Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1997 was the greatest year in history of gaming

Ninjerk

Arcane
you quoted planet escape

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I've been reading the 1997 issues of Computer Gaming World and made my chronological play list for 1997, and two things strike me:

1. 1997 was the year of Real Time Strategy and little originality. Half the games that year seems to have been games inspired by Warcraft 2 and Command&Conquer (Myth looks interesting, though). Of the rest, there's lots of First Person Shooters: Outlaws, Redneck Rampage, Shadow Warrior, Blood, Hexen 2, Dark Forces 2, and Quake 2, none of which are groundbreaking.

2. Very few CRPGs: Fallout, Hellfire, Betrayal in Antara and Lands of Lore 2 were the only noteworthy ones, and one was an expansion, and two of them were disappointing sequels.

So, I must disagree with the OP.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Nigga you bess be jokin. I know this is an old thread but nothing matches the sheer glory of 1998 in almost every genre. FPS stands out especially as the best 2 of all time were released that year, but also some pretty substantial other games. Sure your list has more titles, but it's about quality, not quantity. Trigger warning: may include traces of consolefaggotry in the interest of being :incloosive:

1998:

Half-Life
Unreal
Hardwar
Starcraft
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six
NFS 3
Fallout 2
Caesar 3
Grim Fandango
Gran Turismo
Legend of Zelda Ocarina of time
Thief
Baldur's Gate

:dealwithit:

Runner-up: 1992

Dune 2
Star Control 2
Ultima Underworld
Wolfenstein 3D
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Mortal KKKombat
Sonic 2
Alone in the Dark

Last edited:

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
97/98/99 all on even ground for me

any year that brings fallout 1/2 or age of empires 2 can't not be the best

Severian Silk

1997 was a great year for me for personal reasons.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
1. 1997 was the year of Real Time Strategy and little originality. Half the games that year seems to have been games inspired by Warcraft 2 and Command&Conquer (Myth looks interesting, though).
Funny you say that, since 1997 is imo the year to go to if one is looking for real time strategy/tactical/some weird hybrid games that aren't shit and uninspired. Myth, Close Combat, Beasts & Bumpkins, Dungeon Keeper, Total Annihilation, Dark Reign. Age of Empires is also a 1997 I believe, though obviously less innovative than those.

To be honest, in those times even the really basic RTS games like Dark Colony or KKND (both 1997) often actually had quite a lot of charm.

And 1997 has a metric ton of great games that were not RTS-thereabouts.

No denying it was a bad year for crpgs, still - Fallout makes up a lot, doesn't it?

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
So when 97 is coming back again ?

2097?
oJYosCa.gif

dhXHQfK.jpg

:philosoraptor:hmmm

octavius

Arcane
Patron
1. 1997 was the year of Real Time Strategy and little originality. Half the games that year seems to have been games inspired by Warcraft 2 and Command&Conquer (Myth looks interesting, though).
Funny you say that, since 1997 is imo the year to go to if one is looking for real time strategy/tactical/some weird hybrid games that aren't shit and uninspired. Myth, Close Combat, Beasts & Bumpkins, Dungeon Keeper, Total Annihilation, Dark Reign. Age of Empires is also a 1997 I believe, though obviously less innovative than those.

Myth, Dungeon Keeper and Age of Empires are on my play list.
I remember my gaming buddy and I were looking forward to DK, but I never played it due to bad reviews and the game not turning out as was originally advertised.
I also remember an old geezer at work who liked Age of Empires, but kept calling it Empires of Age.

To be honest, in those times even the really basic RTS games like Dark Colony or KKND (both 1997) often actually had quite a lot of charm.
And 1997 has a metric ton of great games that were not RTS-thereabouts.

Well, I've never been a fan of RTS games, and I recall being fed up with all the C&C clones that came out that year, and hardly a turn based Strategy game or CRPG

No denying it was a bad year for crpgs, still - Fallout makes up a lot, doesn't it?

I guess so. Back then I didn't like CRPGs that were not fantasy. But I've matured since then.

there's lots of First Person Shooters: Outlaws, Redneck Rampage, Shadow Warrior, Blood, Hexen 2, Dark Forces 2, and Quake 2, none of which are groundbreaking.

:notsureifserious:

Its like i always said. Innovation means shit, and people obsessing over it are retards.

Only thing that matters is good.

But I didn't comment on wether they are good or not, since with the exception of Quake 2 I haven't played them yet.

Last edited:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
there's lots of First Person Shooters: Outlaws, Redneck Rampage, Shadow Warrior, Blood, Hexen 2, Dark Forces 2, and Quake 2, none of which are groundbreaking.

:notsureifserious:

Its like i always said. Innovation means shit, and people obsessing over it are retards.

Only thing that matters is good.

They 'innovated' into modern call of duty and battlefield. From a fun single player shooters into shit multiplayer cancer.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I remember my gaming buddy and I were looking forward to DK, but I never played it due to bad reviews and the game not turning out as was originally advertised.
Goddamn, you've got some demanding reviewers there:incline: Anyway, I definitely recommend playing DK and all the other games I mentioned. Dark Reign and Age of Empires are probably the most skippable from that list. If you don't like RTS formula then the odds are you won't like Total Annihilation as well, though it's definitely a gem among classic RTS games.
I recall being fed up with all the C&C clones that came out that year, and hardly a turn based Strategy game
Imperialism, Pacific General, Panzer General II, Incubation - just from the top of my had. Wasn't so bad.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
How about 1995:

Hexen
In Pursuit of Greed
CyberMage
Crusader: No Remorse
Terminator: Future Shock
Fade to Black
I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
Full Throttle
Call of Cthulhu: Prisoner of Ice
Exile
Ravenloft
Stonekeep
Swords of Xeen
Celtic Tales
Command & Conquer
HoMM
X-COM: Terror From The Deep

or 1996:

Alien Trilogy
Crusader: No Regret
Descent 2
Duke Nukem 3D
Killing Time
Quake
Strife
Terra Nova
Terminator: Skynet
Tomb Raider
Azrael's Tear
Bad Mojo
Sentient
Broken Sword
The Dark Eye
Discworld 2
Albion
Daggerfall
Diablo
Exile 2
Chaos Overlords
Master of Orion 2
Settlers 2
Civilization 2

Both years are sucky when it comes to RPGs, but the rest is decent enough. :smug:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Good games in 1995 and 1996:

1995:
Star Wars: Dark Forces
Jagged Alliance
Heroes of Might and Magic
Hexen: Beyond Heretic

1996:
Duke Nukem 3D
Civ II
Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri
Final Doom
Quake
Daggerfall (kind of)
Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games
Heroes of Might and Magic 2
Master of Orion II: Battle at Antares (I assume. Haven't given it a real go yet)
Diablo

1996 was actually an excellent year.

KK1001

Arbiter
The mid to late 90s were excellent. Sprites came into their own, and we saw a lot of innovation in the shift from 2D to 3D.

We've spent over a decade now stagnating in how games are actually played. Everything since 2004-2005~ has been variations on the same shit with slightly prettier graphics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom