Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware (3)DS games worth playing

J1M

Arcane
I haven't followed the DS in recent years. Has anything come out to top the likes of Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes?

Given that mobile phone games are universally crap, the idea of picking up a 2DS might be attractive. Have any decent handheld games been produced recently?

J1M

Arcane
Do you already have a DS? If not, you might consider using that money for a notebook and a USB controller with emulators, especially if it's convertible / detachable. Barring that, even your smartphone / tablet will do as Android 5 and above will natively recognise USB controllers. On top of that, you seem to want turn-based games so you would not even need a controller: virtual touchkeys are awful for real-time games because you don't feel the keys under your fingers and keep hitting the wrong ones, but they are just fine for turn-based gameplay.

If you really want to go that route and get a DS, there are some great turn-based games, like the Etrian Odyssey series (merciless dungeon crawlers) or even Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon which is much closer to the game you mentioned.

But again, on a mobile phone, at least get that MyBoy GBA emulator and the two Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy Tactics and maybe even the acceptable LotR The Third Age (shameless Fire Emblem clone). Surely you can test the waters before shelling money on DS games.
I had a DS that eventually developed a broken shoulder button and dead pixels. The question is not really about trying to save $100 or whatever. I like the tactile feedback of real buttons but I'm unsure if any good software was developed in the last 3 years.

pippin

I've considered getting a handheld but the only game I really want is Dragons Crown, I'm a sucker for sorceresses with big tits DnD style beat em ups. Since the Vita is dead now, I'm thinking of getting one since prices are bound to drop soon, but at the same time, I don't want to waste that much money on a Dragons Crown machine.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It'll also be something to play the Odin Sphere remake on, which is arguably better than Dragon's Crown (along with Muramasa).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom