Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

2015 bad for PC gaming?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Underrail and Staglands, two of the most promising games in years, and you manage to neglect them both. Good job.

Good year for RPGs, shitty year for anything else.
It's pretty much been a shitty year, every year, for all genres since the 90's. At most you've had one decent or good title in a genre in a year. Exception being indie titles, of which there are now several potentially entertaining titles each year.

I guess you are right.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Underrail and Staglands, two of the most promising games in years, and you manage to neglect them both. Good job.

It's pretty much been a shitty year, every year, for all genres since the 90's. At most you've had one decent or good title in a genre in a year. Exception being indie titles, of which there are now several potentially entertaining titles each year.

The FPS genre has been completely and utterly dead since console FPS for some extremely stupid reason became popular. It's in a worse state than the RPG genre ever was because there's tons of them coming out, but all of them suck.

Black_Willow

Arcane

9ab8c045d2d826e4aa3ee53a67f729e1.552x522x1.png

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I have about as much interest in new games as in new books. Some come out that are good ? Great ! If they don't, it's not like I don't have enough to keep me busy with.

Besides, bad year for games = good year for my wallet.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Bloodborne, Persona 5, Final Fantasy XV

oh wait you mean PC :troll:

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I don't know if there is any hope for Bloodborne after Dark Souls 2. I don't really buy the whole A team B team explanation. FF XV will probably be as good as Kingdom Hearts and FF Type -0 which means not very good. So yeah Persona 5 seems to be the only good game on the horizon besides the Codex's favorites. So yeah, good game for RPGs, shit year for everything else. It's only fair after all these shitty years for RPGs. I mean in 2013 we got what? Shadowrun Returns? Saint's Row IV? Fuck all these other suckers.

EDIT:

Fuck them all to hell.

EDIT2:

Seriously let them all die. I grew tired of all these fuckers snarking about classic wRPGs being indie shit and boasting about their generic FPS games. Now I want to watch them suffer.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7219

Finally, after several shit years of gaming, a great year for everything PC.

Witcher 3, Pillars of Eternity, Age of Decadence, Torment: Tides of Numenara (maybe), Shadowrun: Hong Kong, Dreamfall Chapters, Batman Arkham Knight, Metal Gear Solid V (if it is as good as Ground Zeroes).

Only the edgiest of Codexers would not find something to like about 2015.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I want them to cry and pretend that shits like Uncharted 4 and The Order are great games just to fool themselves into thinking that their hobby isn't dying.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
The only good game coming in 2015 on PC is Grimoire. :troll:

y'all forgot about the new star wars battlefront by dice

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Witcher 3, Pillars of Eternity, Age of Decadence, Torment: Tides of Numenara (maybe), Shadowrun: Hong Kong, Dreamfall Chapters, Batman Arkham Knight, Metal Gear Solid V (if it is as good as Ground Zeroes).

Only the edgiest of Codexers would not find something to like about 2015.

Not going to ask about Dreamfall Chapters.

Ebonsword

Arcane
What, no love for the Resident Evil Remake that was just released or the upcoming Resident Evil Revelations 2? :(

TheGreatOne

Arcane
What the fuck OP. I know you're talking about PC games in general, but this is the RPGcodex and if 2015 is looking like a bad year to you, you should find a new hobby since this is shaping to be one of the best years of all time for RPGs, rivaling years like 92 and 99. It's never going to get this good again, it's a miracle that the 2015 release list looks as good as it does after a 10-13 year dry spell.
If Grimoire gets released, Torment delivers and Underworld Ascendant&Seven Dragon Saga were both released during 2015, I don't think that even any year in the 80s/90s could compete with 2015(*), espescially if you also count the JRPGs. Almost all subgenres would be covered in some form, some by games that might end up being some of the best games in their respective subgenres: Grimoire (TB blobber), Torment (storyfag), Pillars of Eternity&Serpent (RTwP), Seven Dragon Saga (tactical RPG), Underworld (FPP 3D dungeon crawler), a ton of TB CRPGs (AoD, Underrail, Shadowrun etc), Witcher 3 (AAA storyfag/insipid hack n slash) [SMTxFE (+Yasumi Matsuno's new game)=SRPG, Bloodborne=ARPG, Persona 5 (and Xenoblade X if it doesn't suck)=JRPG]... only thing that's missing is a FPS-RPG, a really open sandbox RPG and/or a Realms of Arkania/Darklands type game.
(*) There were more releases back then, but there are more potential 4/5 star games in the 2015/2016 line up than there were in any individual year during the 80s/90s

Or each and every one of those games might end up being like Wasteland 2 (ie a dissapointment), but hey, 2015 would still be better than any year between 2005 and 2013. That's how much things have improved in a couple of years. Dragon Age Origins was codex GOTY in 2009, now Wasteland 2 is kind of meh because there's so many other TB CRPGs in the horizon/on the backlog. You should be sent back to the year 2008/2009/2010 so you would learn some gratitude.

Cadmus

Arcane
I just realized I'm bored with games again so the only games I'm looking forward are MGS to play with a friend as per our tradition, Shadowrum and maybe The Witcher 3 but since I won't have money for the new PC, I don't think I'll play it any time soon. If Age of Decadence or Cleve's magnum opus come out, it will only be a plus. I totally don't care about the shit FPS AAA popamole, I don't care about any of that shit games.

I've got a huge backlog of the codexian classics that I keep discarding one by one on account of them being shit but I still got plenty left so there's no reason to be getting anything I don't want 100%.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I agree with the majority in this thread, 2015 is shaping up to be a good year for PC gaming. Can't say I was much interested in anything released in the past 3 years except Wasteland 2.

On the RPG front I'm looking forward to Pillars of Eternity, Torment: Tides of Numenara, Underrail (maybe), The Age of Decadence (possibly), and Sui Generis (unlikely).

On the good PC port front there's Batman: Arkham Knight, I'm really looking forward to strike fear into the hearts of criminals again. And Grand Theft Auto V is sure to provide hours of popamole fun (once I've managed to get the damn thing to start), especially in multiplayer.
And with me being a huge Star Wars fag, I'll probably end up playing the new Star Wars: Battlefront even though my expectations are low.

And those are the new games. I started playing Deus Ex yesterday, loving it, and that's the first of the countless games I'm interested in playing but have never gotten around to. Suffice to say, this year will push me back on that list even further. :D

deuxhero

Arcane
2015 is looking bad for PC exclusives, but it's the year Japan seems to have finally realized PC ports are easy money and killed the main reason consoles still existed. Koei Tecmo (After last year's port of Dynasty Warriors 8 hit Steam they announced Bladestorm and Dead or Alive with Samurai Warriors found in the SteamDB. They are also selling their Japan only horse jocky simulator that was already on PC via Steam) and Namco Bandai (the licensed fighting games were first, and now one of their Tales of games have appeared in the SteamDB and the new Tekken is pretty much confirmed for PC) have gone all in with decent ports, Konami financial meetings saying its bigger for them than the 3DS, Vita and Xbone with SE dipping their toes and Sega doing... something. I think those make up the majority of the Japanese publishing market.

Last edited:

Suicidal

Arcane
Carmageddon, PoE, Darkest Dungeon are already enough for me. Probably won't have time to play them all anyway since I still haven't finished WL2 and a lot of other stuff.

pippin

2014 saw the rebirth of decent games for the dedicated pc gamer and 2015 seems to be just part 2, so there's nothing to be really worried about. Even average games are better than most things released from 2005 to 2013.
Speaking of Hong Kong, the estimated delivery date for backer goodies was August, IIRC, so the game should be released in the secord half of this year. The only thing I'm really worried about is PoE being extremely buggy, but you still can wait for the game to be reasonably patched (which is what I'm doing with WL2 and D:OS).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom