Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1st day purchases are for the dumb

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yeah, when you know you're going to like the game there's no reason to not preorder, unless you pre ordered Arkham Knight or something like that.

That is precisely a reason not to pre-order: You're putting down money on a product you don't know anything about except what they want you to know.

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I preordered Twitcher 3 and it was worth every Shekel spend on it.

Just don't be a dumbass.
If a company has proven several times in the past that they deliver a product that you immensly enjoy and you want to play it right now, feel free to buy it at the day of the release.
Same goes with DLC. SR Dragonfall, Heart&Stone have delivered great value for their price.
Though DLC != DLC.
I greatly approve of oldstyle Addon-like DLC. The shit that most of Mass Effects DLC consisted of (basically parts that should have been in the base game, maybe except the retarded additional followers in II and the last one of III) is utter cancer.

On the other hand, if you preorder shit from companies that are known for burning you, you are just creating your own misery or are asking to get ripped off.
And yes, there is absolutely no NEED to buy a game Day 1. But sometimes its totally acceptable to do it nontheless, because the FUNFUNFUN it provides greatly outweights the additional money you have to throw out.
Speaking only from a fiscal point of view, waiting for the multiple annual sales is the wise options, but money isn't always the highest factor in such an equation.

mondblut

Arcane
Or it is thanks to them that "bad" business practices is continuing to be used?

People who weren't using "bad" business practices are now begging for spare change at street corners. As someone who works in the field, I'd rather engage in "bad" practices and have my monthly salary, than do not and don't. :smug:

pippin

Yeah, when you know you're going to like the game there's no reason to not preorder, unless you pre ordered Arkham Knight or something like that.

That is precisely a reason not to pre-order: You're putting down money on a product you don't know anything about except what they want you to know.

Preordering implies you're still buying the entire product, like preordering a music album or a book. If the game ends up being technically shit, like Arkham Knight, then it's the devs' fault and not really the business model's.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Just don't be a dumbass.
If a company has proven several times in the past that they deliver a product that you immensly enjoy and you want to play it right now, feel free to buy it at the day of the release.

And yet there are countless examples of companies with a good track record 'suddenly' delivering a shit product, with Arkham Knight being but the latest example.

Track record is irrelevant, reputation is irrelevant. Games should be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This thread in a nutshell:

cutting_edge.png

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Just don't be a dumbass.

And yet there are countless examples of companies with a good track record 'suddenly' delivering a shit product, with Arkham Knight being but the latest example.

Track record is irrelevant, reputation is irrelevant. Games should be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

Could you name the countless companies? Because I'm having a hard time finding alot.

track record and reputation IS actually quite important.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
On one hand, I could start naming companies like EA and Ubisoft, but then I realized we have a whole thread going here where people have been recounting bad Day 1 purchases, and yet you're too fucking stupid to read it and figure it out for yourself.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
On one hand, I could start naming companies like EA and Ubisoft, but then I realized we have a whole thread going here where people have been recounting bad Day 1 purchases, and yet you're too fucking stupid to read it and figure it out for yourself.

EA and Ubisoft are NOT companies with good track records that suddenly release shit products. You failed your argumentation. Try again.

So, which companies? Countless...

Name then. Now.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I see your game. I name company X, you move the goalposts and say "they aren't good companies" or "they don't have a good track record" or "that wasn't their fault!" or whatever.

It's a no-win situation.

Against a known idiot.

The only move is not to play.

(And learn to spell, for fuck's sake.)

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Both Steam and Origin are offering pretty good refunds these days, so it's not that risky to pre-order. If it's a turd you can get your money back.

5 years ago day 1 purchasing was more of a thing since there wasn't that many decent games coming out, so you wanted to play the few that were released as soon as possible. These days there are more good games released than I have time to play, so it is much easier to wait for sales.

Refunds are fine if the game is broken. But most games just end up being mediocre. You can probably still get a refund but IMO its a bit immoral (since at that point you are directly costing them money for your playing and not liking the game, literally worse than piracy).

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech

But Ubi and EA ARE the most well known companies for delivering shit and burning you.
Hell, i even mentioned Mass Effect in my post.

Companies I'd day1 purchase: Harebrained, CDR, MAYBE Larian, Daedalic if they made a new Point&Click in the TDE or Deponia Universe, Egosoft (yes, despite Rebirth, they actually learn from their errors and the next game will again have multiple ships to fly).

Depending on your taste, there might be other companies where you could do the same.
I might have put Bohemia in there, but ARMA III is just to boring for me nowadays, with every other fucking server consisting of Survival or "RPG" (more like cocksucking the local admins) Mods instead of operating like operators. Though thats hardly Bohemias fault.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom