Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

2015 (Not so)Independent Games Festival

• Thread starter Robert Jarzebina
  • Start date

Dexter

Arcane
Aslo, as Pyke said, art is subjective and for me Wanishing is slightly kitschy.
20110201-PatternMondz.jpg

garden-of-monet.jpg

Which is better and why? We already know what the Indie circlejerk would vote for.

Also, since "Pixel art" was also discussed in the other thread, which is better and why? We already know what the Indie circlejerk would vote for.
B5mGOvTCQAAK-0n.png:large

animated-gifs-of-fighting-game-backgrounds-31.gif

animated-gifs-of-fighting-game-backgrounds-29.gif

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Code:
Aslo, as Pyke said, [B]art is subjective[/B] and for me Wanishing is slightly kitschy.

People always find it hard to believe that Piet Mondrian is one of my favorite artists.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
20110201-PatternMondz.jpg

garden-of-monet.jpg

Which is better and why? We already know what the Indie circlejerk would vote for.

Also, since "Pixel art" was also discussed in the other thread, which is better and why? We already know what the Indie circlejerk would vote for.
B5mGOvTCQAAK-0n.png:large

animated-gifs-of-fighting-game-backgrounds-31.gif

animated-gifs-of-fighting-game-backgrounds-29.gif
Yeah, because comparing uninspired crappy (okay, maybe not uninspired crappy. there's seems to be something in it) pixel art with some of peak moments of pixel art is the same as comparing multiple styles with another failed attempt at photorealism.

Turjan

Arcane
People always find it hard to believe that Piet Mondrian is one of my favorite artists.
He had his moments. Also, this one always reminds me of the original SimCity:

Piet_Mondriaan%2C_1942_-_Broadway_Boogie_Woogie.jpg

Someone should make a SimCity (1989): Piet Mondrian Edition.

Last edited:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
We already know what the Indie circlejerk would vote for.

Yes, I'm pretty sure that those who aren't trust-fund babies come from households which had Kincade prints in gilded wooden frames on their walls, so naturally, they have to pretend, that they are different from their elders.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Almost everyone that can draw can create graphics like in "else Heart.Break()", but only small group of artists(the best of the best) can create visuals at Ethan Carter level - you not only need to be extremely talented as Pyke but you need to have extreme knowledge of using modern engine to have running this stuff at decent FPS.

If you think that any dispshit running with camera and taking 100 pictures of his village can create graphics like in Ethan you can be more stupid.

Yeah, that's quite a lot of bullshit. "Photorealistic" graphics are everywhere these days and they only require technical knowledge (and money). Talent, not so much.

Bur I also do think that the graphics for the other game are shit too, showing absolutely nothing interesting.

Next you're going to be praising Fallout 3 over Fallout.

What now? Assburgers going wild?

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
He had his moments. Also, this one always reminds me of the original SimCity:

Piet_Mondriaan%2C_1942_-_Broadway_Boogie_Woogie.jpg

Someone should make a SimCity (1989): Piet Mondrian Edition.

The fact that 70 years later his art is STILL used as a primary example of 'modern' is incredible. The man was creating the definitive versions of modern art before the discovery of Pluto. Gandhi was actual CURRENT NEWS when he created Composition II. Nowadays if art is considered current in a few months its considered a success. Can you think of a SINGLE piece of art created today that will be referenced in 2085?

It may be because of my work as a architectural artist that I love most of the De Stijl artists - and his work is very much the embodiment of that entire movement.

Fuck I sound like a stuck up artist now.

Bewbs.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
The fact that 70 years later his art is STILL used as a primary example of 'modern' is incredible. The man was creating the definitive versions of modern art before the discovery of Pluto. Gandhi was actual CURRENT NEWS when he created Composition II. Nowadays if art is considered current in a few months its considered a success. Can you think of a SINGLE piece of art created today that will be referenced in 2085?.

Well, he lived in a time, were the logical endpoints of abstract / modern art were defined, but he is more pleasant and interesting to look at, than these.

231px-Kazimir_Malevich_-_%27Suprematist_Composition-_White_on_White%27%2C_oil_on_canvas%2C_1918%2C_Museum_of_Modern_Art.jpg
239px-Kazimir_Malevich%2C_1915%2C_Black_Suprematic_Square%2C_oil_on_linen_canvas%2C_79.5_x_79.5_cm%2C_Tretyakov_Gallery%2C_Moscow.jpg

Turjan

Arcane
The fact that 70 years later his art is STILL used as a primary example of 'modern' is incredible. The man was creating the definitive versions of modern art before the discovery of Pluto. Gandhi was actual CURRENT NEWS when he created Composition II. Nowadays if art is considered current in a few months its considered a success. Can you think of a SINGLE piece of art created today that will be referenced in 2085?

It may be because of my work as a architectural artist that I love most of the De Stijl artists - and his work is very much the embodiment of that entire movement.
Oh, you don't need to tell me. Although I was more of a Kandinsky fan, also of other "Der Blaue Reiter" works. I had a print of this one (from 1925) hanging over my bed as a teen:

47-000296-01bis.jpg

Last edited:
In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Oh, you don't need to tell me. Although I was more of a Kandinsky fan, also of other "Der Blaue Reiter" works. I had a print of this one (from 1925) hanging over my bed as a teen:

47-000296-01bis.jpg
Jesus, there's something about doing at least a few composition exercises that breaks one's brain, because I like it now.

Personally I strongly prefer the more organic ones like this one and these two:

Well, he lived in a time, were the logical endpoints of abstract / modern art were defined, but he is more pleasant and interesting to look at, than these.

231px-Kazimir_Malevich_-_%27Suprematist_Composition-_White_on_White%27%2C_oil_on_canvas%2C_1918%2C_Museum_of_Modern_Art.jpg
239px-Kazimir_Malevich%2C_1915%2C_Black_Suprematic_Square%2C_oil_on_linen_canvas%2C_79.5_x_79.5_cm%2C_Tretyakov_Gallery%2C_Moscow.jpg

over the thingie that Pyke has linked.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
down.jpg

This screen makes me slightly rage. I hate when they use just textures to represent such damage to surfaces in 3D.

Contrast with:
Fallout_Van_Buren_Screenshot.jpg

Dexter

Arcane
I'll be honest, I'm not much of a fan of "modern and abstract art", I think that was about the point when "art" started to turn to shit that doesn't require any skill and is always about the "expression":
8uFVNR0.png

http://www.theguardian.com/artandde...s-vagina-paintings-performance-art-milo-moire
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...oke-that-launched-an-artistic-revolution.html

Although some of it is aesthetically pleasing, the closest I can get to liking it is Impressionism as above or Surrealism e.g. Dali or Escher:
Salvador-Dali-The-Persistence-of-Memory-1931.jpg

treppauf-und-treppab-m-c-escher.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/204240/

Which also inspired some great game artists: http://nnm.me/blogs/flimmern/daniel_dociu/

If you want to see where games are heading if they fulfilled these people's definition of "art", look no further than this amazing interactive Screensaver they praised or "Gone Home": http://store.steampowered.com/app/313340/

"Welcome to an existential nightmare." - Patrick Klepek, Giant Bomb
"The time I spend with Mountain feels slightly more real to me than anything else inside my computer." - Leigh Alexander, Gamasutra
"“Mountain” upends expectations, refusing to fit into preexisting categories." - Justin Cone, Motionographer
"I don’t like to talk emotions but this game genuinely is so uplifting." - Alice O'Connor, Rock Paper Shotgun
"The only experience that has ever made me feel sad about a geological phenomenon." - Andrew Webster, The Verge

I like Pyke's game especially because it seems skillfully made and not thrown together or low budget like some of this pixel art or 3D art like Walking Dead or the game above that just screams "we had no money for proper 3D artists and/or didn't want to put in the effort".

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I think that The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter suffers from being 'too' good looking for an indie game. Honestly you could compare it visually to The Last Of Us.

I feel that there is a 'backlash' that's going to happen (is happening?) to the 'pro-indie' games. With tools being more accessible and budgets increasing - indies CAN now compete with AAA games in visuals. The 'problem' is that people start seeing those games as not indie, because they don't need to use specific styles of art direction to cover up a lack of AAA access to art.
I think that computers are still pretty far away from the point where styles aren't needed to cover for technical deficiencies.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I'll be honest, I'm not much of a fan of "modern and abstract art", I think that was about the point when "art" started to turn to shit that doesn't require any skill and is always about the "expression":
Abstract art is all about showing off composition skills.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom