magic IV: Clouds of Xeen

Mortal Kombat
Ninja Gaiden
Prince of Persia 2
Quest for Glory I (VGA remake)
Quest for Glory III
Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny
Shin Megami Tensei
Shinning Force
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Star Control II
Street Fighter II
Streets of Rage 2
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario World 2
The Dark Queen of Krynn
The Legend of Kyrandia
The Lost Vikings
The Summoning
TMNT: Turtles in Time
Treasures of the Savage Frontier
Ultima Underworld I: The Stygian Abyss
Ultima VII: The Black Gate
Wizardry VII: Crusaders of the Dark Savant

Wolfenstein 3D

You know I love you Fallout, but 1992 is the best year by far.
'97 had less weeb shit.

Just kidding, I highlighted the games I've played/liked, and italicized the games I want to play. Both years were awesome, though I would spend all of today trying to figure out which one was better.

Was Breath of Fire really that noteworthy, though? I tried it once and it felt pretty mediocre compared to other JRPGs in that era.
You could be a dragon, though.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
This year is the best year in the history of gaming. Until the next year. Game over man, game over.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Fallout alone makes 1997 the best year in gaming. Then note Interstate76 and several (last) good Star Wars games (before Lucas changed the universe into a gay bar) and there are truly no contenders.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent

Heroes of Might and Magic III
Jagged Alliance 2
Planetescape: Tournament

System Shock 2
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
Thief Gold

:drink:

A user named cat

While not as good as '97, 2002 was a fine year as well before the true decline kicked in across all platforms.

Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast (best online game ever)
Divine Divinity
Eternal Darkness
Morrowind
Arx Fatalis
Age of Wonders II
Robin Hood: Legend of Sherwood
Age of Mythology
Rollercoaster Tycoon 2
Gothic II
Metroid Prime
Medieval: Total War
NoLF 2
Freedom Force
Stronghold Crusader
Battle Realms
Soldier of Fortune II
Sid Meier's SimGolf (one of the most overlooked, addictive games even for non-golf fans)
Icewind Dale II
Hitman 2
Disciples II
Mafia
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault (fuck off, this was great for the time before the CoDs came along)
Ratchet & Clank
Warcraft III
Resident Evil (remake)
Soulcalibur II
Neverwinter Nights (okay the vanilla game was balls but it made the way for some quality expansions and fan mods)
Splinter Cell

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom