Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

2017/09/27 - Mask of the Betrayer is now a decade old.

Sykar

Arcane
and now to skullfuck people who claim that the hunger mechanic was a bother

The spirit meter was the best thing possible to prevent restscumming in a d&d game. It perfectly fitted into the story, made the game feel more fast paced (as it should be, you're truying to save your own soul, after all) and supported different playstyles. The IE games ability to rest anytime with little to no consequences is killing me, playing IWD2, I just can't resist the urge to press the damned button after every encounter.

Also resting in every dialogue. "Would you mind if we rested here" :negative:

Eh, a simple summon spell to call for a spirit wolf (?) then suppress it is all it take. I dont remember much but spirit meter is simple to deal with. Anyone saying otherwise is just a plain noob.

Or they are not morons who undercut mechanics by exploits.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
He didn't provide a good example of a theme. "Masks" isn't a theme, it's a motif. I also wouldn't say masks is a very prominent thing in MotB, apart from the name, there really is no metaphorical masking that takes place. Either "masking your true self" or "masking your motives", quite the contrary - the masks have already fallen, Akachi has done his rebellion, so whether his loyalty wasn't true isn't important; Kaelyn has found out where she was guiding souls and has started a rebellion of her own; Gann makes no attempts to hide his hagspawn-ness and even reveals himself in dreams of women; etc. Masking also presupposes an intentional act, so the mystery of what the curse is isn't "masking", it's simply an unknown question. The themes of MotB are punishment and the aftermath thereof, justice, the sins of the past and maybe loyalty. I'm sure people are going to find examples of breaking illusions or will say that the Shadow Plane is masked somehow, but it still needs intention for it be "masking".

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
and now to skullfuck people who claim that the hunger mechanic was a bother

The spirit meter was the best thing possible to prevent restscumming in a d&d game. It perfectly fitted into the story, made the game feel more fast paced (as it should be, you're truying to save your own soul, after all) and supported different playstyles. The IE games ability to rest anytime with little to no consequences is killing me, playing IWD2, I just can't resist the urge to press the damned button after every encounter.

Also resting in every dialogue. "Would you mind if we rested here" :negative:

Eh, a simple summon spell to call for a spirit wolf (?) then suppress it is all it take. I dont remember much but spirit meter is simple to deal with. Anyone saying otherwise is just a plain noob.

Or they are not morons who undercut mechanics by exploits.
Bitch please~ You are playing a fucking Hero of the Neverwinter . You have access to spells of highest level. You just defeated a powerful wraith of the olden days. A simple curse like that might work with simple mooks but if the OC hero can not deal with it He wouldnt survive the ordeal or get chosen to be teleported away.

Dumb fucks should not ask others to be as dumb as themselves. Git gud, scrub!
(and to elaborate: It's a simple matter of having each one in your party remember a summon creature spells, create undead or shadow. before rest, cast it then suppress. Voila! it's like eating or sleeping. If you are not a magic users surely you can find or make a rod of summon creature I. It should be a very simple matter for the Hero of Crossroad Keep at minimum level 18)

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i wouldn't call summoning a creature for purposes of spirit eater manipulation to be an "exploit". what is the difference, in game/universe, between calling forth a wolf to attack someone (who may possibly kill it) or calling the wolf to "eat it" yourself? why would this be an exploit?

also remember that the way "timers" in a game affects people is rooted in psychology, just like list making and lots of other aspects found in video games, with some people freaking out over any timers or limitation to how they can use resources, and some others coolly handling them.

(Spirit Eater mechanic = timer)

i mean why else do you think Job Deadlines are so important in real life?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom